Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 284 Old 02-16-2012, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

Does anybody have a replacement disc from the film company yet?
If so, when did you receive it?
Happy with the results?

I'm just waiting...

I received my replacement copy from Fox yesterday (February 15). I had sent the original set by UPS on January 9; Fox received it from me on January 16.

I haven't watched it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 284 Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

I received my replacement copy from Fox yesterday (February 15). I had sent the original set by UPS on January 9; Fox received it from me on January 16.

I haven't watched it yet.

Got mine in KY yesterday as well. I've not checked it out either.

One interesting note: Since I bought the Target exclusive 3-disc DigiBook I sent back only the movie BD and DVD, keeping the Special Features disc and the book packaging. What I received in return was a sealed 3-disc set in slipcase.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #273 of 284 Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 PM
jvc

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Someone on HTF posted this link showing what the "fix" looks like;

http://youtu.be/qYkVlGUpmKE

IMO, while the intro has been "improved" on the replacement copy, it's far from "fixed". I'm not sure I'm going to go through the trouble of exchanging my copy.

Someone else posted this link. It's much closer to what the intro should look like, and what I expected from the fix:

http://youtu.be/90Xlb8HmkJ4

I have been wondering, was the fade to black a fix since the fade to green looks like a film issue?
post #274 of 284 Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 AM

I sent my single disk in on 1-17-12........that was the original instructions in the beginning.
Yesterday, I called Fox, and was told that I should have sent the whole disk set, so sense I only sent the one disc, the replacement had to be approved by upper management...it was approved, but will still take a couple of weeks until it will be sent out ..........not very happy with Fox, and there replacement program.....I should have just kept the original.
post #275 of 284 Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post

I have been wondering, was the fade to black a fix since the fade to green looks like a film issue?

They are BOTH transfer issues and MGM has been trying to put Band-Aids on them instead of actually going back to the NEGATIVE and fixing it. All that need be done is to pull a dye transfer print (of which there are several) and have somebody watch the damn thing. It's not brain surgery. The fade should not be there in any form with any other color save from dissolving from red to blue.
post #276 of 284 Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

They are BOTH transfer issues and MGM has been trying to put Band-Aids on them instead of actually going back to the NEGATIVE and fixing it. All that need be done is to pull a dye transfer print (of which there are several) and have somebody watch the damn thing. It's not brain surgery. The fade should not be there in any form with any other color save from dissolving from red to blue.

Honestly, they don't even need to do that much. This is a simple static image that dissolves from one color to the next. This could easily be corrected digitally by sampling one of the red frames and one of the blue frames, and creating a new dissolve. I feel like some enterprising kid could do this on a laptop in a half hour or so. I have no idea why a major studio can't figure it out.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #277 of 284 Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Honestly, they don't even need to do that much. This is a simple static image that dissolves from one color to the next. This could easily be corrected digitally by sampling one of the red frames and one of the blue frames, and creating a new dissolve. I feel like some enterprising kid could do this on a laptop in a half hour or so. I have no idea why a major studio can't figure it out.

This you're probably right about
post #278 of 284 Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I seldom chime in here, but that is the question of the decade.

RAH
post #279 of 284 Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

This could easily be corrected digitally by sampling one of the red frames and one of the blue frames, and creating a new dissolve.

Someone here should show us how to do this using Avisynth, like one fellow did to correct the green tint in the LOTR feature.
post #280 of 284 Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Someone here should show us how to do this using Avisynth, like one fellow did to correct the green tint in the LOTR feature.

Care to elaborate? I have so far not gotten around to watch the extended cut so I would prefer to have something closer to the previous color balance.
post #281 of 284 Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Care to elaborate? I have so far not gotten around to watch the extended cut so I would prefer to have something closer to the previous color balance.

You have to search in that thread which is still on Page 1 here.
post #282 of 284 Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I received my package today from Fox. I mailed the 2 discs (BD & DVD) from the Collector's Edition box set on January 11th. The instructions I was given from the CSR when I called to get my RMA was to send only the defective discs, not the entire box. Like others here, I received the entire sealed box set in return.
post #283 of 284 Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 AM

I too received my replacement discs after sending only the one defective discs on 1-17-12.
It arrived via UPS.
I noticed a different bar code on the new one....

Old one is #8390424523080
New one is #8390424523082

Everything else is the same packaging
I'm hoping to check it out in the next few days .
post #284 of 284 Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After reading this thread last November, I decided to order a copy. I watched the first 15 minutes or so to see what all the brouhaha was about.

A couple days ago, prompted by reading the discussions at HTF, I decided to watch the film. To my amazement, over a still image of presumably where I had stopped, a message was displayed asking if I wanted to RESUME or not. While my Sony 350 player could remember a few DVDs, usually Blu-ray discs will never resume even if the disc never left the player. To resume after months and many other discs!!! After starting the film from the beginning, it got late and I stopped at the intermission. And the next night, it offered to resume from that point!

While this Blu-ray version of the film is "flawed", I enjoyed WSS very much and thought that it looked very good. The extras were of considerable interest to me.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page