The Lord Of The Rings Extended - Page 185 - AVS Forum
First ... 183  184  185 186  187 
Blu-ray Software > The Lord Of The Rings Extended
xvfx's Avatar xvfx 11:45 AM 03-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

He also thought it was a good idea to split the 300-page novel of The Hobbit up into three 3-hour films. smile.gif

I'm so glad it is and it's more than 3 hours.... The Hobbit was 3 hours 45 minutes or there about?

Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z 12:17 PM 03-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

I'm so glad it is and it's more than 3 hours.... The Hobbit was 3 hours 45 minutes or there about?

Theatrical cut: 169 minutes.
Extended cut: 182 minutes.
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman 01:34 PM 03-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

The Anyway... It's amazing that this thread is still vigorously alive!
Yes, it appears some believe they are Anakin Skywalker in ROTS. wink.gif
Osirus23's Avatar Osirus23 01:37 PM 03-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

How dare thee question the creator?!

After sitting through two miserable Hobbit films I have to strongly question the judgment of PJ as of late.
Viche's Avatar Viche 02:45 PM 03-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

After sitting through two miserable Hobbit films I have to strongly question the judgment of PJ as of late.

Clearly you are not an appreciator of Jackson's art or of the Tolkien lore represented by these films. You are not worthy to express descent within this forum. Be gone!

(just repeating arguments that have been used against me when I questioned the green crush tongue.gif )
tenthplanet's Avatar tenthplanet 10:17 PM 03-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Clearly you are not an appreciator of Jackson's art or of the Tolkien lore represented by these films. You are not worthy to express descent within this forum. Be gone!

(just repeating arguments that have been used against me when I questioned the green crush tongue.gif )
Summon the dragon! Let Smaug judge the forum. biggrin.gif
RWetmore's Avatar RWetmore 06:35 PM 03-10-2014
I just got ROTK. These films need to be re-mastered in at least 4K and the digital effects re-done. They don't look that good. Maybe after the Hobbit is complete Weta can spend the necessary time redoing these. I'd like to see that.
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 09:41 PM 03-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

I just got ROTK. These films need to be re-mastered in at least 4K and the digital effects re-done. They don't look that good. Maybe after the Hobbit is complete Weta can spend the necessary time redoing these. I'd like to see that.

Should be, but we know that isn't going to happen. They'll do some upscaling trickery with the 2k files and you'll get a wider color gamut and probably 10 bit, but they'll never re-render all of the CGI effects to 4k and recreate the movie files from scratch. It would cost hundreds of millions more.
wuther's Avatar wuther 06:40 PM 03-11-2014
Quote:

And 10 years from now the Hobbit CG will not look good. Guess that will have to redone in the future as well and in the next 20 years and so on and so on and so on...

And yeah when LOTR came out people were amazed by the CG just like the Hobbit CG now.
RWetmore's Avatar RWetmore 06:47 PM 03-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

And 10 years from now the Hobbit CG will not look good. Guess that will have to redone in the future as well and in the next 20 years and so on and so on and so on...

And yeah when LOTR came out people were amazed by the CG just like the Hobbit CG now.

I was not amazed with it. It came across as somewhat rushed and unrefined. I suspect because they were so pressed for time with each movie coming out just one year apart. Many effects, even CG, stand the test of time if originally well done. These films could significantly benefit from all the CG being redone with the kind of care they all probably would have wanted if there was the time (and money).
xvfx's Avatar xvfx 06:57 PM 03-11-2014
Whats so bad about Lord of the Rings? It doesn't look that bad unlike the long arms of Ronny Cox and Ed-209 in Robocop Remastered.
Niroe64's Avatar Niroe64 07:34 PM 03-11-2014
Quote:

I was not amazed with it. It came across as somewhat rushed and unrefined. I suspect because they were so pressed for time with each movie coming out just one year apart. Many effects, even CG, stand the test of time if originally well done. These films could significantly benefit from all the CG being redone with the kind of care they all probably would have wanted if there was the time (and money).

Still, when watching older movies like LOTR in comparison to the Hobbits, you have to admire their use of much more prosthetics and props over CG. When I first saw the hobbit the CG almost ruined the movie for me. I think the second one is better about it but still.
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 08:28 PM 03-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

They should re-do the CG in RoboCop then.

Oh wait there wasn't any? Well this is a good time to change that!

That's the only thing in Robocop that bugged me... the use of stop motion animation with Ronny Cox's death scene. Die Hard did it right... they had Alan Rickman drop into a blue screen air bag and composited him into a real background plate with a bunch of flying paper, so it looked like he really was falling to his doom. The matte lines were very clean and it looked quite realistic. Old school effects trump CGI any day.

