Ben-Hur BD UK 9/5/11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just pre-ordered "Ben-Hur" Blu-ray from "youknowwhere.uk" (That's not the real URL ... am I allowed to actually mention the vendor?). Don't know much about how the film exists on the disc(s) ... but the price was right ... alot less than what I've heard the US UCE with all the "stuff" will cost. And the artwork they're showing preserves the original gold/earthtones from the film's original release as opposed to the newer treatment with the added blue and green (good Lord, why did they screw with that?)

As we get closer to the release date of Sept. 5th, I'll keep in touch with it and cancel if it seems like a good idea.

Anyone know anything about this pending release? I've had good luck with a couple UK purchases in the past. It's Warner so I'm guessing the encode will be identical to the US release.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I would be so incredibly stoked if this is indeed a September release! At the same time, Citizen Kane seems like an ideal holiday candidate. 2009's schedule was Wizard of Oz in September, and Gone With the Wind in November, so I can definitely see this happening.

Chances are I'll just bite it and buy the US UCE though.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Do we know that the two will actually be different video wise ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Art

I don't know that. I'm assuming that the feature film will be the same encode ... but, as I've said, I really don't know for sure. As the ship date approaches, I'll bet there will be more info available ... and I'll base my decision to cancel or not on that.

I am not particularly interested in all the stuff in the UCE so, if this is the same feature film encode, it'll be just what I want.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Art

Warner UK/EU releases are always identical to the US release video wise, and audio wise. The do often add more language dubs & subtitles for the European audiences, but the English audio is the same. I don't like digibooks (or their pricing) and have bought several Warner UK versions in standard packaging for a much lower price, How the West was Won & Shawshank Redemption are two of them. I also have no use for Warner's box full of useless fluff collector editions and already pre-ordered the UK Ben Hur release to lock in the price.

luigionlsd mentioned Citizen Kane. There is a placeholder for it on Amazon UK, but that's a different story - Universal has released the DVD a couple times in the UK, so the UK release will likely be from Universal and different then the US Warner release.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Art

Based on previous UCE releases, WB has always used the same content disc for the feature (Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind), and just removed some or all of the bonus feature discs from the Amray case releases. It's pretty safe to assume it'll be the same encode and disc count for the feature itself (considering the length of this film) for this release.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I wish I went with a wider aspect ratio scope screen.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I wish I went with a wider aspect ratio scope screen.

I designed my screen for 2.76. Can't wait to get this puppy.

Thanks all for the confirmation info.

Hank Brown

Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Tempting, but I'll wait for the US UCE version.
I'm a BIG fan of the UCE's, as the collectable printed materials are always a treat.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Amazon US preorder is up, sans date: http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Hur-Annive...7576062&sr=1-1
Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Amazon has it listed now as the 6th of September for US release !

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

Old 06-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
9/6 is a Tuesday, so that fits... Preordered. I need to clear some room for these UCEs, though...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Looks likw Warner may do this one right.

Ben-Hur' Coming to Blu-ray Sept. 27
Quote:
20 Jun, 2011 By: Erik Gruenwedel
Warner Home Video's mammoth restoration project delays release a year after film's actual 50th anniversary

Film classic Ben-Hur, winner of 11 Oscars and starring Charlton Heston, is coming to Blu-ray Disc Sept. 27 as part of the Ben-Hur 50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition from Warner Home Video.

Directed by William Wyler, the 1959 gladiator epic underwent a $1 million restoration -- frame by frame from an 8k scan of the original 65 mm camera negative, making it the highest resolution restoration ever completed by Warner.

The meticulous process took longer than expected, but our primary goal was to deliver the finest quality presentation possible, and we have succeeded in doing just that, said Jeff Baker, EVP and GM, theatrical catalog with WHV.

The Ben-Hur 50th Anniversary UCE will be available for $64.99 SRP (three-disc Blu-ray), $49.92 SRP (five-disc DVD set) and $20.97 SRP (2-disc 50th Anniversary Edition DVD). Pre-book is Aug. 23.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Sounds impressive, though resolution aside, I've been kind of bummed with the color rendition on many restored films of this vintage; hopefully WB have figured out how to really squeeze those o-negs for color.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

8k scan of the original 65 mm camera negative

I can't wait!!!

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
On the press release there is no mention of any lossless sound format. Just 5.1 Dolby Digital. Hope this is just an oversight. It would be a shame if WB spent all this money on restoring the picture without improving the sound.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Ross View Post

On the press release there is no mention of any lossless sound format. Just 5.1 Dolby Digital. Hope this is just an oversight. It would be a shame if WB spent all this money on restoring the picture without improving the sound.

The UK product info only lists the various languages with no mention of the technical format. They don't even list an AR for the picture. But I can't imagine it won't be lossless. The tracks from this film seem to have been nicely preserved over the years and so the original material is there.

Hank Brown

Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconwell View Post

I designed my screen for 2.76.

Why?

Besides Ben-Hur, not many films were shot in Ultra-Panavision (AR: 2:76:1), unfortunately, so...

I have a 2:35:1 scope screen (12 foot wide) and is plenty big to video-project BH, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Karthoum, The Greatest Story Ever Told, et al, movies that were shot in the widest AR ever deviced.

