Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Quote:

1080P 2.20:1 Widescreen
English 7.1 DTS-HD MA
Spanish DD2.0
French and German 5.1 DTS Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Dutch, Portuguese, German, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Chinese (Mandarin)
ALL-NEW: Pow! The Dances of West Side Story - cast members, contemporary filmmakers, dancers and choreographers analyze and illuminate the film's famous dance sequences.◦Prologue
◦Dance At the Gym
◦Tony and Maria's Cha Cha
◦America
◦The Rumble
◦Maria's Roof Dance
◦Cool

ALL-NEW: A Place for Us: West Side Story's Legacy - a look back at the iconic film and the impact it has had all over the world◦Creation and Innovation
◦A Timeless Vision

Song Specific Commentary by Lyricist Stephen Sondheim◦Prologue
◦The Jet Song
◦Something's Coming
◦Dance At the Gym
◦Maria
◦America
◦Tonight
◦Gee, Officer Krupke
◦I Feel Pretty
◦One Hand, One Heart
◦Quintet
◦Somewhere
◦Cool
◦A Boy Like That / I Have A Love

Music Machine -allows viewers to go straight to their favorite musical numbers
West Side Memories
Storyboard to Film Comparison Montage
Trailers◦Original Theatrical Trailer
◦Original Issue Trailer
◦Reissue Trailer
◦Animated Trailer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 284 Old 07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Well, I've got every version of this film ever released on tape or disc, what's one more?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #3 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 AM

Liked: 11
All the big titles are coming 2011-2012, what a coincidence! It tells you if the studios don't release these movies on BD soon then they're window of opportunity will be shut for good because of Netflix streaming. The studios know the future is streaming. I won't be suckered into paying high prices. The only BD's that will interest me are the Bonds, Indiana Jones and Ben-Hur.
post #4 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 AM

On the digitalbits.com, it has the Golden age of Blu-ray for 2011-2012. What a bunch of BS. It's the studios last remaining opportunity and to be honest with you I hope it blows up in their faces.
post #5 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Another restoration?
post #6 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Wow, negativity! What the hell is wrong with this thread? West Side Story on bluray, probably a 4k scan, great box art....wtf?
post #7 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post
Wow, negativity! What the hell is wrong with this thread? West Side Story on bluray, probably a 4k scan, great box art....wtf?
If it is from a 70mm print then fine, we dont know that yet so I dont know whey people are thinking the worst.
Only thing I dont like is the lack of an original audio track
post #8 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post
On the digitalbits.com, it has the Golden age of Blu-ray for 2011-2012. What a bunch of BS. It's the studios last remaining opportunity and to be honest with you I hope it blows up in their faces.
Oh please.

It's called market penetration. Blu-ray has reached a point that studios feel they can make a profit from their deep catalog titles on the format.

So you're hoping that offering more catalog titles fail? Why are you even here then?

As for Netflix streaming: more and more ISPs are clamping down and throttling bandwidth or capping usage. Just wait until Joe-Sixpack is presented with a $200 ISP bill because of overages.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #9 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Oh please.

It's called market penetration. Blu-ray has reached a point that studios feel they can make a profit from their deep catalog titles on the format.

So you're hoping that offering more catalog titles fail? Why are you even here then?

As for Netflix streaming: more and more ISPs are clamping down and throttling bandwidth or capping usage. Just wait until Joe-Sixpack is presented with a $200 ISP bill because of overages.
No, unfortunately, this is not correct. What's correct is that blu-ray has reached a point where certain studios feel they can make a profit from a high-profile road show film that's having its 50th anniversary. You, in fact, would be shocked to know just how ready, willing, and able the studios are to license their major catalog titles to others - and I mean major titles. They have no interest at all in doing it themselves.
post #10 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Netflix is actually getting worse in regards to streaming
post #11 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
No, unfortunately, this is not correct. What's correct is that blu-ray has reached a point where certain studios feel they can make a profit from a high-profile road show film that's having its 50th anniversary. You, in fact, would be shocked to know just how ready, willing, and able the studios are to license their major catalog titles to others - and I mean major titles. They have no interest at all in doing it themselves.
I know exactly what studios are doing with catalogs and it's a money question. Paramount has been in bad shape for a while now and we all know what's happening at Miramax. Even then, Paramount holds onto and issues their "major" titles.

Fox would not have paid what it did to hold on to the MGM distribution deal if it didn't see a value in their catalog titles. I also don't see Warner doing what you think is happening.

post #12 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post
If it is from a 70mm print then fine, we dont know that yet so I dont know whey people are thinking the worst.
Only thing I dont like is the lack of an original audio track
Over on HTF some guy posted a quote from Fotokem saying this was one of the titles they scanned from 65mm elements at 8K and "restored" at 4K.

I'm pretty confident this one will be jaw-dropping.
post #13 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Over on HTF some guy posted a quote from Fotokem saying this was one of the titles they scanned from 65mm elements at 8K and "restored" at 4K.

Then it should look great
post #14 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

All the big titles are coming 2011-2012, what a coincidence! It tells you if the studios don't release these movies on BD soon then they're window of opportunity will be shut for good because of Netflix streaming. The studios know the future is streaming. I won't be suckered into paying high prices. The only BD's that will interest me are the Bonds, Indiana Jones and Ben-Hur.

