Forum Jump: 

post #5491 of 5590 Old 02-02-2014, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

That's just peachy: get the consumer to pay again to get a fixed set of discs with the excuse of additional material they held back from the initial release anyway and a non-standard audio to boot (7.1 and 5.1 are the standards that are assured of working correctly with all equipment AFAIK).

the LOTR movies were released in 6.1. You cant really blame warner for releasing these movies in the same format as when they were shown in the theatres. Thats the same as complaining about Nosferatu doesnt have any 5.1 soundtrack.

AVfile likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5590 Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Correction about the audio... The LOTR Trilogy was theatrically released with Dolby Digital EX audio. 5.1 + 1 matrixed mono back surround embedded in the left and right side channels (still 5.1). During the heyday of the DVD format, DTS came out with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, an extension of their compression codec where the mono back surround was a full range and discrete channel.

So, on some select titles audio post houses from Mi Casa to Lucas Digital were employed to take the PCM audio stems and remix them so that instead of the final encoding being Dolby Digital EX from a 5.1 PCM master, you got DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 from a brand new 6.1 PCM master. Mi Casa handled the remix for LOTR.

Since Warner Bros. can be cheap bastards, they decided that since the DVD cuts of the extended editions already had 6.1 PCM tracks gathering dust, they could just compress them with DTS MA lossless and slap them on the blu-ray editions. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. There would be no need to spend any money on yet another remix. This time in 7.1 discrete.

Paramount did the same thing with Top Gun on Blu-ray. It already had a 6.1 PCM mix from the DVD era that had been encoded as DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 previously. That's why even the 3D conversion had the same 6.1 audio rather than a new 7.1 remix. They too are lazy and cheap.

Perhaps when Jackson decides to get around to updating and correcting the extended cuts of LOTR they'll finally get new 7.1 mixes.

Since there is a push towards object oriented audio with UHD media, I would rather they do Dolby Atmos like re-mixes. DTS has a new object surround codec called DTS-UHD, and if it's as good as Atmos for the home... encode the new mix with that.

I think I can wait for a UHD version of the LOTR as long as it's really well done. Though the masters are 2k, at least UHD also means a much wider color gamut and greater than 8 bit video depth.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5493 of 5590 Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

Warner Bros. has this line in their press release:

"includes the newest transfer of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring which was remastered from the original 2k digital files"

If this new set were to have a transfer with either a brighter white point or less green tint, Warner Bros. would have so many angry e-mails from both sides of the fence:

US Version: "You flat out lied when you said the US Version was confirmed as correct, and the UK Version proves it! We demand replacements!"
UK Version: "You confirmed the US Version was the correct one, therefore our UK version is defective. We demand replacements!"

My bet is it will be the exact same transfer.

Ha ha ha; can't wait!

Once again benefiting from delaying my purchase. biggrin.gif
post #5494 of 5590 Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

Warner Bros. has this line in their press release:

"includes the newest transfer of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring which was remastered from the original 2k digital files"

If this new set were to have a transfer with either a brighter white point or less green tint, Warner Bros. would have so many angry e-mails from both sides of the fence:

My bet is it will be the exact same transfer.

I think that's a safe bet .. the way they worded the line ...

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5495 of 5590 Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Ha ha ha; can't wait!

Once again benefiting from delaying my purchase. biggrin.gif
um, don't get your hopes up... they used the exact same language for the original EE disc, "newly remastered from the original 2K digital files". And with WB being WB, nothing about this blurb suggests as much as a different encode.
post #5496 of 5590 Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

um, don't get your hopes up... they used the exact same language for the original EE disc, "newly remastered from the original 2K digital files". And with WB being WB, nothing about this blurb suggests as much as a different encode.

Then the debate continues, and I keep waiting. wink.gif
post #5497 of 5590 Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

The black crush due to subdued white values that has been substantiated is much more of an issue to me. I don't care who considers it sacrilege....that's their business, just as it is your business to consider the current color timing sacrosanct.

All of the other merits of the film stand on their own, but why should I waste my time seeing those merits through a dark, green filter? Am I in a rush to view the 25 hour epic any time soon? No. I have plenty of other material to keep me entertained. Probably more than I will be able to view in my lifetime. That's why I continue to harp on LOTR. Someone needs to fix this mess while I'm busy. Why hide our feelings? Once things get sorted out, I'll sit down for a nice long adventure. smile.gif
I watched the EE LOTR trilogy again this weekend.
Yes, at time scenes look sort of green tinted but at times like in rivendale at FOTR, scenes look to tan.
I see the push to green and tan throughout the 3 movies.
Also, there are scenes that look soft when galadira and Froto are talking in FOTR as well as other scenes that have soft, less detail pictures.

There are so many things that are not "real" when it comes to reality, if that's what they are trying to achieve or you believe should be.

I believe no matter what they do, you will not be happy because there is no way at this point in time for you to compare what was ACTUALLY SHOWN in theaters to satisfy that any version released to the public for home viewing is an exact replica of the version shown in theaters.

