Jurassic Park trilogy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Zonadvd is reporting details for the upcoming Jurassic Park boxed set. The import date is October 24th!

There will be a regular version, a steelcase and a boxed set! Pics below!

Zonadvd broke the story about the Superman boxed set so we'll probably get more info soon!

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?n...icle&sid=21256

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Yay and boo at the same time. Like the Matrix trilogy and Alien quad, I only want the good movies. I guess I'll rent day one and then wait to purchase the first JP flick alone like I did with Neo (Matrix I) and Ripley (Alien & Aliens).

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally some news about these. I hope it turns out to be true I really want to retire my DVDs
post #4 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Yay and boo at the same time. Like the Matrix trilogy and Alien quad, I only want the good movies. I guess I'll rent day one and then wait to purchase the first JP flick alone like I did with Neo (Matrix I) and Ripley (Alien & Aliens).

Same here. I will never buy JP2 or 3; there better be individual releases or else no money from me.
post #5 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Good news - it's Spielberg.
Bad news - it's Universal.

We'll see how the transfer comes out. At least we'll probably have lossless audio to look forward to!
post #6 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The pic on top of the BD Jurassic park "The Complete Trilogy" seems to be a fake as I've seen this cover before on a "custom DVD" cover I'm pretty sure that the box art will be different.

Regardless... October could not come sooner!!!! Want this set ASAP!!!
post #7 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Universal usually alters the artwork on their pre-release promotional material to make it look more "eye-catching" (larger text, etc.). The finished product will almost certainly look different.
post #8 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Same here. I will never buy JP2 or 3; there better be individual releases or else no money from me.

I just bought Alien and Aliens, months after that boxed set was released. I will wait until Jurassic Park (alone) is available and buy it then.

Jurassic Park 2 was mediocre enough that even the book was not very good, starting with the "oops" change in reality Michael Crichton had to include to make it match the first movie's changes from the original book. The original book left some great possibilities for a sequel, which is part of why the one we got is such a disappointment. I never even bothered to see Jurassic Park 3.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #9 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Excellent news. Count me as one who enjoyed all three movies and have no problem buying the box set (unless the transfer(s) are majorly screwed up by Universal). Seeing as Spielberg is director of the first two and likely has some involvement in how the transfers turn out, I feel fairly confident at least JP1 and 2 will be fine. Of course, the audio for the DTS laserdisc and I believe the DTS dvd's initial releases were missing the LFE so I guess anything's possible.
post #10 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Good news - it's Spielberg.
Bad news - it's Universal.

We'll see how the transfer comes out. At least we'll probably have lossless audio to look forward to!

Every Spielberg directed film on BD thus far look absolutely amazing, unfortunately that rule doesn't apply to Speilberg produced films (see BTTF films)
post #11 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Every Spielberg directed film on BD thus far look absolutely amazing, unfortunately that rule doesn't apply to Speilberg produced films (see BTTF films)

I agree with you, and I feel confident he will have final say over the transfers... but if I'm not mistaken, this is the first universal blu release with him as director...
post #12 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Only the first one for me.
post #13 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Not sure if I should be excited or not...

Hmm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #14 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 PM

I've been waiting for this trilogy for a longgggg time!!! Can't wait!
post #15 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I like the first and still throw on the DVD sometimes. It's a wildly uneven transfer. Some of the worst and most visible compression/grain artifacts I've seen. Yet some scenes like the night T-Rex attack and others look and sound amazing for DVD.

JP2 was such a misfire it's hard to get through it, despite some good set pieces.

Third one I should hate. It's got it's low-grade and cheesy elements. And yet I've found it to be a very re-watchable movie for some reason. Maybe because the picture quality of the DVD for the time was absolutely stunning. Should be amazing on Blu-Ray.

Rich H

post #16 of 1995 Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

It's good to read one of your posts again, Rich (for those of you who are newer to the forum, Rich's casual store viewing plasma commentaries were a staple back in the day!)

I agree that JP1 is by far the superior film. Unlike the last 2 Alien movies though, I never felt JP2 or JP3 were unwatchable, so I would likely by the whole set.

Go Duke !
post #17 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Although I will probably buy the Trilogy, the first is the real "gem."

