Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 309 Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Member
 
DJBeanPole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I still don't get the come into a thread to show how much you hate something mentality.
People nearly died filming that sequence, so he decided not to put more people at risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Yep. But it's so fahionable to "hate" the guy that people just don't see it. Not many can shoot an action scene like him. But nooooo, it's Michael Bay so it's obviously tasteless crap.

All I have to say is:



I for one will be picking this up, like I have the previous TF movies, on release day. I enjoyed the third and found it to actually have the best story of all the movies. I have an overactive imagination and can't get enough of these movies !

What sequence in The Island are you talking about where ppl almost died?

CURRENT OPERATION: 2.0
XBLive!: DJBeanPole
POWERPROGRESS
DJBeanPole is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBeanPole View Post


All I have to say is:

I for one will be picking this up, like I have the previous TF movies, on release day. I enjoyed the third and found it to actually have the best story of all the movies. I have an overactive imagination and can't get enough of these movies !

What sequence in The Island are you talking about where ppl almost died?

http://stardustafrica.wordpress.com/...-transformers/
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #93 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Yep. But it's so fahionable to "hate" the guy that people just don't see it. Not many can shoot an action scene like him. But nooooo, it's Michael Bay so it's obviously tasteless crap.

He may have a lot of stuff happening in his action sequences, but they are edited so poorly and so quickly and have that crazy shakey-cam aspect you can hardly tell what's going on.

There are other directors who have done a much better job sequencing action that's taut and suspenseful and you can still follow what's happening in a logical manner.

Take for instance the famous chase sequences from William Friedkin's The French Connection, or Peter Yate's Bullitt, or John Frankenheimer's Ronin, or any number of shootout sequences in Sergio Leone's westerns.

Michael Bay and his team can be quite sloppy. If they shot and edited their stuff better, then I could then see them as having the potential for great action stunt pieces.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #94 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post


He may have a lot of stuff happening in his action sequences, but they are edited so poorly and so quickly and have that crazy shakey-cam aspect you can hardly tell what's going on.

There are other directors who do a much better job sequencing action that's taut and suspenseful and you can still follow what's happening in a logical manner.

Take for instance the famous chase sequences from William Friedkin's The French Connection, or Peter Yate's Bullitt, or John Frankenheimer's Ronin, or any number of shootout sequences in Sergio Leone's westerns.

Michael Bay and his team can be quite sloppy.

But they are 70's directors making films for that era.
Most 12 y/o's would be bored stupid if you sat them in front of a Leone movie.
He makes loud dumb films and makes money, other directors on the whole love him.
I could spend £50 on a steak, or £5 at Burger King, sometimes I just fancy a Burger King.
Super 8 was my movie of the summer, but I enjoyed TF for what it was.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #95 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 03:01 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
^ Gonna have to disagree with you on this one, Dan. I'm usually a super cool Bay basher, but I happen to think he can and does direct some well done action sequences. His choice of takes, script, plots, etc., make suck ass at times, but his giant robots fighting tend to work for me.

Now, that's not to say that ALL of his action is done properly...but he does get it right a lot of times. IMO, of course.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #96 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
 
RedOctober205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bay is a lazy and sad excuse for a film director. He cares less and less about making a quality film. His focus has become how fat of a check he can expect. Continuity? Bay could care less.
RedOctober205 is offline  
post #97 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

Bay is a lazy and sad excuse for a film director. He cares less and less about making a quality film. His focus has become how fat of a check he can expect. Continuity? Bay could care less.

I'd have to agree. Sometimes he'll surprise you with a few well thought out sequences, but then devolve as if he got bored or his ADD kicked in and said "f--k it" and threw the roll of film in a Cuisinart blender and then slapped it back on the spool.

Armageddeon and TF2 were the ones that really took the cake for "my brain almost crawled out of my ears trying to escape the insultingly banal madness."

MTV music videos, movies are not.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #98 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

But they are 70's directors making films for that era.
Most 12 y/o's would be bored stupid if you sat them in front of a Leone movie.
He makes loud dumb films and makes money, other directors on the whole love him.
I could spend £50 on a steak, or £5 at Burger King, sometimes I just fancy a Burger King.
Super 8 was my movie of the summer, but I enjoyed TF for what it was.

Ronin was released in 1998. A master director is still a master director even if he shot movies in the '50s.

But does my BK Whopper have to insult my intellect as well as I'm eating it?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #99 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I have to say that I've enjoyed some of his films and not others. It all comes down to an interesting plot for me. Transformers 2 just didn't have an interesting story from my point of view. I haven't seen 3, but I'll be buying it blind anyway. His films always sound good on my HT, that's one thing I can be sure of.
d_m1010 is offline  
post #100 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I have to say that I've enjoyed some of his films and not others. It all comes down to an interesting plot for me. Transformers 2 just didn't have an interesting story from my point of view. I haven't seen 3, but I'll be buying it blind anyway. His films always sound good on my HT, that's one thing I can be sure of.

I was like that too when I bought my newest surround processor, speakers, and Blu-ray player... buying a few movies that mainly were orgasms of sight and sound.

But that wore off. I crave a good story and good acting more.

Now, if it's a good story and has reference video and audio, then I'm in Heaven.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #101 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 03:35 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

Bay is a lazy and sad excuse for a film director. He cares less and less about making a quality film. His focus has become how fat of a check he can expect. Continuity? Bay could care less.

