Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 309 Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

We live in Canada, a few hours from Arkansas Does it happen setting your player to PCM? He had more dropouts but after updating the firmware, he had only one and it was shorter.
John

I changed it to PCM and tried and no issues. Isn't PCM where the player decodes and audiophile is where avr decodes it? If thats the difference I don't understand why it skips on audiophile. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with my avr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 309 Old 10-01-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post

I changed it to PCM and tried and no issues. Isn't PCM where the player decodes and audiophile is where avr decodes it? If thats the difference I don't understand why it skips on audiophile. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with my avr.

PCM is uncompressed as is bitstreaming. There is no difference whether the player or receiver does the decoding. Change back and forth if you like, there won't be a diff.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #183 of 309 Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

PCM is uncompressed as is bitstreaming. There is no difference whether the player or receiver does the decoding. Change back and forth if you like, there won't be a diff.
John

But why would I have the audio issues when set to audiophile and not have the audio issues when set to PCM?
post #184 of 309 Old 10-01-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post

But why would I have the audio issues when set to audiophile and not have the audio issues when set to PCM?

There can be a variety of reasons.

What is your player and AVR? And

What kind of cables are you using?

Do you have a 7.1 setup?

These can all be clues in trying to help you figure it out.
post #185 of 309 Old 10-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

No worries! Thanks anyway

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #186 of 309 Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

There can be a variety of reasons.

What is your player and AVR? And

What kind of cables are you using?

Do you have a 7.1 setup?

These can all be clues in trying to help you figure it out.

My player is Samsung and Denon AVR-1912 with monoprice 1.4 cables. I'm running front height 7.1.

Never had an issue before and the first 2 hours and 14 min of transformers 3 was fine. The dropouts sound like a scratched disc, it doesn't stay without audio but maybe a second it less then works fine for a min or then starts again.
post #187 of 309 Old 10-01-2011, 10:45 PM

I was always under the impression bitstream was better if you had a good AVR because the AVR's decoder would be a lot better than a $150 blu-ray players decoder.
post #188 of 309 Old 10-01-2011, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian007 View Post

I was always under the impression bitstream was better if you had a good AVR because the AVR's decoder would be a lot better than a $150 blu-ray players decoder.

That's not the case at all

Lossless decoders, by definition, must decode the same PCM on output that went into the encoder.

It's like saying a $5000 PC is better at unzipping a word document than a netbook.

In addition, there are only a couple of decoder solutions out there. These are shared among BR players and AVR's alike.
post #189 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

To have it less than 2 months earlier? No thanks.

I also don't like the precedence this is setting.

I'll wait for the special edition. I don't need it that badly. There are other movies to watch.

What precedent, though?

The one with barebones release followed by a release later w/ bonuses?

OR

A release with extras ONLY if you buy the 3D version?

From what the coupon in my copy seemed to imply... the only way to get the extras would be to buy the 3D version... and for me that's a no go, because I don't have a compatible 3DTV, nor 3D Blu-ray... so I wouldn't want to pay extra for the 3D that I can't use.

I think either precedent might be bad... but the latter bothers me more.

A barebones, followed by extra bonuses is at least something I can choose whether or not I want the extras and save money... but choosing between barebones OR extras w/ 3D is a poor choice to me since my choice would no longer be for extras or not, as I would be forced to pay for a 3D disc that I can't even use.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #190 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 AM

not sure if this has been mentioned but has anybody had the same digital breakup (or whatever its called) like the ones in Attack Of The Clones? i had it about 45 minutes in when Sam pulls up outside the base and demands to be let in......I have a Panasonic player................
post #191 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 AM

Liked: 12
Wtf is up with all the accents? I thought they were from cybertron? They've got ghetto bots scottish o'hearly trons and proper english prime. I never realized cybertron was such a cultural melting pot. Actually I did notice but it really kind of bothered me tonight. The unnecesary objectifacation of women was a bit over the top in the first half of the movie as well. What purpose does mctardy fatlip's ass have to to do with an alien race of robots trying to save the world? I thought this was for children as well? It had absolutely no reason to even be in the movie. It was an exceptional surround mix though and I will watch the last 45 mins quite a few times I imagine.
post #192 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

That's not the case at all

Lossless decoders, by definition, must decode the same PCM on output that went into the encoder.

Well that's good to know

My blu-ray player outputs bit-stream so it's nice when my amp lights up TrueHD or DTS MA
post #193 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROMHEAD View Post

not sure if this has been mentioned but has anybody had the same digital breakup (or whatever its called) like the ones in Attack Of The Clones? i had it about 45 minutes in when Sam pulls up outside the base and demands to be let in......I have a Panasonic player................

Yeah, I posted about this earlier in this thread. There's a significant problem in at least two spots on the disc where the picture severely breaks up and pixilates for barely a second much like the glitch on the Matrix Revolutions Blu-ray. The audio is unaffected. The glitch occurs at 5:03 and at 45:37 (the same spot you mention w/Sam at the Base). It happened on both my players (Panny BD30 and BD55) at the same spot. Both players are updated with current firmware and the issue repeats even when the player has been restarted.
post #194 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Yeah, I posted about this earlier in this thread. There's a significant problem in at least two spots on the disc where the picture severely breaks up and pixilates for barely a second much like the glitch on the Matrix Revolutions Blu-ray. The audio is unaffected. The glitch occurs at 5:03 and at 45:37 (the same spot you mention w/Sam at the Base). It happened on both my players (Panny BD30 and BD55) at the same spot. Both players are updated with current firmware and the issue repeats even when the player has been restarted.

my player is a BD50 and like i said i had the problem on Attack of the clones...the current firmware is at least 2 years old now.......i have not had this problem on any of the the 300 discs i own.......strange this has happend twice in the last 3 weeks......................
post #195 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

I played on Oppo 95 with no issues at all.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #196 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

Just finished watching Transformers: DOTM. All I can say is WOW! I saw at an Imax 3D theater and I enjoyed more at home on my HT. This has got to be the best audio demo blu-ray to be released yet. Absolutely outstanding!