Netflix streaming stinks compared to blu-ray
post #15 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Liked: 10
So excited for this. One of my fave musicals...
Hopefully we may see Evita or The Commitments soon?
post #16 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Having just done a transfer at Fotokem, they are tops with me and I'm guessing West Side will look remarkable. The DVD was soft and the color was off during an entire section of the overture. Cannot wait for this one.
post #17 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:

I know exactly what studios are doing with catalogs and it's a money question. Paramount has been in bad shape for a while now and we all know what's happening at Miramax. Even then, Paramount holds onto and issues their "major" titles.

Fox would not have paid what it did to hold on to the MGM distribution deal if it didn't see a value in their catalog titles. I also don't see Warner doing what you think is happening.

Well, The Egyptian is coming from Twilight Time and not Fox itself. And that's going to happen more and more and not just from Fox. I've been hearing these tales now for months.
post #18 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, The Egyptian is coming from Twilight Time and not Fox itself. And that's going to happen more and more and not just from Fox. I've been hearing these tales now for months.

The Egyptian was a bomb. So was Damnation Alley, so Fox licensing these titles is no skin off their backs. When they license out something like The King And I then it's time to worry.

Paramount licensing weak titles like Drop Zone or Hard Rain is also not a big deal. It actually allows lesser titles to see the light of Blu.

post #19 of 284 Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:

The Egyptian was a bomb. So was Damnation Alley, so Fox licensing these titles is no skin off their backs. When they license out something like The King And I then it's time to worry.

Paramount licensing weak titles like Drop Zone or Hard Rain is also not a big deal. It actually allows lesser titles to see the light of Blu.

I'm not going into detail, but all I can tell you is certain studios have no plans to do some of their biggest titles and are considering licensing them out to others. Believe it. Whether it ultimately happens or not is unknown now, but that's the attitude.
post #20 of 284 Old 07-09-2011, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Looks stunning on Sky HD
post #21 of 284 Old 07-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Agree completely. It's far from a 50th Anniversary, but I was somewhat surprised to see LOTR EE BD grab the #1 top selling spot for Blu-ray and #2 overall all, selling nearly 80% as many units on BD as the #1 overall seller Sucker Punch did on both BD & DVD. Not bad for a 10 year old catalog release.
post #22 of 284 Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Liked: 13
Have MGM knocked his one out of the park?

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/bl...ition-02-10-11

Incredible amount of detail in that first screenshot.

Please God don't be region locked.
post #23 of 284 Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

Have MGM knocked his one out of the park?

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/bl...ition-02-10-11

Incredible amount of detail in that first screenshot.

Please God don't be region locked.

Looks good. I've got this pre-ordered with Amazon. Which region are you concerned about?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #24 of 284 Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Liked: 17
Those screencaps look wonderful!!!
post #25 of 284 Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

MGM you fickle buggers, some consistency in future please
post #26 of 284 Old 10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the original sound mix of WSS, it appears that a more "modern" mix was created about 1981. The original 6-track mix has been restored and is being shown in some special 70mm presentations. See:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/wss/index.htm

It is not clear what mix we will be getting. My guess is that it will be a scaled down mix with the dialogue straight down the center instead of a 5.1 emulating the original, Oscar-winning mix by Murray Spivack and others. If so, this would parallel the fate recently suffered by Ben-hur on the new Blu-ray disk (which is otherwise pretty nice). [Murray Spivack worked on more than 13 films originally produced in 70mm, 5 of which won Best Picture. It is a shame that his work is not always preserved.]

Sadly, these films will not be restored or even touched too many more times. The studios are now preparing the final digital versions that will in most cases become the official version of the movie for all future channels of distribution, including whatever remains in the way of theatrical distribution. When the currently extant 70mm prints are gone, there will be no more.
post #27 of 284 Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:

I guess you know now how right I was, yes? Fright Night coming from Twilight Time. Mysterious Island coming from Twilight Time - I knew all about this back when you were telling me it wasn't happening, and now everyone knows - it's BIG BIG titles from Columbia, none of which were "bombs."
post #28 of 284 Old 10-08-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you know now how right I was, yes? Fright Night coming from Twilight Time. Mysterious Island coming from Twilight Time - I knew all about this back when you were telling me it wasn't happening, and now everyone knows - it's BIG BIG titles from Columbia, none of which were "bombs."

Can you be more specific with titles and references, I am afraid I don't know about this.

BTW I thought that The Egyptian from Twilight Time was very well done. There are many titles that I would buy and appreciate in this condition. If the studios feel that they can do better using distributors like Twilight Time, is that such a bad thing?

[If this is hijacking the thread, I would appreciate a PM.]
post #29 of 284 Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Many big Columbia titles coming from Twilight Time - none of which could be considered, as said by the poster I was originally responding to, as "flops."
post #30 of 284 Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many big Columbia titles coming from Twilight Time - none of which could be considered, as said by the poster I was originally responding to, as "flops."

They are not flops: they are not "evergreen" catalog titles.

The reason Columbia licensed them is because THEY believe they will not sell more than a few thousand copies of each.

Columbia (Sony) has licensed Mysterious Island in the past: to Pioneer Special Editions.

As I said, wake me when they license something BIG.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page