The Lord Of The Rings Extended - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #541 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
OOOOOOKay....unless I am mistaken, this forum is dedicated to the best current home AV technology possible (BD).
But we complain WB decided to put these long EEs on 2 disks????

True....we have yet to compare these with the original Theatrical BDs.
Still, I gotta believe the encodes will be superior, otherwise 2 disks is illogical (added expense to WB).

Then again....what the heck do I know?

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Two disc is not the same thing as quality. And the movies are not that long as some would think. Since BD is 16:9 format its not just the length of the movie that matters but the number of active pixels. Thats a 25% difference. So a 4 hour movie is closer to a 3 hour movie when its 2.35:1.
post #543 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 01:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Two disc is not the same thing as quality.

I didn't mean to imply 2 disks AUTOMATICALLY means better AV.
However, it seems a reasonable bet WB intends to take advantage of the 100gb.

Of course, we can only sit back and wait to see if that will be the case...

post #544 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

+1

Looking forward to this, but I may have to put some blankets over my speakers to muffle the HD audio on these pesky dynamically mastered blu ray gems. :P

GamerTag= Phaleronic
post #545 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 202
post #546 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

And the movies are not that long as some would think.

Fellowship of the Ring is two minutes shy of three and a half hours. Return of the King is over 4 hours. How long does a film need to be before you think it should be split across two BD-50s?

Besides, just because scope films take up "less bitrate" due to the bars doesn't mean that encoding them at higher bitrate isn't still advantageous to preserving whatever information is on the source. I don't expect every film to get a 40 MB/s CBR encode, but you cant argue that doing it would have any sort of negative impact on the transfer.
post #547 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Put them on 3 discs, I don't really care. Just no filters, please.
post #548 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Two disc is not the same thing as quality. And the movies are not that long as some would think. Since BD is 16:9 format its not just the length of the movie that matters but the number of active pixels. Thats a 25% difference. So a 4 hour movie is closer to a 3 hour movie when its 2.35:1.

It is true that a larger frame requires higher bitrate for the same PQ (assuming everything else is equal), but it is not a linear relationship.
post #549 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Keep in mind the extended running time for the EEs includes the ~20 minute extended credit sequence to include the entire LotR fan club. Something like that does not require much of a bitrate.
post #550 of 5665 Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post

Fellowship of the Ring is two minutes shy of three and a half hours. Return of the King is over 4 hours. How long does a film need to be before you think it should be split across two BD-50s?

Besides, just because scope films take up "less bitrate" due to the bars doesn't mean that encoding them at higher bitrate isn't still advantageous to preserving whatever information is on the source. I don't expect every film to get a 40 MB/s CBR encode, but you cant argue that doing it would have any sort of negative impact on the transfer.

The problem with focusing on bitrate is that people take a very complex issue with 100 of variables and tries to narrow it down to 2-3 variables. The other problem is that we usually miss the most important aspect of PQ and thats the role the source plays in this. A good source is more important then any other factor. Split up the movie on how many disc you want, it will still look inferior to a modern master on one disc.

If everything is equal more bitrate will of course give us just as good or better PQ. But bitrate isnt the only thing that effects the PQ or it of course wouldnt be any need for 2 or 3 pass encodings. We never see people argue that an encode needs more work hours on the third pass of an encode, because we cant see how much time each movie is getting. I think its safe to assume that not every movie out there gets the same amount of encoding time.

Now there is two real reasons why LOTR movies get split on two discs.

1. Marketing, the more discs a release have the better it sound. 6 disc editions, 9 disc editions etc. Despite that the total amont of data could fit 2-3 disc in many cases.

2. The movie has a natural intermission in them.
post #551 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While I'm very happy with the two discs as I tend to watch them over 6 nights, I'm not sure that any but the first film has a natural intermission--the cuts in both the 2 and 3 seem increasingly clunky to me. Nevertheless I'm just happy these are coming to blu much sooner than I thought they would.
post #552 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
The problem with focusing on bitrate is that people take a very complex issue with 100 of variables and tries to narrow it down to 2-3 variables. The other problem is that we usually miss the most important aspect of PQ and thats the role the source plays in this. A good source is more important then any other factor. Split up the movie on how many disc you want, it will still look inferior to a modern master on one disc.