I just watched a rental bluray, and had no glitches either audio or video with an Oppo 83 bitstreamed to a Pioneer 94TXH. I was very impresed with the look and sound of this chapter. I didn't much care for the second one and did like the first enough to buy it. The story in "Dark of the Moon" was good enough to hold my interest so I could enjoy the eye and ear candy.

Definitely a good time in my 7.1 system with dual subs!

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #197 of 309 Old 10-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilesone View Post

Wtf is up with all the accents? I thought they were from cybertron? They've got ghetto bots scottish o'hearly trons and proper english prime. I never realized cybertron was such a cultural melting pot. Actually I did notice but it really kind of bothered me tonight. The unnecesary objectifacation of women was a bit over the top in the first half of the movie as well. What purpose does mctardy fatlip's ass have to to do with an alien race of robots trying to save the world? I thought this was for children as well? It had absolutely no reason to even be in the movie. It was an exceptional surround mix though and I will watch the last 45 mins quite a few times I imagine.

As Optimus Prime mentioned in the first film, they learned their language and character from the world wide web.
post #198 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfreak View Post

As Optimus Prime mentioned in the first film, they learned their language and character from the world wide web.

Also... for anyone who watched the original cartoon series many years ago... they had lots of colorful characters with different accents.

So they are being true to the original concepts really.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #199 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Also... for anyone who watched the original cartoon series many years ago... they had lots of colorful characters with different accents.

So they are being true to the original concepts really.

My daughter watched it this weekend, *cough* in french (from quebec so when she does that I have to get mentally prepared)... Guess what? at some point one of the autobots (can't remember which one but it's not -thank goodness!- one of the main characters) speaks with a quebec accent. This is beyond ridiculous. I wasn't watching it but as soon as I heard it, I told her to switch the audio to english immediately. I'm not kidding it was truly awful. So she settled for the french subtitles instead. So now I have one more argument for watching movies ONLY in their original language.
post #200 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Watched the BD over the weekend with Sony BDP-S350 and Denon 2309CI. No problems with either PQ or AQ.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #201 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Watched the BD over the weekend with Sony BDP-S350 and Denon 2309CI. No problems with either PQ or AQ.

I watched it Friday night with a Panny BD35. No problems... who knows, though, maybe I looked away at just the wrong time and missed the glitch. I'll try to remember to throw it in again and check those two spots in particular.
post #202 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
No video issues, but one dropout using bitstreaming on oppo BD 83. No dropout using LPCM from oppo.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #203 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I finished watching this today, and like the other two it could have been much better if it was about 45 minutes shorter and got rid of the lame attempts at humor. I mean seriously, what paying customer goes to see a movie like this thinking "oh man I hope they spend about half the movie on some self-serving douche going to job interviews in between arguing with his parents and his girlfriend?" Come on, get to the fighting robots already!

I guess it's a little better than Revenge of the Fallen but not nearly as fun as the first movie. I have to admit that the eye- and ear-candy were great, though.

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
post #204 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Liked: 11
Watched it last night and what a PQ and AQ show. The movie was hard to follow at times and really didn't make a lot of sense in some parts, but it was a good popcorn flick. Sams new girlfriend was a real piece of eye candy.

One of the side benefits of the no extras was also no Java BS. This disc loaded up in about 15 seconds and was ready to play. Just nice to not have to deal with the issues and just watch the movie. Some of us actually just want to watch a glitch free HD film. No problems on my Denon 3800.
post #205 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For me the issue I have is they frickin skimped out on the digital copy users!! Instead of the norm method of having the digital copy included on hard media, they make you download the WHOLE thing! I mean sheesh, you couldn't spend the additional $.28 per package to include a hardcopy of the digital? SMH.

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #206 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post

For me the issue I have is they frickin skimped out on the digital copy users!! Instead of the norm method of having the digital copy included on hard media, they make you download the WHOLE thing! I mean sheesh, you couldn't spend the additional $.28 per package to include a hardcopy of the digital? SMH.

I think that's the way it's going now...they did the same thing with the Bridesmaids digital copy.
post #207 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post

watched it last night and what a pq and aq show. The movie was hard to follow at times and really didn't make a lot of sense in some parts, but it was a good popcorn flick. Sams new girlfriend was a real piece of eye candy.

one of the side benefits of the no extras was also no java bs. This disc loaded up in about 15 seconds and was ready to play. Just nice to not have to deal with the issues and just watch the movie. Some of us actually just want to watch a glitch free hd film. No problems on my denon 3800.

+1000

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #208 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post

... Sams new girlfriend was a real piece of eye candy.

One of the side benefits of the no extras was also no Java BS. This disc loaded up in about 15 seconds and was ready to play. Just nice to not have to deal with the issues and just watch the movie. Some of us actually just want to watch a glitch free HD film. No problems on my Denon 3800.

Wasn't she in the last movie as well?
Good to know about the quick start on the no frills disc I want one.
post #209 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 06:26 PM

I'm actually having some huge problems with the audio on the disc. Using my Panny 210 with the current firmware (2.70 I believe) and with the older firmware (2.68) the audio is clipping and clicking when I am sending it to my Denon 4308 using Bitstream. I tried some other discs I have in Dolby 7.1 and there were no issues with it. When I changed it to PCM, it worked just fine, no problems what so ever. Anyone else have a problem like this?

Oh, and I tried two different discs, just to make sure Amazon didn't send me a bad one.
post #210 of 309 Old 10-03-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 601
It worked fine with my Denon 3808.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List