West Side Story: 50th Anniversary Edition - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 284 Old 10-29-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4oAcAOWF_A

A link to the fade out issue...if in fact this is what all the talk is about.

I'm actually more concerned about the shimmering issue. Hopefully, it will all get fixed.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 284 Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4oAcAOWF_A

A link to the fade out issue...if in fact this is what all the talk is about.

I'm actually more concerned about the shimmering issue. Hopefully, it will all get fixed.

Not so bad, I guess.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #153 of 284 Old 11-07-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was a little surprised the posts to this thread almost pretty much stopped since I shared the youtube link.

If that's what everyone is going nuts about, I'll live with it till the replacement comes out.

I can understand not fixing the opticals, however, I'm wondering if anyone knows if they will also fix the shimmering on the replacement?

Normally at this time, I'd be asking for screen shots. Though it looks like that's all been taken care of!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!

post #154 of 284 Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

I was a little surprised the posts to this thread almost pretty much stopped since I shared the youtube link.

If that's what everyone is going nuts about, I'll live with it till the replacement comes out.

+1

If this was the only issue, then I also can live with it.

Quote:

I can understand not fixing the opticals, however, I'm wondering if anyone knows if they will also fix the shimmering on the replacement?

It's these issues that have stopped me from purchasing yet. Admittedly, I haven't seen this release first hand, but I don't want to risk getting stuck with a version that has flaws that really bother me and take away from enjoying the movie.

post #155 of 284 Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I read where the shimmering had to do with going from the 8K scan to Blu-ray resolution.

If that's true, then I would think it would be a matter of being a little bit more carful (or a different setting with the equipment?) with the new downsizing.

post #156 of 284 Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just resizing will not cause shimmering in ANY way so that is bull.
post #157 of 284 Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Normally at this time, I'd be asking for screen shots. Though it looks like that's all been taken care of!

Why not fix the opticals? Why not fix all of the problems and do WSS right?
post #158 of 284 Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It shameful that they didn't use the 6 track soundtrack stems to work from, it shows that the higher the profile of the release the bigger the screw ups seem to be.,,

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #159 of 284 Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub24ox7 View Post

Just resizing will not cause shimmering in ANY way so that is bull.

I haven't seen the disc so I don't know what sort of shimmering but poor resizing 100% absolutely can cause shimmering! Resizing is not a simple matter, without properly filtering you get aliasing and if you get aliasing for moving frames then you sure can get shimmer, etc.
post #160 of 284 Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Well any decent resizing algorithm will not cause aliasing like spline or lanczos or even bicubic and Alisiasing or jaggies is much differnt from shimmering imo.
post #161 of 284 Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Ross View Post

Why not fix the opticals? Why not fix all of the problems and do WSS right?

Because a quick fix on the fade to black would not be all that hard (or costly) to fix.

Also, if the shimmering is caused by poor resizing, then that could simply be fixed with a more carful transfer from the digital master.

The opticals I'm afraid would mean much more detailed work and lots of money. Opticals usually look different than the rest of the move, however in this thread, there have been those who said they remember the movie during it's original showing where the opticals didn't look any different than the rest of the movie.

post #162 of 284 Old 11-12-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub24ox7 View Post

Well any decent resizing algorithm will not cause aliasing like spline or lanczos or even bicubic and Alisiasing or jaggies is much differnt from shimmering imo.

Well, theoretically, as well as practically, as you’ll soon see….when you play the clip, downsampling can indeed cause aliasing and as skibum5000 says above, “if you get aliasing for moving frames then you sure can get shimmer, etc”.

I’m not making excuses for this suboptimal appearance, but rather, noting that unless one is very careful, it is possible even for experienced post houses [which have access to all FIR-type Filters (Sinc, Mitchell and Lanczos, etc.) as well as Cubic-type Filters (BSpline, Cubic, Gaussian, etc.) for which I feel certain Light Iron does (http://lightirondigital.com/) ] for it to be possible for these type artifacts to occur.

Especially relevant to the notion of how easily this can happen, is that in this particular case, I think Red used this particular clip for a time as one of their showreels. If you look closely, I believe it is fairly easy to identify extensive aliasing artifacts (along with some slight shimmering or strobing, if you will) in the welder’s shirt which is secondary to downconverting the ‘4k’ material to HD….
http://red.cachefly.net/M-X-REEL.mov
^
And that’s from a company that prides itself on Picture Quality so, I can’t see this clip as having been produced in a cavalier fashion.

Still haven't seen West Side Story though, as I'm more of a Mutiny on the Bounty fan.
post #163 of 284 Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 PM
jvc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

That's actually not funny. Every person looks like a cutout.

Not the smooth look we should expect from film.

In thw words of the late Ike Turner - "what the problem is?"
post #164 of 284 Old 11-13-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

Well, theoretically, as well as practically, as you'll soon see.when you play the clip, downsampling can indeed cause aliasing and as skibum5000 says above, if you get aliasing for moving frames then you sure can get shimmer, etc.

