AVS Forum banner

Rango

11K views 108 replies 47 participants last post by  Jedi2016 
#1 ·
Finally getting a chance to watch this tonight, ive been told its quite good.

#52 ·
There is some faint grain in the film, but I only noticed it on a handful of shots, when there was a very flat background (i.e. the sky). It's not really visible at all in most scenes where there's so much detail. The backlighting on my TV is slightly uneven (it's an older model), and that shows up a lot more on wide sky shots than the grain did.

I can't say I noticed any banding around the bars, but I wasn't really looking for it. It definitely wasn't distracting in any way, otherwise I would have noticed it.

#53 ·
Okay, video quality aside, what does everyone think about the actual movie? You know, that thing where they talk and act and all that goofy stuff that has nothing to do with counting the pixels on the screen 15 times during the show to make sure none of them disappeared.

Is the content worth a damn or does it warrant ignoring?

#54 ·
I liked it well enough to buy the movie yesterday. If you like westerns, it's worth a look. Rent it if you're not sure.

#55 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016
I liked it well enough to buy the movie yesterday. If you like westerns, it's worth a look. Rent it if you're not sure.
Thanks, Jedi. I actually ordered it from Amazon with the discount code but UPS has apparently lost it. After reading some reviews from members here I share a taste in movies with, I was thinking this was a blessing in disguise that was going to allow me to not have to pay for a mistaken blind buy.

#56 ·
Rango is the perfect movie for movie lovers. Verbinski saluted so many films in this movie its ridiculous, its fun just watching it trying to catch the movie references, like the ones to Chinatown, Apocalypse Now, The Man with No Name Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and many many more.

The film is freakin' genius, I loved it.

Anyone who seriously doesn't like it... well, I truly don't know what to say, all I could think is that, A) They hate westerns, B) They just don't like animated films.

Absolutely anyone who likes westerns and enjoys animated films, will love Rango.

#57 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1
Okay, video quality aside, what does everyone think about the actual movie? You know, that thing where they talk and act and all that goofy stuff that has nothing to do with counting the pixels on the screen 15 times during the show to make sure none of them disappeared.

Is the content worth a damn or does it warrant ignoring?
"Blind Buy" for me.

Very pleased!

The story is a trip (trippy).

In this vanilla world Hollywood lives in, how often can you say that?!?!

Too long & too many film references, tho (IMO).

The story (characters) could have stood on their own; w/o overly long chase scenes & relying on other movies lines/characters too stand out.

The art work is beyond words & out of this world.

"Toy Story" was cartoony realistic, "Bug's Life" was beautifully realistic, & "Walle" was gritty realistic. This takes it too a whole new level.

If you can afford it, this title (not transfer) should be supported for story & art alone!

#58 ·
Oh my, I did not see this one coming at all. I loved the lizard, the voice and the character created by Depp BUT this film did not speak to me at all. The story was kinda too mature and boring for an animation and I would be shocked if any kid 14 and under understood it or liked it. The other creatures in the film were just not very likeable, interesting or memorable at all and ugly.

The positive is that this BD may just be the nicest pixar ever created with the most incredible amount of detail and is just lovely on your big screen if you have front projection. I kept reading about the grain but honestly could not detect any at all, just crisp sharp colors with 3 dimensional image and yes 2.35:1 CR. What a shame I cannot watch it again like with up or How to train your dragon. I was weened on westerns like Bonanza, Wild wild west, Gunsmoke, the Lone ranger, Maverick so Im a fan but had a hard time with this material. I have no idea how some kid born in the 90's can follow this or enjoy it.

#59 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016
I can't say I noticed any banding around the bars, but I wasn't really looking for it. It definitely wasn't distracting in any way, otherwise I would have noticed it.
BIG time blk & wht digital debris for me; right off the bat (& thoughout/'cept in the darkest scenes).

[1 1/2x seating distance]

I was looking for it (or not) from previously reading this thread.

Plus, I'm super-sensitive too it; as previously posted.

