Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

None of that contradicts what I said; in fact, it confirms it. 83% of the copies gone in 4 days? No way TT execs are saying to themselves "we overpriced this thing".

Four days??? It's taken almost a month. Not long, but longer than four days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I preordered and my ship date was 7 December. 4 days or 10 days, the point is the same. As somebody concisely put it, "manufactured" rarity, say heah! ...and jingle all the way...this bloody run will sell out by the end of the day.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 12-17-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

I preordered and my ship date was 7 December. 4 days or 10 days, the point is the same. As somebody concisely put it, "manufactured" rarity, say heah! ...and jingle all the way...this bloody run will sell out by the end of the day.

Not necessarily.

Those 500 copies could be what didn't sell to those who were interested. They might be sitting on them for another 6 months.

In most other cases, a limited release would have sold out by the end of the first day. Counting pre-order, they've had a good month to sell those 2500 copies.

While not a failure, this wasn't exactly a run on the product that would make QVC giddy.

Keep in mind, the sales include potential E-bayers buying multiple copies to sell later. I found several of them already that have at least 5 each.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

....Keep in mind, the sales include potential E-bayers buying multiple copies to sell later. I found several of them already that have at least 5 each.

Really, I was just crafting a jingle but the very news that there might only be 500 copies left should urge on some people. They really might be out at Screen Archives in mere days? If you can sell somethin' out in 10, 13, 17, or whatever number of few days with virtually no promotion, does it really matter the precise number of days...?

There is a demand for this title that far exceeds 3000 copies. This title will be frightfully talked about on forums when copies are selling mostly at high auction prices or for ludicrous sums on Amazonia. I can well imagine the lamenting already.

I bought a copy because I really love the film and need to replace my ole Laserdisc. I so enjoyed this film back in the LD days... an' I'm back in the saddle again. My copy will never be for sale.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
So this film, after a month, can't even sell 3,000 copies? Looks like Sony was right to license this title out.

I'd buy it at the typical catalog price of $10, but this $30 is ridiculous. Wonder how many people bought just to flip (for potentially more money). LMAO at some of the eBay listings right now. Best part is they are selling for $50+! Check out completed auctions. Gees.

Oh well. Guess we can look forward to more of this since catalog isn't really selling all that much in retailer and this may be the only way to get it. Pass.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Liked: 50
Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It cost me closer to $40 to purchase this title due to international shipping costs: Amazon (not marketplace) would have been cheaper with the ability to amortise the cost over a number of other titles I might want.

My initial concern with the limited run is that if my purchase goes missing in transit, I can't request a re-shipment for 6 weeks and by that time all copies could be already sold, so my chances of seeing this movie could very well be dashed, unless I want to pay ebay scalper prices (and this movie is not worth that amount).

I am also concerned about the consequences to the consumer through damage, deterioration or theft of their personal copy: once the limited run ends, the ability to subsequently watch the movie will be severely compromised.

The ramifications to the consumer for this particular business model go far beyond the mere $30 price of the title and is why I keep re-iterating the deterioration in access by the public to these artworks.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

From TT's Facebook page. If you're on the fence, looks like it's time to move:

Just an update with regard to the remaining stock of "Fright Night." There are now fewer than 118 copies of the regular release left, and fewer than 30 copies of the Tom Holland autographed discs.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Woo Hoo!

Got my copy in the mail. As a Canadian, this is significant since I opted to go with plain USPS First Class mail. As others have pointed out, attempting to order from Screen Archives brings up a scary warning about mail going missing from "your country" and a statement that they will not replace packages that aren't registered.

I went with regular mail based on the following:

1) I'm not paying $15.00 to ship a 4 ounce package.

2) Despite the warning, I've never had a piece of mail from the U.S. to Canada ever go missing and I do a lot of international mail order.

3) My experience with international registered mail is the extra handling can actually slow down shipments.

4) Registered packages alert the government to the fact that you have a taxable commercial product and they may choose to charge you Provincial Sales tax and the Federal Goods and Services tax (although the government is very inconsistent about this).

5) Registered packages require that you either be home to sign for them or you must go to a postal outlet to retrieve them.

In my case, the mailman just dropped it off in the box. It's arrived in perfect condition (with the bonus magnet).

Now, I won't lie to you...I was nervous about the prospect of this package going missing. It hasn't happened to me but there's always a first time. It was mailed on December 6 and, if it hadn't arrived by tomorrow, there was going to be a major cry of "Aw Crap!" heard over the Canadian prairies.

But it has arrived perfectly...still attached to the hub and scratch free. (Which in no way alters my belief that movie fans shouldn't have to jump through such hoops to buy a disc.)
Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

Woo Hoo!

Got my copy in the mail. As a Canadian, this is significant since I opted to go with plain USPS First Class mail. As others have pointed out, attempting to order from Screen Archives brings up a scary warning about mail going missing from "your country" and a statement that they will not replace packages that aren't registered.

That's annoying. I'm in Vancouver and chose registered mail (So $22 in total) and after shipping on the 7th, mine still hasn't arrived. Though it's currently at Richmond, so I'd be shocked if doesn't arrive today or tomorrow. The fact that it's Xmas doesn't help the situation.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Mine arrived today and after having just watched this I am very, very much pleased with this purchase. For me, the price was never a major concern. Newly released blu-rays, even catalogue titles, sold in Sweden fetch $30 excluding shipping occasionally dropping a dollar or two off so not a biggie and for a movie like Fright Night with this quality transfer it was money well spent!

