post #4861 of 5590 Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

You want an answer, but do you really deserve one? That's definitely debatable. (not directing this at you in particular, just this group as a whole)

Look at it from their point of view. The vast, vast majority of purchasers are happy. Then there is a small contingent of people who noticed a difference between what they saw in the theater and what they got in the extended version blu-ray and are very, very vocal about their displeasure at something that the majority of people either didn't notice, or don't care about. This same group picks apart every blu-ray release and is rarely happy with any of them.

Would you spend (read: waste) the resources to appease a group of people who have already purchased your product? What good would come out of them giving you info? Are you all of a sudden going to be happy with the changes if Peter Jackson comes out and says "Yes, the changes were intended?" Be honest with yourselves. It wouldn't matter.

I guess I just don't see what motivation they would have to try to appease this group. Honestly, and bluntly, this group cannot be appeased, and anything they would do would fall on deaf ears. Even if they re-edited FOTR and re-released it, it wouldn't stop everyone from bitching about the next big release that has any kind of issue. There's no brand loyalty here, and the people willing to boycott the studio as a whole are few and far between.

TLDR: Would it be nice to get clarification? Yes. Will it happen? No.

Ever hear of the expression "to take pride in one's work?" That's why Jackson should care. For no other reason. We're just making him aware. If he is aware, we are reminding him of this virtue. IF he meant to do it, we're are giving him our feedback.

I think you are wrong though. I don't think I've complained about any other release other than maybe "The Never Ending Story." This is just such a frustrating case for most of us who really like the movies. It's soooooo clearly either a mistake or a bad choice on Jackson's part.

Here's how this could play out:

Jackson realizes there is a mistake and by virtue of pride alone, at least fixes it in the next release. That would be a perfectly fine solution for me since I haven't purchased yet.

Jackson gives us an answer that we disagree with. At least then we can stop waiting for a fix. We might bitch of him for his decision, but I call that feedback. Nothing wrong with a little feedback.

I really don't see the problem with us continuing to bitch in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5590 Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
PJ is probably bogged down right now with THE HOBBIT making sure he meets his December deadline. I am sure that after all is said and done on that project, he will look into the green tinge thing on this BD. Personally I am more upset with the EE than the green tinge and so I don't see a complete re-issue for the sake of 10, 000 people. 1M people? Maybe. I am one of the said 1% not happy with the BDs and the green tint is the least of my concerns at this time.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4863 of 5590 Old 03-14-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

I guess I just don't see what motivation they would have to try to appease this group. Honestly, and bluntly, this group cannot be appeased, and anything they would do would fall on deaf ears. Even if they re-edited FOTR and re-released it, it wouldn't stop everyone from bitching about the next big release that has any kind of issue. There's no brand loyalty here, and the people willing to boycott the studio as a whole are few and far between.

- The vocal few CAN influence better quality releases. Re-releases of The Fifth Element, Gladiator, Gangs of New York and Pirates of the Caribbean are a few examples.
post #4864 of 5590 Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- The vocal few CAN influence better quality releases. Re-releases of The Fifth Element, Gladiator, Gangs of New York and Pirates of the Caribbean are a few examples.

Sales are what they listen to, and all of you mostly bought it.
post #4865 of 5590 Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

And now (quietly) the non tinkered with

"The French Connection"
post #4866 of 5590 Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Sales are what they listen to, and all of you mostly bought it.

I didn't buy it and I won't. See "pride in one's work" explanation above. Why, if you sweated and toiled to make a piece of art, and just one person out of 10,000,000 told you it had been altered, would you not simply tell the studio to make an easy fix the next time they release it?

I want there to be a HUGE body of discussion on this topic for when Jackson is done with the Hobbit.

CAVX, what's your issue with the EE other than the color/brightness?
post #4867 of 5590 Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

CAVX, what's your issue with the EE other than the color/brightness?

Quote:

Personally I am more upset with the EE than the green tinge

If I read his post correctly and his usage of "than" in comparing "EE" and "green tinge", he's saying there is Edge Enhancement... unless he just doesn't like the Extended Editions, period. I'm not sure what he means either...
post #4868 of 5590 Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

If I read his post correctly and his usage of "than" in comparing "EE" and "green tinge", he's saying there is Edge Enhancement... unless he just doesn't like the Extended Editions, period. I'm not sure what he means either...

Yes EE is Edge Enhancement and these films have EE knob abuse. I posted screen caps a while ago and where the EE was so bad is it seen on timber on the set as well as everything else. Personally I think there no need for EE at all on 1080P and the mount in this trilogy makes some things look as if they have a halo. It is distracting to the point where I have watched each film right through once and will probably not watch them again.

Yeah the green tint did annoy me in places, but no where as bad as the EE did through the entire trilogy. The Extended Editions of these films are awesome and should look that way BD as well.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4869 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 AM

Have you guys seen the LOTR 4k trailer on youtube? Looks like Jackson has removed the green cast but the grass is still lush.

Here is a comparison with EE on the left(notice green cast in the sky) and TR on the right. Both blu ray

4k shot looks stunning
post #4870 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 536
The EE of Fellowship was poorly transferred and color timed and Warner knows it.