However, I thought it was sooooo badd, I had a defective disc!

How can idiots let this stuff go out???

And where was it mentioned in the reviews?!?!

#60 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67
The positive is that this BD may just be the nicest pixar ever created with the most incredible amount of detail and is just lovely on your big screen if you have front projection.
Pixar had nothing to do with it. The animation was done by ILM.

#61 ·
Just finished watching Rango. I was happy with it but I had to change my blu-ray player from bitstream to PCM. On bitstream, I got a DTS Bomb about 7 minutes in. On PCM to the receiver, no problems at all. I've had this happen with rental discs, but this is now the only BD I own that has this problem. Annoying, but OK as I only paid 10 bucks for it at Best Buy using 2 coupons.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist /forum/post/20704176

Just finished watching Rango. I was happy with it but I had to change my blu-ray player from bitstream to PCM. On bitstream, I got a DTS Bomb about 7 minutes in. On PCM to the receiver, no problems at all. I've had this happen with rental discs, but this is now the only BD I own that has this problem. Annoying, but OK as I only paid 10 bucks for it at Best Buy using 2 coupons.

I had issues with the DTS bomb until I got my receiver's firmware updated. Not one single issue since. Rango played perfectly using DTS.

Mark

#63 ·
In terms of firmware, it's interesting that my BD player prompted me for an update when I turned it on to play this one. Coincidental timing, really.. I hadn't put the disc in yet, and LG only updates this thing around every six months, I highly doubt it was for this title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/20704021

BIG time blk & wht digital debris for me; right off the bat (& thoughout/'cept in the darkest scenes).

I just looked again, and you're right.. it's definitely there. But I had to stand about a foot in front of the TV to see it. From my normal sitting distance (around 9'), I can't see single-pixel details like that.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/20707056

I really loved the PQ of this disc. I'd call it demo worthy.

GREAT demo for encoding debris, including ringing around the 'extra' blk lines, & fake grain.

Or, too some posters: "reference!

============

LUV the art.

However, for transfer I'd put the old Pix flick (p.i.) "Bug's Life" ahead of it.

#71 ·
Do some people in here really refuse to buy a disc if its not 100% perfect?

I mean gimme a break, you wouldn't be buying ANYTHING then.

A title can have a flaw or two or three, and still be demo worthy, thats a fact that some nitpickers will never understand, yet there it is.

(I don't mean to discredit looking for flaws in an attempt to let people know whats on the disc, and to in some small way inform the studios so problems can be solved on future titles.... Not as if thats working really well.)

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 /forum/post/20708131

IA title can have a flaw or two or three, and still be demo worthy, thats a fact that some nitpickers will never understand, yet there it is.

You don't understand "demo quality" then.

It's the"best" too show off a system at its best.

If the demo is "flawed" the system will not be at its best.

Simple.

Your really proposing using flawed material too show off?!?!

Quote:

Do some people in here really refuse to buy a disc if its not 100% perfect?

Who posted they wouldn't buy anything that wasn't 100% perfect?
Quote:

I mean gimme a break, you wouldn't be buying ANYTHING then.

Not the case at all.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/20704021

I'm guessing its a personal issue, or an issue with your setup or disc.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 /forum/post/20708499

I'm guessing its a personal issue, or an issue with your setup or disc.

I was wondering the same thing. Since I have a CIH with an A-lens set up, I don't have letterboxing on this title, so I can verify the "bar" issue....but the overall image was outstanding. Like Monster House, the "added film grain" was not distracting on my set up from my viewing distance.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist /forum/post/20708711

I may have to do that. I think we have the same receiver (Pioneer VSX-94TXH) and that I've seen your posts regarding updating the firmware for it.

Yes, that's my receiver. But I'm bewildered by your earlier comments (message #61)... If you were/are already aware of the firmware issue with the 94TXH then why are you blaming the disc? You can make the DTS bomb problems go away completely by taking/sending your receiver for service and waiting about a week or so. And it shouldn't cost you anything (other than a shipping fee if you have to ship it).

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.