Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

My guess is Arrow might do it, just a feeling I have
A very strong feeling.

Tell you what - let's resurrect this thread in a year and you can tell us you were wrong. Fair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I have a crazy feeling they made a lot more but just wanted to sell the first 3,000 at 34.99 a pop (or close to that)...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I watched my copy of Fright Night last evening which I had been holding off on a for a few weeks while I waited for a family member to arrive home. I thought the picture quality was excellent for such an old catalog title as was the DTS-MA soundtrack. Even though the movie's soundstage seemed centered on the front speakers I was surprised by the clarity and depth of the music in this film which was especially noticeable during the scene in the night club. There was detail in scenes I hadn't noticed before and I have owned all previous video versions of this film. There was a round of applause from family members after the movie finished, a rarity in my home.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 12-24-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Brian De Palma's "Obsession" is a Columbia title...

They just announced two more titles for March...and no Fright Night. How soon shall we expect the announcement? I hope I can move my 5, wait, now 4 copies before that happens.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:37 PM

I finally got this in the mail the other day, and got around to watching it last night.

It was one of my favourite movies growing up, and I know just about every line in the movie. So I was really looking forward to it.

I have to say, it hasn't aged all that well. I can see why Sony decided to license this one out. It was a nice trip to my childhood, but I don't think it would be a big seller, even at a lower price.

The audio was a bit lacking, kind of sounded like a mono track. The video was very good, considering it is an older title.

All in all, $50 for a trip back to memory lane, ... I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
Old 12-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Twilight Time's license was almost certainly limited to a specific number of copies (likely the 3000 already sold) and some period of exclusivity in the U.S. (2-3 years at the most).

Here's a great interview which goes into considerable detail about this, the state of catalog titles and physical media, etc.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:03 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Here's a great interview which goes into considerable detail about this, the state of catalog titles and physical media, etc.

Fantastic article. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Buuuuut...Everyone keeps telling me they will by it from the discounted bin in 6 months?
Old 12-25-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

I wish people giving interviews wouldn't claim to speak on my behalf or on behalf of anyone but themselves.

Agreed. Not sure what his point is about pricing. Amazon shows they have 739 Blu-ray titles for $10.00 or less. Many of these are tent pole A titles.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootse7en View Post

And somehow botch it, like most of their other releases.

"Welcome to Fright Night.... DNRed.... for real...."

But at least the packaging would be pretty.

What was wrong with THE FUNHOUSE or OBSESSION? Neither one of those had DNR on them.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

What was wrong with THE FUNHOUSE or OBSESSION? Neither one of those had DNR on them.

Those are the few exceptions. Vamp was good too.

But the majority of their releases are inferior to the US releases.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My guess is that if (more like when) Arrow will release it it will be region B locked. Not that actually matters to anyone with a screwdriver...

We taking bets on when Arrow will release this?

I was also unaware that a simple screw driver can make any Blu-ray player region free. Can you post up those directions?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Like I've said (elsewhere?) from the start - the license itself is time sensitive, and will block any directly competing release for a number of years. If Arrow Video gets the rights, I assume it'll be Region B locked to prevent competition in the same theoretical region.

3 years seems shorter than "normal"`licensing period of 5-7 years, but I'm sure it's cheaper for Twilight Time... and hey, what would they do with another 2-4 years with Fright Night anyway?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
What is the point of a 3 year license when they only intended to make 3000 copies and surely they didn't think it would take them that long to sell?

They make zero money on eBay resales... So either they intend to make more during their window OR they overpaid for a 3 year exclusivity that nets them nothing now that they sold out in a month.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

What is the point of a 3 year license when they only intended to make 3000 copies and surely they didn't think it would take them that long to sell?

They make zero money on eBay resales... So either they intend to make more during their window OR they overpaid for a 3 year exclusivity that nets them nothing now that they sold out in a month.

For all any of us know, Twilight Time could be preparing the True Stripped, Bad-To-The-Bone Edition with out the special feature...??? It might be limited to 30 million copies?

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:

The point is that it ensures them no direct competition for a period of time and makes their product appear valuable (for lack of a better description). If they DIDN'T license a film for a few years, Sony could turn around and re-release the film a week after the Twilight Time Blu-ray sould out. That buffer between their street date and anyone else having it (even Sony) is what makes the "Limited Edition" tag mean something.

