AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Where are those BTTF shots from?

I know it's a bit off topic but I'd like to know as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1995 Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reviwer does not seem to know what DNR is...
post #723 of 1995 Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The most dissapointing releases of the year, Jurassic Park, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings!
post #724 of 1995 Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

The most dissapointing releases of the year, Jurassic Park, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings!

Jurassic Park is the only true disappointment as it covers all 3 discs...the other movies don't span across all movies and have closer to reference audio/video...the Star Wars Blu-ray audio is stunning througout...the pod race scene and battle over Coruscant (Episode 3) can't possibly sound any better

LOTR is fine for the most part after FOTR
post #725 of 1995 Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Were on AVS...anything short of a new 4k/8k scan is considered a disappointment. Makes me wonder how people survived through DVDs.
post #726 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi View Post

Were on AVS...anything short of a new 4k/8k scan is considered a disappointment. Makes me wonder how people survived through DVDs.

Smaller screens. And of course the fact that nobody expected a disc to look better then the top of the line discs that actually existed.

And then there was superbit...

I want my grain region free.
post #727 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

i knew i had a reason for waiting for the preorder... looks like even Spielberg couldn't keep the circus monkeys running Universal from flinging another turd

i'll do the same for these that i did for BTTF... wait for $25... then curse myself when it drops to $15 a week later
post #728 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

i knew i had a reason for waiting for the preorder... looks like even Spielberg couldn't keep the circus monkeys running Universal from flinging another turd

If Ridley Scott cold get them to remaster Gladiator, im sure Spielberg could get them to remaster Jurassic Park.

post #729 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 05:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

If Ridley Scott cold get them to remaster Gladiator, im sure Spielberg could get them to remaster Jurassic Park.

Except these aren't anywhere near the level of Gladiator bad. They're not brilliant, but they stayed the DNR they're so fond of butchering releases with, so clearly Spielberg had an influence somewhere.
post #730 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Aside from a couple of questionable EE shots, I still haven't seen anything that makes me think this release is bad. Yes, it's a shame that this blockbuster film series isn't getting the full treatment, but that doesn't automatically make it a travesty.

Forgive me for staying calm here, but every indication is that we're getting a powerful, lossless audio track and video quality that's closer to the source than ever seen on a home format. It's not Patton, it's not Gladiator, but it's also not reference quality.

Perhaps I missed the post where it was proven to be horrid? Please clue me in before my pre-order ships.
post #731 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Aside from a couple of questionable EE shots, I still haven't seen anything that makes me think this release is bad. Yes, it's a shame that this blockbuster film series isn't getting the full treatment, but that doesn't automatically make it a travesty.

Forgive me for staying calm here, but every indication is that we're getting a powerful, lossless audio track and video quality that's closer to the source than ever seen on a home format. It's not Patton, it's not Gladiator, but it's also not reference quality.

Perhaps I missed the post where it was proven to be horrid? Please clue me in before my pre-order ships.

Finally, some sanity.
post #732 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Finally, some sanity.

Sanity prevents invention. We wouldnt have had stuff like blue cheese and A-bombs if sanity ruled.

post #733 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Sanity prevents invention. We wouldnt have had stuff like blue cheese and A-bombs if sanity ruled.

My "issue" with this and most other similar threads is the "princess and the pea" aspect of many of the posters. Said another way, perfect seems to be the enemy of the really good and even .. great.
post #734 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Thats the problem. It should be for a movie like this. 5 years into the formats life and people are fine with just "good enough". Not me. I want the best the format has to offerer and this release is nowhere near the best.

home theater addict
post #735 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

My "issue" with this and most other similar threads is the "princess and the pea" aspect of many of the posters. Said another way, perfect seems to be the enemy of the really good and even .. great.

Don't burden yourself with the issues of crazy people.
post #736 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Thats the problem. It should be for a movie like this. 5 years into the formats life and people are fine with just "good enough". Not me. I want the best the format has to offerer and this release is nowhere near the best.

I completely understand, but the challenge is to find a better version of JP and get it. You can't because it doesn't exist. With BTTF, for example, all you have to do is download an HDTV rip to improve PQ.

Could JP look better with a new scan? Yeah, probably. Will we get it? Not likely. Why? Because we have nothing better to compare it to. In this case "good enough" is probably the best it will ever be.
post #737 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I haven't had the chance to look at part 2 or 3 yet but I've gotten a chance to look at the first film. I was a bit disappointed, but I think most of it stems from the special effects not holding up as well as I would have hoped. There is definitely some EE in the image, but not to the point of complete distraction. Fine object detail is quite good in close ups but the film's overall sharpness varies considerably from scene to scene (was the case with every version I've seen so far). Overall detail is better than I expected though. The CGI softens things up quite a bit and looks a bit murky at times. The soundtrack is still outstanding, though I don't know if I would give it a 5 at this point in the game. Great dynamics, but we've had quite a few films trump it over the years.

