Star Wars Blu-Ray Release Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This thread looks to be heading towards the same direction as the one that was recently closed. I thought this one was specifically for the technical elements of these releases and not the content?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloco View Post

Hayden is as stiff as a board. At least Mark displays emotions throughout all three flicks. Go watch Shattered Glass and you'll see what I'm talking about...his line delivery is just awful. Same goes for the prequels.

Nah, he just need a decent director. He has to be the most undeserved bad rep in hollywood. He aitn awesome or anything but he's not bad and he at least doesn't seem like an ahole.

Star wars is no judge of acting talent. The scripts are bad and George himself has said in the past he is bad at directing actors.

All you have to see to know how bad george actually is is look at Samuel L. He was by far the worst acting of a semi main character in the new star wars. How did that happen. Same with Portman. She was horrid. All George.

If you honestly think Hayden was bad in shattered glass your just plain biased against him. thats fine its your opinion but most reviews for him on that movie were quite good.
post #363 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

I never said it did. I'm just talking about the duels themselves. And I am still not a fan of JEDI. I think it's a badly made, lazy film. From day 1 as a kid I was shocked that that muppet, teddy bear, toy commercial with mostly phoned in perfs is what we got after the artistic high mark of Empire.

Sith IMHO is much better.
Nostalgia doesn't make all of the OT better either.

+1000x

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #364 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Ok. We should stay on topic. I'm very psyched to get the set tomorrow.
Anyone choosing Best Buy over Target for the shirt?

Oh and Hammil is great, I saw him play Mozart on Broadway in the 80's and he was excellent.

But then again, I really though Hayden was great in Shattered Glass. I just think for the PT, Lucas considered the actors as nothing more than props and only the real seasoned imaginative actors like McGregor, Neeson and McDiarmind could act through all the FX. Lucas reportedly asking his actors to reign it in didn't help either.
post #365 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

That's strangle mesmerizing (and better than watching AotC).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #366 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Nah, he just need a decent director. He has to be the most undeserved bad rep in hollywood. He aitn awesome or anything but he's not bad and he at least doesn't seem like an ahole.

Star wars is no judge of acting talent. The scripts are bad and George himself has said in the past he is bad at directing actors.

All you have to see to know how bad george actually is is look at Samuel L. He was by far the worst acting of a semi main character in the new star wars. How did that happen. Same with Portman. She was horrid. All George.

If you honestly think Hayden was bad in shattered glass your just plain biased against him. thats fine its your opinion but most reviews for him on that movie were quite good.

All fair points but nothing was different 30 years ago. George was a mute on the THX set but the actors, especially Robert Duvall, took charge and developed their characters, details, and dialog on their own. The same for Star Wars. Carrie Fisher told George that he could "write that **** but not say it". And don't say George had no say then - he was the writer/director of the most profitable movie of all time, American Graffiti.

It boils down to the difference between generations of actors. The 60s and 70s actors had brains AND balls (and Carrie Fisher probably more than any male on set) whereas the 90s and the last decade produced whimps who listen to any direction, be it as stupid as it might.

Of course, on the topic of balls, it would have helped to have Marcia Lucas around as well to tell George how stupid some of his writing and editing was. That influence already was pretty much lost during Jedi and combined with a Carrie Fisher zonked out of her mind and Harrison Ford giving up his characters tragic arc without much of a fight doomed Star Wars to be teddy bear central going foward. Quite frustrating considering the masterpieces New Hope and even more so Empire were.

Having said all of that, someday someone will convince George to restore the originals. For his legacy, for his foundation, whatever it will be but he will come around.
post #367 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

Oh and Hammil is great, I saw him play Mozart on Broadway in the 80's and he was excellent.

Can't speak for any other projects, but I always thought he did quite well in ANH and Empire. He lost me a little bit with the "cool" Jedi bit in RotJ, though.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #368 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Yay, Amazon order status has finally changed to "shipping soon."

Wonder if I'll still have it by tomorrow.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #369 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Can't speak for any other projects, but I always thought he did quite well in ANH and Empire. He lost me a little bit with the "cool" Jedi bit in RotJ, though.

Yeah. I dug what he was trying to to but it didn't suit him best. Like Shatner or DeForrest Kelley trying to play a Vulcan. It takes a rare actor of immense skill to be virtually emotionless and often physically motionless yet be interesting like Nimoy or Liam Neeson. Hammil is much better at the end of Jedi when he loses it.
post #370 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

He needed to be allowed to use his own ideas on Luke for Jedi, Kurtz let him do just that as an F-you to Lucas in Slipstream.
post #371 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 AM

My Amazon order is out for delivery Will get it this afternoon. I am going to watch it 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. Can't wait!
post #372 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

I am watching the Harmy versions now, changes aside they look miles more natural than the blurays even at 720p
post #373 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood Floyd View Post
It boils down to the difference between generations of actors. The 60s and 70s actors had brains AND balls (and Carrie Fisher probably more than any male on set) whereas the 90s and the last decade produced whimps who listen to any direction, be it as stupid as it might.
Yes but also, in 1977, George Lucas wasn't exactly the same George Lucas as today's. I don't mean that in a bad way though, it's just that 30 years later, George Lucas has become the Star Wars mogul that few people would dare to question. Particularly the younger actors imo. Back then they were all the same age and they were all trying to get the movie done, that was quite a different situation I guess. GL didn't have the same authority as he has today.

