Pulp Fiction - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Whites are blown out in my viewing, but not so much to be more than a minor distraction - seems most distracting when it's on a face. Otherwise, found the PQ overall to be pretty good. Good purchase, and killing my old DVD copy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

Whites are blown out in my viewing, but not so much to be more than a minor distraction - seems most distracting when it's on a face. Otherwise, found the PQ overall to be pretty good.

+1
I don't for a second regret buying this BD.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I urge you to burn your $3.99 (damn the expense, right) and watch your Pulp Fiction BD. I think you will be glad you did. As reflected by many posts on the last couple of pages of this thread, most posters who bought the BD continued to love this classic film, despite some minor quibbles about its PQ. It will be the best $3.99 you ever spend, trust me on this.

Yeah, for that price, it's definitely worth a buy. I was one of the first to complain here about the overly contrasty, "hot" image quality but it's acceptable viewing by turning the color saturation down a bit.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I urge you to burn your $3.99 (damn the expense, right) and watch your Pulp Fiction BD. I think you will be glad you did. As reflected by many posts on the last couple of pages of this thread, most posters who bought the BD continued to love this classic film, despite some minor quibbles about its PQ. It will be the best $3.99 you ever spend, trust me on this.

I opened and watched it. It's so clear I can easily see the bloopers - e.g., when Vince opens the attache case, he dials 5.5 - 6 - 6 instead of 6 - 6 - 6; he doesn't fully roll down the first 6 before opening the attache case; when Vince picks up Mia at home, she's wearing bright red lipstick, but when they get to Jack Rabbit Slim's, her lipstick is a subdued red.

Yes, the PQ is quite nice.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

I opened and watched it. It's so clear I can easily see the bloopers - e.g., when Vince opens the attache case, he dials 5.5 - 6 - 6 instead of 6 - 6 - 6; he doesn't fully roll down the first 6 before opening the attache case; when Vince picks up Mia at home, she's wearing bright red lipstick, but when they get to Jack Rabbit Slim's, her lipstick is a subdued red.

Yes, the PQ is quite nice.

Pleased you enjoyed your copy of the Pulp Fiction BD. I watched mine right after I got it and then lent it to my college student grandson. Just as soon as I get it back from him, I plan to see it again.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
$6.99 at Costco for any laggards out there who haven't acquired a copy.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after purchasing the Panorama HK, the Polish, and the U.S. versions, I've determined that the Panorama HK
easily has the best looking presentation. To me, it was no contest. The U.S. version has an orangy/contrasty
look, and I couldn't abide the green tint of the Polish version. As for the audio, the U.S. Lionsgate DTS-HD MA
wins hands down. So I whipped out tsMuxeR and...

muxed them together!

HK video and U.S. audio. Comes to 35.3GB so a BD50 is necessary, but worth it.
No more pitch problem or contrast problem. Best (to me) video and audio.
As a cool nerd bonus, you get the original theatrical Miramax logo/intro on the HK video
as opposed to the slightly longer sterile/digital cityscape home-video logo on the Lionsgate.

Note to those who want to try this at home:

Because of the logo length disparity, the audio must be shifted.
The U.S. audio needs to start 2.33 seconds earlier to match the HK video.
In tsMuxeR, set the audio delay to -2330.
That's negative 2330, which is not a delay at all; it's the exact opposite.

This is, of course, all perfectly legal if you OWN your Blu-rays.
Hell, for purchasing three Pulp Fiction BR's like I did, QT should come over
for a beer and let me know if my solution meets with his approval!
Cheers!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 AM

The USA Miramax edition is the best. Is the only edition that use a new hd master supervised by Tarantino.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
lulz
Old 01-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent89 View Post

The USA Miramax edition is the best. Is the only edition that use a new hd master supervised by Tarantino.

*ahem*
Have you been reading this thread?
If so, perhaps you should read it again.
Also, you should probably actually view the other Blu-ray editions.
You might learn a thing or two about putting too much faith in a little sticker.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM

Well, as long as you've determined it.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentasm View Post

Well, as long as you've determined it.

Misplaced sarcasm? I don't get it.
I believe I made it crystal clear that I was contributing my opinion.
Perhaps you didn't catch that?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidsane View Post

...the Panorama HK easily has the best looking presentation.
To me, it was no contest.

...Best (to me) video and audio.

"English, m**********r, do you speak it?!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. I love this film.

It's all good, Mentasm.
Anyway, it's not like my determination is without merit.
Cheers!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Misplaced sarcasm? I don't get it.
I believe I made it crystal clear that I was contributing my opinion.
Perhaps you didn't catch that?:

"English, m**********r, do you speak it?!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. I love this film.

It's all good, Mentasm.
Anyway, it's not like my determination is without merit.
Cheers!

Feisty chap aren't you? I don't think it was misplaced, you were being more than a little condescending towards the previous poster when the assertion that the Panorama disc is the 'best' is, in your own words, just your opinion. There are positives and negatives to all releases of the film, and while I'm not a huge fan of the new boosting it's not as egregious as I'd been led to believe pre-release and the audio is correctly pitched, which is just as important to me. Not everyone want to buy three copies of a film and author their own definitive version (which, by the way, is illegal in some countries).

I think Jackie Brown was more adversely affected by the boosting than PF. I prefer the look of the Dutch BD, but the new disc has better compression, audio, extras etc. so it's better overall.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Feisty chap aren't you? I don't think it was misplaced, you were being more than a little condescending towards the previous poster when the assertion that the Panorama disc is the 'best' is, in your own words, just your opinion. There are positives and negatives to all releases of the film, and while I'm not a huge fan of the new boosting it's not as egregious as I'd been led to believe pre-release and the audio is correctly pitched, which is just as important to me. Not everyone want to buy three copies of a film and author their own definitive version (which, by the way, is illegal in some countries).

