post #91 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnS View Post

Thor is definitelly a reference soundtrack, except for a single scene near the middle of the movie. When Loki is attempting to pick up the hammer after saying farewell to Thor at the SHIELD base. There was a sudden and loud humming sound that seemed a bit unnatural as soon as Loki touched the hammer. I don't know if this is intentional or not since I don't remember this in the theater. It was quite jarring as I thought my speakers were freaking out. No other problems though.

It was present in every screening I saw in theaters. It's supposed to be an unnatural sound, Loki's great power resisted by and even greater power. It creates a hum, I guess. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

It was present in every screening I saw in theaters. It's supposed to be an unnatural sound, Loki's great power resisted by and even greater power. It creates a hum, I guess. ;-)

That is how I saw it
post #93 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 03:10 PM

It's more than just a hum, at least on my system. It was a really loud tone at reference volume. I had to turn down the volume during this scene for fear of ruining my speakers. I thought it was a bad disc or maybe there was something wrong with my speakers when it happened. If you guys are hearing this too, I won't worry about it.
post #94 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I think I'm going to give this one a rent on Amazon tonight. The quality is rather good in HD and 5.1 sound (over my particular internet connection anyway), and it will at least tell me if the movie is good enough to warrant more viewings and give me a taste of the soundtrack. I'm just too nervous about buying this one. Hollywood just isn't doing a lot for me lately so I'm cautious.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #95 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Looking forward to renting this tom night. I did not think much of the film, but I also kept thinking what a fun HT experience it would/could be if they got the audio right which it sounds like they did

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #96 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I think I'm going to give this one a rent on Amazon tonight. The quality is rather good in HD and 5.1 sound (over my particular internet connection anyway), and it will at least tell me if the movie is good enough to warrant more viewings and give me a taste of the soundtrack. I'm just too nervous about buying this one. Hollywood just isn't doing a lot for me lately so I'm cautious.
I watched my rented copy Tues night. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would as the trailers looked way cheesy. It was not on par with Iron Man but was entertaining and worth a second viewing. As usual Mr. Potts review was spot on. I wouldn't buy it but would probably rent it once more down the road for kicks.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #97 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 06:13 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Well....I went ahead and ran to Walmart to pick it up at the request of my LFE loving wife. I'm such a push over.

Stephen.

post #98 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Watched it on On Demand the other day in 3D and thought it was so so. I never really cared much for Stan's stuff movie wise. I dunno the super hero thing just isn't there for me. Superman was the real deal for me, Chris really made you wish you could fly. I watched pretty much all of the Stanley films and I still think the Richard Donner cut beats them all.
post #99 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

It's more than just a hum, at least on my system. It was a really loud tone at reference volume. I had to turn down the volume during this scene for fear of ruining my speakers. I thought it was a bad disc or maybe there was something wrong with my speakers when it happened. If you guys are hearing this too, I won't worry about it.

I'll listen for this "hum", do remember the scene's it was there?
post #100 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Well....I went ahead and ran to Walmart to pick it up at the request of my LFE loving wife. I'm such a push over.

Your wife sounds awesome! Curious to hear your thoughts on the audio!

post #101 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Your wife sounds awesome! Curious to hear your thoughts on the audio!

She is. And so was this track. Didn't sound super low but hit hard. Very well done sound on this one. Actually liked the movie much more than I was expecting, too.

Stephen.

post #102 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Looking forward to renting this tom night. I did not think much of the film, but I also kept thinking what a fun HT experience it would/could be if they got the audio right which it sounds like they did

Hey bud, the ride is worth it and then some...I liked the movie, but wasn't expecting much.
post #103 of 162 Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks guys. I am sure I will enjoy this one a lof more at home vs the $1 theater I watched it in.

post #104 of 162 Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
NF sent this out to me today.

Soon I'll know if it is worth a $23 purchase...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #105 of 162 Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Well it's no Citizen Kane.....
post #106 of 162 Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM

I think this one takes a lot of people (including myself) by surprise. This was the Marvel movie I was least looking forward to, but the pitch perfect casting of Thor really made the movie very enjoyable for me. That said, I did like Captain America better, but that was no shock... he's one of my favorite superheroes. And I love period pieces.
post #107 of 162 Old 09-16-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Well it's no Citizen Kane.....

LOL, you are a quick wit.

post #108 of 162 Old 09-17-2011, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 291
First:
This was a great movie for all who watched it last night, (3) 7 year olds, (1) 5 year old, and us (3) dads.
I have to question why PG13 vs PG, except the battle scenes maybe gave it the PG13, even those no blood/gore really shown at all.
I have no problem recommending this to other families with young kids.
For me, seeing it on my 130" screen in the HT & 7.1 sound system was much better than my 37" bedroom HDTV.

Now, as noted by posts below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Watched Thor last night on Blu-ray.

Overall, excellent a/v quality. My only minor complaint is the dialog at times is mixed very low in comparison with the rest of the soundtrack (which is DTS-MA 7.1 btw).

