Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Real fans pre-ordered it immediately. Bad fans get to pay more.

I'm sure it will go down again, unless all retailers start to increase the prices.

Real fans know better than to purchase Universal disc's unseen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yes, we all fear a bad transfer. But it's Jurassic Park and I am buying no matter what.

PSN: PrankT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #273 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Yes, we all fear a bad transfer. But it's Jurassic Park and I am buying no matter what.

I have more than one copy of the dvds and HDTV versions, so I am in a position where I don't need to reward poor products.

I do hope they will be stunning, due to laser pacific but Universal are beyond incompetent
post #274 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

As an actual fan of the film I will not tolerate a substandard transfer.
post #275 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

As an actual fan of the film I will not tolerate a substandard transfer.

Amen
post #276 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
With laserpacific involved, and being a Speilburg title, I doubt that we'll see anything shy of an above-average tranfer. Hopefully even better. I pre-ordered mine on day 1 and have never even considered cancelling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #277 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
LaserPacific is doing a new transfer? Is that confirmed? I know there are some articles that mention the colorist over there worked on some digital masters for it, but that could've been long ago.

I'm troubled by the look of the recent trailers they've put out. If this looks like a low-rent HDTV affair... well, my respect for Paramount/Dreamworks is going to go way up, and any hope for Jaws looking great will go way down.
post #278 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Laser Pacific also was behind the transfer for Elf... The base transfer really doesn't mean anything if the studio still filters it.
post #279 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Laser Pacific also was behind the transfer for Elf... The base transfer really doesn't mean anything if the studio still filters it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that
post #280 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Real fans pre-ordered it immediately. Bad fans get to pay more.

I'm sure it will go down again, unless all retailers start to increase the prices.

Bad and stupid maybe.

It's available from Walmart right now for $50.

- it's never done!

post #281 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDeleteo View Post

No way I'm preordering this until I have evidence Universal hasn't botched the transfers. A true fan wouldn't reward Universal for their incompetence.

Please please PLEASE let Spielberg have final approval over the master discs!!!!!

Unfortunately, for some of us who just want the best picture of JP possible, we'll have to settle with this. I don't think boycotting this disc will make them reconsider their transfer efforts, unless they literally make zero sales.

I hear you about this, and in fact I was hoping that they would actually redo much of the CGI if possible. We don't always seem to get what we want, though.
post #282 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDeleteo View Post

Please please PLEASE let Spielberg have final approval over the master discs!!!!!

I've been of the understanding that this was always a requirement with Spielberg from a rights standpoint.

post #283 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
This set has $20-30 purchase written all over it come next year. I'll probably grab it then IF the transfers are decent.

post #284 of 1995 Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I hear you about this, and in fact I was hoping that they would actually redo much of the CGI if possible. We don't always seem to get what we want, though.

Why would they need to re-do any CGI?
post #285 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I think he's suffering from Lucas syndrome. It'll pass.
post #286 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Please please let this have a good transfer. Let's hope it doesn't end up looking like BTTF.
post #287 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
But aren't the dinos getting redone?

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #288 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Yeh well I remember back on 2007 before HD-DVD died, there was a Universal press conference in Japan or somewhere which said Jurassic Park trilogy was going to come out in 2008 or so on HD-DVD... so they probably did work on it back then - maybe even finishing the HD-DVD transfers.

If that's the case and there's the possibility those transfers were not very good (HDTV masters), hopefully they don't just use them for the Blu-rays. If the Blu-rays have VC-1 and questionable PQ I'll be suspicious

At least we know they've remixed the audio - but they did on Scarface too Yet that is VC-1 and using an old master...
post #289 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianlove41 View Post

But aren't the dinos getting redone?

http://m.movies.com/movie-news/phil-...star-wars/4324

Quote:

Movies.com: Us fans bitch and moan and gripe whenever George Lucas starts messing with Star Wars again, but is that something effects people who actually worked on the film feel? Are we the only ones who think he's a crazy person?

Phil Tippett: No, not really. At a certain point, even going back to Return of the Jedi at ILM...they had a little room where you could get chips and drinks and I was getting something. George and Richard Marquand, the director, came in and Richard was saying, "George, I don't totally get where we need to go with this picture." And George said, "Well, did you see Benji?" "No George, I didn't see Benji." "Well, what we're doing now is kind of like a cross between Benji and what we did on Empire Strikes Back."

So even then he was thinking about keeping his company alive and merchandising toys and stuff like that. It's really hard with franchises. It's really hard to keep things going. It's really hard to think of a third movie in a franchise that's better than the first two, ya know? Whoever it was, Pepsi Cola or whatever, paid him $3 billion to do the next three movies as long as he worked and directed it, so...

Movies.com: Was there ever any talk at Universal or with Spielberg of going back and making alterations to Jurassic Park or any of its sequels?

