The Lord Of The Rings Extended - Page 187 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
post #5581 of 5639 Old 08-16-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Given the model of your receiver, you're only playing the DTS lossy track off the Blu-ray. You'll have to move up to something that can decode DTS Master Audio lossless. The bass is thunderous on my setup.

Perhaps something that can decode Dolby Atmos as well.
A lot of current BDs do not even give a lossy option so I guess that poster would be missing out of a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5639 Old 08-16-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
A lot of current BDs do not even give a lossy option so I guess that poster would be missing out of a lot.
Yup. Antiquated gear. At least things don't move as fast in the A/V world as the computer market. If it did, I think I would cry.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5583 of 5639 Old 08-16-2014, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the feedback. Guess i will upgrade at somepoint. Just caught me off guard as i have not kept up with all the changes. Maybe i can have the ps3 decode some audio?
post #5584 of 5639 Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetora13 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Guess i will upgrade at somepoint. Just caught me off guard as i have not kept up with all the changes. Maybe i can have the ps3 decode some audio?
That's only if you can send the internally decoded data as uncompressed PCM via HDMI cable. Your Technics has no HDMI input, nor does it allow for multi-channel PCM. Sorry to say this, but it's time to upgrade... sooner rather than later.

And do you have an early "fat" PS3 or a newer "slim" model that can bitstream raw audio files like Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio lossless over HDMI? If it's the former and not the latter, get yourself a cheap stand alone Blu-ray player. You'll need a player that can bitstream for Dolby Atmos and DTS-UHD object based surround as content is released.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-16-2014 at 08:37 PM.
post #5585 of 5639 Old 08-17-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
That's only if you can send the internally decoded data as uncompressed PCM via HDMI cable. Your Technics has no HDMI input, nor does it allow for multi-channel PCM. Sorry to say this, but it's time to upgrade... sooner rather than later.

And do you have an early "fat" PS3 or a newer "slim" model that can bitstream raw audio files like Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio lossless over HDMI? If it's the former and not the latter, get yourself a cheap stand alone Blu-ray player. You'll need a player that can bitstream for Dolby Atmos and DTS-UHD object based surround as content is released.
At the risk of going off topic, shouldn't kagetora just get a Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master supported receiver?
post #5586 of 5639 Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
At the risk of going off topic, shouldn't kagetora just get a Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master supported receiver?
Well, yes. But if the OP only has a fat PS3 then it's a moot point. He'll need both a new processor and a new player.

post #5587 of 5639 Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Well, yes. But if the OP only has a fat PS3 then it's a moot point. He'll need both a new processor and a new player.
He only needs a new player if he cares about Atmos. Otherwise, the fat PS3 is just fine.
post #5588 of 5639 Old 08-17-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
He only needs a new player if he cares about Atmos. Otherwise, the fat PS3 is just fine.
Unless Sony fixed something with a firmware update, there was some issues with DTS-Master Audio decoding if you went with a 7.1 system. It would automatically up-convert 5.1 to 7.1 and you couldn't add your own post processing in the receiver or pre-amp.

But if that's okay with the OP.

post #5589 of 5639 Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for the delay. Busy week. I have a ps3 slim. I will see how the year goes and upgrade as I watch the market. Thank you.
post #5590 of 5639 Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetora13 View Post
Sorry for the delay. Busy week. I have a ps3 slim. I will see how the year goes and upgrade as I watch the market. Thank you.
Be sure whatever you get has Atmos decoding and then you can use the slim PS3 to bitstream over to the decoder.

post #5591 of 5639 Old 12-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If anyone in Seattle wants to get a look at the new transfer in the theaters, the chance may be now. I'd go, but family life doesn't allow me to take a weekend day away to myself.

https://www.facebook.com/SeattleCine...47718941945877

Quote:
All three extended edition films are being presented this Sunday in 2K DCP
post #5592 of 5639 Old 01-03-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I started watching Lord of the Rings #1 Extended 3D on my new 4K TV. I was immediately struck with the beautiful color. I also saw #3 in IMAX HFR 3D last night- while the frame rate was nice-the colors and contrast seemed OFF somehow.
post #5593 of 5639 Old 01-06-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
If anyone in Seattle wants to get a look at the new transfer in the theaters, the chance may be now. I'd go, but family life doesn't allow me to take a weekend day away to myself.

