Forum Jump: 

post #4951 of 5590 Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

Agree with you there: The second revisions appear inevitable, I'll buy the flawed Blu Ray set, and rather than adjust my set I'll attempt to rip, adjust, and re-encode the FOTR video since presumably someone will have perfected a process by then. Yes I'll lose quality, but the principle of adjusting your set to watch one movie is just a hard one to get over.

Luckily, my Panasonic projector has 15 different programmable "user settings" where I can save my re-grading. I wish I could say that FELLOWSHIP was the only title I tweak, but in truth I have almost all 15 of those settings saved for various different titles. However, I can safely say that FELLOWSHIP was the MOST tweaking I've had to do for any one title... with the exception of the non-anamorphic dvd versions of the original unaltered STAR WARS trilogy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 5590 Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 AM

Liked: 12
So you think the green tint is awful? Here we go >>>

Quote:

All is not well in Middle Earth.

Director Peter Jackson debuted ten minutes of footage from his upcoming "Lord Of The Rings" prequel, "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey," at CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Tuesday, and the number of negative reactions was startling.

Jackson is shooting the hotly anticipated film in 3D and using new 48fps (frames per second) technology, which is twice the standard frame rate that has been used to make movies since the 1930s. "The Hobbit" will be the first major studio film to be shot using 48fps.

Unfortunately, the new technology has not received a warm response. Following the CinemaCon presentation, the website FilmDrunk noted that "everyone hated it."

Badass Digest's Devin Faraci said the footage had "that soap opera look you get from badly calibrated TVs at Best Buy."

He continued:

"The footage I saw looked terrible … completely non-cinematic. The sets looked like sets … sets don’t even look like sets when you’re on them live, but these looked like sets. The magical illusion of cinema is stripped away completely.”

An anonymous projectionist from a competing studio echoed those sentiments in an interview with Los Angeles Times. "It looked like a made-for-TV movie. It was too accurate -- too clear ," the projectionist said. "The contrast ratio isn't there yet -- everything looked either too bright or black."

Source:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1452391.html
post #4953 of 5590 Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Please take the posts concerning the Jackson's decisions concerning the Hobbit to this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134770

Let's keep this thread focused on the tech. aspects of the Blu Ray release of LOTR's Ext. Ed.

Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #4954 of 5590 Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Now that the price dropped again I ordered this... Should be here Thursday - I'm pretty excited to see it!

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #4955 of 5590 Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Picked this up on Black Friday deals week, great deal for $40. The year before I picked up the original trilogy for $8 each movie on the same deals week.
post #4956 of 5590 Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy2k7 View Post

Picked this up on Black Friday deals week, great deal for $40.

I did the same thing. It was a no brainer at that price.
post #4957 of 5590 Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy2k7 View Post

Picked this up on Black Friday deals week, great deal for $40. The year before I picked up the original trilogy for $8 each movie on the same deals week.

The entire set was $7.99 on black friday 2010.

post #4958 of 5590 Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
what are my DVD EE boxsets worth? They are in great shape. I heard there was a buy-back from Amazon, but I don't know too much about that. PM if interested.....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #4959 of 5590 Old 05-06-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

The second revisions appear inevitable, I'll buy the flawed Blu Ray set, and rather than adjust my set I'll attempt to rip, adjust, and re-encode the FOTR video since presumably someone will have perfected a process by then. Yes I'll lose quality, but the principle of adjusting your set to watch one movie is just a hard one to get over.

Quality loss through a re-encode is not necessarily inevitable if the bitrates are maintained or even exceeded for ease of encoding. Even if they are not, many seem to be happy with the extra 50% compression in x264 re-encodes.

The real issue is the right filters to undo the tint without affecting something else.

It's a sad day when the enthusiast has to resort to re-encoding to get a decent result for a popular title.
post #4960 of 5590 Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Personally, I'm more miffed that the theatrical cut, the version of the film that was nominated for 13 oscars, got a lousy-enough transfer to warrant a tier copper ranking.

To me, the lack of absolute white in FOTR's extended blu-ray transfer is the only sign there may have been a screw-up. But who knows? Maybe Jackson and Lesnie intended this. I don't see a blanket tint, that's for sure. The green is more prominent in the Shire daytime exteriors than in previous transfers, but Caradhras looks blue, not green. As for brightness issues, we've seen comparisons between the transfers showing there is actually more clarity during certain scenes in the extended. Dig up eric.exe's fotr theatrical screenshot thread, cinema squid's theatrical screenshots and the shots from the extended at blu-ray.com. Closeups of Aragorn looking at weathertop and of Arwen at the Ford of Bruinen look hands down better in the extended transfer.

