post #811 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Yes, they do -- and it's irrelevant to the point I was making. There are very few people on this planet who can say with 100% certainty whether the colours of this Blu-ray release are as intended or not, and they all worked on this title for Warner.

Maybe it's what they intended....who knows but those working on the project, but if it looks the way it does here, it's bad. The original color timing would be better. Color issues bother me more than DNR to be honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Where did you find show times?

Input your zip code and click the little calendar icon and select June 14th
for FOTR and it will bring up the AMC theaters and play times in your
area.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #813 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Yes, they do -- and it's irrelevant to the point I was making. There are very few people on this planet who can say with 100% certainty whether the colours of this Blu-ray release are as intended or not, and they all worked on this title for Warner.

Dropping back from that, isn't it also true that there are very few people on this planet that can say anything at all about what the colours of this BD release actually ARE?

Isn't everyone getting their panties in a bunch over absolutely nothing?

Jeff
post #814 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Maybe it's what they intended....who knows but those working on the project, but if it looks the way it does here, it's bad. The original color timing would be better.

I disagree. See, it's only a matter of opinion; there are no definitive truths to be found here.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #815 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Input your zip code and click the little calendar icon and select June 14th
for FOTR and it will bring up the AMC theaters and play times in your
area.

Thanks. DOH!

Jeff
post #816 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that a high level decision was made to re-grade FOTR and this is the result. Having spent 10+ hours on the FOTR 2-disc EE BD, I can say I prefer the new grading over the old one.

It doesn't matter what was intended. The fact is that the film has never looked this green in any incarnation. If the screencaps are accurate, it is a clear case of a revisionist change. That is what people are commenting on. Your implication was that you had to be some kind of expert or insider to express an opinion or even notice there is something screwy, which is the issue I had with your post.
post #817 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The color timing issue is a little disheartening but I will hold
final judgement until it is actually released. On the good side,
the detail in these shots are outstanding.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #818 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I disagree. See, it's only a matter of opinion; there are no definitive truths to be found here.

You're half right. It may be a matter of opinion to some degree. But should LOTR be color graded with a green hue? Does that make sense when no other release looked that way? Does it make sense that it obscures detail in certain colors and makes skin tones look sickly? Are we really to believe that was how they wanted this to look? It would make absolutely no sense. It may be part opinion, but there are measurable facts there too. Not at this point, however. It's all hypothetical until someone reputable gets their hands on these.

You're really making the same argument that they INTENDED Gladiator and Patton to look the way they did with so much DNR and it is a matter of opinion as to which is better....but then they fixed one and are fixing the other....so there is that..
post #819 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

Your implication was that you had to be some kind of expert or insider to express an opinion or even notice there is something screwy

That was most certainly not my intention. Anyone could see the screencaps showed a greener cast compared to FOTR TE. Nothing wrong with pointing that out, either. But that's pretty much as far as any analysis should have gone without detailed knowledge of the decisions made by the studio and/or the filmmakers with regards to this release. The question is not "Are these colors inaccurate?", but "Is this the look intended by people in charge?"

post #820 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Regarding the FotR color, any way we can see a comparison with the HDTV broadcast version rather than the first BR release? Many folks around here considered that to be accurate, no?

My Setup | Night

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Brubaker, Big Bang Season 6, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity

post #821 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

Regarding the color - any way we can see a comparison with the HDTV broadcast version? Many folks around here considered that to be accurate, no?

I think the TE thread has screen caps of the broadcast.
post #822 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But should LOTR be color graded with a green hue?

Not up to us to decide, now is it?

Quote:

Does it make sense that it obscures detail in certain colors and makes skin tones look sickly?

The skin tones do not look at all sickly on my calibrated display. Well, except in scenes where they are supposed to

Quote:

Are we really to believe that was how they wanted this to look? It would make absolutely no sense.

Only if you don't like the look.

Quote:

You're really making the same argument that they INTENDED Gladiator and Patton to look the way they did with so much DNR and it is a matter of opinion as to which is better

Ruining a movie by removing detail with DNR and re-grading a movie are not the same thing in my book. YMMV, naturally.

post #823 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
This is one of those situations where i can't really rationalize the decision even if it was intentional. I'm not sure what is achieved aesthetically by making all the highlights tinted green, even where it completely doesn't look right, like flames: http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1328/lotr1m.jpg
post #824 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 AM

in the end, the only question that matters is whether you like the "new" colour or not and, in case if not, will you do something against it?

I personally could live with them, but if theres an easy way to do regrading as in those screens at the top, I'd do that.
post #825 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not up to us to decide, now is it?

The skin tones do not look at all sickly on my calibrated display. Well, except in scenes where they are supposed to

Only if you don't like the look.

Ruining a movie by removing detail with DNR and re-grading a movie are not the same thing in my book. YMMV, naturally.

We're arguing from opposite sides of the issue and I get the point you're making about directors intent and all that. But why the change now? Can you rationalize that? And I have to disagree, you can ruin a movie with DNR and with grading. If you apply DNR you remove detail that was originally there. If you re-grade, you change the colors as they originally were. (I am not referring to what was originally there in the live shots, but rather what was on the final prints).
post #826 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

This is one of those situations where i can't really rationalize the decision even if it was intentional. I'm not sure what is achieved aesthetically by making all the highlights tinted green, even where it completely doesn't look right, like flames: http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1328/lotr1m.jpg

That scene in particular was featured in the grading documentary. The entire color palette was intentionally desaturated, but if I remember correctly they wanted to leave the fire lights to stand out. It was not green, but almost greyscale. So if that has changed....what reason would there be? Also, the same grading filters were not applied to each scene....so IF and I say IF the entire film looks this way, something is not right...or at least not as it was originally intended to look.
post #827 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Nothing is wrong. He happens to be in a forest with lots of green, that green color will show on skin.

