Tron: Legacy (2D and 3D) - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i believe i read a interview somewhere with the director that the audio was remixed for blue ray anyway, so comparing to the theater doesn't matter.

found it:
AX: Is there a special feature on the Blu-ray you're particularly proud of?

KOSINSKI: I got to go back and remix the whole soundtrack in January. So I got to fix all things that bothered me in the mix in the theatrical version. I'm glad we got that out on Blu-ray. I was playing with that Second Screen app, I think it's cool for people how these things are made to take these scenes back to their storyboard stage to see how much work goes into making something like this happen.

AX: What bothered you with the original mix?

KOSINSKI: Whether it was the mix between the FX and the sound or the timing of the sound FX or missing sound FX, because we didn't get an effect for each action. We were so crushed for time at the end there. So I was able to go back and do a 110 fixes on the mix. I think people who listen closer are going to notice in some sections, there is a lot more bottom end in the orchestral mixes and some other stuff I tweaked a little bit and I was very happy with it.

http://www.assignmentx.com/2011/excl...u-ray-release/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Ah yes, why didn't I think of that? WSR had an article about the sound mix for the BD release. I get they added over 100 instances of extra clipping for our viewing (hearing) pleasure.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletheos View Post

i believe i read a interview somewhere with the director that the audio was remixed for blue ray anyway, so comparing to the theater doesn't matter.

found it:
AX: Is there a special feature on the Blu-ray you're particularly proud of?

KOSINSKI: I got to go back and remix the whole soundtrack in January. So I got to fix all things that bothered me in the mix in the theatrical version. I'm glad we got that out on Blu-ray. I was playing with that Second Screen app, I think it's cool for people how these things are made to take these scenes back to their storyboard stage to see how much work goes into making something like this happen.

AX: What bothered you with the original mix?

KOSINSKI: Whether it was the mix between the FX and the sound or the timing of the sound FX or missing sound FX, because we didn't get an effect for each action. We were so crushed for time at the end there. So I was able to go back and do a 110 fixes on the mix. I think people who listen closer are going to notice in some sections, there is a lot more bottom end in the orchestral mixes and some other stuff I tweaked a little bit and I was very happy with it.

http://www.assignmentx.com/2011/excl...u-ray-release/

Fascinating. I find Tron Legacy to stand out as one of the poorer mixes I've heard. Deep bass aside, it's just sort of barren and flat. Reminds me of the type of mixes you get out of a made for TV movie.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Fascinating. I find Tron Legacy to stand out as one of the poorer mixes I've heard. Deep bass aside, it's just sort of barren and flat. Reminds me of the type of mixes you get out of a made for TV movie.

Interesting.......IMO its the best track so far this year (even with the clipping) along with Battle LA.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 08-19-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness

I agree, even the mp3 of the soundtrack sounds better. Very disappointing.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I mean, of course I'd like there not to be clipping or any of that. Not going to get my panties in a bunch about it either. I've got worse things to worry about.

True, but it does help put the S back into AVS. :-)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

She blinded me with S
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Subjective?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 08-19-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Subjective?

But... but... it's a SQUARED sine wave. It's Rubbish! Scum! Slime! Muck! Boo, BOO, BOOOOOOO! ;-)
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Interesting.......IMO its the best track so far this year

+1 it was awesome.

Frank
Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I too thought the soundtrack on Tron was incredible. Albeit I have a fairly low end 5.1 system... in comparison to other tracks it was extremely enveloping and one of my favorite aspects of the movie. A friend of mine who saw the movie had the same feeling.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Liked: 50
Sky just started showing this in HD and I was hoping for a constant 2.35:1 like they had with Dark Knight but, alas no dice
Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 306
It's been a Tron showcase in our basement Home Theater.
Via Netflix Blu-rays, Last week we watched Tron Classic, and last night Tron Legacy.

I've not seen Tron Classic in ages (I'm 49 and remember it well from back in the day).
My kids found it to be slow at times, still liked it. The sound mix was better than my expectations, and there was some LFE.

Now, last night we saw Tron Legacy, a good movie that kept my attention.
Visual PQ, LFE, enough action to keep the movie going yet not overdone.

We watched it in 2.35:1 mode, even though the beginning credits said it would switch between aspect ratios to match the IMAX presentation.

Overall, my kids really liked it and so did us adults.
Tron 3.....2014?? is there a rumor out there?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Tron 3.....2014?? is there a rumor out there?