Tippett: No. No, no. But, for a while...I went down and had a meeting with Steven and Melissa Mathison to talk about doing a sequel to E.T. And we went down the road of all the things we could do and at one point Steven just said, "You know what? Just leave it alone. Just let it stand, let's not rake it over the coals."

Posted in the SW thread but fits here too
post #290 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Real fans know better than to purchase Universal disc's unseen

I think we'll be ok on at least the first two, given Spielberg's track record.
post #291 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

Why would they need to re-do any CGI?

Uhh, because CGI dated in 1993 is "outdated"?

Am I the only one who doesn't understand that?
post #292 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 02:56 PM

I don't feel that JP is outdated, not by a long shot. The whole movie is a perfect illusion. It'll hold up.
post #293 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Uhh, because CGI dated in 1993 is "outdated"?

So what? it doesn't need any "updating". The film is done and it's from 1993. While we're at it, Disney should update the first Tron as well, talk about outdated CGI...or...Terminator 2! Heck, T1000 looks pretty bad in 2011! ...all sarcasm aside, my point is when a movie's done, it's done. Should we add CGI to Metropolis to give it a more modern look?
post #294 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
For that matter, why not re-do Cameron's "stop-animated" Terminator skeleton from 1984? It's not OK for GL to "doctor" his films, but is for SS? JP is just fine as is.

edit: Morpheo beat me to it...

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #295 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

So what? it doesn't need any "updating". The film is done and it's from 1993. While we're at it, Disney should update the first Tron as well, talk about outdated CGI...or...Terminator 2! Heck, T1000 looks pretty bad in 2011! ...all sarcasm aside, my point is when a movie's done, it's done. Should we add CGI to Metropolis to give it a more modern look?

I greatly prefer early CGI, I think the stuff in T2 and JP are miles better than some of the stuff about now
post #296 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 PM

I agree with you. The CGI parts of JP looks better than the crap being done in movies today. And what is with this talk of updating classic films? Lucas has really started something...
post #297 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I suggest you go back to the stampede scene of this film. Where there are animatronics, we're good. Where there is CGI, it could use a facelift.

I'm not saying they should do it for every movie, I'm just saying that I thought this might be what was going to happen. Find the article where Spielberg said we'd be very pleased with what the Blu-ray will feature, and the many people who speculated it might be a redoing of some audio and video portions got me thinking.

If Spielberg wanted to update the visuals, that's his decision. If you guys are trying to stick to the "purist" idea of thinking that's how Spielberg envisioned he wanted this movie to look, I say this with all due respect... get your heads out of your asses for a second. If the technology allowed for the CGI to look better in 1993, he would have aimed for a better look.
post #298 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suggest you go back to the stampede scene of this film. Where there are animatronics, we're good. Where there is CGI, it could use a facelift.

I'm not saying they should do it for every movie, I'm just saying that I thought this might be what was going to happen. Find the article where Spielberg said we'd be very pleased with what the Blu-ray will feature, and the many people who speculated it might be a redoing of some audio and video portions got me thinking.

If Spielberg wanted to update the visuals, that's his decision. If you guys are trying to stick to the "purist" idea of thinking that's how Spielberg envisioned he wanted this movie to look, I say this with all due respect... get your heads out of your asses for a second. If the technology allowed for the CGI to look better in 1993, he would have aimed for a better look.
Speilberg, like George Lucas or any other filmmaker for that matter, is indeed free to do as he pleases with his works. However, Jurassic Park (like Star Wars) is an important piece of motion picture history. Many here would like to see the movie as it existed when it made history. I don't think too many people are saying that he wouldn't have used "better" CGI if it had been possible. If better CG was available, I'm sure he would have used it. But it wasn't, and he didn't. Just as filmmakers in the past might have used grain-free 4k digital cameras if they had been around in decades past. But they weren't, and they didn't.

One of my favorite childhood memories was going to see Jurassic Park in theaters for my fifth birthday. I still watch it and enjoy it immensely for what it is. I'd rather not see it get changed to appease people who don't.

And I'm not trying to come across as snappy, just trying to elaborate on what I believe a lot of people are relating.

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
post #299 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The point I merely tried to make was that there are places where I'm sure Spielberg looks back and says, "I wish that could have been improved on, but I was limited then."

Do you think that, because the 1993 version in theater was spotty with "cigarette burns" in the corner every so often, it should look like that here?

I'm not someone who is for CGI and all that stuff, I'm just saying that where it was used in this film back when, it could certainly help out now. He said himself we were going to be surprised with what he was going to do this this release, so if it's not improved CGI, what do you think he's doing that's so great?
post #300 of 1995 Old 09-03-2011, 09:23 PM

I don't think the models themselves should be entirely replaced. However, some seamless retexturing work on some of the dinosaur skins could work.

A few days ago Jurassic Park was airing on tv and my mom commented on how fake looking the raptors in the kitchen now look...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page