We have to remember that the previous transfers are not only telecines of filmouts of the DI, but telecines of filmouts of the incomplete DI. That's two huge variables to take into account. This straight-from-the-DI transfer was always gonna look different.

Also, didn't someone in this thread talk about how Towers and King always looked a lot brighter than the first movie even back in the dvd days????
post #4961 of 5590 Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

So is TF3 3D version, but nothing is done about that either. Seems like once the titles are released the studios couldn't give a rats arse any more so we all have to suffer.
post #4962 of 5590 Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I'm still going to assume that the LOTR Trilogy will be re-released in HD with further tweaks/enhancements/scenes and probably soon after The Hobbit comes out on video.

Then The Hobbit will get yet another re-release with an extended cut just like what happened with LOTR. Probably with 4k Blu-ray along with 2D/3D @ 48 fps.

Then we'll see a penultimate release of the entire series...

Point being, I think I'll wait and not have to deal with this particular release and its issues.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4963 of 5590 Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I'm still going to assume that the LOTR Trilogy will be re-released in HD with further tweaks/enhancements/scenes and probably soon after The Hobbit comes out on video.

Then The Hobbit will get yet another re-release with an extended cut just like what happened with LOTR. Probably with 4k Blu-ray along with 2D/3D @ 48 fps.

Then we'll see a penultimate release of the entire series...

Point being, I think I'll wait and not have to deal with this particular release and its issues.

yeah pj is going lucas on us.

neflixis our nemesis
post #4964 of 5590 Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
still working my way through the trilogy, but really surprised about all the new material added to the 2 towers and return of the king. don't know what the run times for each are (3-4 hours?) , but they're so long i fell asleep before the end of each. will re-watch this week with an earlier start time.

neflixis our nemesis
post #4965 of 5590 Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

still working my way through the trilogy, but really surprised about all the new material added to the 2 towers and return of the king. don't know what the run times for each are (3-4 hours?) , but they're so long i fell asleep before the end of each. will re-watch this week with an earlier start time.

Your not the only one to fall asleep

Frank

post #4966 of 5590 Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

To fall asleep during LOTR? Blasphemous.

I don't think I've ever fallen asleep during a film, videogame, web-surfing, or TV show. Something about the glow of a screen keeps me awake endlessly. None of my friends or family seem able to stay awake for things, yet I'll be wide awake while 7 others sleep around me.

It's my gift. It's my curse. LOL
post #4967 of 5590 Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm the same. I have fond memories of sitting on a couch with 6 sleeping people watching Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Two different times.
post #4968 of 5590 Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Bickering and condescending posts have been removed and infractions issued to the posters of same. Further non-constructive posts will be removed and the author(s) banned from the thread with no further notice.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4969 of 5590 Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone know if the new release of the Extended Editions (UPC 794043151293) that comes out in the US on 22 May is meant to correct any of the color problems talked about in this thread? Same list price, $119.98, so it is not a reduced price release. What gives?
John
post #4970 of 5590 Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganj1 View Post

Does anyone know if the new release of the Extended Editions (UPC 794043151293) that comes out in the US on 22 May is meant to correct any of the color problems talked about in this thread? Same list price, $119.98, so it is not a reduced price release. What gives?
John

Good question.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Pic...6715495&sr=1-1

Amazon listed the set comes on "one" disc. Everything must be super compressed since there are viewers who hate to swap the disc.

Maybe the only difference is the new edition doesn't include the code for Digital Copy because the original edition Digital Copy is going to expire.
post #4971 of 5590 Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm...
LL

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #4972 of 5590 Old 05-11-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

So... who is going to be the brave one and buy the new UPC? Somehow I doubt highly that this will be fixed. Also, Gladiator was fixed and sent out under the same UPC as well as different UPCs. UPCs are not necessarily exclusive.
post #4973 of 5590 Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

It's not like I don't like LOTR, I just want to to look as good as it possibly can be. If they fix this, I'll be there day one throwing money at them.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #4974 of 5590 Old 05-12-2012, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

So... who is going to be the brave one and buy the new UPC? Somehow I doubt highly that this will be fixed. Also, Gladiator was fixed and sent out under the same UPC as well as different UPCs. UPCs are not necessarily exclusive.

Unless the "broken" edition complains impacted the sales, why would WB rush to fix it especially Peter Jackson said it's intended to look that way?