And by all accounts, his checks are rather fat. We the public are more to blame than he is.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #102 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 04:15 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post


Ronin was released in 1998. A master director is still a master director even if he shot movies in the '50s.

But does my BK Whopper have to insult my intellect as well as I'm eating it?

I am aware of the release date of Ronin, and I am in no way saying he is a better director.
I went into TF not expecting intelligence, it's odd you did.
Look at the Paul Anderson's one makes more money than the other, means nothing about quality.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #103 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Member
 
netudki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post


Yep. But it's so fahionable to "hate" the guy that people just don't see it. Not many can shoot an action scene like him. But nooooo, it's Michael Bay so it's obviously tasteless crap.

I've seen every movie he made except this TF ,and unfortunately most of his work is garbage,but some has some entertaining value.As a craftsman though, you gotta be kidding me,but I don't hate the guy that would require too much emotions on my part, which I just won't invest into.
netudki is offline  
post #104 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 3,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Whatever. I love MB and his films (well, except for Bad Boys II) as well as Leone and just got my Citizen Kane UCE this week.

My favorite film of his is Pearl Harbor, which I'm convinced his haters will never, ever understand.

He makes very interesting, fun rides.

I'm also going to skip this release and wait for the more full-featured release coming along later.
kucharsk is offline  
post #105 of 309 Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 PM
 
RedOctober205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

My favorite film of his is Pearl Harbor, which I'm convinced his haters will never, ever understand.

No, we will never understand the numerous lazy continuity errors and downright offensive historical falsehoods. It's Pear Harbor...as if directed by a 12 year old who had never been handed a history book.
RedOctober205 is offline  
post #106 of 309 Old 09-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Otter0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post


But does my BK Whopper have to insult my intellect as well as I'm eating it?

Yes, Because your intellect is telling you "eating this can kill me"
Otter0911 is offline  
post #107 of 309 Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raoul_duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

No, we will never understand the numerous lazy continuity errors and downright offensive historical falsehoods. It's Pear Harbor...as if directed by a 12 year old who had never been handed a history book.

Say what what you will, but Pearl Harbor's a comedy masterpiece, IMO.
raoul_duke is offline  
post #108 of 309 Old 09-17-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Say what what you will, but Pearl Harbor's a comedy masterpiece, IMO.

I thought Armageddon was. But, I'll accept that one too.

Now, I don't expect all action movies to be high art, but I do expect them to put some modicum of effort into the script and the film making techniques.

Summer movies should be exciting, but also imaginative, and creative. Not just dumb with loud soundtracks and random orgasms of hyper visual stimuli.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #109 of 309 Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post


I thought Armageddon was. But, I'll accept that one too.

Now, I don't expect all action movies to be high art, but I do expect them to put some modicum of effort into the script and the film making techniques.

Summer movies should be exciting, but also imaginative, and creative. Not just dumb with loud soundtracks and random orgasms of hyper visual stimuli.

To be fair his problem is that he is ALL technique
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #110 of 309 Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
XxDeadlyxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blu-ray.com review is up - this looks like one reference disc all right- as was expected - well, the PQ almost , but the AQ certainly

And High-def Digest too.
XxDeadlyxX is offline  
post #111 of 309 Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Member
 
DJBeanPole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Blu-ray.com review is up - this looks like one reference disc all right- as was expected - well, the PQ almost , but the AQ certainly

And High-def Digest too.

Thanks for your post! Read both reviews and that settles it for me. Buying this release day-1 no need for 3D or extras here!

CURRENT OPERATION: 2.0
XBLive!: DJBeanPole
POWERPROGRESS
DJBeanPole is offline  
post #112 of 309 Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Htdude14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbeanpole View Post

thanks for your post! Read both reviews and that settles it for me. Buying this release day-1 no need for 3d or extras here!

+1
Htdude14 is offline  
post #113 of 309 Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I want the extras personally
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #114 of 309 Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want the 3D
markmathers is offline  
post #115 of 309 Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kalani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I want to wait for the AVS review.

(but I'll probably rent it first, and then buy the fuller release later, once it's out... not for 3D, but for the extras)
Kalani is offline  
post #116 of 309 Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 3,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Say what what you will, but Pearl Harbor's a comedy masterpiece, IMO.

To each their own.

Though I have the BD, the version of the film I prefer is on the Vista Series DVD.

If you want to laugh at it, that's fine; I find it a fine piece of dramatic film making.

Armageddon, on the other hand, is a roller coaster ride on film, though it has its emotional moments as well, particularly if you watch the Director's Cut on the Criterion (sadly non-anamorphic) DVD.
kucharsk is offline  
post #117 of 309 Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Osirus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Armageddon, on the other hand, is a roller coaster ride on film

True enough, I think I did have to vomit after seeing it.
Osirus23 is offline  
post #118 of 309 Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gorthocar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

I want to wait for the AVS review.

(but I'll probably rent it first, and then buy the fuller release later, once it's out... not for 3D, but for the extras)

100 out of a max possible score of 100 on the audio/video rating? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1362191

Bazinga!

gorthocar is offline  
post #119 of 309 Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kalani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

100 out of a max possible score of 100 on the audio/video rating? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1362191

Yeah, I just got finished reading that review, actually. Sweet!

Still, going to rent for now, and purchase the full version with extras later.
Kalani is offline  
post #120 of 309 Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post


100 out of a max possible score of 100 on the audio/video rating? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1362191

Me Gusta!
dvdmike007 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off