Ernest Goes to Camp / Ernest Goes to Jail ***official thread*** - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Ernest Goes To Camp (1987)

A group of juvenile criminals is sent for vacation to Kamp Kikakee. The clumsy Ernest has to care for them, although he doesn't even know how to take care of himself. The other children at the camp show enmity against them, but the group knows very well how to defend themselves. They do also help the Indian owner of the camp when a brutal mining corporation wants to tear down the camp to mine a rare mineral.

Ernest Goes To Jail (1990)

Ernest P. Worrell, he is a bumbling janitor at a bank. Ernest wants to become a clerk in the bank he is working in. Meanwhile, a criminal in the Draccup penitentiary had murdered an inmate and is now in court. This is when Ernest was chosen for jury duty. Unberknownst to Ernest, he is being set up for a dangerous criminal named Felix Nash (who looks a lot like Ernest). Then Nash knocks out Ernest and switches places with him. However, Ernest realizes what is going on and is trying to escape from the penitentiary and stop Nash, who is taking over his job and his life.

I'm still looking for the official artwork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
"Jail" was always my favorite, but "Camp" is good too. I don't think I would pay over $20 for the set though - even with perfect transfers. "Scared Stupid" was pretty entertaining as well.
post #3 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I miss Jim Varney and really liked Hey Vern It's Ernest.
post #4 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Mill Creek is the company that did all the bargain-basement Stephen J. Cannell TV series releases last year, so I'm not that optimistic about their attempting a BD release. Or, rather, multiple BD releases.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #5 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post
Mill Creek is the company that did all the bargain-basement Stephen J. Cannell TV series releases last year, so I'm not that optimistic about their attempting a BD release. Or, rather, multiple BD releases.
I'm excited to see how the Mill Creek Django BD compares to Blue Underground Django BD.

But I never seen any of their other upcoming films on BD, are they any good as films?
post #6 of 40 Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone watched these yet or seen reviews of the Blu-rays? Amazon is selling the SET for $8! At that price, I wouldn't think I could go wrong, but I already have the DVDs, so if this is just an SD upconvert, then there's not much point.
post #7 of 40 Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM

Liked: 22
This is the same studio who release the first two '90s Gamera movies late last year, and they turned out okay despite some cramming to fit both movies on one disc. Keeping expectations up a bit wouldn't be out of the question.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I wish they would release his short lived Saturday morning TV show "Hey Vern It's Ernest." It's not even on standard dvd yet.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I wish they would release his short lived Saturday morning TV show "Hey Vern It's Ernest." It's not even on standard dvd yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Hey-Vern-Its-E...0143219&sr=1-3

You're welcome.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootse7en View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Hey-Vern-Its-E...0143219&sr=1-3

You're welcome.

Wow! $7 for the whole series... Hmm... that's tempting. Now if only it was on Blu-ray... j/k
post #11 of 40 Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
"....Elvis has vandalized my house..." Ernest Goes To Jail is my fav' of all his films. It's shot, mostly, in his adopted home town, Whitehall, Tennessee. I knew Jim the last few years of his life. I met him because a high school friend cut his hair.

I freaked him out when I met him. I said hello and then said, "do you remember me, I took your course at the community college..." He's looking at me like I'm insane.... "...remember that course about how to get the most out of your new car warranty". His eyes lit up like a pinball machine and his mouth made a smile as big as Rhode Island....he realized that I was on about his mechanic bit from Fernwood Tonight.

Jim remembered damn near every line he ever performed. His memory was bloody amazing. He rattled off the whole Mechanic Sketch for me and Mattie on the spot. I knew just when to do the Martin Mull part and say "tell us about that lawsuit".

"Say, you're having trouble with your transmission, We want that sucker to break on the good for us, bad for them side of the warranty...." He goes on to say that you load up the trunk of the car and, "pop that clutch over and over till it drops that transmission like crap out of a goose..."

Jim was an amazing guy....I wish he'd lasted longer!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #12 of 40 Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

"....Elvis has vandalized my house..." Ernest Goes To Jail is my fav' of all his films. It's shot, mostly, in his adopted home town, Whitehall, Tennessee. I knew Jim the last few years of his life. I met him because a high school friend cut his hair.

I freaked him out when I met him. I said hello and then said, "do you remember me, I took your course at the community college..." He's looking at me like I'm insane.... "...remember that course about how to get the most out of your new car warranty". His eyes lit up like a pinball machine and his mouth made a smile as big as Rhode Island....he realized that I was on about his mechanic bit from Fernwood Tonight.

Jim remembered damn near every line he ever performed. His memory was bloody amazing. He rattled off the whole Mechanic Sketch for me and Mattie on the spot. I knew just when to do the Martin Mull part and say "tell us about that lawsuit".

"Say, you're having trouble with your transmission, We want that sucker to break on the good for us, bad for them side of the warranty...." He goes on to say that you load up the trunk of the car and, "pop that clutch over and over till it drops that transmission like crap out of a goose..."

Jim was an amazing guy....I wish he'd lasted longer!