If everything is equal more bitrate will of course give us just as good or better PQ. But bitrate isnt the only thing that effects the PQ or it of course wouldnt be any need for 2 or 3 pass encodings. We never see people argue that an encode needs more work hours on the third pass of an encode, because we cant see how much time each movie is getting. I think its safe to assume that not every movie out there gets the same amount of encoding time.

Now there is two real reasons why LOTR movies get split on two discs.

1. Marketing, the more discs a release have the better it sound. 6 disc editions, 9 disc editions etc. Despite that the total amont of data could fit 2-3 disc in many cases.
Perhaps it is easier to simply up the bitrate and spread the film over two discs than it is to spend more time on the passes?
Quote:

intermission would seem to be a device used by theaters to sell food and beverages, and to allow trips to the loo. Since these versions never played theatrically, there would be no "natural" intermission.

Jeff
post #553 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Perhaps it is easier to simply up the bitrate and spread the film over two discs than it is to spend more time on the passes?
Of course its easier. But not automaticly better. But its a complicated relationship.

Quote:
intermission would seem to be a device used by theaters to sell food and beverages, and to allow trips to the loo. Since these versions never played theatrically, there would be no "natural" intermission.
When I talk natural, im taking about it being there in the master, and not split up during encoding/authoring.
post #554 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
When I talk natural, im taking about it being there in the master, and not split up during encoding/authoring.
I'd guess that there had been some thought that went into were to place the disc change or maybe it is where it happened in the theatrical version?
post #555 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 02:08 AM

Guys, count yourself how much bitrate for video would be for ROTK if Warner release it on one disc.

It's around ~16Mbps for video, and it's assuming US release will have 1 lossless audio track 3 lossy tracks and 3 commentary tracks and that they fill whole BD50 disc with data which is unreal.
As we all know Warner makes one encode for whole world and CEE releases have ~10 audio tracks (not counting commentary tracks) so it would be left sth around ~13-14Mbps for video.

I agree that source is most important thing for quality, but on the other hand I don't believe that with such a low bitrate there won't be visible picture degradation compared to 25-30Mbps encode for a such complex movie (lots of long action scenes which eats huge amounts of space).
post #556 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makov View Post
As we all know Warner makes one encode for whole world and CEE releases have ~10 audio tracks (not counting commentary tracks) so it would be left sth around ~13-14Mbps for video.
Warner doesnt have the world wide rights to LOTR, so they wouldnt have to make an encode for the entire world.

Quote:
I agree that source is most important thing for quality, but on the other hand I don't believe that with such a low bitrate there won't be visible picture degradation compared to 25-30Mbps encode for a such complex movie (lots of long action scenes which eats huge amounts of space).
Remember that LOTR has 25% less image area. So a 2.35:1 movie that peaks at 30 mbs is equal to a 16:9 movie that peaks at 40mbs. And a movie that peaks at 30 doesnt need to go as high as 25 mbs for avarage.

Also action scenes isnt always harder to compress since the shutterspeed of the camera creates alot of motion blur. So while you get increase of motion you at the same time get decrease of detail.

We also must take into consideration how little detail on each frame our brain actually can register when we watch the movie in 24fps. Its one thing to pick out artifacts with still frames compared to picking them out on moving pictures. (actually some artifacts are easier to pick out when the frame moves, and some is easier when its a still frame, depending on what type of artifact it is).
post #557 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Perhaps it is easier to simply up the bitrate and spread the film over two discs than it is to spend more time on the passes?intermission would seem to be a device used by theaters to sell food and beverages, and to allow trips to the loo. Since these versions never played theatrically, there would be no "natural" intermission.

Jeff
The EE versions did play in the theater briefly. At least the first two....I think it was right before the release of return of the King. I saw them and there was no intermission.
post #558 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkp View Post

While I'm very happy with the two discs as I tend to watch them over 6 nights, I'm not sure that any but the first film has a natural intermission--the cuts in both the 2 and 3 seem increasingly clunky to me. Nevertheless I'm just happy these are coming to blu much sooner than I thought they would.

Did you watch the special features? The big guys claim to have choosen the intermission times for each film.
post #559 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Put them on 3 discs, I don't really care. Just no filters, please.