If Fright Night was available for $15 a month later, nobody would ever buy a Twilight Time Blu-ray again. They NEED to earn a little consumer confidence to keep a business model like this from collapsing on itself.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
In the case of Fright Night, it would make sense for the studio and Twilight Time to say, okay, this particular release needed more and put up a pre-order page for a re-print. if enough orders come in, do a second run. That would be good customer service o na title that really was no appropriate for this series. It a big B title.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

In the case of Fright Night, it would make sense for the studio and Twilight Time to say, okay, this particular release needed more and put up a pre-order page for a re-print. if enough orders come in, do a second run. That would be good customer service o na title that really was no appropriate for this series. It a big B title.

So lie to 3,000 customers who purchased this for $30 thinking it was special? Nice. Yeah, lots of good will there. Everything should do that with everything billed as 'Limited Edition'. Sounds like a fantastic plan

You guys are crazy thinking this title will be a big seller. It only sold so well because they were reselling for 2x the value (when still available from TT) and now 3-4x.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

So lie to 3,000 customers who purchased this for $30 thinking it was special? Nice. Yeah, lots of good will there.

Except for a tiny number of speculators (who I don't give a damn about), most of us bought the movie BECAUSE WE LIKE THE MOVIE.

I'd be delighted if Sony and Twilight Time came up with some way to get this into the hands of people who love the movie.

I get frustrated and annoyed by people getting hung up on this "thinking it was special" nonsense. We loved the movie, we bought the movie. The whole limited edition baloney garners NO good will from me (and, I own the disc). If Twilight Time wants my good will, find a way to sell more copies of this movie.

Yes, if that happens happens, Twilight Time will lose the good will of the speculators and opportunists. Who cares? I'd rather concern myself with the opportunity for movie fans to own movies. I have no interest in making people think they are special because they think they own something special.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quote:

....I have no interest in making people think they are special because they think they own something special.

My mama told me I didn't have a special purpose and I never knew what she meant till now... I just feel lucky, that I didn't blink, and that I got a copy.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except for a tiny number of speculators (who I don't give a damn about), most of us bought the movie BECAUSE WE LIKE THE MOVIE.

I'd be delighted if Sony and Twilight Time came up with some way to get this into the hands of people who love the movie.

I get frustrated and annoyed by people getting hung up on this "thinking it was special" nonsense. We loved the movie, we bought the movie. The whole limited edition baloney garners NO good will from me (and, I own the disc). If Twilight Time wants my good will, find a way to sell more copies of this movie.

Yes, if that happens happens, Twilight Time will lose the good will of the speculators and opportunists. Who cares? I'd rather concern myself with the opportunity for movie fans to own movies. I have no interest in making people think they are special because they think they own something special.

Agreed... Speculators come and go when the wind shifts... As soon as they are unable to flip a "limited" copy for big profit, they will be gone... Fans, however, will always be here... And if you make your fans happy you will have a better business in the future.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Agreed. The film, in the hands of its fans, is what's important. I don't give a **** about speculators or people who dream of owning something no one else can.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Agreed... Speculators come and go when the wind shifts... As soon as they are unable to flip a "limited" copy for big profit, they will be gone... Fans, however, will always be here... And if you make your fans happy you will have a better business in the future.

No, today's fans are fickle, as you know. You're talking about fans of ONE movie and unless Twilight Time makes a habit of doing these nostalgic 80s titles those fans will not be back to purchase anything from Twilight Time's catalog of classic films.

And the fans of this film have the movie. Had this been unlimited, remove the few speculators and it would not have sold 3000 copies - people would have waited and waited and waited until they could find it in their beloved five-dollar bin, and everyone would have lost money.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

No, today's fans are fickle, as you know. You're talking about fans of ONE movie and unless Twilight Time makes a habit of doing these nostalgic 80s titles those fans will not be back to purchase anything from Twilight Time's catalog of classic films.

Well, I bought MYSTERIOUS ISLAND from them. (which, rumor has it, is also close to becoming sold-out.)

Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It took 5 weeks to sell 3,000 copies. Many were bought by flippers.

Those "fans" amounted to less than 3,000 people.

Sorry, your wrong.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

It took 5 weeks to sell 3,000 copies. Many were bought by flippers.

Those "fans" amounted to less than 3,000 people.

Sorry, your wrong.

Sorry but you can't extrapolate that conclusion from the facts...

If flippers are able to sell their copies, then it means Twilight would have sold those copies to fans IF the flippers had not beaten them to it. And we will never know how many more they could have sold unless they make more... And had the price been lower that too opens the door to more fans and less flippers.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 AM

Interesting
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't have a copy of Fright Night, but, while looking for a you tube unboxing video for Mysterious Island, I came across this unboxing video of Fright Night.

It's a reall hoot by this self-professed Hillbilly... enjoy his discussion about his new "blur"-ray (NSFW -- Language):

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!