The Lord Of The Rings Extended - Page 189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #5641 of 5670 Old 07-03-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post
Sad to say, I purchased the iTunes Extended HD release and it's the same as the Blu. Tint is still there. Waste of $18.

Thanks for your sacrifice and letting us know.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 5670 Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
I'm not greedy. I'll take 1080P EE of all 6 with proper color at this point.
So the time is coming near where I must purchase and share these films with the family. I'm assuming the fat bastard has not come to his senses yet and produced a non black crushed, green tinted version of the first film in HD yet? How about a EE versions of the 3 Hobbits or a 6 movie EE box set? I couldn't find either for sale.
post #5643 of 5670 Old 07-06-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
How about a EE versions of the 3 Hobbits or a 6 movie EE box set? I couldn't find either for sale.
They haven't released the EE version of the last Hobbit Film yet. I suspect the boxed editions will come after that. I don't expect that they will be any different than the discs we have today for LOTR though.
post #5644 of 5670 Old 07-06-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
They haven't released the EE version of the last Hobbit Film yet. I suspect the boxed editions will come after that. I don't expect that they will be any different than the discs we have today for LOTR though.
Thanks. ETA for the EE Hobbit or 6 film Box Set?
post #5645 of 5670 Old 07-06-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
It is one of the reasons I find it hard to watch the Blu-Ray versions. That tint is awful. As well as some of the sound differences compared to DVD.
post #5646 of 5670 Old 07-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Blu-Ray is a diluted down mix to play on everything, and far from the theatrical quality DCP release.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #5647 of 5670 Old 07-08-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
It is one of the reasons I find it hard to watch the Blu-Ray versions. That tint is awful. As well as some of the sound differences compared to DVD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Blu-Ray is a diluted down mix to play on everything, and far from the theatrical quality DCP release.
Welcome to the LOTR Delivery Method is Not Above Criticism Club (LOTRDMNACC)! Wow, so the sound is a mess as well? That's a new one to me. Great.

It's looking like I won't have time to wait for the lord himself to correct these issues. I'm just hoping for a 6 movie EE version so that I don't have to tithe to "he who is above reproach" more than once or twice.
post #5648 of 5670 Old 07-08-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:
Welcome to the LOTR Delivery Method is Not Above Criticism Club (LOTRDMNACC)! Wow, so the sound is a mess as well? That's a new one to me. Great.

It's looking like I won't have time to wait for the lord himself to correct these issues. I'm just hoping for a 6 movie EE version so that I don't have to tithe to "he who is above reproach" more than once or twice.
The sound is fine. The color timing on the first film is not.
Vader424242 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5649 of 5670 Old 07-08-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
The sound is fine. The color timing on the first film is not.
Wonder what they meant by "sound differences compared to DVD" and "diluted down mix to play on everything, and far from the theatrical quality DCP release"...

What's a DCP btw?
post #5650 of 5670 Old 07-08-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Wonder what they meant by "sound differences compared to DVD" and "diluted down mix to play on everything, and far from the theatrical quality DCP release"...

What's a DCP btw?
Some are up in arms that the home video versions of most movies have near-field remixes created. Most are great (like LOTR), some get "dumbed down" too much. A DCP is a digital cinema package for digital delivery to theaters via streaming or hard drives.

post #5651 of 5670 Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viche View Post
welcome to the lotr delivery method is not above criticism club (lotrdmnacc)! Wow, so the sound is a mess as well? That's a new one to me. Great.

it's looking like i won't have time to wait for the lord himself to correct these issues. I'm just hoping for a 6 movie ee version so that i don't have to tithe to "he who is above reproach" more than once or twice.
tlotrdmnacc

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #5652 of 5670 Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I'm probably one of the few people who thinks the extended Fellowship looks great. It has a very natural, film-like look to it. The skintones and colors are excellent. (I've watched it last on my JVC RS4810 front projector which is pro calibrated by Chad B). The teal issue isn't much of an issue IMO. It's glaring when you're looking at screencaps comparing, but just focused on watching the movie I don't think it stands out badly - and really only slightly noticeable in a few scenes when I am looking for it.

post #5653 of 5670 Old 07-11-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I'm probably one of the few people who thinks the extended Fellowship looks great. It has a very natural, film-like look to it. The skintones and colors are excellent. (I've watched it last on my JVC RS4810 front projector which is pro calibrated by Chad B). The teal issue isn't much of an issue IMO. It's glaring when you're looking at screencaps comparing, but just focused on watching the movie I don't think it stands out badly - and really only slightly noticeable in a few scenes when I am looking for it.
So you don't notice the impact it has on white balance overall, as in muddy whites and crushed blacks? You can see the appropriate amount of detail in Moria?
post #5654 of 5670 Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

It is very strong. As The Hobbit films are healthy.
post #5655 of 5670 Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
So you don't notice the impact it has on white balance overall, as in muddy whites and crushed blacks? You can see the appropriate amount of detail in Moria?
I would have to take a look at Moria again, but nothing struck me as a "stand out" issue. Make sure your display is properly calibrated, as well, in terms of greyscale, brightness (black level), and gamma. Mishaps there can easily crush detail or accentuate a skewed color especially in white very easily. I've also watched the disc on my pro calibrated plasma and had the same impressions.

post #5656 of 5670 Old 07-11-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xulaokeri View Post
The best Blu news so far this year. I'm glad I waited!