I think Jackie Brown was more adversely affected by the boosting than PF. I prefer the look of the Dutch BD, but the new disc has better compression, audio, extras etc. so it's better overall.

There was nothing even remotely condescending about Quidsane's post.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:

I saw both editions
The master used in the HK, FRA and PL edition, is old, and have a EE and less detail on high frequencies

See that: LINK
Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:

Feisty chap aren't you? I don't think it was misplaced, you were being more than a little condescending towards the previous poster when the assertion that the Panorama disc is the 'best' is, in your own words, just your opinion.

Quote:

There are positives and negatives to all releases of the film, and while I'm not a huge fan of the new boosting it's not as egregious as I'd been led to believe pre-release and the audio is correctly pitched, which is just as important to me.

Umm, yeah, the correctly-pitched audio on the U.S. Lionsgate is important to me as well-- that's why I used it to make my hybrid.

Quote:

Not everyone want to buy three copies of a film and author their own definitive version (which, by the way, is illegal in some countries)..

Who in the hell suggested that "everyone" do this?

It's not illegal in the U.S. to author your own version for personal use with sources you purchased.
I live in the U.S., so I don't concern myself with what is or is not illegal in Rhodesia or New Holland.

But, for the sake of completeness, please list the countries where this is illegal, if you would...

Quote:

I saw both editions
The master used in the HK, FRA and PL edition, is old, and have a EE and less detail on high frequencies

... and to my eyes, the U.S. Lionsgate loses in every one of those screenshots; the contrast is cranked and there is less detail.
A little over-enhancement (EE) is the lesser of the two evils here.
I see more detail in the HK than the U.S.
Agree to disagree...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Agreed with this, I viewed all 3 as well (Polish,u.s., french, which is the same as HK I believe), I found the usa master to be in the best shape, not without its faults, but the best of the bunch.

Of course everyone will feel different, everyone's eyes an opinions are different. I will say based on caps I also preferred the french but after watching them and comparing, i def felt the u.s. was the best.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post

I'm glad you're here to set the record straight. For clarification I was referring to this:

"Have you been reading this thread?
You might learn a thing or two about putting too much faith in a little sticker."

Nope, no condescension there...

Quote:

Umm, yeah, the correctly-pitched audio on the U.S. Lionsgate is important to me as well-- that's why I used it to make my hybrid.

Dude, you had to author your own disc to accomplish this, something that most people won't be able to do (See, I can used the rolleyes emoticon as well.)

Many people will just want the disc that offers the best overall experience, without buying three different versions, a BD burner/discs and the knowledge to combine the best bits (best being subjective anyway).

Quote:
Who in the hell suggested that "everyone" do this?

Captain literal to the rescue!

Quote:
It's not illegal in the U.S. to author your own version for personal use with sources you purchased.
I live in the U.S., so I don't concern myself with what is or is not illegal in Rhodesia or New Holland.

Spoken like a true American.

Quote:
But, for the sake of completeness, please list the countries where this is illegal, if you would...

Britain, for one. Feel free to Google for the rest
Old 01-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:

I'm glad you're here to set the record straight. For clarification I was referring to this:

You might learn a thing or two about putting too much faith in a little sticker."

Dude, you had to author your own disc to accomplish this, something that most people won't be able to do (See, I can used the rolleyes emoticon as well.)

Many people will just want the disc that offers the best overall experience, without buying three different versions, a BD burner/discs and the knowledge to combine the best bits (best being subjective anyway).

Britain, for one. Feel free to Google for the rest

Oh, ok. I do see how that post could perhaps be interpreted as condescending....to someone "extra-precious", that is. (While we're at it, let us also entirely disregard the context of his reply and the nature of what he was replying to, right? ) ...That little misunderstanding aside, I'm likewise glad you're here to set the record straight that Quidsane IS, in fact, a bloodthirsty totalitarian dictator DEMANDING that EVERYONE commence with the same custom Pulp Fiction mux-job THIS VERY INSTANT! ...Boy am I burnt out on the ol' eyeroll emoticon!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were released earlier this month by Warner in Japan. Anyone know if these would look any different?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were released earlier this month by Warner in Japan. Anyone know if these would look any different?

They appear to be the Lionsgate masters but with different encodes:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...-releases.html

Warner JP seems to have the rights to a lot of Lionsgate's North American Miramax catalogs. Makes me wonder if those also follow suit.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They appear to be the Lionsgate masters but with different encodes:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...-releases.html

Warner JP seems to have the rights to a lot of Lionsgate's North American Miramax catalogs. Makes me wonder if those also follow suit.

Thanks for the link. Seems to look more or less the same.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Oh... That condescension, hehe. My apologies.

Quote:

Yeah. Thus, the helpful tips... and the disclaimer: "Note to those who want to try this at home:

Quote:

This is just sour grapes. You used the word "everyone". I did not. Didn't even imply it.

Quote:

What's the relevance of this? If I lived in Costa Rica, I still wouldn't give two shites about what is or is not illegal in (insert your country here).

Quote:

I'm likewise glad you're here to set the record straight that Quidsane IS, in fact, a bloodthirsty totalitarian dictator DEMANDING that EVERYONE commence with the same custom Pulp Fiction mux-job THIS VERY INSTANT!

Mom?