https://www.facebook.com/SeattleCine...47718941945877

Did anyone go and look for green tint?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #5594 of 5639 Old 01-06-2015, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sorry if this has been covered, but this thread is 5500+ post long. I see the LOR "Theatrical Trilogy" available for like $12, which is very cheap. The extended is quite a bit more. I have a DVD extended version, but ...its DVD. I have mostly moved on to streaming Vs owning movies. For one, buying new format such as BD when I already bought DVD, then bought DVD extended gets old after awhile.

What is missing on the theatrical edition? Obviously, the extra content, but does it still have the same video/audio quality as the extended, or is that also reduced? Its just that for $12 I wonder what you actually get.

thnx
post #5595 of 5639 Old 01-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

FOTR Theatrical blu has heavy noise reduction applied, by videophile standards. Probably not worse than the softness of streaming video in most cases, though.

The detail in the FOTR Extended blu is impeccable. But there's the green tint/lowered white level issues that some people complain about.

I never saw the other two theatrical versions on blu, but I think the general consensus is the quality is about the same as the extended editions.
post #5596 of 5639 Old 01-06-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Sorry if this has been covered, but this thread is 5500+ post long. I see the LOR "Theatrical Trilogy" available for like $12, which is very cheap. The extended is quite a bit more. I have a DVD extended version, but ...its DVD. I have mostly moved on to streaming Vs owning movies. For one, buying new format such as BD when I already bought DVD, then bought DVD extended gets old after awhile.

What is missing on the theatrical edition? Obviously, the extra content, but does it still have the same video/audio quality as the extended, or is that also reduced? Its just that for $12 I wonder what you actually get.

thnx
Except for the odd color timing issues with Fellowship, the Extended Cuts of the Trilogy are superior in PQ and have the DTS 6.1 discrete remastered/remixed tracks (this time in master quality lossless form) made for the DVD's a while back. The theatrical cut has way too much DNR filtering applied.

post #5597 of 5639 Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post

thnx

The following contains opinions, and regarding the LOTR trilogy at that, so you can be certain there are other fervently-held opinions on the matter.

A short summary of altered/added scenes can be found here:
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lord_...tended_Edition

The quality of the Theatrical Edition Blu-rays is not as good as the Extended Editions. Not the worst Blu-rays out there, and certainly adequate for some, but not as good. More importantly, I find that the editions are different enough in content that it's really a matter of content more than quality, for me, in deciding which version to get. I personally like the Extended Edition of FOTR quite a lot better than the theatrical version, the Two Towers about the same, and the ROTK less. Since FOTR is my favorite of the series, that usually tips me toward buying the extended trilogy.

In my case, I've stuck with my DVDs for now. As DVDs go, they were about as good-looking as that format got, so other discs still get priority over LOTR when upgrading to Blu-ray. I'll get there eventually, but they'll probably be my last DVDs to upgrade. Any maybe they'll take care of the green tint by then [ducks].
post #5598 of 5639 Old 01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Speaking of streaming, VUDU has the Extended Editions available in HDX, which do have the green tint. So anybody who wants to see what it's all about, on your TV in your proper viewing environment, without purchasing the discs, you can watch the first 2 minutes for free if your Blu-ray player/TV has VUDU.
AVfile and Viche like this.
post #5599 of 5639 Old 01-06-2015, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thank you all for your replies.
post #5600 of 5639 Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 565
I watched all three extended Blu versions not long ago (at 124" with calibrated JVC RS4810 and Stewart ST100 screen). Fellowship, despite some hints of teal in some scenes (which has gotten WAY overblown on the forums) looked gorgeous and very film-like in my opinion. Two Towers looked excellent and fim-like too; Return of the King looked good, but I found it looked just a hair more processed looking. On any rate, it's a great representation of the movies and the audio is excellent too.

post #5601 of 5639 Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The start of The Fellowship, Frodo meeting Gandalf… Am I right in saying the greenery is deeper/darker than The Hobbit?

