The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader for Blu-ray release on April - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I called Fox and got a very helpful customer service rep who told me they have already had a number of similar calls and are aware of the packaging problem. They agreed to mail me another copy of the dvd, since that's all that was scratched in my second order, though by the sound of it, they would have mailed me all new discs if all were damaged. He did ask me to forward my amazon order confirmation, so be prepared to email or fax some form of proof of purchase. The Fox BD support number is 1-888-223-4369.

I didn't even think to ask about if they planned on replacing the case, but he agreed this paper case wasn't very well designed for the same reasons. He said the use of paper is because Fox is apparently going more "green", which I sincerely hope isn't the case, as even the paper cases with disc hubs are annoying to remove and replace the discs. They shouldn't treat the disc case as if it's as disposable as the shrinkwrap. The case should last as long as the disc does. Not saying I buy it or even think such use of paper is actually environmentally friendly, especially considering the unnecessary book of postcards that's included too - I'm just relaying what I was told.

Farm raised trees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks, Chad! I'll be calling Monday. It would be interesting to see how prevalent this problem is.
post #63 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 12:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Played fine on a Panasonic player. Don't really care about the packaging as I throw it all away anyway, so if the discs aren't scratched upon opening I'm good.

Didn't watch the film, but I heard what appeared to be some great audio from the other room while the family watched it. Some really nice and low LFE.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #64 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having trouble playing this as well (meaning it will not play at all). I use TMT 5 on my computer. It makes sense that copyright issues will have more impact on a computer than a STB.
post #65 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

on the packaging

what you are looking at is the bluray disc in the copy i just got today... it is GLUED to the adhesive meant to hold the case together
post #66 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
i'm really not liking this open-matte thing going on with 3D movies...

between the (imo) misuse of digital cinematography and the blown composition, really makes it look like some TV movie.
post #67 of 109 Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

on the packaging
what you are looking at is the bluray disc in the copy i just got today... it is GLUED to the adhesive meant to hold the case together

I don't mind a Blu-ray disc in a cardboard sleeve... in every case I've seen thus far, it doesn't really harm the disc. BUT, this is a terrible blunder, that so many people are receiving this with their discs glued, or containing glue on them. I actually went to Wal-Mart despite receiving the three disc edition for free, and spent money for the regular case version.
post #68 of 109 Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

Even if it wasn't shown in open matte, if the director feels the same as Cameron does and shot the film with this in mind then the two are still very comparable.

Not really comparable at all. The scope worked much better...this cropped version looks smaller. Like (as someone mentioned) a TV movie. The sense of scale has been eliminated, for the most part. And some scenes, they couldn't even fit people within the frame! Terrible. If the director wished, he could easily have made the film in 1.85. He didn't and chose to compose for a different ratio. Not the same thing as AVATAR.

And the poor packaging makes it even easier to pass. (By the way, this isn't the first BD to crop a widescreen movie down to 1.78. Guess OAR will be extinct in a few years for home viewing as well. Studios must really have contempt for the films they produce.)

post #69 of 109 Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

I don't mind a Blu-ray disc in a cardboard sleeve... in every case I've seen thus far, it doesn't really harm the disc. BUT, this is a terrible blunder, that so many people are receiving this with their discs glued, or containing glue on them. I actually went to Wal-Mart despite receiving the three disc edition for free, and spent money for the regular case version.

Until this post, I didn't even know there was a regular case version. Glad I didn't rush out and buy the 3 disc crappy case version like I had planned. The reports about how bad the case is had caused me to skip this release until a regular case version was made available. I'm not a big fan of cardboard cases but I hate these stupid pull out cardboard sleeves that hold the disc. Whoever came up with this idea at Fox should be fired IMO.

I've never said this before but, thank you Wal-Mart.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #70 of 109 Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

Thanks. I didn't know there was another edition either. If so, maybe we can get Fox to send the rest of us a case that's actually functional, not to mention one that is reasonably protective of our investment and should last as long as the disc does. Looks like I'll be making another call.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #71 of 109 Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

No problem. Fair warning though, it is a one disc edition at WalMart in the regular case and has no special features. That suits me fine but others may not like that.
post #72 of 109 Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I don't have an Oppo and it being an Aussie BD in question I don't know if it's related, but when I was talking to Ralph the other day, he mentioned that he's had a number of problems loading Fox BDs in particular on his Oppo as well. Fox has always been more paranoid than most studios about copy protection, which is my initial assumption as to why that might be, as other studios are using just as many java annoyances.