For now it looks like they're focusing on the animated tv series.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118026910
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron:_Uprising
Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 PM

First off I know I'm necroposting but I won't make a new thread. NOW to my points about shifting aspect ratios...I LOVE it..sure it sucks for projection but Im sick of people calling it an IMAX gimmick...first off allot of movies are shot in Super35 or even full 35mm (that is 1.37:1 Academy!) and cropped to 1.78 or even 2.39:1...keep in mind thats the way allot of things are shot. If the director wants a scene in scope and another scene open matte I respect it so long as its not every other fricken frame and it has a purpose (like an "epic" scene, fight scene or massive establishing shot). It is not "the cheap way" to crop off a 1.78 image to 2.35:1 when your shooting on an F35....any of you want to foot the bill for the few anamorphic lenses that do 1.33x to convert 1.78 to 2.35:1? While your at it toss me a Hawk V-lite 1.33x prime (25mm works nice!)...while that would have been the smart choice its the only choice for anamorphic 1.78 to 2.35 and maybe the optical quality's were not of interest to a the cinematographer...people turn down lenses by the way they FEEL sometimes (after all I don't want to use a lens that is uncomfortable or too heavy if another can do it better)...I felt the scenes were very well composed in Tron Legacy. I thought the movie was only 2.39:1 at first so my first ripped was 1920x800 until I read online and I grabbed my BD disc and watched it in my Blu-ray player on the same monitor I had watched it in scope only (I connect my MBP to my TV via HDMI for full effect biggrin.gif) and the scenes that were in 1.78:1 sometimes were eye catching.

I do all of my Blu-ray watching on my MacBook Pro (I rip onto my FW800 drive) and after watching both Avatar, The Dark Knight, and Tron Legacy I watched ALL of them matted down to 2.35 the whole time, untouched, matted down to 2.20:1 (I liked this but really liked the idea of 65mm and 35mm being used together with shifting aspect ratios)....I noticed with Tron and TDK I preferred the default while in Avatar I preferred many scenes in scope, especially the scenes inside where they are having a conversation....I don't need to see Jake Sully's legs dangling out of his wheel chair and misc. unimportant data on the top of the frame half the time....however flying scenes in 1.78:1 are stunning. James Cameron framed everything for 2.35:1 so everything was safe when I was testing this out.

Anyways the sound mix was phenomenal! I felt like the music was always appropriate to the situation (something allot of movies sometimes screw up but I'm picky!) and the idea of Daft Punk doing the score (and playing the DJ's for a little bit!) was a great choice...the transitions were great too. Although you guys mentioned clipping I did not notice this at all....that said I didn't have DTS-HD-MA decoding at the time so I was listening to it in DTS-ES with 7.1 speakers. The Dolby mix sounded fine too...I don't know how you send a movie as big as Tron Legacy out the door with audio clipping :O I'd be embarrassed if I were the sound mixer! Gotta keep those meters at under 0dBs ;-) (In reality though I master at -6 for online and -12 to -18 for stuff I expect to be amplified)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

I don't think anyone ever disagreed that it was shot with uniform cameras & chips/stock throughout; I just feel that the shifting AR doesn't necessarily make it an IMAX gimmick, anymore than the scenes in 1939's Oz are a "Technicolor gimmick".

I prefer to think of it as "this is the way the director prefers the film to be seen", & I'm glad the ratio switch made it to disc.

If you don't wish to view it that way, then crop it in the display or in the computer (as nexus did). It's easier for you to do that than for me to make up content that wasn't encoded!
THANK YOU!! Finally someone that gets it!

Edit: Someone posted about a possible Tron 3...I've heard that it is a definite go since all the positive feedback from Tron Legacy...what is up in the air now is if the previous Director is going to do it or not which I think is pivotal. He was very into creating the Grid not just with CGI but with physical structures that represented the various buildings which I thought made for a WAY better looking CGI effect that some other movies. Very cool stuff when you look at some of the interviews and behind the scenes stuff.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 AM

Another member suggested me to re-post my problem in this area (had originally posted on movies, concerts, etc...), so here we go again with the hope I can get some answers from you guys.

