Blue Velvet on Blu with "lost" scenes - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 70 Old 11-24-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Matt_Stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I really need to watch those extras. Dammit.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Matt_Stevens is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 70 Old 11-25-2011, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Matt_Stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
And I watched the extras and the film. On a small screen, mind you, but it looked terrific.

Most of the scenes cut out of the film were interesting, but Lynch cut them for a reason and he was right to do so.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Matt_Stevens is offline  
post #63 of 70 Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Member
 
gomezfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sartell, MN
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post


Most of the scenes cut out of the film were interesting, but Lynch cut them for a reason and he was right to do so.

Yeah and that reason was that he was contracted to deliver a 2 hour movie. So that's what we have, a movie that's exactly two hours.
gomezfan69 is offline  
post #64 of 70 Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

And I watched the extras and the film. On a small screen, mind you, but it looked terrific.

Most of the scenes cut out of the film were interesting, but Lynch cut them for a reason and he was right to do so.

None of the extra scenes were essential to me, but I did like Jeffrey calling Dorothy and Frank picks up the phone. Neither speaks and we have intense stressful silence for a long period. Then Jeffrey whispers "hello?" and Frank shouts "Talk to me, motherf*****!"

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #65 of 70 Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Matt_Stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezfan69 View Post

Yeah and that reason was that he was contracted to deliver a 2 hour movie. So that's what we have, a movie that's exactly two hours.

And he could have changed it. But he didn't. It's his cut and it's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

None of the extra scenes were essential to me, but I did like Jeffrey calling Dorothy and Frank picks up the phone. Neither speaks and we have intense stressful silence for a long period. Then Jeffrey whispers "hello?" and Frank shouts "Talk to me, motherf*****!"

-Bill

That scene actually is terrific.

My wife had never viewed this film before. Dennis Hopper scared the crap out of her.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Matt_Stevens is offline  
post #66 of 70 Old 11-26-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Lynch overshoots all of his movies. It's his process to experiment on set and then pare down the film in editing to the parts that are actually essential to the story. Wild at Heart had something like three hours of extra footage.

I think the Blue Velvet deleted scenes are fascinating. While none of them were necessary to the story, they give us a peek into what's going on in the world of the movie just off screen. Aunt Barbara is a great character!

I also found the revelation that Jeffrey was forced to drop out of college because his parents couldn't afford it anymore due to his father's illness adds a lot of layers to his character and motivations.

And that's Megan Mullally as Jeffrey's girlfriend! Craziness!

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is online now  
post #67 of 70 Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Penman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

And that's Megan Mullally as Jeffrey's girlfriend! Craziness!

Karen Walker is the one woman who could've given Frank a run for his freak money--and bested him.
Penman is offline  
post #68 of 70 Old 11-26-2011, 01:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Lynch overshoots all of his movies. It's his process to experiment on set and then pare down the film in editing to the parts that are actually essential to the story. Wild at Heart had something like three hours of extra footage.

I think the Blue Velvet deleted scenes are fascinating. While none of them were necessary to the story, they give us a peek into what's going on in the world of the movie just off screen. Aunt Barbara is a great character!

I also found the revelation that Jeffrey was forced to drop out of college because his parents couldn't afford it anymore due to his father's illness adds a lot of layers to his character and motivations.

And that's Megan Mullally as Jeffrey's girlfriend! Craziness!

Will you be reviewing this? If so, you might investigate an authoring issue with the "Mysteries of Love" 70-minute documentary. As mentioned above, it is flagged 16:9 but should be 4:3. Googling shows other people have noticed it, but I don't see it mentioned on any review site.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #69 of 70 Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Will you be reviewing this? If so, you might investigate an authoring issue with the "Mysteries of Love" 70-minute documentary. As mentioned above, it is flagged 16:9 but should be 4:3. Googling shows other people have noticed it, but I don't see it mentioned on any review site.

I'm in the process of reviewing it, and yes the documentary is mis-flagged as 16:9.

The movie looks pretty good, but it has a couple of weird visual anomalies near the beginning. I have no idea what's going on in the sky during the scene where Jeffrey finds the ear.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is online now  
post #70 of 70 Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Matt_Stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Radiation

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Matt_Stevens is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off