Jurassic Park trilogy - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1995 Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Spielberg was the director of the first two films. While a director with as much clout as him would certainly be involved in the writing process, he didn't write the screenplays. Those credits go to Michael Crichton and David Koepp. The complaints and problems with the movies I'm reading could have very well originated in those scripts penned by Crichton and Koepp.

With that said, things often change from what was scripted to what was shot, and often change further from what was shot to what was edited together. I'm not doubting anyone's claims or dissing one's opinion, I'm just throwing out the idea that Spielberg isn't the only one to blame.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1995 Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo View Post

I doubt they would use a WC (writers cut) or reshoot since the deleted scenes were never shot, as is often the case.

Oh, I know it is way more than restoring things. Really, it is a pie-in-the-sky idea, but then again, there have been some remakes that were considered closer to their original books' stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Are you talking about the first movie or The Lost World? The Lost World is completely different than the book, but I don't recall the first movie being that much different from Crichton's novel. There were some cosmetic changes and a few things condensed, but I honestly don't think the book has enough content in it to stretch to a six-hour movie.

I was referring to the first movie and book; I have no use for The Lost World in either format beyond the one reading/viewing I gave each.

There is a huge amount of things left out of the movie that were in the book, it seems to me. Without giving too much away to those who might want to read it, I am thinking of the river trip, the mainland experiences (I think they were in the beginning), more of the scientific details such as the automatic- tracking system, etc.

Considering how much and how fantastic the whole idea was as written in Crichton's book, the movie is quite impressive for what it did accomplish. I am very much looking forward to seeing it again, in high-def this time.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #93 of 1995 Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

Oh, I know it is way more than restoring things. Really, it is a pie-in-the-sky idea, but then again, there have been some remakes that were considered closer to their original books' stories.

I was referring to the first movie and book; I have no use for The Lost World in either format beyond the one reading/viewing I gave each.

There is a huge amount of things left out of the movie that were in the book, it seems to me. Without giving too much away to those who might want to read it, I am thinking of the river trip, the mainland experiences (I think they were in the beginning), more of the scientific details such as the automatic- tracking system, etc.

Considering how much and how fantastic the whole idea was as written in Crichton's book, the movie is quite impressive for what it did accomplish. I am very much looking forward to seeing it again, in high-def this time.

Sure, a book is always original when there is a film. They are different types of entertainment.
post #94 of 1995 Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

Now, THIS is one change/re-edit/remake that I would LOVE to see. It should ideally be about six hours, so probably two or three parts like the last Harry Potter book-into-movie.

While JP is one of my favorite films as is, it could have so much better. Much of what bothered me about the film was Spielberg's political correctness. He more or less transformed all the women in the story into heroines while making the male heros nearly non-existent. Almost at every turn, his changes to the story seemed driven entirely by some PC agenda not found anywhere in the book.

Also, while dead lawyer jokes are funny and everything, I took most offense to him killing off Gennaro. He was a great character in the book... and my God, Muldoon!! I was looking forward to the scenes involving the Muldoon's rocket launcher and also Gennaro killing a Velociraptor with his bare hands.

Sadly, the likelihood of any studio granting an R-rated "true to the book" reboot of JP is very low.
post #95 of 1995 Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Sure, a book is always original when there is a film. They are different types of entertainment.

The reason ppl are pointing out that book is "original" is the fact that it's the predecessor to the film...meaning the "original" source (ie: based on) of the film is the book. It has nothing to do with being different types of entertainment.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #96 of 1995 Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Spielberg was the director of the first two films. While a director with as much clout as him would certainly be involved in the writing process, he didn't write the screenplays. Those credits go to Michael Crichton and David Koepp. The complaints and problems with the movies I'm reading could have very well originated in those scripts penned by Crichton and Koepp.

With that said, things often change from what was scripted to what was shot, and often change further from what was shot to what was edited together. I'm not doubting anyone's claims or dissing one's opinion, I'm just throwing out the idea that Spielberg isn't the only one to blame.

Spielberg isn't a director-for-hire who works off whatever script the studio gives him. He actively produces all of his own films, and shapes the direction of the screenplays by telling the writers what he wants in the scripts (e.g. "In this one, I want a scene where a little girl kicks a Velociraptor in the face, so put that in there"). If he didn't like something in the script, he'd have the writer change it for him. Everything that winds up on screen is his responsibility.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #97 of 1995 Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Spielberg isn't a director-for-hire who works off whatever script the studio gives him. He actively produces all of his own films, and shapes the direction of the screenplays by telling the writers what he wants in the scripts (e.g. "In this one, I want a scene where a little girl kicks a Velociraptor in the face, so put that in there"). If he didn't like something in the script, he'd have the writer change it for him. Everything that winds up on screen is his responsibility.

