AVS Forum banner

The Ten Commandments - Blu-Ray Screencaps

45K views 332 replies 79 participants last post by  Milt99 
#1 ·
See the bottom spoiler tag, screenshots are now corrected and accurate.

See post lower down:
Quote:
Eric - good catch, I installed a new video card about a week ago and haven't reset my options in CCC. I've redone a large number of screenshots using Haali and have also turned the options off in CCC. This was a stupid mistake on my part everyone - I apologize.

I'm normally very careful to disable all these "negative settings" on my machine to take screencaps - the issue in this case was that I forgot installing the new card would reset them all, I apologize profusely to all affected - this was something that simply slipped by me and I should have thought to check it. My thanks to Eric for noticing.

If you'd like a rar/zip of all the images please PM me and I'll happily provide it.

My apologies to Paramount over the misleading screen captures, and to all those who cancelled pre-orders. This was a setting that I missed. Lesson learned: don't take video card replacements lightly. Thanks to all for your patience and understanding.

New images, Haali renderer, Video Card options disabled. PNG format.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

See less See more
#4 ·
Um... where's the grain? Everything looks too smooth. I don't want to jump the gun, but this looks suspicious.

Potential reasons:

1. JPG compression has eliminated all grain

2. The grain is so fine as to be invisible

3. Lowry did this

I look forward to seeing PNGs. Thanks for posting these!

#7 ·
OMG. Everything is blurry!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/20129712

I guess this is because everyone complained about all that horrible Vistavision grain in White Christmas...

i'm speechless
what's the point of a 6K scan if you're going going to wipe out the detail?

I'm hoping there is something wrong with these jpegs....surely it can't be THAT bad. This is a bad joke.

#10 ·
#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger /forum/post/20129624

Um... where's the grain? Everything looks too smooth. I don't want to jump the gun, but this looks suspicious.

Potential reasons:

3. Lowry did this

I was about to say the same thing. Maybe it was filmed with 70mm-film, hence the grain-less pictures? Hmm...

#16 ·
I can say that seeing it on my PJ is no more complimentary - some scenes are certainly worse than others, but on the whole this is a massive disappointment.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap /forum/post/20129755

I was about to say the same thing. Maybe it was filmed with 70mm-film, hence the grain-less pictures? Hmm...

This was shot in Vistavision, which runs the 35mm film sideways and uses twice as much negative (same as what everyone used in the 35mm photography days).

70mm film provides grain-free pictures, but with fantastic detail and texture:
http://media.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray...hot-lrg-27.png

there's little detail or texture to speak of here.

#20 ·
It looks like a cartoon now. I thought Dreamworks Already did Prince of Egypt? Wow. Reminds me of a Scanner Darkly. Damn shame! I ordered the edition with the Commandments set. I just canceled my pre order at A mazon. Under reason, I put "This has an atrocious & shameful image quality, for a blu ray of this movie."
.......I might buy it when it hits $6.99 or less......with a strong disgust...Damn I was really looking forward to this blu ray.

#22 ·
Just got back from a quick 5 minute watch - overall, i'm extremely disappointed. This is the worst possible result I could have imagined from a 6k scan.

#23 ·
LOL. I just caught myself thinking of Moses yelling with one fist in the air, "You dirty apes!"

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger

Potential reasons:

3. Lowry did this

I agree, this looks far too absurd to be real. Nevermind I've lost all hope, this is just disgusting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.