I believe we currently have the best available versions for home viewing and those who are scrutinizing color timing, DNR or resolution for PERFECTION will never enjoy these films of high definition and great story because they are for ever LOOKING FOR FLAWS.

post #5498 of 5590 Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 12
I suspect we might eventually see a corrected transfer when PJ and WB get around to the grand boxset of all six movies, but even then I have my doubts. There's been so much back and forth debate as to whether there even is an error with the transfer. Robert A Harris insists he didn't notice any issues. WB would probably just see the release of a new transfer as creating a huge problem for themselves, for the exact reasons listed earlier in the thread.
post #5499 of 5590 Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

No rush.
post #5500 of 5590 Old 03-03-2014, 06:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I believe we currently have the best available versions for home viewing and those who are scrutinizing color timing, DNR or resolution for PERFECTION will never enjoy these films of high definition and great story because they are for ever LOOKING FOR FLAWS.

I disagree. Imo the best available for FotR is the HDTV broadcast.
AVfile and Osirus23 like this.
post #5501 of 5590 Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post

EE or TE?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #5502 of 5590 Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's kinda sad.
post #5503 of 5590 Old 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

EE or TE?

EE
Quote:

That's kinda sad.

In what way? That the broadcast is better than the Blu?
post #5504 of 5590 Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EE
In what way? That the broadcast is better than the Blu?

Yep, and in that people still claim that the Blu-Ray that they paid for looks fine.
post #5505 of 5590 Old 03-04-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't know the EE was on cable. Saw the TE on The Movie Network and it looked great, better than the already decent EE DVD, but the sound is way better on the EE DVD.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #5506 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

His word against mine; literally. wink.gif
post #5507 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
OT posts removed. Back on topic, please.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #5508 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Peter liked the transfer. biggrin.gif

What is the status of the Blu-ray of Lord of the Rings?
Quote:

Jackson:
Well, it keeps changing. I am not the best person to ask about that believe it or not as I am not in charge of the Blu-ray, Warner Home Video is. I believe it is scheduled for sometime next year. They keep changing the date…I don’t know why. I’ve seen the Blu-ray as they sent it to me to approve and I looked at the film and it looks fantastic on Blu-ray but I don’t know the date.

http://collider.com/exclusive-peter-jackson-talks-lord-of-the-rings-blu-ray-and-says-the-hobbit-is-still-2011/

post #5509 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

http://collider.com/exclusive-peter-jackson-talks-lord-of-the-rings-blu-ray-and-says-the-hobbit-is-still-2011/

And I must concur .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5510 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's he supposed to say? "Uhh...yeah, the studio kinda messed up the first one, uhhh, but it's not worth fixing, soooo buy it anyway." tongue.gif
post #5511 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Quote:
Jackson:
Well, it keeps changing. I am not the best person to ask about that believe it or not as I am not in charge of the Blu-ray, Warner Home Video is. I believe it is scheduled for sometime next year. They keep changing the date…I don’t know why. I’ve seen the Blu-ray as they sent it to me to approve and I looked at the film and it looks fantastic on Blu-ray but I don’t know the date.

Keep in mind, he said this about the DNR'd Theatrical edition. The next question right after that one is:
Quote:
And it’s still being separated as the theatrical Blu-ray and then down the road a extended cut Blu-ray?
Jackson: I think so. Again, I’m not 100% certain actually, I could easily find out for you. I think they were just going to do the theatrical version first.
Viche likes this.
post #5512 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep in mind, he said this about the DNR'd Theatrical edition. The next question right after that one is:

Brilliant. wink.gif
post #5513 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

There was no DNR in the TE according to some of the apologists on this forum. They were noticeably silent about it once the EE came out.
Viche likes this.
post #5514 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

There was no DNR in the TE according to some of the apologists on this forum. They were noticeably silent about it once the EE came out.

As will be the case when the green crush is vanquished.
Osirus23 likes this.
post #5515 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As will be the case when the green crush is vanquished.
LOL

post #5516 of 5590 Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I didn't know the EE was on cable. Saw the TE on The Movie Network and it looked great, better than the already decent EE DVD, but the sound is way better on the EE DVD.

The battle of our time. The board has been set. When Minas Morgul sends that beam of light, there's a lovely sound from that on the EE DVD versus the Blu-Ray/Satellite... On Blu-Ray/satellite it sounds like a loud echo like squeal but on the EE DVD it has a nice deep bass sound.
AVfile likes this.
post #5517 of 5590 Old 03-06-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

The battle of our time. The board has been set. When Minas Morgul sends that beam of light, there's a lovely sound from that on the EE DVD versus the Blu-Ray/Satellite... On Blu-Ray/satellite it sounds like a loud echo like squeal but on the EE DVD it has a nice deep bass sound.

That's okay because Jackson thinks the Blu-Rays are perfect, so we don't need to worry about anything.
post #5518 of 5590 Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

That's okay because Jackson thinks the Blu-Rays are perfect, so we don't need to worry about anything.

He also thought it was a good idea to split the 300-page novel of The Hobbit up into three 3-hour films. smile.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5519 of 5590 Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

He also thought it was a good idea to split the 300-page novel of The Hobbit up into three 3-hour films. smile.gif

How dare thee question the creator?!
Osirus23 likes this.
post #5520 of 5590 Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
The interview quoted is from 2011, he was referring to the threatrical versions, and WB is his employer... Anyway... It's amazing that this thread is still vigorously alive!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page