Also, have seen the remastered DVD version, as well as three HD versions: from HDNet Movies, Cinemax, and a 1080i version on HD tape that a kind soul sent me from Europe.
All of these look majestic, finally giving this superb American film epic is well deserved due. And, just as important, WB finally got the correct AR (2:76:1) this time around, which wasn't the case with any previous widescreen video releases at all.

This is one of my most favorite movies of all time, so pre-ordered the 60th Anniversary issue from Amazon last week (and have it in just about every video format available); can't hardly wait to see it in glorious 1080p on Blu Ray through my 60" Pioneer Elite Pro-151 KURO plasma display (will have to do 'till a new 1080p OH projector is chosen)!...

-thts
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Sounds impressive, though resolution aside, I've been kind of bummed with the color rendition on many restored films of this vintage; hopefully WB have figured out how to really squeeze those o-negs for color.

Have you seen the latest WB DVD release? What about the available HD versions? They got it right this time around...both in terms of color rendition and correct aspect ratio. I don't believe the Blu Ray format version will proceed from "new" restored film elements; restoration was already done a few years ago.

As an aside...the latest DVD and HD versions of the restored Ben-Hur compares very nicely in all respects to 35mm IB Technicolor Road Show theatrical prints, which is as good as it gets short of viewing this glorious film epic in 70mm on a really big theater screen...

-thts
Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mr. Manrique -

Why? Because "Ben-Hur" is my favorite film. And I don't like looking at letterbox presentations.

Hank Brown

Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

I believe he was asking because there are almost no films in that aspect ratio.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Art

Right, I understood that. And if it wasn't my favorite film, the fact that there are so few UP releases would have lead me to ignore the format. For instance, I didn't put in a curved screen for Cinerama because there are no Cinerama films that I dearly love. But truly ... if "Ben-Hur" was the only 2.76 release ever, I'd still have done what I did.

Plus ... we shouldn't make too big a deal out of it. It didn't involve much extra effort or money. With CIH, all you have to do is have the physical room for it and then put in enough screen behind your masking system to accomodate the extra width. It's just a case of realizing what you'll need to do and then, becuase you want to, doing those things.

Hank Brown

Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Anybody heard anything about the silent version being in HD or SD?

I'm not a fan, but a SD presentation would be such a joke on the format and the silent movie aficionados. I hope Warner doesn't fall so low.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

Art

The interesting thing about anamorphic 65 mm is that historically only two movies that were shot in that format were ever released with contact printed 70mm prints that restored the original picture geometry when projected with a 1.25:1 attachment.
Several others were optically printed with a variable squeeze for cinerama theatres and others never shown wider than 2.35:1 but only Ben Hur and Mutiny on the Bounty were really printed for and projected onto ultrawide flat screens with a rougly 2.55 to 2.60.1 aspect ratio.

Oliver
Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

The interesting thing about anamorphic 65 mm is that historically only two movies that were shot in that format were ever released with contact printed 70mm prints that restored the original picture geometry when projected with a 1.25:1 attachment.
Several others were optically printed with a variable squeeze for cinerama theatres and others never shown wider than 2.35:1 but only Ben Hur and Mutiny on the Bounty were really printed for and projected onto ultrawide flat screens with a rougly 2.55 to 2.60.1 aspect ratio.

Oliver

Quite a few films were printed at full frame squeezed at 1.25. Only two were produced via Camera 65, with Raintree only being released in 35mm.

Via Ultra-Panavision prints were generally struck in both anamorphic as well as rectified.

Nice to see someone make note of 2.55, as that is the proper projection ratio for Ben-Hur. 2.76 merely allowed for some out of focus fluff to fill curved screens. AFAIK, it was never projected on a flat screen at anything wider than 2.55:1, which should be the Blu-ray release format.

RAH
Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hconwell View Post

Mr. Manrique -

Why? Because "Ben-Hur" is my favorite film. And I don't like looking at letterbox presentations.

...ummm...ok, enjoy!...

-thts
Old 06-22-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Art

Hi, Art...looooong time no see!

"ya got over 21,000 posts already? Wowee!...

-thts
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank J Manrique View Post

Hi, Art...looooong time no see!

"ya got over 21,000 posts already? Wowee!...

-thts

Yes, it has been very long my friend. The place has changed a lot from our old days. Glad to see you posting again !

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Oliver

Hi, Oliver! Is been a while since we last communicated. Have you a Blu Ray version of The Greatest Story Ever Told yet? Just got a copy in and it looks superb!

Thank you for your comments!

I too agree that BH (and others too) were theatrically exhibited with an AR around those figures; and Marty Hart, Curator of The American Widescreen Museum has said as much as well.
However, I believe that for the sake of video releases the aspect ratio of such films should be as close to the original intent--what the technology dictated--as possible. In that sense, WB's latest "restoration" effort (and don't really know whether they availed from Mr. Harris' color correction, etc., unmatched expertize or not, but should have!) of Ben-Hur is as good as it will get on video in the forseeable future.

Oliver, let's keep in touch!...

-thts
Old 06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it has been very long my friend. The place has changed a lot from our old days. Glad to see you posting again !

Art

Man, is exciting to see names like yours in this forum once again!

Say...are you still enjoying the second home theater room re-build...or has it changed again? What's your current FP? Inquiring minds wants to know!!!...

-thts