post #1 of 37 Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Quote:
Special features include:
Commentary with Danny Boyle, Christian Colson & Simon Beaufoy
Search & Rescue - The events that aided the search and rescue of Aron Ralston (BD-exclusive)
127 Hours: An Extraordinary View - A unique collaboration between the director and actor (BD-exclusive)
Deleted Scenes
God of Love: short film by Luke Matheny (BD-exclusive)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Awesome! Can't wait! The movie never made it up to our area, only the Phoenix theaters got it. Read the book which was excellent.

Jeff
post #3 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First review up from DVDBeaver -- 'Reference' PQ !

One of my most anticipated bd releases. LOVE southeast Utah red rock country, where this was based & filmed (wish Boyle had lensed this in the wider scope format - vs standard 1.85).

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...rs_blu-ray.htm

'' It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response ... shall we continue ? ''

post #4 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Its all digital and Fox so I cant see it having bad PQ but the beaver are the last people I would put my stock in
post #5 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post
First review up from DVDBeaver -- 'Reference' PQ !

One of my most anticipated bd releases. LOVE southeast Utah red rock country, where this was based & filmed (wish Boyle had lensed this in the wider scope format - vs standard 1.85).

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...rs_blu-ray.htm
Normally I'd agree. But for me, 1.85 in the theater perfectly captured the heights (and depths) of the canyons.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked: 3925
I am looking forward to this one, too, and plan to pick it up at my neighborhood BB on Tuesday. I skipped it in the theater because I had assumed, apparently incorrectly, that it was a downer. Everything I have reaed supports the notion that 127 Hours is a moving, beautiful film.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #7 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selimsivad View Post

Normally I'd agree. But for me, 1.85 in the theater perfectly captured the heights (and depths) of the canyons.

Yes, that aspect -- plus the narrow, claustrophobic environment of the canyon walls, which would likely be more effectively rendered on a 1.85 frame, had crossed my mind before posting my original comment. Guess I'm just a 'scope' fiend

'' It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response ... shall we continue ? ''
post #8 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw $19.96 advertised at Walmart (bluray.com) but some places will not honor online price matches. BUT it probably will be just about everywhere for that price anyway by release day.

I think it worth a blind buy with the positives I've read about this movie and since the PQ is supposedly very good.
post #9 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Forgive me for the stupidity of this question but its something I've never been sure of. Is 1.85 when there are borders on the top and bottom of the screen as opposed to full screen (which would therefore be 2.35)?
post #10 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
Forgive me for the stupidity of this question but its something I've never been sure of. Is 1.85 when there are borders on the top and bottom of the screen as opposed to full screen (which would therefore be 2.35)?
1.78:1 is full screen on an HDTV. 1.85:1 has tiny bars on the top and bottom, which may be cropped to full screen if your TV overscans. 2.35:1 is the big bars on top/bottom.
post #11 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Oh I see! Thanks for your reply. So in most instances 1.85 is the ideal format for movies-that is if you prefer full screen picture? Or close to full screen. I don't normally see much talk about the 1.78 format, is this format pretty rare or is it just me?
post #12 of 37 Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Guess I'm just a 'scope' fiend

Totally understandable!
post #13 of 37 Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Based on the reviews, I too, will blind buy next Tuesday.
post #14 of 37 Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM

Despite not picking up any of the golden statuettes on Sunday's Oscars, this hasn't dampened my enthusiasm one iota in picking this up today

Here's the next review by veteran hidef reviewers, 'Widescreen Review'...
http://widescreenreview.com/hddisc_d...hp?recid=12414

post #15 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 AM

I just hope that James Franco's performance in 127 Hours was more energetic than his inert turn on this year's Oscars show. On the Oscar's show Franco looked either catatonic or stoned most of the time. He was so unengaged I felt sorry for his cohost, Anne Hathaway, who was actually trying to entertain the audience. No matter, I plan to get the 127 Hours BD at Blockbuster today and watch it tonight.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #16 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rented it today from a local Blockbuster store. I really don't know how much replay value this offers to tell the truth. Anyways, there has been a limited showing at a theater in my area all the way up till a week or two ago and I never went. That would be cheaper than pulling the trigger on a blind buy purchase of the BD but not a rental.
post #17 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I just hope that James Franco's performance in 127 Hours was more energetic than his inert turn on this year's Oscars show. On the Oscar's show Franco looked either catatonic or stoned most of the time. He was so unengaged I felt sorry for his cohost, Anne Hathaway, who was actually trying to entertain the audience.

Indeed....kudos to Hathaway for saving the day. Btw, Melissa Leo's delivery of the F-Bomb was inexplicably not bleeped here in Canada....hmmm, I wonder if this coincides with a recent study that found that us 'polite' Canadians actually use the 'f '-word more than their southern neighbors....(?)

post #18 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Indeed....kudos to Hathaway for saving the day. Btw, Melissa Leo's delivery of the F-Bomb was inexplicably not bleeped here in Canada....hmmm, I wonder if this coincides with a recent study that found that us 'polite' Canadians actually use the 'f '-word more than their southern neighbors....(?)