Yup.
That has been the case almost from the beginning.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #98 of 1995 Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
He didn't direct Twister, yet (as producer) the "tumbling house" was his idea.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #99 of 1995 Old 06-11-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Our home theater room has just three posters on the wall.

Jurassic Park Blu-ray will be a day one purchase for me.

Mark
post #100 of 1995 Old 06-11-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have that Star Wars poster

post #101 of 1995 Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Source please, or it never happened.

There's your source:

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/0...spielberg.html

post #102 of 1995 Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

There's your source:

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/0...spielberg.html

No. That story is dated this year. What I asked for was an old rumor, as in the one that was stated in the reply I was responding to.
post #103 of 1995 Old 06-17-2011, 05:33 PM

Fail.
post #104 of 1995 Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

No. That story is dated this year. What I asked for was an old rumor, as in the one that was stated in the reply I was responding to.

There were a couple reports complete with photos of the outside doors of the closed set replete with signs indicating "JP4" on Aint It Cool news a couple years ago that were attributed to at least some test footage being shot with live actors for the aborted sequel. As I'm too lazy to track down the actual article's link if it's archived on the site, you have my permission to say "it never happened."
post #105 of 1995 Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

There were a couple reports complete with photos of the outside doors of the closed set replete with signs indicating "JP4" on Aint It Cool news a couple years ago that were attributed to at least some test footage being shot with live actors for the aborted sequel. As I'm too lazy to track down the actual article's link if it's archived on the site, you have my permission to say "it never happened."

Photos?
post #106 of 1995 Old 06-18-2011, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what it is you want exactly. Nothing has yet been principally filmed, but JP4 has been on-again-off-again for at least several years. Big deal.

post #107 of 1995 Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:

Photos?

Google is your friend

http://www.moviefone.co.uk/2011/01/1...cretly-filmed/

post #108 of 1995 Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^Hmmmm, that's interesting...

Guess I was prescient in post# 62 after all.

Looks like the real deal.....or not:
http://www.moviefone.co.uk/2011/06/1...rassic-park-4/

post #109 of 1995 Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Our home theater room has just three posters on the wall.

Jurassic Park Blu-ray will be a day one purchase for me.

Mark

What did you use for frames?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #110 of 1995 Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

What did you use for frames?

I purchased dark grey aluminum frame sides in the appropriate lengths (they come 2 to a package) and screwed them together myself. I had the posters permanently mounted to foam core. I did not use glass or plexiglass, the posters are exposed to the air. But they are mounted in an area where no sunlight can ever fall directly on them so I wasn't worried about fading.

They've been up there for a good 15 years or so (other than to move them when we painted).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned either the framed DiscoVision 'The Jerk' laserdisc jacket, or the little framed sketch directly below it.

Mark
post #111 of 1995 Old 06-19-2011, 12:38 AM
jvc

This might sound strange, but I still have not seen nay of these films.
post #112 of 1995 Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDeleteo View Post

So is it theoretically possible Universal could be using old masters for this release? Or given the DVD masters were the same as the HDTV masters, and the DVDs were released over a decade ago, we can assume new transfers were done?

Anything is possible, but it is HIGHLY unlikely Universal would risk pi$$ing S.S. off.

post #113 of 1995 Old 06-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDeleteo View Post

So is it theoretically possible Universal could be using old masters for this release? Or given the DVD masters were the same as the HDTV masters, and the DVDs were released over a decade ago, we can assume new transfers were done?

Spielberg's been talking about JP on BD for at least 2 years, so hopefully this means they've been making a new 4K or 8K master of the films, like he's done with all his other action fare? Maybe even with a new DI.

I think what Spielberg is doing is what you already posted in the last paragraph. He wants the films he directed to look the best possible on Blu-ray and possibly any future disc formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Anything is possible, but it is HIGHLY unlikely Universal would risk pi$$ing S.S. off.

Universal and Spielberg are practically peas and carrots. The two Jurassic Park films, JAWS are his tentpole for the studio along with E.T. DUEL, The Sugarland Express, 1941 and some others are most like going to be released but the three major titles I figure have a greater priority.
post #114 of 1995 Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post

IUniversal and Spielberg are practically peas and carrots. The two Jurassic Park films, JAWS are his tentpole for the studio along with E.T. DUEL, The Sugarland Express, 1941 and some others are most like going to be released but the three major titles I figure have a greater priority.

