Hellraiser Blu-Ray Transfer Anchor Bay vs. Image Entertainment vs. King Records - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hellraiser II looks like an upscale to me, either that or the best DVD ever made

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ess=#vergleich
post #3 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No one yet knows what Image's Hellbound will look like. To my knowledge no early caps or reviews have surfaced. The dvdbeaver review of Image's Hellraiser re-release just went up today. It's bare bones save for the trailer and, going by the specs, has an inferior video encode to Anchor Bay's (19.97Mbps avg/Image vs. 27.96Mbps avg/Anchor Bay). Also, the color scheme has been seriously reddened. I would snag either the US or UK Anchor Bay disc (identical, but I prefer the UK cover art) and for Hellbound, keep your fingers crossed the Image release doesn't look as ****** as the German one in that caps-a-holic comparison above.
Also, (Japanese) customer feedback over on Amazon JP seems to indicate that the films in the King Records set are cut. This is going by comments in the thread for the King Records set over on blu-ray.com.
post #4 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

Alkaline - Thanks for your reply. I was typing when you posted and didn't realize.

On Amazon UK I only see a Hellraiser Blu-Ray from Starz Home Entertainment. Is this the one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hellraiser-B...4921537&sr=8-1

I would also prefer that cover, but as long as it's the same transfer.

Also, it seems like it would be sold by Vida Entertainment and fulfilled by Amazon UK. Since it will be shipping to United States, will this have any problems?

Starz = Anchor Bay. Starz bought them out a few years back, and all BD/DVD releases now contain both Anchor Bay/Starz insignias. I'm still in the habit of just calling em Anchor Bay. The UK disc is identical - same transfer, same audio, same extras, and region free.

Edit: ok, took a look at the amazon listing. What's happened is this is now OOP (like the U.S. Anchor Bay disc), so it's no longer available through amazon directly but only marketplace sellers. If you click where it says "12 new from..." on the product page it will show the list of all dealers selling through amazon. Only the sellers that list "international & domestic delivery rates" in the seller info blurb to the right of each listing offer shipping to the U.S. For example, if you sort by "price + delivery", the very first (cheapest) listing from 'Artdedemains' appears to offer international shipping. So you would just add that copy into your basket and checkout like you would with Amazon U.S. If for some reason you get the message "cannot be delivered to address given", then try the next one in the list that says international shipping.
post #5 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will buy Hellbound regardless of the transfer (as long as it bests the DVD). Many ways better than the first, and the first is an absolute classic.
post #6 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hopefully the Image one is uncut.
post #7 of 104 Old 09-02-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hellbound: Hellraiser II from Image Entertainment is listed as unrated and has a running time of 99 minutes. Here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hellbo...Blu-ray/25017/

This leads me to believe that it's probably going to be very similar to the Anchor Bay's DVD that I have. As long as it's that same cut, but with better picture/sound quality then it's really a no brainer.

Pretty certain Anchor Bay dumped a bunch of their licenses on Image given all the once AB titles upcoming from Image.

Quote:

Now the best presentation of Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth was an uncut UK R2 DVD from Anchor Bay (I own this). This has long been OOP and is kind of rare and hard to find these days. Nothing, I repeat, NO OTHER RELEASE of this film has ever looked better than the Anchor Bay's DVD. It's a shame that this cut/transfer will never see the light of day on Blu-Ray. It seems like Echo Bridge Entertainment has the rights at the moment and who knows what cut and transfer they'll use. If the Blu-Ray ever comes out...

Echo Bridge's Hellraiser 3 DVD is basically LaserDisc quality heavily processed and stretched/squeezed (it's actually taken from Top Ten Media's illegal DVD release in the format's early days)...

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) DVD Comparison - Paramount US vs. Echo Bridge US vs. Anchor Bay UK

Both the Paramount and Anchor Bay crush its quality.
post #8 of 104 Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post

Pretty certain Anchor Bay dumped a bunch of their licenses on Image given all the once AB titles upcoming from Image.

Echo Bridge's Hellraiser 3 DVD is basically LaserDisc quality heavily processed and stretched/squeezed (it's actually taken from Top Ten Media's illegal DVD release in the format's early days)...

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) DVD Comparison - Paramount US vs. Echo Bridge US vs. Anchor Bay UK

Both the Paramount and Anchor Bay crush its quality.

Laserdisc?? More like vhs!
post #9 of 104 Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Laserdisc?? More like vhs!

