Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 622 Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

Got a question for you, when you bolded, "Unfortunately, I have to agree. I haven't seen the original since I was a kid in the 80s, but I had fond memories of it, and high hopes for the sequel." were you implying that one ought to have rented the original film recently to have appreciated the sequel, or are you implying that Tron is a kids film and that's why I didn't enjoy Legacy? I have the feeling that I'm not the only one who hadn't seen the film since I was a kid, in fact, I'm assuming that Disney was sort of banking on that fact.

Well i'm sure many have their memory of the original tainted by nostalgia. Best to rewatch the original first and see it as it really is before jumping into the sequel. As with many other things seen during childhood, they just don't stand up when you go back and look at them again. I've looked at some of the cartoon series I used to watch as a kid, and i 'm always surprirsed at how crude the animation was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
I wouldn't quite call it a turd but given the potential it had and almost 30 years of ideas to to build a sequel off a great original idea it was a fairly epic failure IMO. My main complaints are posted at the top of this page.
Again, go back and rewatch the original. They had 30 years to build on top of some of the thinnest tackiest plot around, they couldn't build on it, they had to rehabilitate the entire concept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 622 Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by terapin View Post
Again, go back and rewatch the original. They had 30 years to build on top of some of the thinnest tackiest plot around, they couldn't build on it, they had to rehabilitate the entire concept.
True. For those of you who haven't seen the original since you were a kid, think back & you'll understand why they've removed almost all references to "Bit", the "energy pool", & some of the other concepts that wouldn't hold up today.

("YesYesYesYesYesYes...")

Edit: Actually, both of those are "referenced" at Flynn's house... he has two "bit" models on his mantle, and what can be assumed to be energy pools as decor. One of th etanks also makes a brief appearance on the grid...
post #453 of 622 Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Well i'm sure many have their memory of the original tainted by nostalgia. Best to rewatch the original first and see it as it really is before jumping into the sequel. As with many other things seen during childhood, they just don't stand up when you go back and look at them again. I've looked at some of the cartoon series I used to watch as a kid, and i 'm always surprirsed at how crude the animation was.

I'm very familiar with the original and while watching Legacy had plenty of real time ideas of what could have been done to significantly improve it. So why in 30 years could they not have done more than make a visually beautiful grid recreation? The movie wasn't bad but it does not deserve apologies for missed growth opportunities.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #454 of 622 Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

True. For those of you who haven't seen the original since you were a kid, think back & you'll understand why they've removed almost all references to "Bit", the "energy pool", & some of the other concepts that wouldn't hold up today.

("YesYesYesYesYesYes...")

Edit: Actually, both of those are "referenced" at Flynn's house... he has two "bit" models on his mantle, and what can be assumed to be energy pools as decor. One of th etanks also makes a brief appearance on the grid...

I think the blue water that everyone was drinking was basically the same substance as the energy pool in the first Tron. Now what really gets me though are the roasted pig and bean curds on the dining table. I guess they're some other form of energy given definitive shape?

Also, I've noticed that the tanks actually make multiple appearances throughout the movie. When Sam is captured you can see several on patrol down below in the city. Not to mention you also seem them stored in the hangar of the Rectifier. Would have been awesome to see those in action though.
post #455 of 622 Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 View Post

Now what really gets me though are the roasted pig and bean curds on the dining table. I guess they're some other form of energy given definitive shape?

Actually, I like this scene... there's a wonderful little touch: if you watch sam as he starts dinner, he picks up a bean or asparagus on his fork, and as he brings it to his mouth, he pauses briefly and looks at it. It's almost as if he's wondering the same thing: What am I putting in my mouth? Can real food exist here? Is this just "constituted digital information"? I don't know if it was the actor's choice or the director's, but it's a subtle moment, and kinda cool.

On the other hand, it got me thinking about that very first digitized orange from the first film. Maybe all those nights flynn was going down to the arcade, he was raiding the fridge to bring lots of food with him? Maybe the entire user food supply on the grid consists of stuff that came from the portal?

(I can just see a recut of the scene where dad & son meet after 20 years: "Sam, it's been so long, you're really here... do you have anything besides oranges to eat?")
post #456 of 622 Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Let's discuss the movie and not discuss discussions of the movie.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #457 of 622 Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Wow! Scheduled a Tron-a-thon last night, the original Tron followed by Tron Legacy and everyone in the room was blown away by the picture and sound quality. I was pleasantly surprised by how much detail was evident in Tron even if it also exposed the shortcomings in the CGI. But it was the picture and DTS-MA sound on Legacy that was really outstanding. My new demo disc.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #458 of 622 Old 04-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw Tron for the first time in more than 20 years last night, along with Tron Legacy. I remember that I was not impressed with the original movie back then either (non-sensical story and some really bad acting), but the effects and visuals were great. I feel much the same way about Legacy today, so in a way it's a worthy successor.
post #459 of 622 Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'm very familiar with the original and while watching Legacy had plenty of real time ideas of what could have been done to significantly improve it. So why in 30 years could they not have done more than make a visually beautiful grid recreation? The movie wasn't bad but it does not deserve apologies for missed growth opportunities.

I'll just have to disagree, I rewatched the bd of tron before I watched legacy, so it is fresh in my mind. And before that I only understood trons place in film history because the dvd was chock full of special features explaining the context of the time of the film. Without such context to appreciate the film as a part of film history, you are left with very little in terms of plot, or ideas at all, they admitted the script writers for tron knew essentially nothing about computers, which is why their concepts were so bizarre. There was literally nothing to build on other than the very broad ideas and visual style, you had to throw out so much silliness.

