post #121 of 129 Old 05-10-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

I liked the movie. It was nice of them to combine tradition a Disney musical with the humour of today's CGI animated movies. However, the music was disappointing, except for the song at the ruffian's bar.

The audio was sub-par. My biggest gripe was the center. It sounded closed in and too quiet.

I agree, the SQ threw me for a loop... soundstage just sounded small and like you said closed in. The LFE was good but I really wanted a more vibrant audio track to match the vibrant PQ. I thought the music was decent at first but it has really grown on me. My daughter has been watching this every weekend so I've really been enjoying the music more, especially the opening track and the I Had A Dream. Fun music and you can really hear Alan Menken's direction with the vocal voicing, almost reminds me of Little Mermaid with the whispering wind up and punching higher notes on certain words... good stuff. I wish the extra content would have shown some footage of recording the songs. I've enjoyed that in the past on classic Disney films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

The animators definitely put some care into this. Take a close look at the scene where baby Rapunzel is looking up at the mobile above her basinet... there are little references to things that appear later in the film.

The sun in the center, of course, but around the edges: a chameleon, a white horse, a cherub with a bow & arrow (like the old man at the pub), and a duck (reference to the Snuggly Duckling). The last icon, a bluebird, may be a nod to a French variant of the Rapunzel story called "The Blue Bird".

Good catch! I remember seeing the chameleon but not the others. I agree and hope that Disney continues to release more like this, I'm really glad to see music making a comeback to their animated films.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to revive an old thread, but my family and I just stumbled upon this movie as a gift this last Christmas. I was blown away. It reminded so much of when i was little and watched Beauty and the Beast, or Little Mermaid. Filled to the brim with Disney fairy-tail-ness. smile.gif Anyone who may have misssed it, check it out. Really fun movie.
post #123 of 129 Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Yeah it's a great movie. I have no problem at all recommending it to anyone who's a fan of animation or fairy tales. It's not at all a "girly" Disney movie like I thought it was going to be at first. Definitely glad I bought it.
post #124 of 129 Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I definitely did not expect to like it, because of its obvious tween girl pitch. Surprisingly good writing, design, and animation.
post #125 of 129 Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

I definitely did not expect to like it, because of its obvious tween girl pitch. Surprisingly good writing, design, and animation.

Much better than "Brave," which I found to be way overrated and more in line with weaker fare like "Brother Bear," "Treasure Planet," and "Atlantis." Who'd a thunk it? Lowly Disney Animation Studios one-up's the mighty PIXAR!!

After "Cars 2" and "Brave," I hope this doesn't mean a downward spiral for PIXAR. They seem to have gone sequel crazy. Lasseter losing his deft touch?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #126 of 129 Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Much better than "Brave," which I found to be way overrated and more in line with weaker fare like "Brother Bear," "Treasure Planet," and "Atlantis." Who'd a thunk it? Lowly Disney Animation Studios one-up's the mighty PIXAR!!

After "Cars 2" and "Brave," I hope this doesn't mean a downward spiral for PIXAR. They seem to have gone sequel crazy. Lasseter losing his deft touch?

I worry about that too, and I agree, as much as it pains me, that Tangled is better than Brave. With Wall-E and Up, I could believe that Pixar had movie making down to a science, and at least knew how not to screw up.
post #127 of 129 Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

I worry about that too, and I agree, as much as it pains me, that Tangled is better than Brave. With Wall-E and Up, I could believe that Pixar had movie making down to a science, and at least knew how not to screw up.
Monsters 2 could really define the pattern or break it.

I would certainly like to see more Tangled like moves from Disney (not Pixar). There is a Disney magic that has been lost since probably Lion King or maybe Hunchback if you want to be generous, that is directly connected with good/evil fairytale and MUSIC! Even though Tangled was a bit light on music compared to some of the greats like Lion King, Aladdin, LM, etc. it had that Alan Menken magic. Kids love this, they are mezmorized by the music, they sing along, get the sing along books, etc. It is just a great part of the Disney magic that really needs to be ingrained in more of their animated films.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #128 of 129 Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I really enjoyed Tangled but the music was easily the weakest part for me. I could have done entirely without it.
post #129 of 129 Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I really enjoyed Tangled but the music was easily the weakest part for me. I could have done entirely without it.

Just like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail... the characters start to look wistful and lift their heads in joyful song ... the background music swells... and someone yells out: STOP THAT!! STOP THAT!!! STOP IT!!!!! THERE'LL BE NO SINGING HERE!!!!! And they immediately clam up. biggrin.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page