Rango - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 109 Old 11-19-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I almost forgot about this movie. I've seen it a couple times at the drive-in and enjoyed it very much.

The thing that made me remember this title was looking up information about my Pioneer Blu-ray player. I found there's been two updates to it since I've updated it last.

Turns out, the reason for the latest update was to prevent freezing on the "Rango" Blu-ray. And that's when I thought I better update the player so I can enjoy "Rango!"

Reading through this thread, I can't understand why anyone would not like this movie. However there was one post that mentioned many reasons why they did not like the movie...I just have to say for the reasons he didn't like the movie are the same reasons I like the movie!

It's a little drawn out and a bit of a trip. Cool!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 11-20-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Let me guess....you like the desert/hot and he probably prefers the movie, ICE AGE

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #93 of 109 Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I didn't much like this movies in theaters but I do want to give it another go... I just hope it goes on sale soon. I'm not about to pay over $15 for a movie I'm not sure I'd watch more than once.
post #94 of 109 Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

I didn't much like this movies in theaters but I do want to give it another go... I just hope it goes on sale soon. I'm not about to pay over $15 for a movie I'm not sure I'd watch more than once.

12.99 at Best Buy this week. Soon enough for ya?
post #95 of 109 Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

It was a bit underwhelming for my family in the theater, but after many viewings, at home, we have come to appreciate the witty dialogue and nuances the film provides.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #96 of 109 Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

12.99 at Best Buy this week. Soon enough for ya?

Hrm... same price as Amazon, but BB would have free shipping (or at least it did when I made an order on Monday--for Rewards members anyways)... tempting. Might just make it a rental though. I don't know if this film has the potential to grow on me, but another viewing is a must.
post #97 of 109 Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Rats... I just bought it at Barnes Ignoble for 50% off 39.99 (plus 10%).

CW Hinkle
post #98 of 109 Old 11-23-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

It was a bit underwhelming for my family in the theater, but after many viewings, at home, we have come to appreciate the witty dialogue and nuances the film provides.

The PQ is reference as is the animation, imo.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #99 of 109 Old 11-23-2011, 04:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I remember watching this one and wondering if Rango was actually killed in the initial incident, and the rest of the movie was his "journey". Some things suggested it and some didn't. But I like to get drunk and over analyze.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #100 of 109 Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I remember watching this one and wondering if Rango was actually killed in the initial incident, and the rest of the movie was his "journey".

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #101 of 109 Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At the last moment, I decided to watch "Rango" instead of "West Side Story" on Blu-ray on Thanksgiving. Not having a copy of "Rango" on Blu-ray, via the internet, I reserved and picked up a copy of "Rango" at one of many Redbox locations in my area.

Being that it was Thanksgiving evening, I choose to rent from a Redbox that was outdoors rather than from a "inside" location since I had no idea if that business would be open on a Thanksgiving evening.

Having seen the movie at least two times at the drive-in, I was interested to see if there was something I would notice on the 3rd viewing I may have never seen on the first two viewings.

The first thing I noticed was how BRIGHT the picture is on my calibrated Pioneer Elite Kuro. The sharpness and detail was 2nd to non...even when compared to any other digitally animated features I own.

I could tell the Industrial Light & Magic team put a lot of work into this feature thinking of every detail. Color balance was right on...white is white and during many of the daylight scenes, there was a washout of color in many areas giving a very harsh environment effect except for the main character's clothing and other objects that normally would be colorful.

I feel fortunate to have the last generation Kuro made making for easy judgment of any Blu-ray titles. Most movies feel fine with the 60inch model I have, however I feel "Rango" with all it's fine detail can be better experienced only on a much bigger display or screen...regardless of the quality the equipment is capable of.

Normally I wouldn't say that, however there is a scene where "Rango" is trying to hide from a big flying bird and does his best to blend into the dirt. A scene from high above (the bird's view) shows Rango as a very tiny object who's only movement is rapidly changing colors along it's skin. The changing color is easy to spot, however if viewed on a much bigger screen, that scene would have had much more impact for me. Still, I was able to concern what was going on and give tons of credit to the creators who put all those details into the artwork.

Fun movie, excellent artwork, good story.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #102 of 109 Old 11-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I remember watching this one and wondering if Rango was actually killed in the initial incident, and the rest of the movie was his "journey". Some things suggested it and some didn't. But I like to get drunk and over analyze.

That's absolutely possible, and one of the reasons why I love Rango. It's fundamentally twisted, and pretty as it is, a bit like a Ralph Steadman illustration come to life. It's not for everyone, but it is for me.
post #103 of 109 Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I just picked this up last week - it definitely has a very different feel compared to your typical CGI animated film, and I kinda liked it for that reason. The main plot is fairly straightforward, but the presentation has a quirky bohemian/existentialist element to it, and I can understand why some people might be put off by it (especially the first 25-30 minutes).

No arguing with the PQ, however. Absolutely exquisite.
post #104 of 109 Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
the audio, imo, was amazing; the lossless track and the surround envelopment was to die for....LFE? well, it had enough to be appreciated

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #105 of 109 Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

I only had time to watch about half of this movie but I liked it much better the second time around. However, I was feeling really underwhelmed by the picture. I would worry that my settings have been screwed with or that I had popped in the DVD by mistake but the trailers before the film looked absolutely stellar (as animation usually does, particularly Dreamworks titles, as were on display), but when the film started it seemed ... noisy. And I swear I saw several instances of aliasing, to which I'm not very sensitive. Has anybody heard of random defective discs floating around? This wouldn't be the first time I've encountered a disc problem but haven't seen any reports online (Had an Akira disc that wouldn't play 192khz and my Sin City has dialogue hissing problems like the DVD was reported to have).

I'll go back and watch it again, hopefully I was drunk or something.
post #106 of 109 Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM

Liked: 23
Sorry for bumpin old thread, but last poster mentioned underwhelmed by the Blu Ray picture in Rango. I found 100% opposite. This is one of the finest digital films I've seen on Blu to date. There has to be something wrong with your settings? Stellar picture and reference audio. Can't believe I waited this long .
post #107 of 109 Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Sorry for bumpin old thread, but last poster mentioned underwhelmed by the Blu Ray picture in Rango. I found 100% opposite. This is one of the finest digital films I've seen on Blu to date. There has to be something wrong with your settings? Stellar picture and reference audio. Can't believe I waited this long .

I'm with you. Rango is one of the best looking discs that you could possibly own. If you see noise and banding, check your equipment.
post #108 of 109 Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Liked: 44
I love Rango like a fat kid loves chocolate cake, but Mrs. Sojodave doesn't love it so much. I love all the Clint Eastwood references.
post #109 of 109 Old 04-08-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The only thing I can think of is those cheap knockoff "Blu-rays" that are actually DVDs. Because this is, for sure, one of the best-looking Blu-ray movies I own, hands down.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page