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #18 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 03:40 AM

Liked: 50
Top pic is fake the box set looks real
post #19 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Great news! But just the first one for me thank you (I don't have a lot of room on my shelves...so no crap allowed, regardless of price, lol). The only question (other than PQ/AQ which is always a ? with Uni) is how long a wait. Some studios hang onto a big set FOREVER (Sony - Spiderman , Paramount - Shrek ) though it seems like most do bust them up fairly quick ala Pirates, Aliens, etc. Either way, I can wait. At least the ball is finally stomping!

|

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7
post #20 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll probably just buy the set. I'm a completionist like that.

The first one is a masterpiece, even though I thought it was significantly worse than the book. The other ones aren't so terrible that I don't enjoy them. I mean - DINOSAURS!! RAWR! Depends on how much they want for the set...
post #21 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

But if you wait a few months, you can get the box set about the same price as the singles as was the case with the Matrix and Alien box sets.

post #22 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gonna have to buy this. Yes, JP2 was a little bit of a let down with it's environmentalist stupidity, and continued Spielberg nonsense of shoehorning an energy robbing child into EVERY movie, but Goldblum is always a treat, and the late Pete Postelwaite always great.

The third movie is execrable in almost every way, from the obnoxiously bad Tea Leoni, another shoehorned kid (might be the least objectionable kid in the whole series), and really, really bad paleoscience. They traded advisors and ended up with a thoroughly unbelievable Spinosaur and ridiculous raptors. That movie just isn't good, and has the worst CGI of them all.

But as Nick said, it's got FRICKIN DINOSAURS!!!
post #23 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Didn't mind the first two films ( JP1 being excellent ), but I've only seen JP3 once, maybe twice in bits, not all the way through. I loved JP1 on laser disc but hardly ever watched it on DVD, the sound just didn't cut it. Hopefully the Blu Rays will bring back the magic.
post #24 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I like the first and still throw on the DVD sometimes. It's a wildly uneven transfer. Some of the worst and most visible compression/grain artifacts I've seen. Yet some scenes like the night T-Rex attack and others look and sound amazing for DVD.

JP2 was such a misfire it's hard to get through it, despite some good set pieces.

Third one I should hate. It's got it's low-grade and cheesy elements. And yet I've found it to be a very re-watchable movie for some reason. Maybe because the picture quality of the DVD for the time was absolutely stunning. Should be amazing on Blu-Ray.

You pretty much echo my thoughts.

I remember when the third movie came out on DVD - it was just stunning at the time on my SD CRT RPTV 61" hooked up to my Panasonic RV80 DVD player. Hopefully, this effect carries over on to Blu-ray. Some really good CGI and "atmosphere" in this one.

post #25 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

Didn't mind the first two films ( JP1 being excellent ), but I've only seen JP3 once, maybe twice in bits, not all the way through. I loved JP1 on laser disc but hardly ever watched it on DVD, the sound just didn't cut it. Hopefully the Blu Rays will bring back the magic.

Same here. The DVD sound made me not want to watch it after the glorious DTS Laserdisc.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #26 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Remember seeing the first one on release day and obviously the person running it didn't have a grasp on the then-new DTS, because it was FREAKING LOUD! LOL. Hope to semi-replicate that experience in my HT, if Universal comes through with a nice sound mix.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #27 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The Laser Disc for JP1 was my demo disc for years! Was awesome.
post #28 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

The Laser Disc for JP1 was my demo disc for years! Was awesome.

That disc is still my demo disc :P
post #29 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 AM

WoooooW!
I've been looking forward to this since I got into blu!My most beloved series cause I love DINOSAURS!Yaaaaaayyy

Anyway,got a question from people who owned the LD,cause I haven't seen it.What's different in terms of sound(I mean compared to DVD)that makes it so better than the the DVD version?
post #30 of 1995 Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord69 View Post

WoooooW!
I've been looking forward to this since I got into blu!My most beloved series cause I love DINOSAURS!Yaaaaaayyy

Anyway,got a question from people who owned the LD,cause I haven't seen it.What's different in terms of sound(I meand compared to dvd)that makes it so better than the dvd version?

There were complaints for both the soundtrack and the grain (lack thereof) for the LD.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page