What news?

- AVStefan
post #5657 of 5670 Old 07-11-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The Lord Of The Rings Extended

Quote:

I did notice the crushed shadow detail in the mines, but not the overall white balance even though I knew it was off and looked for it. That alone would not have been a deal-breaker as there are many movies with way more aggressive orange, teal, etc.

I was actually more bothered by the constantly changing color grading that was done by Jackson & Lesnie for the new master. This is unfortunate because it is "as intended by the artist" according to WB (as opposed to a fault in the Blu-Ray authoring) and I doubt they will remaster that again.

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; 07-11-2015 at 07:16 PM.
post #5658 of 5670 Old 07-11-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
While the tint issue has been analyzed from every conceivable angle (from "it was intentional" to "they really borked this release up and won't admit it"), this has got to be the first time the audio was criticized (excepting a probable LFE filter, of course)...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Last edited by Vader424242; 07-12-2015 at 07:00 AM.
post #5659 of 5670 Old 07-12-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 224
CA has an odd axe to grind in regards to anything of reality and he has peculiar and unfounded hate for blu-ray in particular.

Frankly, it would be best to ignore most of what he says, since he frequently makes false statements; along with an unhealthy serving of paranoia and conspiracy theories.

I do not recall any differences between the DVDs and the BRs but I have not done a direct comparison in years. Should be the same.
Now The Hobbit trilogy is a different animal all together but that issue it potentially and partly due to creative choices. The AUJ EE has a smidge more bass than the standard BR so the weak lower octaves is likely inherent to the mix.

Best regards,
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #5660 of 5670 Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
While the tint issue has been analyzed from every conceivable angle (from "it was intentional" to "they really borked this release up and won't admit it"), this has got to be the first time the audio was criticized (excepting a probable LFE filter, of course)...
Listen to the sound before Gollum pulls Frodo away as the huge beam of light shoots up.
post #5661 of 5670 Old 07-14-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
Listen to the sound before Gollum pulls Frodo away as the huge beam of light shoots up.
Why don't you tell us what you hear that's wrong?
post #5662 of 5670 Old 07-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Either i have a bad disk or something. When i stream it it has perfect picture and sound. BD has that annoying tint, plus all these unexplained sudden volume level drops. I am not the only one, listen to yours. However on streaming it works great.

post #5663 of 5670 Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why don't you tell us what you hear that's wrong?
I don't know how to describe it but it is two different sounds. On the DVD it's a very rich sound with bass and a little surround feeling. Quite a powerful sense. On the Blu-Ray it is a screech/squeal sound that has no bass but comes from the fronts only.
post #5664 of 5670 Old 07-14-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:

Yeah, I thought I'd drop in for a minute just to make sure the debate is still raging on ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5665 of 5670 Old 07-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I ordered the BD EE 3 disc set from Amazon prime days sale for $27. A little disappointing to read all the comments about the green cast issues.
post #5666 of 5670 Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I have the ext box set, to me its looks incredible upscaled to 4k along with the sound is very big to me, bass really hits and feels like the Ent are walking nearby. Since each movie is broken up into 2 discs I would assume its all bitrate and nothing compressed

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Polk T15s, c: Infinity Beta C360
post #5667 of 5670 Old 08-16-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Something like that would cost millions. They won't do it unless Jackson pays for the re-rendering himself. They will either be 4k upscales or 1080p with 10 bit color and the other advancements once released on Ultra HD disc.

The only advancement I could possibly see besides bit depth and color improvements would be an audio overhaul to Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
Considering how much money these films have made, it doesn't seem like a bad investment.
post #5668 of 5670 Old 08-16-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Does the top image contain blue and gold or just green and green?
Holy cow! So which format are these two images from? (IOW, what is EE and EE full fix? Sorry, I don't understand the terminology.)
post #5669 of 5670 Old 08-16-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
Holy cow! So which format are these two images from? (IOW, what is EE and EE full fix? Sorry, I don't understand the terminology.)
He just adjusted the color timing of the frame capture of the Extended Edition Blu-ray.
jazzycat likes this.

post #5670 of 5670 Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
He just adjusted the color timing of the frame capture of the Extended Edition Blu-ray.
You mean, the person who posted the picture took a picture and then adjusted the PQ? I thought it was a comparison of two different blu rays.

At any rate, if that's what the blurays look like, I'll hold off buying them. I have the extended DVDs and the color timing is fine on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page