Did Melissa Leo's acceptance speech not seem to support the notion that it is a bad idea for Oscar nominees to have a toddy or three before the show?

post #19 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Not only is this a great, great film, it's, as far as I'm concerned, a reference blu-ray for a non-computer generated film. PQ and AQ were both stunning in my HT on my 65" Panasonic plasma. And believe me, when the time comes (and you'll know what I'm talking about if you have surround sound) you'll gain an even deeper appreciation for HD audio.(hint: don't bother to close your eyes.)

post #20 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Not only is this a great, great film, it's, as far as I'm concerned, a reference blu-ray for a non-computer generated film. PQ and AQ were both stunning in my HT on my 65" Panasonic plasma. And believe me, when the time comes (and you'll know what I'm talking about if you have surround sound) you'll gain an even deeper appreciation for HD audio.(hint: don't bother to close your eyes.)

As is the case with all Danny Boyle films, 127 Hours is beautiful, wildly imaginative, and filled with arresting images, great sound, and apt music. That said, I expected to like it more than I did. Don't get me wrong, 127 Hours is a fine film but when I finished watching it I was a little disappointed that it hadn't been better than it was. My mistake was probably expecting a great film but getting one that was only very good.

post #21 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As is the case with all Danny Boyle films, 127 Hours is beautiful, wildly imaginative, and filled with arresting images, great sound, and apt music. That said, I expected to like it more than I did. Don't get me wrong, 127 Hours is a fine film but when I finished watching it I was a little disappointed that it hadn't been better than it was. My mistake was probably expecting a great film but getting one that was only very good.

Considering the constraints it ended up being even better than I imagined it could be. Not that it was my top pick of the year or anything, but it was good.

(and no need for people to fear the performance based on his hosting, hosting is entirely different beast, he was in a tough spot at the oscars)
post #22 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I found Franco's performance disarming.
post #23 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just finished watching this blu-ray. The film itself is hard core (in a good way). As stated, reference PQ on my setup.
post #24 of 37 Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post
I found Franco's performance disarming.
Knowing the outcome is why I never cared to go see it in the theater or buy this BD along with an attitude of what the heck is going to be shown for 1 1/2hours?

A very nice rental though and I'm surprised I did that so fast considering I put off ever catching this flick considering very good reviews and while readily available in my area at the theater since about two weeks ago.
post #25 of 37 Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Iam far from being a james franco film and watched this last night only because for danny boyle and all the press it's been getting. With that sd, I thought it was pretty enjoyable and can't help it but to compare with Buried which have similar predicaments and franco did a much better job than ryan reynolds and deserves his oscar nomination. PQ might have been good but I just despise 1.78:1 aspect ratio...it's like watching your projection set up with a giant 4:3 tv. Makes anything you're watching a non-cinematic experience...oh well this is not something I would re-play again or use as demo material anyhoo.
post #26 of 37 Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
Iam far from being a james franco film and watched this last night only because for danny boyle and all the press it's been getting. With that sd, I thought it was pretty enjoyable and can't help it but to compare with Buried which have similar predicaments and franco did a much better job than ryan reynolds and deserves his oscar nomination. PQ might have been good but I just despise 1.78:1 aspect ratio...it's like watching your projection set up with a giant 4:3 tv. Makes anything you're watching a non-cinematic experience...oh well this is not something I would re-play again or use as demo material anyhoo.
This is one instance where 2.35:1 wasn't necessary or warranted. Sure the expansive vistas would have looked great, but seeing as the vast majority of the film takes place in a 2 foot wide chasm, 2.35:1 would have de-emphasized the claustrophobic nature of the film. The 1.85:1 aspect ratio was totally justified, and was probably the optimal choice for shot composition when shooting in such extremely cramped and close quarters.
post #27 of 37 Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
I, too, thought of the similarity of 127 Hours to Buried, although I thought 127 Hours was exponentially better. Buried was dark, claustrophobic, and uninteresting, told in a way that was cynical and negative. 127 Hours, though, was filled with beautiful images and was uplifting and hopeful. If you get the idea from this that I hated, hated, hated, buried, you would be on the right track.

post #28 of 37 Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There was an episode of "I Survived" on A&E where this one numb nut was cleaning out his boiler in the basement on his day off and somehow got his arm stuck in some air flow chamber or crevice. Well anyways if you seen it, you know what happened next is this idiot took his jigsaw which happened to be nearby and started to saw off his arm on the 3rd or 4th day, only to be discovered by his employer or family who called the the police because he didn't show up for work found him passed out in the basement.

During the show he could barely talk because of all the screaming and yelling he did to get help. I mean, how stupid can you be. All he had to do is chill out relax and somebody; his finace, parents, employers will come knocking on his door in about 3-5 days and he sitll would have had his arm. But wow, the way he was describing about getting to the main nerve trying to severe it was hell raising pain. All he had to do was sit back and wait for calvary. Wasn't like he was stuck out in the middle of nowhere in a cave or something. Anyways they have the episode you can watch on A&E.
post #29 of 37 Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It only takes a small handful of days to die of thirst.
post #30 of 37 Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sure, in a desert or humid amazon jungle...but I doubt it in his basement. Plus he never mentioned anything about being thirsty I don't recall. I think he just freaked out and went in state of mind which caused him to do that. Each person responds differently to stress and pressure. Some freak out do dumb things, some can remain calm and collected. Abe lincoln once sd:

"pressure doesn't change a person, it only magnifies what is already there"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page