The cheapest method to re-release the Extended edition after the Digital Copy has expired is either extend the expiration date or re-released the same edition without Digital Copy code and new UPC code since it's technically a different "edition".

My guess is until WB has run out supply of the bonus materials on DVD discs and Extended Edition price has dropped much lower at regular retail price, they may reauthor all the bonus materials onto fewer Blu-ray discs or drop the discs. Also, until WB has officially said FOTR "green tint" is a remastering error, I don't think they have the reason to fix it.

Just look at how "newer" edition of Blu-ray movies are done. Most just get a new slip-on cover. Some earlier Blu-ray movies that never got TrueDolby or DTS Master got a new art insert with the same original disc. I have a few older 2-disc Blu-ray movies got "new" edition as single disc and dropped all bonus materials. If you watch the pattern, repackaging with all or fewer original edition is Hollywood favorite thing to do. Cheapest and trick some buyers to buy the same movies they already own. I almost want to say Blu-ray is getting fewer quality "remastered" compared to earlier DVD days.
post #4975 of 5590 Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Unless the "broken" edition complains impacted the sales, why would WB rush to fix it especially Peter Jackson said it's intended to look that way?

No he didnt we have been thru this.

Jackson & Lesnie never commented on the color re-grading. You will not find a press release or quotation from Jackson or Lesnie about the green tint.

On the bonus features they specifically outline the entire digital grading process the film went through. It is a carry-over from the DVD release and it shows them commenting on the initial color grading process for the theatrical presentation (and that it was carried over to the eventual EE release,) it has nothing to do with the color timing specific to this blu. The same bonus feature was present on the original EE DVD release.

The only official comment dealing with the issue is that Warner PR dept statement.

post #4976 of 5590 Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

No he didnt we have been thru this.

Jackson & Lesnie never commented on the color re-grading. You will not find a press release or quotation from Jackson or Lesnie about the green tint.

On the bonus features they specifically outline the entire digital grading process the film went through. It is a carry-over from the DVD release and it shows them commenting on the initial color grading process for the theatrical presentation (and that it was carried over to the eventual EE release,) it has nothing to do with the color timing specific to this blu. The same bonus feature was present on the original EE DVD release.

The only official comment dealing with the issue is that Warner PR dept statement.

I must be out of date on the info because I stopped following a month after the Extended Edition. Does make you wonder after the remastering of FOTR was completed, who sign off the quality control. Or they knew about the "green tint" was an error but they didn't want to do another remastering due to time and cost.
post #4977 of 5590 Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

About the frame rate, if there was ever a release for home video with a frame rate of more than 24fps, I think the best they could do for home video is 30fps Progressive...Or possibly, 60i to achieve 30fps?

Anything faster would have to be interlaced such as 24fps INTERLACED to possibly get the look of 48fps??? I don't even know if there is a standard of 24Interlaced for Blu-ray or even if a HDTV would be able to display such a beast.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #4978 of 5590 Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

The cheapest method to re-release the Extended edition after the Digital Copy has expired is either extend the expiration date or re-released the same edition without Digital Copy code and new UPC code since it's technically a different "edition".

Thanks, I think this is the most logical explanation for the new release. I just looked at the cheesy back cover from the EE package and it states the digital copy "offer expires June 26, 2012"

Sony just did the same thing last week with Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, new UPC on nearly identical packaging, only difference - no digital copy.
John
post #4979 of 5590 Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If you like Steelcase, Best Buy has all three TE for $10 each. The discs supposed to be the same as regular edition.

An idea if you like to have the Blu-ray edition movie plastic case like the DVD Extended Edition that has the FOTR in green box, TT in red box and ROTK in blue box. HD DVD movie case is red and The Incredible Hulk (1st print) movie case is green. I have never seen any other Blu-ray movie released in green case than Hulk. Standard Blu-ray movie case is already blue.

If you need to turn a single disc Blu-ray movie case to hold 2 discs, I use regular DVD "eco-friendly" case. The center disc holder is easier to cut out since there are holes around it. Then use double sided tape to glue the disc holder onto the left side of the Blu-ray case.
post #4980 of 5590 Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

This thread is huge and I'm new to the party so I apologize if its been discussed, but I just got the Blu-Ray EE set and watched Fellowship last night. Now I haven't watched my DVD EE version of the film in a couple years but I could swear there was one or two new scenes in this Blu-Ray EE release that I do not remember seeing in the DVD EE. Any truth to this? Or am I just not remembering them? The run time does seem longer than I remember too, but maybe that's due to the fan credits that were added.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page