Hellraiser Blu-Ray Transfer Anchor Bay vs. Image Entertainment vs. King Records - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 104 Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post

Now that we have comparisons of all movies I would say this

Hellraiser 1 - US, UK and JP looks best. Maybe JP has a notch with better grain structure though US/UK have much extras.
Hellbound - JP have better grain over US but same soft transfer. Hdtv rip probably best.
Hellraiser 3 - only JP blu-ray out with lossy audiotrack and same old master as older german dvd but with better grain off course.

There are room for improvement on Hellbound and Hellraiser 3 disc.

In the caps a holic comparison between the US/JP of H1, I thought the US exhibited slightly better grain save for maybe one or two shots. Overall a wash. I agree on 2/3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 10-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post

Pretty certain Anchor Bay dumped a bunch of their licenses on Image given all the once AB titles upcoming from Image.

Echo Bridge's Hellraiser 3 DVD is basically LaserDisc quality heavily processed and stretched/squeezed (it's actually taken from Top Ten Media's illegal DVD release in the format's early days)...

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) DVD Comparison - Paramount US vs. Echo Bridge US vs. Anchor Bay UK

Both the Paramount and Anchor Bay crush its quality.

Just picked up the new UK reissues of 2 and 3 on dvd from boulevard entertainment (only cost £1 and they still have the Anchor Bay intros and II has the THX content and intro) and III only looks like VHS in the extra added unrated scenes.
The majority of the disc looks good.
post #93 of 104 Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 PM

The JP release of the original Hellraiser has more specs on the print in the Caps-A-Holic comparison, but those scratch repair filters are eating away at the feathers in the dream sequence (HERE).

Now I think they both look really nice, but it's interesting to see how digital tools meant to remove scratches and dirt can effect stuff like this.
post #94 of 104 Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Anybody know where I can get that INHD rip of Hellbound? I bought the Blu-ray and it is exceedingly soft.

Anybody?
post #95 of 104 Old 10-23-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Hellraiser 2 from Image doesn't even have subtitles. NONE.
post #96 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Hellraiser 2 from Image doesn't even have subtitles. NONE.

Yeah its really bare bones.

This movie needs a complete remaster...but I don't see that coming in a loooong time. Its one of the most creative horror movies ever made!
post #97 of 104 Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Once I discovered that Image Entertainment has released Hellraiser on Blu-ray with a DTS HD Master Audio soundtrack, I thought for sure that this would be an upgrade from the Anchor Bay release, and that the lack of extras was resulting from higher audio/video bitrates. It turns out that according to you guys, the Image Entertainment edition would not be a good idea. So what's the difference between the US Anchor Bay Hellraiser I and the Japanese edition of Hellraiser I? Do they both have the same video and audio specs? Does the Japanese version have other audio streams, such as PCM or DTS HD Master Audio, in addition to the Dolby TrueHD stream?
post #98 of 104 Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Anybody?

The one HD place that has it has not accepted new memBer sIgnups or given out member inviTeS for a very long time. Don't believe it has even been put on Usenet. So it will be hard to find but rewarding when you do. (not that I'm condoning that ).

Though you shouldn't have to go to all that trouble if only one of the companies would release it properly.
post #99 of 104 Old 01-02-2012, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Do not buy the Image Entertainment editions! I didn't even search for "The Children of the Corn." Here's why. Once I found the specs, it turns out that the "Hellraiser" series was recorded onto a single-layer 25GB Blu-ray disc. Hello? Isn't using single-layer BDs the same as using HD DVDs? I think Image Entertainment knows that, but they can't afford to use the better double-layer Blu-ray discs or something like that. After this research, I will not buy a BD from Image Entertainment until they start taking full advantage of the format! If you're not a fan of sequels (like I'm not), go with the Anchor Bay edition. If you already have it, then don't waste your time on BDs from Image Entertainment! Although the audio specs are better. So I guess if you don't care about your video, then take advantage of the audio if it means that much to you. I have nice speakers and a nice screen. I believe that by playing lower bitrate content that you're not taking advantage of what your equipment can do. If you are a fan of sequels, then make sure the Japan release is multi-region and get the boxed set.
post #100 of 104 Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
It's a 90 minute movie with no extras. A BD-25 is more than enough room for Hellraiser.
post #101 of 104 Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

It's a 90 minute movie with no extras. A BD-25 is more than enough room for Hellraiser.

While 90 minutes might be short, wouldn't putting 90-minute movies on a BD50 give more room for higher A/V bitrates, higher sampling frequencies, and more types of streams?
post #102 of 104 Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

While 90 minutes might be short, wouldn't putting 90-minute movies on a BD50 give more room for higher A/V bitrates, higher sampling frequencies, and more types of streams?

It's not going to give you a better presentation. Maybe more lossless dub's I suppose, but 25 GB is fine for a 90 minute movie (a very dark one at that) with no extras.
post #103 of 104 Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I realize this thread's been idle awhile, but the topic is still apropos and so it makes more sense to reawaken it than to start a new one. I very much like Hellraiser (own the LD and bought the Anchor Bay BD) and am curious about II (haven't seen it). Ran across Hellworld on SyFi Channel and it's clearly a different animal, but ordered the BD since it seemed a reasonable outing with decent picture and sound. My question is whether it really makes sense to purchase the Elite Hellraiser II BD over their DVD -- if only marginal improvement then I'm OK with the DVD. If my best bet is to find an AB DVD, then I'll look into that! TIA smile.gif
post #104 of 104 Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM

I would buy the Australian Hellbound blu-ray, same quality but with extras.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page