Ddin't get the statement regarding shipping when ordering oddly enough, either I must have completely missed it or it depends on where the customer is located. It had US tracking anyway and it would take a lot for packages to get lost in Sweden so it would have been pointless to add that expense.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Screen Archives has run out of Fright-ful product.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Let the ebay scalp-fest begin.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

For it to sell out that quickly means it definitely wasn't overpriced.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

For it to sell out that quickly means it definitely wasn't overpriced.

No, was not overpriced.

It was underproduced.

I don't know why some developed a fixation on the pricing. That was never an issue.

The insanity was the whole limited edition nonsense. It sold out a week after release (no surprise). And, as I and others said, it will now be scalped on eBay. This event didn't even qualify as a "prediction" since anybody could have figured it out.

And some people think this is perfectly OK. They now have their collectible investments. They can screw some poor Fright Night fan on eBay who was late to the party and didn't know how to buy the disc.

Yeah...great for Blu-ray...great for the home video hobby.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

No, was not overpriced.

It was underproduced.

I don't know why some developed a fixation on the pricing. That was never an issue.

The insanity was the whole limited edition nonsense. It sold out a week after release (no surprise). And, as I and others said, it will now be scalped on eBay. This event didn't even qualify as a "prediction" since anybody could have figured it out.

And some people think this is perfectly OK. They now have their collectible investments. They can screw some poor Fright Night fan on eBay who was late to the party and didn't know how to buy the disc.

Yeah...great for Blu-ray...great for the home video hobby.

Don't know how it is in Canada, but where I come from, that's called Capitalism .. and you have to have a willing buyer .. so what exactly is wrong with that .. ?? Not that I stockpiled discs to re-sell, just curious about your moral outrage ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The market will pay what the market will bear.

My guess is that they'll announce a mass run a couple months after it sells out, once they're sure they can sell a lot more. In either case, I'm not going to buy it now or get scalped on eBay. I'll just wait until it's in the Best Buy bargain bin next year.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

My guess is that they'll announce a mass run a couple months after it sells out, once they're sure they can sell a lot more. In either case, I'm not going to buy it now or get scalped on eBay. I'll just wait until it's in the Best Buy bargain bin next year.

You haven't been paying attention.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome. Be sure to bump this thread next year when you buy it at the bargain bin at Best Buy.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a plan.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:

Unlikely .. in cases like this, the manufacturer buys the right to produce x number of units .. so, unless they want to pay for more, and then alienate their customer base that actually likes the limited run collectability, there won't be more ..

And, yes, the market determines what folks will pay ..

I'll give you another example, so all of you can stoke the moral outrage fire ..

Panasonic offers an Avatar 3-D BD exclusive with a Panasonic BD player .. you can only get the BD by buying the player, and the exclusive lasts till Feb 2012 .. the BD sells commonly for $90-100 and has gone as high as $125.00 .. the lowest price BD player that gets you the disk has been as low as $98.00 .. so, essentially, folks have been getting the BD player for free or close to it by hawking the disc on eBay ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Too bad that I could not buy it when it was in print. I will NEVER pay extra on ebay.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM

High Def Digest review:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3644/frightnight.html

PQ is good!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post

Too bad that I could not buy it when it was in print. I will NEVER pay extra on ebay.

Get in your boat and start paddlin'. Come on over and watch it with me. BTW, what's your blood type?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Don't know how it is in Canada, but where I come from, that's called Capitalism .. and you have to have a willing buyer .. so what exactly is wrong with that .. ?? Not that I stockpiled discs to re-sell, just curious about your moral outrage ..

This episode highlights the bad side of capitalism....use of copyright law to create price suppourt.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This episode highlights the bad side of capitalism....use of copyright law to create price suppourt.

Hence, you can bet this will be a highly "shared" rip among certain Internet circles.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never seen so much entitlement amongst home video consumers, but I guess it goes hand in hand in the times we live in.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

I've never seen so much entitlement amongst home video consumers, but I guess it goes hand in hand in the times we live in.

Entitlement? The times we live in?

It seems rather clear that there is a significant fan base that extends much further than this arbitrary 3,000 units limited run can adequately accommodate.

The main issue here is there is no equivalent recourse nor clear future alternative for those who were unaware of in time or unable to take advantage of this limited run.

What could be done is provide a reissue without say, the original artwork and omit the isolated soundtrack to distinguish the two releases; which would retain the vaunted and perceived inflated value of the original release whilst appeasing the evidently larger fan base.

I have never seen the film except for seeing the poster art in various venues over the years but with all the raised awareness due to the remake and high praise of the original my curiosity has been peeked. Alas this miscalculated limited edition run only reduces the likelihood of me ever getting around to seeing it in an evidently nice HD presentation.

This boutique approach seems rather shortsighted at least for this particular release in comparison for some of their other offerings where hedging their bets maybe the best approach.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Blame Sony. They didn't care to release it themselves.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alas this miscalculated limited edition

What was "miscalculated" about it?

It was available for a month-plus from the time of ordering. That's plenty of time for a fan of the movie to find out about the release and order it. If it was available for 6-12 months, that to me looks like a sign of a lack of interest.

Good thing you don't buy limited-edition soundtrack albums. Screen Archives and countless other labels have produced some great 3000-copy CDs that have sold out in hours, never mind days. Comparatively speaking FRIGHT NIGHT was available for an eternity!