Greetings,

FYI - Voyage of the Dawn Treader loaded and played without issue in my Oppo BDP-93.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #73 of 109 Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
IS there a 3D with 2D with the US bluray?
post #74 of 109 Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 AM

Well I'm having an issue playing this disc. My bluray player is an old LG GGC-H20L drive for my HTPC and I keep getting a red screen asking me to update my firmware when I put this disc in. MY firware for the drive is the latest (v. 1.03) so I don't know what to do. Please help. All my other titles work fine.
post #75 of 109 Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

thats not a player, its just a disc drive. you probably need to update powerdvd or whatever program you actually use to play the disc.
post #76 of 109 Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

The Silver Chair would make sense as the next release since it is also the next chronologically in the series.

There are three other books: The Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, and The Last Battle. They were also written in that order after the first four books.

I don't see The Horse and His Boy getting a screen adaptation as it's really more of a side story, and the rest of the series can survive just fine without it.

That's interesting, since The Horse and His Boy was my second favorite of the series, after Dawn Treader. I think I've read it the most of all seven. Magician's Nephew would be a close third.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #77 of 109 Old 04-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Slight Menu Issue with newest Narnia movie

When the movie reaches the menu screen on the Blu-ray disc, there is no cursor on screen. I cannot tell what menu choice I am on. The movie looks and sounds grreat.

With the SD disc, I can see the blue (?) bars that indicate where the cursor is.

Anyone else have this issue? I have tried playing the Blu-ray disc on both an Oppo BDP 83 and a Sony CX960. I have not tried it on a PS3 yet.

Thanks much,

Steve[
post #78 of 109 Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Not really comparable at all. The scope worked much better...this cropped version looks smaller. )

Its not cropped, your seeing all the information that you saw in the theaters, its just your seeing even more.

Whether or not the director composed for strictly a scope showing is simply not known at this point.

Until we have some kind of quote from him saying they screwed this up, then I'm going to assume hes OK with the open matte presentation for home viewing that utilizes the home viewer's entire screen.
post #79 of 109 Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

What's there to know? The movie was scope theatrically. This is open-matte. IMO it's ruinous to the framing of the shots, tons of empty space.
post #80 of 109 Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
What's there to know? The movie was scope theatrically. This is open-matte. IMO it's ruinous to the framing of the shots, tons of empty space.
Again, I think if the director felt that way he would have A) Stopped it from happening. B) We would know he feels that way because their would have been some kind of story or we would have heard about it by now by way of word of mouth, which we HAVEN'T.

I'm saying, regardless of how anyone else feels about it being "ruinous". If the director is OK with it, then I'm OK with it.

Now obviously you can have your own opinion and disagree with the director, as many people are still POed over what Cameron did with Avatar. But if the director is OK with an open matte presentation to utilize the entire screen, thats more than good enough for me.
post #81 of 109 Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

If however the director is POed over what they did, then that would suck, and I'd join the "scope" side in a heartbeat. But really, its all about the director's intent. I want to see what he wants me to see as HE is the one telling the story.

I really don't care if it was shown theatrically this way or not, if he likes his film being viewed this way on home video to utilize your entire screen, then who are you to tell him how to show his film????
post #82 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Its not cropped, your seeing all the information that you saw in the theaters, its just your seeing even more.
This doesn't apply to the entire film, certain scenes have been cropped on the sides.

Personally, I'm not going to by it nor rent it. If the aspect ratio of a BD, any BD for that matter, is not as it was shown in theatres I'm not going to waste my money on it. Director's intent or not.
post #83 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
For me, the big question is "why?". Why do this at all when it was shown as a scope presentation in the theaters? I'd be afraid to ask the director or studio (whoever made the call) for fear I'd hear something about people not wanting black bars at home.