Agreed.

Universal simply has TOO much at stake.

post #115 of 1995 Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 AM

It's just been confirmed - the Jurassic Park Trilogy is hitting Blu-ray on October 24 with two hours of new extras and DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound for all three films. I'm rushing off and don't have time to go through everything, but there's a story about it on the Home Cinema Choice website if you're interested.
post #116 of 1995 Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-rayFanBoy View Post

It's just been confirmed - the Jurassic Park Trilogy is hitting Blu-ray on October 24 with two hours of new extras and DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound for all three films. I'm rushing off and don't have time to go through everything, but there's a story about it on the Home Cinema Choice website if you're interested.

I got it, its on every site now

Quote:

Universal Pictures has confirmed that the Jurassic Park Trilogy will be coming to Blu-ray in the UK on October 24. One of the most eagerly anticipated releases for the format (as demonstrated by the write-in votes it received in our recent poll), the films will be available in three incarnations – the bog-standard Blu-ray Trilogy and Digital Copy (£50), a slightly more flash Limited Collector's Edition (£60) and an Ultimate Collector's Gift Set (£90) – and promises more than two hours of brand-new bonus material and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtracks!

Quote:

ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY and DVD
o "Return to Jurassic Park" - this six-part documentary features all-new interviews with many of the cast members from all three films, the filmmakers and Steven Spielberg.
o Dawn of a New Era
o Making Pre-history
o The Next Step in Evolution
o Finding The Lost World
o Something Survived
o The Third Adventure

ADDITIONAL FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY

* BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Centre through your Internet-connected player to watch exclusive content, the latest trailers, and more!
* MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the film.
* pocket BLU: The groundbreaking pocket BLU app uses iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android, PC and Mac to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray player. Plus iPad owners can enjoy a new, enhanced edition of pocket BLU made especially to take advantage of the tablet's larger screen and high resolution display. Consumers will be able to browse through a library of Blu-ray content and watch entertaining extras on-the-go in a way that's bigger and better than ever before. pocket BLU offers advanced features such as:
o ADVANCED REMOTE CONTROL: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live functions with ease.
o VIDEO TIMELINE: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
o MOBILE-TO-GO: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o BROWSE TITLES: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
o KEYBOARD: Entering data is fast and easy with your device's intuitive keyboard.

All extras from the dvd's

Quote:

The Making of Jurassic Park featurette
The Making of The Lost World: Jurassic Park featurette
The Making of Jurassic Park III featurette
Steven Spielberg Directs Jurassic Park featurette
Early Pre-Production Meetings
The World of Jurassic Park featurette
The Magic of Industrial Light & Magic featurette
Location Scouting
Phil Tippett Animatics: Raptors In The Kitchen featurette
The Jurassic Park Phenomenon: A Discussion with Author Michael Crichton featurette
Industrial Light & Magic and Jurassic Park: Before and After The Visual Effects featurette
Industrial Light & Magic and The Lost World: Jurassic Park Before & After featurette
The Industrial Light & Magic Press Reel
A Visit to Industrial Light & Magic featurette
Hurricane in Kauai featurette
Dinosaur Turntables featurette
The Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park III featurette
Montana: Finding New Dinosaurs featurette
Animatics: T-Rex Attack featurette
The Special Effects of Jurassic Park III featurette
The Sounds of Jurassic Park III featurette
The Art of Jurassic Park III featurette
Tour of Stan Winston Studio featurette
Feature Commentary on Jurassic Park III with Special Effects Team
Production Archives: Storyboards, Models, Photographs, Design Sketches, and Conceptual Drawings
Deleted Scenes
Theatrical Trailers

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/bl...tober-27-06-11

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6754

I have no faith in Universal at all at this point so its up to them to prove me wrong before I buy them
post #117 of 1995 Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Will only buy an individual release of the first film.
post #118 of 1995 Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
This is great news Jurassic Park finally coming to blu-ray disc later this year. It will be finally nice to see the films in 1080p HD and hear them in loss-less DTS HD Master Audio. I will be buying the trilogy package of course.
post #119 of 1995 Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Trailer:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800202853/video/25761170

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #120 of 1995 Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken
I am mobile right now, how does the 1080p version look
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page