Overall I would give the first film a 3.5 for video at the most. But I would probably only give SW Episode 3 a 4 to 4.5. I thought it looked good, but could have been better.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #738 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Don't burden yourself with the issues of crazy people.

Thank you so much, but it is no burden at all. In fact, I find it entertaining.
post #739 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I haven't had the chance to look at part 2 or 3 yet but I've gotten a chance to look at the first film. I was a bit disappointed, but I think most of it stems from the special effects not holding up as well as I would have hoped. There is definitely some EE in the image, but not to the point of complete distraction. Fine object detail is quite good in close ups but the film's overall sharpness varies considerably from scene to scene (was the case with every version I've seen so far). Overall detail is better than I expected though. The CGI softens things up quite a bit and looks a bit murky at times. The soundtrack is still outstanding, though I don't know if I would give it a 5 at this point in the game. Great dynamics, but we've had quite a few films trump it over the years.

Thanks, Kris, for your contribution.

Do you think the special effects, if they had not all been redone, would have held up less well with a new scan?

Jeff
post #740 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
No. I definitely think these films (along with the SW films) would have benefitted from a rescan of the best element they could use. While the CG itself wouldn't have any increase in resolution from what they were rendered at, the rest would benefit.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #741 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

For titles of this magnitude yes they all should have been remastered in 4K. So basically Warner B grade Stallone titles that are $9 at Walmart get remastered but these titles don't WTF!

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ess=#vergleich
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ss=0#vergleich

See what I am saying?
post #742 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Wireless member

So, are you going to not purchase these and wait for the 4k scanned ones?
post #743 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

No. I definitely think these films (along with the SW films) would have benefitted from a rescan of the best element they could use. While the CG itself wouldn't have any increase in resolution from what they were rendered at, the rest would benefit.

Is it possible that the increased resolution everywhere else would have made the CGI elements draw undue attention and pull the viewer out of the moment?

I am only asking so that I can gain a greater understanding of what choices they might have faced in putting it together.

Jeff
post #744 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

I watched DVDs on a small TV. I watch blu-ray for a cinematic experience.
Obviously I don't expect super high quality transfers on everything. But for major movies like Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Back to the Future, etc... yes, that's a disappointment, because the studio has every reason to put out a very high quality product.
post #745 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Must say, studios and their lazy approach to the format is increasingly making it easier to save money. More cash for vinyl I guess...

TROLL 2 looks better than these...
post #746 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Is it possible that the increased resolution everywhere else would have made the CGI elements draw undue attention and pull the viewer out of the moment?

I am only asking so that I can gain a greater understanding of what choices they might have faced in putting it together.

Jeff

Have you ever seen the first season of Babylon 5 on DVD? It would be kinda like that with JP and LW if they left the effects shots untouched because the look would just be completely different. If you watch some of the older classics like The Ten Commandments, you can see a significant difference in clarity, coloring, and resolution between the VFX shots and non-VFX shots which would probably give you a clearer picture of what it would be like, even though there is obviously no CGI involved.
post #747 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:

For titles of this magnitude yes they all should have been remastered in 4K. So basically Warner B grade Stallone titles that are $9 at Walmart get remastered but these titles don't WTF!

See what I am saying?

Well we are talking about Universal the last big studio to start releasing blu-ray and the one Big studio with only a few catalogue titles I can count on my hand that have had new scans. Warner has been scanning almost everything at 4K this year and so has Sony and even Paramount has released a few new 4K scanned titles. Universal just doesn't even care apparently I mean look at this release in 2011 lol they upscaled the dvd instead of using the same master the Dtheater copy came from and even that would have been lazy.
post #748 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

blu-ray.com has their review up:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jurass.../24947/#Review

Quote:

Jeff

The amount of CG shots in Jurassic Park represent an extremely small percentage of the entire film, so even if the CG didn't hold up to a 4K scan, I'd still take it in a heartbeat as 99% of the film would benefit from it.
post #749 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Everyone keeps talking about how they'd buy the Blu-ray if it had a 4K scan. Is there any reason to believe these films will get a new scan? I'm not asking rhetorically, I really want to know.
post #750 of 1995 Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Everyone keeps talking about how they'd buy the Blu-ray if it had a 4K scan. Is there any reason to believe these films will get a new scan? I'm not asking rhetorically, I really want to know.

Yes... when red-ray and 4k TVs are commonplace.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page