However, we may not get a proper trilogy until The Hobbit is released and/or the new 4k format. Jackson may have had LOTR tinkered with for a 4k theatrical run and 4k media.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4871 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
If there's a "4K" LOTR product, it must be an upscale. Otherwise, they'd have to go back and

* re-transfer

* re-render

* re-DI

Certainly, a theatrical re-release of this series would warrant it, but when has that ever been enough?

I don't feel special...
post #4872 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsen View Post

Have you guys seen the LOTR 4k trailer on youtube? Looks like Jackson has removed the green cast but the grass is still lush.

Looks more like some random jackass upscaled the original TE blu-ray.
post #4873 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Looks more like some random jackass upscaled the original TE blu-ray.

LOL! Maybe. But I downloaded the 1080p and 4k versions and the 4k does look sharper when maximized on my screen.

Either way, the colour on the 4k version looks completely reworked compared to EE and TR. Did you watch the entire clip?

The same guy posted The Hobbit in 4K and it looks amazing.
post #4874 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsen View Post

LOL! Maybe. But I downloaded the 1080p and 4k versions and the 4k does look sharper when maximized on my screen..

That's more likely a result of youtube's heavy compression softening the image at a given resolution.
The guy might've tweaked the colors (simple enough to do while you're editing together a trailer) but it's the old transfer. The telecine wobble gives it away.
post #4875 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
This thread is still around? People still doubt the serious goof? Wow.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #4876 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, now that the thread's been bumped ....

I finally got to watch both the theatrical and extended blu-rays this past week while housesitting for my relatives who have a sim2 1080p projector and a huge screen.

Now, I must preface this by saying that I do not know whether this projector has been calibrated (I intend on asking my uncle). The DNR settings are definitely turned off, as I could see the fine grain on titles like Minority Report. Seeing as how everything was professionally installed, I would guess a calibration happened as well.

Anyway, the FOTR extended blu looked gorgeous to my eyes. I didn't find the color timing distracting in the slightest. I'm not noticing a blanket tint. I'm more and more convinced this is how Jackson and Lesnie meant for it to look. Most significantly, the luminance of the image hasn't been badly affected. Even shots I remember looking dim in screenshots (Gandalf approaching Isengard on horseback), had a nice dynamic range.

The only scene I noticed looking significantly different was Caradhras.

We have to remember that only 70-80% of the movie was put through the DI process originally. Even with this finished DI, they might've wished to go back and change the timing of certain scenes further.

Oh, and I was pleased to discover that the easter egg 4-minute preview for The Two Towers can indeed still be found on disc two of Fellowship and is now in 1080p! None of the reviews had mentioned it and I'd been kicking myself for selling off my dvd's. I love that trailer!
post #4877 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post

Oh, and I was pleased to discover that the easter egg 4-minute preview for The Two Towers can indeed still be found on disc two of Fellowship and is now in 1080p! None of the reviews had mentioned it and I'd been kicking myself for selling off my dvd's. I love that trailer!

How does one find this Easter egg?
post #4878 of 5590 Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

How does one find this Easter egg?

Under Special Features, there are two options - Commentaries and a picture of the ring. Choose the ring.
post #4879 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

Choose the ring.

Oh sure and end up dead. Or at best heavily aged and missing a finger.
post #4880 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Anyway, the FOTR extended blu looked gorgeous to my eyes. I didn't find the color timing distracting in the slightest. I'm not noticing a blanket tint. I'm more and more convinced this is how Jackson and Lesnie meant for it to look. Most significantly, the luminance of the image hasn't been badly affected. Even shots I remember looking dim in screenshots (Gandalf approaching Isengard on horseback), had a nice dynamic range.

Nope there is no difference at all:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=59846

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=59621

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=59783

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #4881 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Nope there is no difference at all

He didn't say there's no difference; he said he enjoyed the look.

I don't feel special...
post #4882 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Nope there is no difference at all:

In all fairness, Fang Zei didn't say there was no difference, he said he "didn't find the color timing distracting in the slightest", that's different.

[edit] oops spectator beat me to it
post #4883 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Exactly....still unwatchable. I'll wait.
post #4884 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

What does this mean?

Whether you like the new look or not... Anyone with an eye... and a willingness to see it... can see the drastic color and density differences throughout the entire FOTR EE BD.

PS... I am very pleased with the level of detail... I just think the color is awful!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #4885 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 12

Sunglasses on...sunglasses off....sunglasses on...sunglasses off...
post #4886 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM

This has to be a mistake. I don't see how production company of that stature would be that lazy to just add a filter to the entire image. Or even the entire film from some reports.

I think the fact that some people can see it and some don't could be down to the white balance control on the TV. It would be more visible if it's set to "warm" for instance.
post #4887 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Exactly....still unwatchable. I'll wait.

Have you watched it?
post #4888 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you watched it?

How could he? It's "unwatchable"!

I don't feel special...
post #4889 of 5590 Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

how could he? It's "unwatchable"! :d

lol
post #4890 of 5590 Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you watched it?

On my TV vs my computer screen....no, but what's the point? It will look slightly different on any source. Point is, it's not what it could have been. I'll wait until they fix this obvious flaw. Why should I waste $ to watch a flawed transfer?
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page