That's awesome. That guy was a huge part of my childhood, and to meet him would have been amazing.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

question for those who preordered from amazon...

has your order shipped or did you get the same email i got about approving a delay on the order?
post #14 of 40 Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I got the same Amazon delay thingie.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #15 of 40 Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Got my copy from amazon today and I'm almost scared to watch them: Mill Creek crammed both movies onto one disc, a single-layer BD25. There don't appear to be any extras, but with both DTS MA 2.0 and PCM, that seems like a mighty tight fit for roughly 3 hours of HD video. The disc specs also curiously lists the video as 1080i/1080p, which if 1080i, is even more discouraging for those hoping for updated or even proficient outdated transfers. They also used, I believe, the cheapest case they could find. I know Universal used them for a few of their earliest BDs a few years ago, but I haven't seen this square style case with the type of painted logo that half comes off when you remove the security sticker, other than from generic replacement case vendors, since.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #16 of 40 Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Got my copy from amazon today and I'm almost scared to watch them: Mill Creek crammed both movies onto one disc, a single-layer BD25. There don't appear to be any extras, but with both DTS MA 2.0 and PCM, that seems like a mighty tight fit for roughly 3 hours of HD video. The disc specs also curiously lists the video as 1080i/1080p, which if 1080i, is even more discouraging for those hoping for updated or even proficient outdated transfers. They also used, I believe, the cheapest case they could find. I know Universal used them for a few of their earliest BDs a few years ago, but I haven't seen this square style case with the type of painted logo that half comes off when you remove the security sticker, other than from generic replacement case vendors, since.

This may well be how we get blu-rays that are not mucked with unfortunitly.
post #17 of 40 Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Too true. It sometimes seems studios are doing their level best to mess up this format, if not kill packaged media altogether. I mean, what other industry values rediculously unqualified consumer criticism over that of the films creators or professional film restoration companies? How is letting someone who doesn't know anything about the technology behind your product or the medium it's based on, tell you how to improve it, the optimal business philosophy, much less a smart idea? But, I guarantee you that, today, studios put far more weight on what's said on amazon than what any professional online reviewer or any dedicated fan site or blogger who actually cares enough to have done a little homework, has to say.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #18 of 40 Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Well....???

I'm not impatient, I promise!
post #19 of 40 Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

The disc specs also curiously lists the video as 1080i/1080p, which if 1080i, is even more discouraging for those hoping for updated or even proficient outdated transfers.

camp is 1080i (as evidenced by the picture below) jail is 1080p

yeah the 2 movies on one BD25 with a DTS HD (and it is MA and not HR like the logo on the package suggests) and PCM track does cause some problems with bitrate... at least the transfers haven't been DNRed and EEed to death
LL
post #20 of 40 Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

camp is 1080i (as evidenced by the picture below) jail is 1080p

yeah the 2 movies on one BD25 with a DTS HD (and it is MA and not HR like the logo on the package suggests) and PCM track does cause some problems with bitrate... at least the transfers haven't been DNRed and EEed to death

While not the best screen shot, I can still tell that it's better than my DVDs! BUYING IT!

Thank you!
post #21 of 40 Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo View Post

The cover art quality I'm seeing on Amazon and Blu-ray.com is bad.

I could really care less about the cover art, especially at $8 for the two. I would like to know what the quality of the video is, but at this price point I think I could stomach the cover looking horrible.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #22 of 40 Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

picture

post #23 of 40 Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to see Camp has been kept in scope. Always throws me to think an Ernest flick was shot at such a ratio.
post #24 of 40 Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally got this in the mail. Honestly, I'm very impressed. Great detail and color, no apparent filtering. If you're an Ernest fan, this is worth twice the asking price! $8 for both is insane.

EDIT: OK, I was a little excited last night. I'm not going back on my above comments, just clarifying that it's not the next Pixar release or anything, I don't want you to get the wrong impression. This is just the best that I have ever seen either of these movies look. Given the time these were shot (1987/90), they are clean, smooth, and mostly consistent in color and contrast - some of the darker scenes suffer though. The apparent lack of EE or DNR excites me most of all, however. It's as though the studio cared so little for these movies that they didn't even spend the money to ruin them. The only thing that would have been better would have been two separate BD-50s, commentaries, and extras. Oh well, I'd rather have this than Patton.
post #25 of 40 Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I've watched Ernest Goes To Jail thus far. It generally looked good. It did have one rather overt motion artifact at one point in the film. For $8, I'm impressed. I may watch Ernest Goes To Camp eventually....?

post #26 of 40 Old 04-13-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

I've watched Ernest Goes To Jail thus far. It generally looked good. It did have one rather overt motion artifact at one point in the film. For $8, I'm impressed. I may watch Ernest Goes To Camp eventually....?

I would probobly just watch The Goonies and call that good.
post #27 of 40 Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Upon closer examination, Jail suffers much more from noise/artifacts than I initially mentioned. Camp is clearly superior. I believe the difference is almost entirely due to filming (Camp is almost all outdoor daytime shots while Jail is almost all interior dark shots) and aspect ratio (Camp is scope while Jail is cropped 16x9... "zoomed in" if you will). These are still the best they've ever looked, but Jail disappoints me more than Camp.
post #28 of 40 Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

now available separately at walmart in a $5 bin with a bunch of other mill creek blurays including Ernest Scared Stupid

will report back on scared stupid once i get a chance to watch it
post #29 of 40 Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Hmm Its Ernest Scared Stupid is at walmart? Its not supposed to come out until August 23!
http://www.amazon.com/Ernest-Scared-...200424&sr=8-12

edit I see it listed as June 15 awesome!
post #30 of 40 Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

apparently it's a temporary walmart exclusive

quick pic of the back

note: the other movie i got from the $5 bin was an innocent man which also states 2.0 DD but is actually DTS-HD MA i'll report back tomorrow after i get a chance to watch it if this is a similar situation
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page