Peter Pan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I picked this up at Target for $15. Surprisingly none of the extras from the dvd are included and the Sony bluray release in Germany-France-Holland contains them all and is an extended version.

The Universal release is a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the film contains nothing short of excellent PQ. All of these scenes are non optical or non-effects shots and have a light layer of film grain and are exactly the way a catalog bluray should look. Now as soon as we get into the effects shots Universal goes crazy with the damn DNR! Any effects shot or opticals gets very soft (opticals typically decrease resolution slightly and increase film grain) and the layer of film grain present in the optical or effects shots disappears as happens when DNR is used heavily. I can understand you don't want the optical effects shots swimming in a layer of film grain like in some Harryhausen picture, but if DNR is used it should be to bring the grain level in the effects shots on par with the rest of the film so the grain level is consistent throughout and more importantly preserving as much detail as possible. Lowry did this exact approach with the Bond films although admittedly a bit too much DNR throughout.

As for the missing extras Universal is so good about including them and have been since they started with hddvd I never bothered to double check this before purchasing. Possibly Sony owns all the rights to the extras if they produced them and Universals rights to use them has expired since the initial dvd release in 2004. I would love to know if the Sony release uses the same master.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Liked: 10
Didn't know this had other distribution than Fox in other territories. Now we have this in Sweden but since distribution is by Svensk Filmindustri there is no way to tell which master they've used without purchasing it. Either way it is completely without extras so I'd rather look elsewhere so this certainly peeked my interest!

All the BDs whether Universal or Sony appear to be the extended version though, only the German acknowledges on the cover that it is not the theatrical cut of the film.

This is great as I get an opportunity to flip Universal the bird by not buying their product.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Really with me I would just love to see some of the screenshots from the 2008 Sony release to see if it has a superior transfer. Supposedly it is region free.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

The Universal release is a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the film contains nothing short of excellent PQ. All of these scenes are non optical or non-effects shots and have a light layer of film grain and are exactly the way a catalog bluray should look. Now as soon as we get into the effects shots Universal goes crazy with the damn DNR! Any effects shot or opticals gets very soft (opticals typically decrease resolution slightly and increase film grain) and the layer of film grain present in the optical or effects shots disappears as happens when DNR is used heavily. I can understand you don't want the optical effects shots swimming in a layer of film grain like in some Harryhausen picture, but if DNR is used it should be to bring the grain level in the effects shots on par with the rest of the film so the grain level is consistent throughout and more importantly preserving as much detail as possible. Lowry did this exact approach with the Bond films although admittedly a bit too much DNR throughout.

Did you see the film theatrically? I didn't, so I can't say for sure, but I'm not inclined to believe what we are seeing here is a curiously selective over use of DNR. The film's look is highly processed and stylized, and makes abundant use of CG and other computer enhancements. Does any modern film make use of old style, analog film composites ? That's when you would see the look of grain increasing. This is all digital.
Compared to certain scenes, I think we are seeing a relatively faithful translation of a highly processed and artificial looking source.

Overall it looked decent to me. The DVD was also quite soft in spots and on the whole this is a substantial increase because of the better color, deeper black levels and better resolution. I'm happy with my purchase (though extras would have been nice, they aren't essential to me).

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this take on the material. Great cast and production. Even the the lead, who I thought was a weak link the first viewing, I see now gives a nicely nuanced performances that I enjoyed more this time around. And Issacs is a blast. Good show deserving of more attention.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If it's region free, I'd be tempted to import from Europe just to see the extended cut - I didn't know the film had one. I've imported a couple Sony BDs from the UK, both were well done in terms of video, but I think they each included lossy DD audio. I haven't sampled a enough imports from Sony to form an opinion of their European product, though; anybody have more insight on their BD practices overseas? My guess would be that Sony's master might be newer than Universal's.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I'd be tempted to import from Europe just to see the extended cut - I didn't know the film had one.

All the BDs whether Universal or Sony is the extended cut of the film. It ran 107 minutes theatrically, the BDs are all 113 minutes.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 AM

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=13507

The Sony BDs are cut however... one headbutt is removed.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Why do they do this ALL the time?!? You either get the uncut film, or the extras.. not both!

It's Pan's Labyrinth all over again... Want a picture that hasn't been DNR'd? Ok. Want a lossless soundtrack? Sure. Want 'em both... NEVER!
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page