Agree 100%, I've watched many-many movies, and can't remember a time ever where the dialogue sounded muddy/poorly mixed, just a few scenes.
We were watching it at -12db on my Denon AVR-4308CI, and that was too loud for the scenes of Asgard - there was this low freq rumble that was a constant drone, so I turned the main volume down to -20db, and then some scenes the dialogue was hard to hear.
(I run Audyssy with DynEq on and DynVol off.)

Jim, dad sitting next to me in 2nd row (boys in 1st row), said "can you turn it up a little Mike?".
I've never had someone ask me to turn up the volume before to hear a passage spoken.

Even turned back to -12db, the dialogue simply was "soft", not clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Great flic and the LFE alone is worth the admission. Throw in some stunning CGI with a decent story, acting and action and its a winner. My house was shaking!!! I havent heard that in a long while, but it seems that 7.1 track was enveloping as well as earth shattering.

+1, the 7.1 effects were great and used very well, not overdone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC View Post

Like others have mentioned, the dialog is mixed a little too low. It's not like I have issues with dynamic range, but rather, to hear the dialog in the same level I'm used to in other BDs, I have to turn up the volume in some 5 or 6 db. But, apart from that, the sound effects rock the surrounds offer a great sense of envelopment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiek View Post

I also have to agree that the dialogue in Thor is mixed too low, as opposed to X-Men first class. In Thor, I had to turn the volume up when hearing quiet conversations, and then quickly turn it back down when the fight scenes and explosions occur.

Seems the dialogue issue for a few scenes is a consistent theme with this release.

Overall; really like the movie, great 7.1, just a few scenes where the dialogue mix could be improved.
The Asagard background hummmm sorta got to me, and I could see the LED lights on my FBQ2496 constantly on for those scenes as the low hum was there.
post #109 of 162 Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's certainly a unique sound, like a metallic hum, very unlike anything I've heard before. I know nothing about your speakers, setup, etc. but it is always entirely possible that the sound frequency is just right to cause distortion in one of your drivers, cabinets, or object in the room - like a sonic Kryptonite. I'm just reaching, but I find it unlikely that there would be an error on the disc. Just a thought.

The PG-13 rating is rather surprising. There's very little bloody violence - Odin's eye injury, that one dude getting impaled by icicles - but everything else is akin to Wile E. Coyote style. I'm trying to recall any swearing, but can't. Almost zero sexual content - not even cleavage.

I've since watched it twice since acquiring it on Blu-ray and these scenes still really stick out to me, but not nearly as bad as on the giant screen: 00:07:36 (crowd flyover, lots of digital noise or fake grain), and 01:42:00 (blurry, zoomed in banquet scene). There are some other parts, like when Thor is running through the plastic tubes that the camera zooms in and there's some major resolution loss. Again, these are things I saw in the theater and aren't as noticeable on a smaller screen.

All in all, I love this movie. Can't wait for Cap!
post #110 of 162 Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watched it...overall it was pretty good and entertaining.

I've never read the comic..does it take place on current day earth or in Asgard? If the latter, why did they bother bringing Earth into this aside from his "test"?

I thought the weakest parts of the movie involved the one-liners.. while it's supposed to keep things from being taken too seriously, it comes off as campy...especially when you watch it years from now. The other weak part was Natalie Portman's character. It's weird to see her do Black Swan, and then soon after, take a role where she's a 1 dimensional character that could've pretty much been played by anybody....

Criticism aside, it was good, but probably one of the weaker big budget Marvel movies (better than Punisher, Elektra, etc)... Not as good as X-Men First Class though.

PQ and AQ were top notch. I have the 3D version but watched it in 2D because of all the bad things i've heard about the (fake post production) 3D.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #111 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Just watched it...overall it was pretty good and entertaining.

I've never read the comic..does it take place on current day earth or in Asgard? If the latter, why did they bother bringing Earth into this aside from his "test"?

The comic (and the movie) is supposed to be grounded in present day reality. One of the things that made Marvel Comics a bit unique back in the early 60's when they first introduced their line of superheroes like Spiderman, The Fantastic Four, Thor, etc was that they used actual locations on Earth, notably New York City instead of make-believe cities like Metropolis, Gotham City, and so on like DC Comics (Batman, Superman, etc) did. This was all part of co-creators Stan lee and Jack Kirby's belief that using "real" locations and humanizing and grounding their characters in basically everyday life dealing with fantastic situations would increase their appeal and resonate with readers.

Obviously, mythical and fantastical realms that populate the Marvel Universe like The Negative Zone, The prehistoric Savage Land and of course Thor's Asgard co-exist with our "Earth" and have been painstakingly explained and rationalized in the comics to the same degree say, 1950's monster movies would rationalize nuclear testing awakened and mutated "hibernating" dinosaurs like Godzilla. The reader or in the film's case, the viewer basically has to make the leap that a quasi-mystical land that's not really a planet somehow exists "out there" in space that is not space... or something like that.
post #112 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I really liked this movie.