I'm not making excuses for this suboptimal appearance, but rather, noting that unless one is very careful, it is possible even for experienced post houses [which have access to all FIR-type Filters (Sinc, Mitchell and Lanczos, etc.) as well as Cubic-type Filters (BSpline, Cubic, Gaussian, etc.) for which I feel certain Light Iron does (http://lightirondigital.com/) ] for it to be possible for these type artifacts to occur.

Especially relevant to the notion of how easily this can happen, is that in this particular case, I think Red used this particular clip for a time as one of their showreels. If you look closely, I believe it is fairly easy to identify extensive aliasing artifacts (along with some slight shimmering or strobing, if you will) in the welder's shirt which is secondary to downconverting the 4k' material to HD.
http://red.cachefly.net/M-X-REEL.mov
^
And that's from a company that prides itself on Picture Quality so, I can't see this clip as having been produced in a cavalier fashion.

Still haven't seen West Side Story though, as I'm more of a Mutiny on the Bounty fan.

Thanks for the link, is the demo reel also available in higher resolutions than 720p?

Not having seen West Side Story I will say that it should be mandatory to use little to no filtering when going down from higher resolutions for starters and then to go through the movie in question and look for scenes where selective filtering for that particular scene might be in order to avoid the artefacts mentioned. That way we would be getting the best of both worlds as obviously the results of the filtering and the subsequent sharpening in Baraka where not to everybodys liking either, certainly not to mine!

Also a big fan of the might Ultra Panavision 70 Mutiny on the Bounty By looking at this and other forums it seems that Warner would be right in assuming that there is little interest in this title and therefore could feel justified for spending very little money on the Blu-Ray release. They just released it under the radar and did not even wait for the 50th anniversary!
post #165 of 284 Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My calendar says I should be getting this tomorrow.

post #166 of 284 Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

My calendar says I should be getting this tomorrow.

Tomorrow is release day, isn't it?
post #167 of 284 Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snigggles View Post

Tomorrow is release day, isn't it?

I think so. Usually I see these movies on my door step (or mailbox) on the release day.

post #168 of 284 Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I read where the shimmering had to do with going from the 8K scan to Blu-ray resolution.

If that's true, then I would think it would be a matter of being a little bit more carful (or a different setting with the equipment?) with the new downsizing.

WSS was not an 8k scan.

RAH
post #169 of 284 Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM

The master of WWS is 4k. I read this in a article about FotoKem.
post #170 of 284 Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Were there alot of color filters used in this film or is it faded source material?
post #171 of 284 Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

I will say that it should be mandatory to use little to no filtering when going down from higher resolutions for starters and then to go through the movie in question and look for scenes where selective filtering for that particular scene might be in order to avoid the artefacts mentioned. That way we would be getting the best of both worlds as obviously the results of the filtering and the subsequent sharpening in Baraka where not to everybodys liking either, certainly not to mine!

No, filtering is absolutely mandatory when down sampling otherwise you get an utter mess, it's bad enough for stills but 100x for movies. So using little to no filtering would be a horror story when going from say an 8k or 4k scan to 1920x1080. BTW, don't confuse the term filtering with digital noise reduction and making everyone look like waxface.

An ideal down sample is a tricky thing, usually a complicated filter combined with very modest sharpening at the right stage. Each combination has trade offs. I forgot offhand the full name of my favorite. I'm about to use it again in a still viewer and can post back in a bit.

But again, don't confuse the term filtering with DNR. People on this forum way too often go on about heaving filtering, which is very vague and could mean a ton of different things, when they are usually talking specifically about heavy DNR.

All that said, I haven't seen this yet, so I have no idea what the shimmering is, it could be from something else, who knows what, although poor downscaling can certainly cause it and is a common cause.
post #172 of 284 Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I've had my copy here for a while and I probably wont get a chance to watch it till Thanksgiving. So if anyone has their copy and has seen it, let us know!

post #173 of 284 Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Thanks for the link, is the demo reel also available in higher resolutions than 720p?

Have not seen a >= 1080p version so far.
post #174 of 284 Old 11-18-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Have not seen a >= 1080p version so far.

Too bad, it is very clear that 720p is not sufficient to display video with that amount of detail.
post #175 of 284 Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the Target exclusive Digibook...

post #176 of 284 Old 11-19-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 285
FWIW, Fry's has this for $12.99

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #177 of 284 Old 11-19-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Detectives are currently going over some "new" information concerning Natalie Woods' drowning back in 1981. Man, what some studios won't do to boost sales (and yes, there's a man on the grassy knoll, too.)

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #178 of 284 Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm getting the impression not too many people bought into this title like they did with "Ten Commandments" and "Ben Hur" or even "Sounds Like Music" simply because AFTER the Blu-rays were released, there were lots of posts about the quality and many comments about what was right or wrong about the quality of the transfer.

I simply don't see the same kind of action going on with WWS.

post #179 of 284 Old 11-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm watching this right now, about 45 minutes in. I have noticed hardly any shimmering/moire issues. Those of you who have reported these problems, can you make sure that your BD players are set to output 1080/24p and your monitors are set to 1:1 pixel mapping and report back?
post #180 of 284 Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

I have noticed hardly any shimmering/moire issues.

Hardly or none?

If "Hardly," does it take away from the movie itself?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page