post #31 of 38 Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy View Post

The Wall Immersion Box Set will not include any Blu-rays. The album was never mixed in quadrophonic or 5.1, so the album will only be presented on stereo CD. The additional material includes the complete demo version on 2 CD's, The "Is There Anybody Out There?" live album, and a DVD of concert footage, a music video, and documentaries. No high-res version of the album. And it will be out in Feb. of 2012.

THE WALL concert footage was shot on 35mm film back in 1980 for possible inclusion in THE WALL film. It's a shame there won't be a Blu-ray since the 35mm concert material would surely benefit from it.

Vincent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Pereira View Post

THE WALL concert footage was shot on 35mm film back in 1980 for possible inclusion in THE WALL film. It's a shame there won't be a Blu-ray since the 35mm concert material would surely benefit from it.

Vincent

Well gee, I wonder who has the rights on that footage?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #33 of 38 Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Since Pink Floyd financed the film I'd guess them. Roger Waters even uses some of the footage in his new THE WALL tour during his performance of "Mother" when he sings a 'duet' of the song with himself from 30-plus years ago projected on the big circular screen.

Vincent
post #34 of 38 Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsuke View Post
Damn the Torpedoes is out already and has been well-received.

Thanks, bought the Blu-ray on Amazon...should be here soon!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #35 of 38 Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

When the disagreement between Roger Waters and the rest of the guys over the rights to the Pink Floyd name was resolved, one of the parts of the agreement was that Roger Waters got exclusive rights to all The Wall material that wasn't published. So he is the one sitting on The Wall concert footage.
It needs a lot of editing and restoring and Roger Waters hasn't "had the time/or interest" in doing anything about it yet.
Maybe he picks up interest when he starts to release live material from the current tour.
post #36 of 38 Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Roger Waters does indeed maintain rights to the live footage from the shows at Earl's Court in 1980. I believe both he and Alan Parker are in possession of the physical footage. Roger's explanation for it not being released in its entirety is the fact that it was shot with anamorphic lenses, just as the rest of the movie was. This, coupled with the fact that the band would not enhance the lighting of the live show to accommodate film cameras, made much of the footage dark and murky. It was deemed mostly unusable. Bits and pieces of the more acceptable-looking footage get released here and there as a document of what the show looked like as b-roll with interviews and documentaries, but I seriously doubt Roger will ever let the whole thing be released. Even the "Mother" footage that is being used on the current tour is taken from a single camera, monochromatic, and with artificial contrast highly boosted. It's a good effect for the show, but I wouldn't want to watch 2 hours of footage like that by itself.
post #37 of 38 Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy View Post

Roger Waters does indeed maintain rights to the live footage from the shows at Earl's Court in 1980. I believe both he and Alan Parker are in possession of the physical footage. Roger's explanation for it not being released in its entirety is the fact that it was shot with anamorphic lenses, just as the rest of the movie was. This, coupled with the fact that the band would not enhance the lighting of the live show to accommodate film cameras, made much of the footage dark and murky. It was deemed mostly unusable. Bits and pieces of the more acceptable-looking footage get released here and there as a document of what the show looked like as b-roll with interviews and documentaries, but I seriously doubt Roger will ever let the whole thing be released. Even the "Mother" footage that is being used on the current tour is taken from a single camera, monochromatic, and with artificial contrast highly boosted. It's a good effect for the show, but I wouldn't want to watch 2 hours of footage like that by itself.

I would think that with modern Digital Intermediate technology, they could pull a lot more detail out of the negatives than was possible via photochemical printing back in 1981. The footage of Roger singing 'Mother' was obviously manipulated for effect in the new THE WALL show.

Vincent
post #38 of 38 Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Has anyone heard if Sony / Waters / Parker (or whomever owns the rights) is considering releasing / remastering the 1980 original movie on BD?

Gman
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page