I just recently ordered from amazon the 4 disc Tron:Legacy blu-ray set (comes with Blu-ray 3D, blu-ray 2D, DVD, and digital copy) and was pretty excited to enjoy the picture and sound quality of both the 3D and 2D blu-rays. However I was pretty disappointed to see a lot of grain on the 3D and 2D discs, the 3D version has a lot of grain which is more evident on the starting 2D scenes. First I thought this may have been an issue of the 3D disc, however when I popped in the 2D disc I got the same grainy image, it almost looks as the intended grain that you see on the Sucker Punch blu-ray. Then I thought it was my HT setup (47 inch Samsung ES7500, Samsung Blu-Ray BD-E5500, Marantz NR1603 AV Receiver), so I popped in both discs on my PC and I saw the same problems, then I started doing some research on the net and found some interesting results (see the reference links I've posted below).

There seems to be some people who have experienced this issue, however when they ask about the grain problem on forums most of the replies mention they are not experiencing the problem and mention the cause could be due to faulty equipment (TV, blu ray) or incorrect video settings (filters and other video processing turned on, etc). What makes this thing more confusing is that there's just like one or two blu-ray reviews that mention there is intended grain whereas others don't (AVS review doesn't mention it).

I just want to know if grain is intended to be there or if I got a disc set with a bad transfer? Anyone kind to help/share their experience with this blu-ray?

Reference Threads:

1) Some with grain and others without it

2) Another one with grain

Blu-Ray Reviews:

1) Grain mentioned as barely noticeable

2) Grain mentioned as intrusive but also present on the theatrical presentation
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Tron Legacy was shot entirely digital. Any and all grain that you see in a digital film would be synthetic and would therefore be completely intentional (unless the Blu-ray were sourced from a 35mm or 70mm version - which I don't believe TL was and makes very little sense). Unless you're mistaking digital noise for synthetic grain, but even then I don't recall seeing anything resembling grain or noise on my Blu-ray. My guess is that you're seeing some sort of weird artifact coming from your equipment. It's possible your disc is defective, but less likely. It's been a while since I've watched it, so I'll have to check it out again to be sure.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks nathanddrews, if you could check it again that would be great. Check some of the starting scenes, especially the one where ENCOM's employees are sitting at the board room doing the OS presentation, that scene has a lot of grain and is quite noticeable.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM

It's not your equipment, it's obviously video noise and I've seen it on my setup.

Also on what level is sharpness setup in your TV?

Panasonic TX-P42G30E
PS3
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vertigo View Post

It's not your equipment, it's obviously video noise and I've seen it on my setup.

If the sharpness is cranked up, it would be his equipment. wink.gif
Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vertigo View Post

Is this video noise "normal"?

I've got sharpness set up to 12 out of 100.

What is interesting is that the trailers (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strangers Tides, Cars 2, and Tron Uprising) that come with the blu-ray look flawlessly without any of that video noise. It seems I'll have to set sharpness to 0 and turn noise reduction on, someone else also mentioned this same problem and solution on the highdefdigest forums. frown.gif
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

If the sharpness is cranked up, it would be his equipment. wink.gif
Well, yeah, but I got sharpness at 0 and I still see this. It's not distracting or agressive like in night shots in Miami Vice or Collateral, but it's there.

Panasonic TX-P42G30E
PS3
Old 09-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Tron Legacy: TK Doom Home Theater Edition

This is one of the few Blurays that have alternating aspect ratios from its IMAX larget format to 2.35:1.

I saw this 7 times in the theater, 3 or 4 in IMAX, 3 or 4 in regular 2d.

I decided to watch the non-3d version (my glasses weren't charged anyway, haven't watched any 3d in a while) and watch it on the 16:9 version of my screen (181") so i would see the variable aspect ratio. Now granted, i've already watch this 2 or 3 times back on my old 65" RPTV, so I've technically SEEN this Bluray before, however, once I built my new HT, I moved all my previously viewed Blurays back to the unviewed section.

All I can say is WOW.

This disc is INCREDIBLE. The picture, the clarity, the sound all are top notch! I didn't watch it at reference level or anything, as not to wake the baby, plus I probably wouldn't be able to hear the baby monitor anyway.

This movie ranks up there with my all time favorites, from a father/son perspective, to a quality of presenation level, to a nostalgia level.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should watch it, it can stand on its own two feet.

After that i shoved in the Classic Tron Bluray (which I had not watched yet), they did a good job with what they had, I only watched the first 10 minutes, but i look forward to finishing it in the weeks to come....with M sleeping on his own through the night, i might get to use my HT more often now!

The extras on this disc are incredible as well!

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!