I remember people on other forums (they had nothing to do with calibration) said The Hobbit was very saturated compared to LOTR. That was always their complaints.
post #5602 of 5639 Old 01-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
The start of The Fellowship, Frodo meeting Gandalf… Am I right in saying the greenery is deeper/darker than The Hobbit?

I remember people on other forums (they had nothing to do with calibration) said The Hobbit was very saturated compared to LOTR. That was always their complaints.
In a sense, yes. Pure, unsaturated white on FOTR is much greener than pure, unsaturated white on the The Hobbit. For example, in the titles:

In this image, photoshop says the titles are the same color of green, but the hobbit is at full brightness (white level) with 8% green saturation, and FOTR is 88% brightness with 14% green saturation.

My opinion is they were supposed to be the same, but the error in FOTR is improper white level way too low, causing the tint to be stronger everywhere.
Viche likes this.

Last edited by BobearQSI; 01-08-2015 at 12:36 PM.
post #5603 of 5639 Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Curious to see how long they wait to announce the full 5-film boxed set. I'm guessing that they'll do 2 versions like they did for Harry Potter, but hopefully Jackson still has those deleted scenes and additional documentaries that he's been talking up for years now.
post #5604 of 5639 Old 01-12-2015, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UpRusso View Post
Curious to see how long they wait to announce the full 5-film boxed set. I'm guessing that they'll do 2 versions like they did for Harry Potter, but hopefully Jackson still has those deleted scenes and additional documentaries that he's been talking up for years now.
Seeing as how I could not bring myself to like The Hobbit trilogy no matter how hard I tried, I think I'll wait for the inevitable LOTR extended cut 4k upconverts with 10 bit video and DCI-P3 color on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

post #5605 of 5639 Old 01-13-2015, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

^^^ Good point! Even though the DI's for LOTR were only 2K, there's still the opportunity to release on the new Blu-ray spec with 10 bit color and wider gamut, 4K upconvert or not! Better put my copy up on ebay now while it's still worth something before WB dips again . . .
post #5606 of 5639 Old 01-13-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
5 film?
post #5607 of 5639 Old 01-13-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Seeing as how I could not bring myself to like The Hobbit trilogy no matter how hard I tried, I think I'll wait for the inevitable LOTR extended cut 4k upconverts with 10 bit video and DCI-P3 color on Ultra HD Blu-ray.
This would be a worthwhile upgrade!

I would assume the color gamut and video bit is not limited by these being finished in 2K?

post #5608 of 5639 Old 01-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post
5 film?
Oops! I guess it was just wishful thinking... The Hobbit was never expanded from 2 films into 3. It was just a bad dream.
post #5609 of 5639 Old 01-13-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
^^^ Good point! Even though the DI's for LOTR were only 2K, there's still the opportunity to release on the new Blu-ray spec with 10 bit color and wider gamut, 4K upconvert or not! Better put my copy up on ebay now while it's still worth something before WB dips again . . .

There won't be new editions for several years apart from the obvious boxset with all the PJ films, theatrical and extended, and no 4K edition will come until the LOTR trilogy has been re-scanned at 4K and the effects are redone in 4K, which won't really be practical until after the end of the Avatar film series, which WETA will be making their bread and butter from over the next several years and that will be done in 4K.
post #5610 of 5639 Old 01-13-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
This would be a worthwhile upgrade!

I would assume the color gamut and video bit is not limited by these being finished in 2K?
Correct. Actually, many modern digital intermediates are 12 bit, 4:4:4 with DCI-P3 color, so there will be some dumbing down even with Ultra HD Blu-ray's, just not as bad as today's 1080p Blu-ray's based on antiquated consumer technology.

Even if the LOTR will be upconverted, there will be other visual benefits to warrant an upgrade. I wonder too if Jackson wouldn't take that opportunity to remix the LOTR trilogy into Atmos or DTS-X to match The Hobbit.
DavidHir likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page