Yeah...........no, that's not it.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #828 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, at least this thread is back to normal....it wouldn't be right if we didn't have something to argue about before such a major release!
post #829 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Dropping back from that, isn't it also true that there are very few people on this planet that can say anything at all about what the colours of this BD release actually ARE?

I downloaded the pirated screencap of the shot of Gandalf riding to Isengard and compared it to the same frame off the BD on PowerDVD, MPC-HC and VLC. Players produced identical images to each other, but not to the screencap which looks lighter and has less "punch". I ran a 16-235 to 0-255 filter on the screencap but that crushed the blacks while software players did not. The difference could well be caused by how Windows handles still images compared to hardware accelerated video.

Quote:
Isn't everyone getting their panties in a bunch over absolutely nothing?

Depends. I suppose panties have been thoroughly bunched for less than a studio and/or filmmaker re-grading a movie.

post #830 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 AM

guys i did a quick comparison...

DVD vs blu-ray extended

http://postimage.org/image/15xlfc8p0/
post #831 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quite honestly I have always thought these films were ugly. I couldn't believe how bad the cinematography and color was during my initial theatrical viewings.
post #832 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Here's that same shot with exactly the same regrading I applied to the others:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58548
post #833 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But why the change now? Can you rationalize that?

I can only guess. Could be someone at Warner decided that the new transfer merited a new grade to further spice up the visible differences between the two BD releases. A new transfer would have to be graded anyway so why not make some changes at the same time at no extra cost. Or who knows, maybe Jackson had a change of heart. Or maybe he didn't care one bit and let the studio do whatever they please.

Quote:
And I have to disagree, you can ruin a movie with DNR and with grading. If you apply DNR you remove detail that was originally there. If you re-grade, you change the colors as they originally were.

Colors "as they originally were" are nothing but a grading decision made by the director and/or the DoP (or whoever was given the task). Filmmakers can change their minds and are known to tweak things here and there when revisiting their earlier movies. I would not compare it to studios removing the "ugly noise" consumers complain about with DNR.

post #834 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Here are a few screenshots from 720p encodes of the extended editions of part two and three. Maybe someone who knows the films so well he can find the right scenes in a few minutes can post a comparison to the theatrical editions to see if the colours are different, too. (And maybe also to see if there is differences in quality if possible with 720p encode screenshots...)

Two towers:
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/s/sh/shemet/2011/06/09/1_001.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/s/sh/shemet/2011/06/09/2_001.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/c/ca/cambridge69/2011/06/08/2.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/c/ca/cambridge69/2011/06/08/14.png

Return of the king:
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/s/sh/shemet/2011/06/09/1_002.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/s/sh/shemet/2011/06/09/2_002.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/c/ca/cambridge69/2011/06/08/4.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/c/ca/cambridge69/2011/06/08/18.png
post #835 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

maybe Jackson had a change of heart. Or maybe he didn't care one bit and let the studio do whatever they please.

Colors "as they originally were" are nothing but a grading decision made by the director and/or the DoP (or whoever was given the task). Filmmakers can change their minds and are known to tweak things here and there when revisiting their earlier movies.

Exactly right.
And we don't know what went on behind closed doors regarding PJ and this release.
AFAIK, there hasn't been any direct comment by him on this subject.
Until we do, we simply can't know if the "color is right."

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #836 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post

Here are a few screenshots from 720p encodes of the extended editions of part two and three. Maybe someone who knows the films so well he can find the right scenes in a few minutes can post a comparison to the theatrical editions to see if the colours are different, too. (And maybe also to see if there is differences in quality if possible with 720p encode screenshots...)

Two towers:
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/s/sh/shemet/2011/06/09/1_001.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/s/sh/shemet/2011/06/09/2_001.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/c/ca/cambridge69/2011/06/08/2.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/c/ca/cambridge69/2011/06/08/14.png

Return of the king:
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/s/sh/shemet/2011/06/09/1_002.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/s/sh/shemet/2011/06/09/2_002.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/c/ca/cambridge69/2011/06/08/4.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/c/ca/cambridge69/2011/06/08/18.png

From memory I would say that those screencaps look pretty spot on colour-wise with the theatrical blu-rays. Looks like they haven't messed around with the colour grading for the last two films! Seems I only need to regrade one film! Thank god!

I'll take some screencaps from the theatrical blu-rays later on to compare if nobody else gets round to it.
post #837 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

The moment a film is released to the general public with the directors name in the credits is the moment my interest in the "director's intention" ceases.
post #838 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I downloaded the pirated screencap ...

You have confidence that that screencap is faithful to the EE BD?
post #839 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong650 View Post

From memory I would say that those screencaps look pretty spot on colour-wise with the theatrical blu-rays. Looks like they haven't messed around with the colour grading for the last two films! Seems I only need to regrade one film! Thank god!

I'll take some screencaps from the theatrical blu-rays later on to compare if nobody else gets round to it.

Wait, I found some in 1080 (also encodes):

Fellowship (new ones):
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/1-01.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/1-03.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/1-02.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/1-04.png

Two Towers:
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/2-01.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/2-03.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/2-02.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/2-04.png

Return of the king:
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/3-01.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/3-03.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/3-02.png
hxxp://pic.phyrefile.com/m/ma/mati/2011/06/08/3-04.png

Sorry for the hxxp - I'm not allowed to post links. Maybe someone can quote me and fix them...
post #840 of 5576 Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Exactly right.
And we don't what went on behind closed doors regarding PJ and this release.
AFAIK, there hasn't been any direct comment by him on this subject.
Until we do, we simply can't know if the "color is right."

Or wrong. But yet here we are. Looking at 720p encodes and pirated stuff.

Jeff
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page