I've read a lot of Marvel comics over the years without being a slavish fan. Thor was always a difficult fit, stretched between Kirby's fascination with the theme of superhoes-as-gods and Lee's insistence on grounding the Marvel Universe in the real world. So we end up with Thor as an Avenger.

In the comics it turns out to be less of a reach than it might appear because Kirby was essentially right -- they can all do superhuman things and they all wear tight pants, so the word "god" is more a semantic distinction than it is one between natural and supernatural, with all religious inferences stripped out.

It's more of a challenge in a movie, where you have to get this over to a general audience without offending the Marvel fans -- and where you still have to ground the existence of a realm like Asgard in a believable version of the real world.

I thought they walked that line just about perfectly. This version of Thor and the Asgard mythology can comfortably exist in the same world as Iron Man and Captain America. More importantly, this characterization of Thor will be a blast when we see him interact with Downey's Iron Man, and he'll find a real soul-bro in Cap.

The movie was visually gorgeous, the requisite hero's journey was neatly done, and Loki in particular was given a lot more dimension than usual. I give Portman credit for taking the role of a smart, strong, dedicated woman who nevertheless finds herself powerless to resist the sexual magnetism of a "godlike" alpha male, and playing it as intended.

The hint at the end about who might be involved in the Avengers movie as a bad guy was intriguing.

i haven't seen Captain America yet, but the first two Marvel movies of the summer, this one and X-Men: First Class, both get big thumbs-up from me.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #113 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The AV quality is extremely good on this BD and convinced me to make a purchase as soon as the price is < 20 bucks.
My SW never stopped rumbling!

Oh, and the film itself is one of the very best Superhero movies ever done....IMO.
Hats-off to Kenneth Branagh...I didn't think he had it in him.

post #114 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Just saw this movie this morning. Quite good for a superhero movie. Just the right element of fun, funny, and cool. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it and are going to purchase it on BD soon for sure.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #115 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 04:57 PM

Hi ALL.

Watched this last night and I thought it was terrific!! I actually have a 7.1 speaker setup and it really sounded great. The sub-woofer really had a workout and the picture quality was very good.

I was never much of a Marvel fan, and even less for Thor, but I thought this had the right mix of everything to end up being a very enjoyable movie!!

Gerry

P. S. Stan Lee's cameo as the guy driving the truck where the truck bed is torn off trying to free the hammer was great!!
post #116 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Stan Lee's best cameo was in Captain America, IMO.

I did genuinely laugh at his line, as silly as it was.
post #117 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I caught this on 3d blu a couple nights ago. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but I must say I was disappointed in the 3d. Some of the Asgard scenes were impressive, perhaps because with all the green screen elements the separate eye views could be rendered for a better effect. But the majority of the live action content I felt was flattened out & lacked presence & realism (yeah, I know, I like my movies about outcast Norse gods turned flying superheroes on earth to be realsitic!). You know what I mean...

The other issue is that so much of the film was visually dark, which really hampered the 3d (at least on my system). I mean, yes it was a conversion, but they supposedly shot with 3d in mind, and yet Branagh opened with a scene in a pitch dark desert, with detail that was difficult to discern in the 2d version. This can be done acceptably if highlights & contrast levels are controlled (ex: Nightmare Before Christmas), but I would have preferred an opening that didn't leave me squinting.

I thought the audio was top notch. I didn't have any problems with the balance of dialogue/effects/music, and the dynamic range was refreshing and appropriate... the mix had some "breathing room", which was nice.
post #118 of 162 Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

I caught this on 3d blu a couple nights ago. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but I must say I was disappointed in the 3d. Some of the Asgard scenes were impressive, perhaps because with all the green screen elements the separate eye views could be rendered for a better effect. But the majority of the live action content I felt was flattened out & lacked presence & realism (yeah, I know, I like my movies about outcast Norse gods turned flying superheroes on earth to be realsitic!). You know what I mean...

The other issue is that so much of the film was visually dark, which really hampered the 3d (at least on my system). I mean, yes it was a conversion, but they supposedly shot with 3d in mind, and yet Branagh opened with a scene in a pitch dark desert, with detail that was difficult to discern in the 2d version. This can be done acceptably if highlights & contrast levels are controlled (ex: Nightmare Before Christmas), but I would have preferred an opening that didn't leave me squinting.

I thought the audio was top notch. I didn't have any problems with the balance of dialogue/effects/music, and the dynamic range was refreshing and appropriate... the mix had some "breathing room", which was nice.

Give the 2D a try....it looks very good.

post #119 of 162 Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Oh, and the film itself is one of the very best Superhero movies ever done....IMO.

Nice take. I have closed my theater to all super hero/action flics until I finished my front speaker project and am just a week or two away from this and all the new release goodness to come.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #120 of 162 Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I came into this with low expectations, but both my wife and I were pleasantly surprised. It wasn't the most amazing film ever, but it was interesting and fun. I've never been into comics, so the story was new to me!

I thought the picture and audio were both outstanding.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page