But I do get your point. biggrin.gif
xvfx's Avatar xvfx 08:57 PM 03-11-2014
While this goes off topic for a moment, one of the great things regardless of old effects. There was some special feeling when watching Robocop on Plasma. It felt like the old days of CRT's watching it in the late 80s. The look of the film felt like film yet it was so clear plus the subtle noise that I loved. Like that feeling of going to the video store for VHS rentals but without the film grain.

While I do love Lord of the Rings, truly love the films but sometimes it reminds me of watching matt action paintings with some scenes. It's interesting but doesn't feel as good as some of the older stuff. It's a strange feeling that I can't seem to describe. I don't really see the flaws of Lord of the Rings.

Though, to some extent The Hobbit in a way seems more thrilling to me due to the dark build up of the Necromancer. I always wanted to see more of Sauron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

That's the only thing in Robocop that bugged me... the use of stop motion animation with Ronny Cox's death scene. Die Hard did it right... they had Alan Rickman drop into a blue screen air bag and composited him into a real background plate with a bunch of flying paper, so it looked like he really was falling to his doom. The matte lines were very clean and it looked quite realistic. Old school effects trump CGI any day.

But I do get your point. biggrin.gif

Plus it was slow motion and dark. Ronny's death felt accelerated plus the daylight shows it up badly.
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 10:44 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

While this goes off topic for a moment

No worries....

There! Back on topic. wink.gif

Viche's Avatar Viche 10:48 AM 03-12-2014
Thanks, I was about to do the same. biggrin.gif
Let's remember what's important here people!
RWetmore's Avatar RWetmore 03:25 PM 03-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroe64 View Post

Still, when watching older movies like LOTR in comparison to the Hobbits, you have to admire their use of much more prosthetics and props over CG.

Definitely, though strangely Jackson prefers the CG (listen to the commentary on the 1st Hobbit Extended Edition).
Osirus23's Avatar Osirus23 03:29 PM 03-12-2014
I still think LotR looks great, its still less distracting than some of the awful effects and touch ups in The Hobbit.
wuther's Avatar wuther 05:09 PM 03-12-2014
Quote:

Have you seen 1963's Cleopatra? No CG is going to look as good (present or near future) cause the gigantic scenes were real and being shot on 65mm means in 4K it is going to look great while CG will have artifacts.
Quote:

You are right, the Hobbit appeared quite rushed with an obvious CG look and floaty characters. They should go back and redo the Hobbit and not embarrass themselves next time.
wuther's Avatar wuther 06:28 PM 03-13-2014
I should mention that one person who actually worked on LOTR told me the 3D assets were rendered at 4K although that does not mean the composition work was.
42041's Avatar 42041 09:57 PM 03-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

I should mention that one person who actually worked on LOTR told me the 3D assets were rendered at 4K although that does not mean the composition work was.
Given that the negative was scanned mostly at 2K, that sounds very dubious.
nathanddrews's Avatar nathanddrews 06:47 AM 03-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Given that the negative was scanned mostly at 2K, that sounds very dubious.
I can't confirm LOTR FX resolution being 4K, but I can tell you that I have many issues of Computer Graphics World going back to the 90s and rendering FX at a higher resolution combined with some form of super-sampling is a common practice. Most FX work for films are rendered at very high resolutions with extremely detailed models, lighting, and textures before being integrated and downsampled to the final DI.
Viche's Avatar Viche 09:40 AM 03-14-2014
If people are complaining about the quality of the 3D FX in LOTR, imagine how much worse it would be if we were to see it in all it's original, 4k, un-downsampled glory.
nathanddrews's Avatar nathanddrews 03:26 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:

Die Hard did it right... they had Alan Rickman drop into a blue screen air bag and composited him into a real background plate with a bunch of flying paper, so it looked like he really was falling to his doom. The matte lines were very clean and it looked quite realistic. Old school effects trump CGI any day.

Easily one of the best death scenes ever shot.

Viche's Avatar Viche 03:45 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Easily one of the best death scenes ever shot.

Cool scene. FX-wise, coulda done without the thick black border around the hands and shirt cuffs. Papers look less realistic than I remember as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnUUKijpB6w&hd=1
nathanddrews's Avatar nathanddrews 06:18 AM 03-19-2014
For those of you that don't want green, but want bad filtering, the theatrical trilogy is only $13!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086B89JO
Laserfan 06:29 AM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

For those of you that don't want green, but want bad filtering, the theatrical trilogy is only $13!
My goodness that's a crazy price. Why did I buy the box set!!!?!!!
AVfile's Avatar AVfile 09:36 PM 03-19-2014
That's the barebones movie only set. Now sold out again already!
Laserfan 06:50 AM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I understand that, but even at (present) $20 bucks that is dirt cheap for these movies.
Thebarnman's Avatar Thebarnman 10:31 PM 04-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Available again according to Amazon on April 6th, 2014.
First ... 183  184  185 186  187 

Up
Mobile  Desktop