The Lord Of The Rings Extended - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
9 out of these 15 discs are extras. This means it could be 2 Blu-rays per each movie, or 1 Blu-ray and 1 Digital copy per each movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 AM

I know this much, Warner while finally switching to AVC H.264 which is a good thing has yet to release one movie with a decent bitrate all of them have been from 14 mbit/s to 20mbit/s. I unfortunately can guarantee they won't be 35mbit/s plus like all blu-ray should and therefore won't be split onto 2 discs:/
post #213 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I don't give a rat's patootie about the extras; I only care about the PQ and SQ of the movies.

Jeff

Amen to that.
If the AV quality doesn't exceed the BD Theatrical Releases, it ain't a buy for me.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #214 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

amen to that.
If the av quality doesn't exceed the bd theatrical releases, it ain't a buy for me.

+1
post #215 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foughman View Post

9 out of these 15 discs are extras. This means it could be 2 Blu-rays per each movie, or 1 Blu-ray and 1 Digital copy per each movie.

The digital copies are listed as downloads....no media.
post #216 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree that PQ and AQ of the movies is the top priority. But I really enjoyed the special features and would have liked them in HD....however, since much of it was video I have no idea how it was shot.

This is probably the only film(s) that I really cared about the special features. I've watched all 6 appendices more than once
post #217 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Completely agree that Warner needs to maximize PQ and AQ, preferably each film on two discs and the peace of mind of generous average bitrates.

They should consolidate the SD extras onto BR discs instead of just cloning the original DVDs, rather than bolstering the disc count.

I'm sure that Warner will eventually release the films as stand alone with minimal extras, right now they are aiming for the utmost profit by assuaging fans with perceived value of redundant content for many.

With that said I'll gladly pick this up with all the extras, which are of great and engaging quality, since I never hopped onto the subsequent releases after the original EEs.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #218 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Without question (to me) PQ and AQ are the most importants things.

I assume that if the movie is on two discs that is a very good sign right?
post #219 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

With 15 discs this definitely means that each film is split onto two blu-rays. With 4 commentary tracks, DTS HD, other languages, etc. I think it's pretty beneficial especially for the 4 hour ROTK.

6 blu-rays
6 Extended edition special features dvd's
3 Costa Botes dvd's (one for each film)
=15 total

The DVDs that came out in 2006 were 2 discs each, one of them being a DVD-18 flipper and the other being the Costa Botes documentary.

They could have easily turned this into just a 9 disc blu-ray set by combining the 3 discs of special features per movie onto one 50gb blu-ray, but I guess they don't want to bother re-authoring the original dvd's.
post #220 of 5576 Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kami View Post

With 15 discs this definitely means that each film is split onto two blu-rays. With 4 commentary tracks, DTS HD, other languages, etc. I think it's pretty beneficial especially for the 4 hour ROTK.

6 blu-rays
=15 total

The DVDs that came out in 2006 were 2 discs each, one of them being a DVD-18 flipper and the other being the Costa Botes documentary.

They could have easily turned this into just a 9 disc blu-ray set by combining the 3 discs of special features per movie onto one 50gb blu-ray, but I guess they don't want to bother re-authoring the original dvd's.

Ahh....THAT'S where the other three come from. I didn't realize the Costa Botes were one per movie. I have actually never seen them.
post #221 of 5576 Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kami View Post

6 blu-rays
=15 total

It does say 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition + Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]' on amazon so those 3 extra discs could very well be digital copies of each of the films rather than the films split over two blu-rays. I'd love it if they were each split over two blu-rays, the audio and picture quality would most likely be fantastic but my sceptical side tells me that its not all that likely...

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a barebones release of the extended editions, simply rehashing all the dvd extras most of us have already seen from the dvd extended and limited editions, including the films in extended form taken from the same master as the theatrical releases but with worse image and sound quality due to the reduced bitrates in order to be able to fit them each onto a single blu-ray...

At some later date closer to the two hobbit films they will release remastered versions of the extended editions each spread over two blu-rays, with all new extras, forcing people to double dip. Hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it panning out...
post #222 of 5576 Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong650 View Post
It does say 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition + Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]' on amazon so those 3 extra discs could very well be digital copies of each of the films rather than the films split over two blu-rays. I'd love it if they were each split over two blu-rays, the audio and picture quality would most likely be fantastic but my sceptical side tells me that its not all that likely...
I was having a nice day, and then you came along...
post #223 of 5576 Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
...but with worse image and sound quality due to the reduced bitrates in order to be able to fit them each onto a single blu-ray...
You're forgetting that the theatrical blu-rays left quite a lot of space leftover on the discs, so even if they "squeezed" the 250 minute extended ROTK onto one blu-ray, it would still have the same bitrate as the theatrical.

Dear New Line,

Just give us unfiltered, non-DNR'd transfers this time and the people waiting for the extendeds-on-bd will be quite happy.

I'll still be waiting for a proper transfer of the theatricals, though.
post #224 of 5576 Old 03-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
I was having a nice day, and then you came along...
As was mentioned in 215 above, the digital copies are download.
post #225 of 5576 Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Is it a little overboard for there to be 15 discs? isnt 9 discs for extras a little much? or am i just completely wrong in thinking this?
post #226 of 5576 Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter View Post

Is it a little overboard for there to be 15 discs? isnt 9 discs for extras a little much? or am i just completely wrong in thinking this?