...That said, I know I didn't want to buy this set at some point but now I can't wait and I'm ready for my weekend marathon! So I guess George won once agin!
post #374 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo

Yes but also, in 1977, George Lucas wasn't exactly the same George Lucas as today's. I don't mean that in a bad way though, it's just that 30 years later, George Lucas has become the Star Wars mogul that few people would dare to question. Particularly the younger actors imo. Back then they were all the same age and they were all trying to get the movie done, that was quite a different situation I guess. GL didn't have the same authority as he has today.
Exactly
post #375 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
I don't know about that; no matter whether it's your first film or 50th, if you as the director don't control your actors your project may well be doomed.
post #376 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Sith IMHO is much better.
Nostalgia doesn't make all of the OT better either.
Ironic since ROTS is largely made up of OT imagery.
post #377 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood Floyd

All fair points but nothing was different 30 years ago. George was a mute on the THX set but the actors, especially Robert Duvall, took charge and developed their characters, details, and dialog on their own. The same for Star Wars. Carrie Fisher told George that he could "write that **** but not say it". And don't say George had no say then - he was the writer/director of the most profitable movie of all time, American Graffiti.

Of course, on the topic of balls, it would have helped to have Marcia Lucas around as well to tell George how stupid some of his writing and editing was.
Incidentally I just watched THX1138 blu ray extra documentary: The Early Years of American Zoetrope in which the ever optimistic Coppola encouraged GL to write a screenplay. At the end he concluded GL can't do screenplay.

Think he's actually a cinematographer. Marcia's edit really helped a lot.
post #378 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My order has shipped! I can't wait to get this tomorrow!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #379 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Gentle reminder as this title gets in the hands of the public, this thread will need to focus on the transfer etc. This thread is not for a analysis of Lucas carreer. It's dedicated to the release of the Blu Ray set.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
post #380 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster
Gentle reminder as this title gets in the hands of the public, this thread will need to focus on the transfer etc. This thread is not for a analysis of Lucas carreer. It's dedicated to the release of the Blu Ray set.
Very true. Ok. I was one chiming in before and no more.
Anyone think they will sell out of these at Target? They open at 8am but I sure ad hell don't want to shlep all the way there then, (one hour trip)
post #381 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 120
You know, it would be great after Friday's relative to the quality of sound and picture is to include specific references of what is seen and/or heard (or not seen or heard). Textures, palettes, a specific sound, etc. For example, I was watching Iron Man last night and when Stark confronted Stain on the steps of the gala while having their picture taken I noticed the lapels of their jackets visible only during the camera flashes. Should they be visible without the flashes? If so, is it my tv or the transfer? I'm not necessarily asking this question but just giving an example of the type of detailed discussion I personally enjoy. Just a suggestion.
post #382 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Anyone think they will sell out of these at Target? They open at 8am but I sure ad hell don't want to shlep all the way there then, (one hour trip)
Doubtful. I certainly expect to grab a copy around 1230-100pm tomorrow when I get out of work. If the local BestBuy is selling it for $79.99+t-shirt, I may go there. At worst, I may miss out on the free swag.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #383 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970

Doubtful. I certainly expect to grab a copy around 1230-100pm tomorrow when I get out of work. If the local BestBuy is selling it for $79.99+t-shirt, I may go there. At worst, I may miss out on the free swag.
Agreed even though this set has been heavily pre ordered I don't see an issue with getting a copy release day, unless Fox decided to purposely short the initial shipment. The only thing people will have a tough time finding is the free swag.
post #384 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
I really don't expect that but my response is based on where I live (St. Louis) and the number of Target's and Walmart's and Best Buy's around. I have 3 of each all within 20 minutes from me. However, I've posted before that if you live in an area with fewer options then things could get tight. All 3 of these stores are 10 minutes from my house. Because of that I'm wondering if there will be a midnight sale but they haven't said there will be. I normally wouldn't do that but I'm able to this particular time and only because it's the SW BD release I'd do it. Otherwise I'll be going first thing as well. And right now I'm thinking Target for the lithos. If my kids were closer in size I'd consider BB for the t-shirt.
post #385 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM

The Best Buy in Union Square in NYC is having a midnight sale tonight for the SW Blu-ray. I'm gonna be having a viewing marathon this weekend and gonna be viewing them 1-6 like I always have.
post #386 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yeah, I agree. You'll see copies of this Blu Ray every where, and I don't envision this will be sold out like a launch day game console. The average person is probably fine with their DVD copy.
post #387 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966
Yeah, I agree. You'll see copies of this Blu Ray every where, and I don't envision this will be sold out like a launch day game console. The average person is probably fine with their DVD copy.
Looking at the screenshot comparisons they should be!

Do we want user reviews added to the OP? Or just professional ones?
post #388 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I've never watched the bonus disc that came with Star Wars IV-VI DVD collection, watched partly last weekend with the kids.
I was confused at the Star Wars III: Return of Darth Vader thing. Obviously George Lucas changed the name to Revenge of Sith at last minute, after those discs made.....

Will these Blu-rays keep that or change it??

Other:
This Italian poster sruck me as 70's sexy themed

And my heritage Poland poster (my family came from there mid 1870's)

and these
Young Anakin overlay

Anakin going evil
post #389 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex
I've never watched the bonus disc that came with Star Wars IV-VI DVD collection, watched partly last weekend with the kids.
I was confused at the Star Wars III: Return of Darth Vader thing. Obviously George Lucas changed the name to Revenge of Sith at last minute, after those discs made.....

Will these Blu-rays keep that or change it??

Other:
This Italian poster sruck me as 70's sexy themed

And my heritage Poland poster (my family came from there mid 1870's)

and these
Young Anakin overlay

Anakin going evil
Return of darth vader was the name of the doc not the film.
post #390 of 2407 Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post
I am watching the Harmy versions now, changes aside they look miles more natural than the blurays even at 720p
I would LOVE to see screenshot comparisons!

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page