I read that the Echo Bridge Hellraiser 3 release may have been a copyright infringement because Paramount owns that one in the US. This would explain why they didn't get a better source than an old bootleg DVD. EB's legal department is just as stellar as their transfers.
post #10 of 104 Old 09-03-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post

Yeah, what happened was Image acquired the rights to all New World Pictures-owned titles which had been previously distributed by Anchor Bay. Amongst these in addition to Hellraiser 1/2 are Dead Heat, Heathers, C.H.U.D., Children of the Corn, The Stuff, House 1/2, Creepshow 2, Return To Horror High, Elvira, Slugs, and Return of the Killer Tomatoes--basically all New World titles from 1984-onward. Of those I believe Dead Heat/Heathers are the only two with confirmed upcoming BD releases (re-release in Heathers' case). Shout Factory has the rights to some of their pre-1984 stuff, a few of which they've already released (e.g. Forbidden World, Galaxy of Terror)

Edit: Looks like Children of the Corn also has an Image re-release...due out Tuesday.
post #11 of 104 Old 09-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Bought the Hellraiser UK disc cheap just now from play to be sure to have the best transfer (live in europe so free shipping is nice)

I think the Image Hellbound will look almost or just as soft as the german one and that is hideous

Last hope for 2-3 is the japanese discs!!
post #12 of 104 Old 09-03-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The USA Anchor Bay Hellraiser is still available new via Ebay and Amazon marketplace sellers.

It's still possible to find the Anchor Bay Hellraiser DVDs on Ebay, including the UK 4-disc Collectors edition (even new) and generally the prices aren't ridiculous yet.
post #13 of 104 Old 09-04-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The best Hellraiser 3 solution is get an HD satalite rip like me.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #14 of 104 Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

I have the Hellbound US BD here and it looks like the old Anchor Bay Tin Box DVD only upscaled. The BD has exactly the same digital grain structure like the DVD and doesn't show more detail.
post #15 of 104 Old 09-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

I have the Hellbound US BD here and it looks like the old Anchor Bay Tin Box DVD only upscaled. The BD has exactly the same digital grain structure like the DVD and doesn't show more detail.

So an upscale like the German one above then?
post #16 of 104 Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I want to see screen comparisons. If this is true I'll be sending it back to Amazon, I still have the UK cube set.

Snake Plissken

post #17 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 01:12 AM

The hdtv rip of hellbound looks pretty good. Would be interesting to see matching comparison screens to the blu-ray.

Sucks if they failed big time on Hellbound when they made Hellraiser looking so good.
post #18 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

This shot is from the US BD:
http://forum.cinefacts.de/attachment...hellbound2.jpg

This one is an upscaled shot of the AB Tin Box:
http://forum.cinefacts.de/attachment...iser2-ntsc.jpg
post #19 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

That site wants me to register to see anything, and I no savvy German.

Snake Plissken

post #20 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
post #21 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, the DVD actually looks better. Haven't had that reaction since the UK Escape From New York blu ray. Truly disgusting.

Snake Plissken

post #22 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 PM

So the same upscale? no thanks I can get the dvd for like £1.
Is there a HDTV version?
post #23 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Um, the BD seems to look quite a bit better to my eyes. Lots of detail, better color balance.
post #24 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post

Um, the BD seems to look quite a bit better to my eyes. Lots of detail, better color balance.

I partially agree. I think I slightly prefer the color balance of the BD, but I don't see any increase in detail (I A/B'd the hell out of those two, paying particular attention to the textures on the puzzle box. Couldn't detect any.
post #25 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Forgot I have the satalite rip.
LL

Snake Plissken

post #26 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Would be nice to get some other screen grabs. I think the BD has a hair more detail, but also look how the BD is zoomed in more than the satalite.

Snake Plissken

post #27 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Nevermind, I don't even like the BD's color more. At the top of the cube just left of center there is a "glimmer" that is slightly blown out on the dvd vs. the BD capture, but that may just be due to disparity in frames (appears they're not exact). I prefer the dvd's slightly warmer/more vivid looks.
post #28 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Those two images originated in Germany on a German forum. Why are we so sure that this is from Image Entertainment's Blu-Ray of Hellbound: Hellraiser II?? Image Entertainment is only distributing this in United States. The German Blu-Rays were distributed by Kinowelt, who certainly used a different transfer.

Why would someone in Germany have the American disc before anyone in America? On top of that, Image's discs are region A locked, making all of this extremely unlikely.

Until someone takes screencaps from the Image's Blu-Ray that they actually own, this is not worthy of speculation.

One reason would be that they ordered it from an international retailer that tends to ship out preorders well before release date, such as Planetaxel. It's not only possible but extremely common. This streets tomorrow. It's reasonable there are people who already have it. A quick glance at the thread in question using the automatic translator in google chrome shows that it is in fact the Image release being discussed.
post #29 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:

What good would a region A locked disc be in Germany?

Well, presumably they have a region free player, a region A player imported from these parts (or Asia), are using a computer BD drive, or some combination thereof. Are you kind of new to Blu-ray by chance? It's a serious question, not meant as insult.
post #30 of 104 Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 PM

You know, I see how that last part ('new to blu-ray') may have come off a little pompous of me, even though it wasn't intended to be. Besides, there are plenty of folks who are plenty "into" blu-ray but just not into the whole importing aspect. So sorry if you took offense. But yeah, apparently that German fella got ahold of the U.S. disc and took a few caps. I can't say I'm all that surprised (albeit disappointed), being Image's re-release of the original is so underwhelming. Real bummer Starz/Anchor Bay never got around to cranking out Part II on BD before they lost the rights.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page