If you showed tron 1 to anyone today who did not see it as a child, free of historical context , I think you'd find their opinion of it would be very low indeed. The baseline for growth wasn't there, it was all rehabilitation.
post #460 of 622 Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

My recent "Tron-a-thon" was extremely positive. I was just a kid when Tron came out and really liked it growing up, but my wife wasn't even born yet. We watched both back to back and found the original to be fun and enjoyable - albeit dated and corny - and the new one to be shinier, but lacking some of the heart of the original. I'm not sure Quorra could act herself out of a box if her life depended on it. haha

Both movies are great, I'm looking forward to watching all the special features when I get the chance.
post #461 of 622 Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I watched Legacy over the weekend and the PQ/AQ/3D quality are top notch. It's rare that a non-animated film has a perfect presentation but this sucker does!!
post #462 of 622 Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

It's rare that a non-animated film has a perfect presentation but this sucker does!!

Well...
post #463 of 622 Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Even with my non hd sound home theater Tron has some of the best sound I've heard yet!! It's time to upgrade my receiver.
post #464 of 622 Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
We watched this at a friends house the other night. Every time the movie shifted into or out of Imax, the screen would go black for a second, a computer graphics box would show up in the middle with the word PROCESSING flashing, then the projector lens would zoom or expand to show the new sized image. Very distracting and I hope a lot of movies don't get released with this shifting aspect ratio feature.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #465 of 622 Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

We watched this at a friends house the other night. Every time the movie shifted into or out of Imax, the screen would go black for a second, a computer graphics box would show up in the middle with the word PROCESSING flashing, then the projector lens would zoom or expand to show the new sized image. Very distracting and I hope a lot of movies don't get released with this shifting aspect ratio feature.

At the risk of losing my qualification as a home theater nerd, I confess that I am hardly ever aware when a film such as Tron: Legacy or The Dark Knight shifts aspect ratios.

I watched the BD of the original Tron (1982) last night and enjoyed it. It was far clearer and easy to understand than I had found Tron: Legacy to be and the BD's 5.1 HD audio was remarkable. The special effects were primitive by modern standards, of course, but they were imaginatively done, nonetheless. Tron has held its age remarkably well.
post #466 of 622 Old 04-14-2011, 12:36 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

What projector?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #467 of 622 Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It shouldn't do this on a standalone player hooked up through a typical setup. The information encloded on the disc is the same resolution & format throughout, depite the letterboxing.

It sounds like your friend has a projection setup that somehow detects the black bars and automatically adjusts the zoom?!?... it should be pretty easy to disable this.
post #468 of 622 Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 AM

Yea sounds like autodetect is going on, bluray is not animorphic or anything, the stuff is 16:9 sent to the projector.
post #469 of 622 Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I've just skimmed this thread, so maybe it's been discussed. There's 1 scene when Sam runs out of the arcade onto the grid. The shot when you first see the recognizers and right before the hexagon shapes fall away and he's trapped. That shot has major horizontal flickering interference lines, then on the next shot, it's gone never to be seen again.

It was with my new vw60, so my first thought was "oh no". I rewind, and the same thing happens. I think it was right before or after they switched to 1.78, but I can't imagine that's the problem. That shot also makes my Hsu sub rattle everything not nailed down and I thought it could be rattling the projector, but again, it happens no where else in the movie.

I'll look at it again later today. BTW, it's a rental blu ray from Netflix, I'll also switch it to my PS3, so far, it's just been tried in my 400 disc changer.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #470 of 622 Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 127
EJ, I think I know the scene you're talking about. If so, I thought it was just an intentional effect of the light shining down on Sam.

Edit: Just read your post again and I think I'm talking about a different shot.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #471 of 622 Old 04-16-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
My new 3D demo scene's are:

First time entering The Grid and the Recognizer (incredible LFE)
The Light Cycle race (of course)
The Air Battle

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #472 of 622 Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
EJ, I think I know the scene you're talking about. If so, I thought it was just an intentional effect of the light shining down on Sam.

Edit: Just read your post again and I think I'm talking about a different shot.
Nope, its intentional, I checked. The recognizer is bathing the entire scene with scanline light, but then they walk away from the light to the holding platform.
post #473 of 622 Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Liked: 50
My UK double boxset just hit, both are just single discs
post #474 of 622 Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I only wanted the single disc of Tron Legacy.

Found it on ebay for £9.99. Obviously split from the boxset, it'll do nicely.
post #475 of 622 Old 04-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Liked: 50
I hate the on the spine of Tron it has the poster art, it's a real FU considering the art they did use!
post #476 of 622 Old 04-17-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Legacy looks superb in a constant 2.35 ratio. Not a digital hair out of place.
post #477 of 622 Old 04-17-2011, 03:10 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Legacy looks superb in a constant 2.35 ratio. Not a digital hair out of place.

How do you keep it from jumping to 1.85 during the imax scenes?

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #478 of 622 Old 04-17-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 189
One of the benefits of a 21:9 display is that when you crop it to 2.35 it stays cropped. As mentioned in this thread, the IMAX scenes were protected for 2.35 framing and they work beautifully in that ratio.
post #479 of 622 Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It was a panny 4000. As with the second batman movie, a few of the scenes were filmed in Imax so the aspect ratio shifts when it goes into those scenes. I believe this is noted in a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #480 of 622 Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I'm fine with the changing ARs on this movie.

I use automated masking for my projection set up. When I notice an AR change I just hit the open or close button on my top/bottom masking. There's actually a real "wow" factor with the shift from 2:35:1 to 16:9, and the whole screen opens up, sucking you into the bigger image. Lots of fun.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page