+1

just don't give me the crap that was on the original release.

neflixis our nemesis
post #560 of 5665 Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if the remaster of Fellowship of the Ring will involve matching the color timing with the other two, like was done with The Matrix.
post #561 of 5665 Old 04-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

I will probalby wait for the extended Blu's to be released individually for $15 per movie without extras ( you know that's how it will be for Walmart ), and then buy. I still have both the theatrical and extended DVD's, so I have all these extras, and I don't envision ( even as good as they are ), watching them again, way too much time!

Ditto.

I already own the platinum DVD EEs of all three movies. I'll just wait until I can pick up the EEs individually at wal-mart or amazon and then simply remove the DVDs and insert the BDs into the much nicer packaging. Everything else is the same so no way am I shelling out for the same extras all over again, even though they are fabulous as you say. (Glad I watched, I typically don't but was pleasantly surprised and amazed with everything down to the smallest details that went into the films.)

I hope they do address some of the shortcomings, the three EEs collectively represent an epic film, arguably the greatest of all time, comparable to classics like Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, The Ten Commandments and Cleopatra, and deserves nothing less than the most faithful encode possible.
post #562 of 5665 Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 AM

havent read the 19 pages, but is the PQ of this new EE the same as the regular bluray version?
post #563 of 5665 Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic View Post

havent read the 19 pages, but is the PQ of this new EE the same as the regular bluray version?

1) They've said there's a new transfer for Fellowship, but not the other two.
2) No one's actually seen it, so we can't tell you.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #564 of 5665 Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post
1) They've said there's a new transfer for Fellowship, but not the other two.
2) No one's actually seen it, so we can't tell you.
Thanks, I have not seen the regular BR ones, is the PQ on the TT and RotK good?
post #565 of 5665 Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

The EE versions did play in the theater briefly ... I saw them and there was no intermission.

Ditto.
post #566 of 5665 Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic View Post

Thanks, I have not seen the regular BR ones, is the PQ on the TT and RotK good?

Uhhhhh....not so much (IMO).

post #567 of 5665 Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere in the previous 19 pages that I haven't the time to read, but...

Unfortunately, the current studio idea of remastering, too often seems to be tweaking the existing master, mostly by way of filtering video noise, to satisfy consumers whose display size is small enough that they won't see the loss of detail anyway, which is the vast majority, and who probably exaggerate natural levels of grain by setting their sharpness levels far too high.

I'm all for dividing each film onto 2 discs each, though I personally believe it to be more out of convenience, as the DVDs were already layed out that way, or even out of pretense (ala what Fox did with the first BD of Avatar) than necessity; but if they're going to utilize 2 discs per film, considering the differences in the EE and theatrical cuts with these films - how the EEs, while much longer, still omit portions of the theatrical films, making the EE's just as imcomplete for collectors as the theatricals themselves - I think they should provide both cuts of the film via branching.

As for the extras: regardless of whether they were actually created in SD or not, there is still absolutely no excuse not to at least take advantage of the BD formats interactivity and enhanced durability for a BD release. Based on the price premium, I think we're clearly paying for it. The price they're charging simply doesn't correspond to the effort or relative production costs compared to similar box sets, unless Warner really doesn't expect the set to sell well at all in light of the economy and so recently exploiting the fanbase with last years BDs of the theatrical versions. In fact the decision to feature the EEs only with this set, may even be as simple as Warner not wanting to seemingly devalue their property from what would no doubt result in a hord of theatrical editions flooding the resale market. I've come to learn that some major studios (specifically Disney) actually thinks it criminal to resell pre-recorded videos that were legally created for mass retail and that were legally purchased.

LOTRs are far and away my favorite films, so I'm one who will definitely be picking them up nomatter how egregious Warner's release. I can understand that in light of an eventual Ultimate set, under Jacksons direction, that Warner might not be able to justify putting as much into this release, and that it's more to appease fans and deliver on expectations of the EE's BD release than anything, expectations that the studio helped create, but there's no way to justify charging top tier pricing for a mostly regurgitated effort.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #568 of 5665 Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^Where WB and BD meet I am always suspicous...

post #569 of 5665 Old 04-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

how the EEs, while much longer, still omit portions of the theatrical films, making the EE's just as imcomplete for collectors as the theatricals themselves

This is news to me. Examples?
post #570 of 5665 Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM

Liked: 16
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=765
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=768

Above is for FOTR, in which the entire beginning has a different feel to it. I like it, but it is different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software