No, you're not wrong.
post #227 of 5576 Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM

maybe they are splitting the movies over 2 discs with 26GB each
post #228 of 5576 Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

i'd love it if they were each split over two blu-rays

+1

Frank

post #229 of 5576 Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I hope each film is spread over nine discs each, since apparently everyone has a hardon for disc swapping.
post #230 of 5576 Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

I hope each film is spread over nine discs each, since apparently everyone has a hardon for disc swapping.

Since you have a hardon for disc swapping go for your life and write them an email.

Frank

post #231 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just saw this on blu-ray.com:

"The highly-anticipated Blu-ray release of the extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy doesn't have an official announcement yet, but retailers are revealing further release details, including special features and number of discs. Also, according to Canadian retailer Futureshop, it will come out on June 28.

Amazon has put up a useful comparison table summarizing the contents present in all previous DVD editions, the BD of the Theatrical Editions released a year ago and the upcoming Extended trilogy on Blu-ray.

Reportedly, the box set will consist of 15 discs in total, most of them DVDs for the special features: in all likelihood, they will include the six discs from the extended-edition DVDs plus the three discs from the theatrical and extended limited-edition DVD set released in 2006.

Digital copies will be available online."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6027

post #232 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

Just saw this on blu-ray.com:

"The highly-anticipated Blu-ray release of the extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy doesn't have an official announcement yet, but retailers are revealing further release details, including special features and number of discs. Also, according to Canadian retailer Futureshop, it will come out on June 28.

Amazon has put up a useful comparison table summarizing the contents present in all previous DVD editions, the BD of the Theatrical Editions released a year ago and the upcoming Extended trilogy on Blu-ray.

Reportedly, the box set will consist of 15 discs in total, most of them DVDs for the special features: in all likelihood, they will include the six discs from the extended-edition DVDs plus the three discs from the theatrical and extended limited-edition DVD set released in 2006.

Digital copies will be available online."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6027

The useful comparison on Amazon is not all that useful as it doesn't give any information on the picture or sound, and only re-hashes old information.

And that the "news release" on Blu-ray.com says "in all likelihood" means, in all likelihood, that they are speculating like the rest of us.

And especially bogus is "retailers are revealing further release details" as retailer don't know jack that we don't already know.
post #233 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Best Buy Canada also lists it as Tuesday, June 28.
post #234 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

The useful comparison on Amazon is not all that useful as it doesn't give any information on the picture or sound, and only re-hashes old information.

And that the "news release" on Blu-ray.com says "in all likelihood" means, in all likelihood, that they are speculating like the rest of us.

And especially bogus is "retailers are revealing further release details" as retailer don't know jack that we don't already know.

My post was to make people aware of the possible release date - which I hadn't seen until this morning. And why I bolded only that section.

I didn't write the crap - just trying to share information.

post #235 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Wireless member

"When" is unimportant compared to "what."

Gosh, I have become a really Johnny One Note on that, haven't I?

Jeff
post #236 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

My post was to make people aware of the possible release date - which I hadn't seen until this morning. And why I bolded only that section.

I didn't write the crap - just trying to share information.

And I didn't mean to jump on you for quoting or posting a link. That it was clear you were doing that, I would have thought, would have meant that I was not aiming at you. Just clearing that up!

While I am ranting, I will say that I feel that I am being manipulated with the stream of little news tidbits every few days. Blu-ray.com doesn't post diddly without it coming from the "industry." And Canadian retailers wouldn't release sh1t without it coiing from the "industry."

Jeff
post #237 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Put me down for two discs per movie with healthy bitrates and a quality direct-digital transfer from the digital 2k IP's. At least they were supervised. I doubt WB would have gone back to the original elements and done a 6k scan.

I, personally, would want them to do something like Paramount will undoubtedly do for "The Ten Commandments" with the disc break at the intermission.

Though the extended cuts didn't have an actual intermission, they should have had Peter Jackson supervise Intro, Intermission, Entr' acte, and Exit music with appropriate title cards at spots of his choosing. Just like a road show release from the golden age of cinema.

Unfortunately, I bet WB will do the ol' fade out and "Insert Disc 2 to continue the adventure" BS like they did with the DVD's.

Oh, and I would have loved 7.1 lossless remixes.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #238 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I don't see why they couldn't do a 50GB filled with just the movie and audio and still get one of the highest bitrates out there. And have a second disc with the extras, per movie.
post #239 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

I don't see why they couldn't do a 50GB filled with just the movie and audio and still get one of the highest bitrates out there. And have a second disc with the extras, per movie.

These are long films, longer than Avatar by a large stretch. Longer than many roadshow presentations from years past.

There's also a lot of fast action and low light sequences. Cramming these onto one disc for the sake of being lazy is just crazy talk.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #240 of 5576 Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
what's the high end of realistic bitrates right now? 30-40? These are 3.5 hours on the long end. Can you fit that onto a 50GB?
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page