Personally, I don't understand releasing the bluray in a different ratio than was shown theatrically. This movie or any other. One thing I'm not disappointed with is the audio. Great track on this.

Stephen.

post #84 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdinandhudson View Post
This doesn't apply to the entire film, certain scenes have been cropped on the sides.
That I wasn't aware of, where did you hear about that? All the reviews I've read stated this was an open matte presentation.
post #85 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

First, some are assuming that the director had input on the BD release. Do you think every director okays every film to be cropped by HBO, Max, and Starz? Nope. They just do it without any input. And, if a director DOES try to stop them (as Steven Soderbergh did with his OCEANS movie), they refuse. Soderbergh eventually had to get some studio exec "with better things to do" to step in and make sure the films were shown correctly. Of course, IF this is what Apted asked for...well, it's a pretty odd choice, if true.

I decided to check IMDB (not that I needed to, as I could tell the movie was cropped when characters could barely fit in the frame, as well as the wasted space). According to them, it was filmed anamorphic, and NOT Super 35. There IS cropping, and not just on effects scenes. See the attached for comparison (color differences are due to one shot being from the trailer and the other from the BD) Aside from the cropping, even the distances between characters seems altered when cropped. Also, the composition looks "off" on the cropped image. The movie looks more like a Direct-to-video release on BD.

Oh, and please stop comparing to AVATAR. That movie was shown theatrically with different aspect ratios (and composed for that)...NARNIA was not.

This is not the first new BD disc that has a widescreen movie cropped (STAG NIGHT is another recent release that comes to mind.) So...you now have cable channels cropping films, OnDemand versions also cropped, and now it's beginning with BD discs. Pretty soon, we'll never be able to see a film at home the way it was intended.
LL
LL

post #86 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

That I wasn't aware of, where did you hear about that? All the reviews I've read stated this was an open matte presentation.

There has been comparison shots posted on other forums regarding this. This is akin to the Alliance BD of Equilibrium which treated that film similarly, a mix of "open matte" and cropping.
post #87 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

First, some are assuming that the director had input on the BD release. Do you think every director okays every film to be cropped by HBO, Max, and Starz? Nope.

Apparently, in this case Apted is on record per the disc's commentary that the 1.78:1 presentation for the home video release was his choice. I believe his words were that it was more "intimate". Based on that, we will have to assume that that is the case whether we like it or not. I can only hope that some release in the world opts to use the theatrical aspect ratio over this or that there is a future release that does.
post #88 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

Slight Menu Issue with newest Narnia movie

When the movie reaches the menu screen on the Blu-ray disc, there is no cursor on screen. I cannot tell what menu choice I am on. The movie looks and sounds grreat.

With the SD disc, I can see the blue (?) bars that indicate where the cursor is.

Anyone else have this issue? I have tried playing the Blu-ray disc on both an Oppo BDP 83 and a Sony CX960. I have not tried it on a PS3 yet.

Thanks much,

Steve[

I just tried this with my PS3 and have the same issue. The 2 blue lines do not show up on the Main Menu selection to show where you are. Also, once you have made a menu selection, the blue line does not show up.

Is any one else having this problem or am I the only one?

Thank you,

Steve
post #89 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently, in this case Apted is on record per the disc's commentary that the 1.78:1 presentation for the home video release was his choice. I believe his words were that it was more "intimate". Based on that, we will have to assume that that is the case whether we like it or not. I can only hope that some release in the world opts to use the theatrical aspect ratio over this or that there is a future release that does.

Hadn't heard that , since Warners eliminates commentary tracks from rental copies. "Intimate"...yes, that is just what a "hoped-for-epic" fantasy needs...make the film even smaller than it already is! Must come from those "28, 38 UP" movies he did. Still, cropping is becoming rampant via all other options...seeing a few films suffering the same fate on BD remains disturbing.

post #90 of 109 Old 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seeing as the movie pretty much sucked, I'm not surprised this was his decision. Maybe he should try another line of work (Though I admit I'm still sour over Spielberg's choice of ratio on my most anticipated Bluray to date, Schindler's List...but it was also that way theatrically). At least the audio team knew what they were doing with Dawn Treader. I'm just a scope fan.

Stephen.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page