Star Wars Blu-Ray Release Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #541 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My recollection is the SW definitive Ld set suffered from laser rot.....?
But I agree- when the UPS arrived with a fresh shipment from Ken Crane- it was always a major event!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Lol. I bought a new lamp for my pj. Time to make the jump to light speed.

WHAT?? Waboman, are you telling me that new fancy lamp can't make your pj go at ludicrous speed ??
post #543 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Im not entirely sure I'll be able to sleep tonight.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #544 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Holy hell. I just looked on Amazon and hadn't realized the reviews on this box set were down to two stars. Dedicated following these movies appear to have, huh...especially since a small fraction (if that) have seen them.

don't underestimate the power of the nerd rage
post #545 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

But I agree- when the UPS arrived with a fresh shipment from Ken Crane- it was always a major event!

That was the good old days. I used to drive an hour and a half on Saturdays to the closet city that sold LD's just to pick up a new release. Back then a new release was a big deal. Now you just have it delivered on release day. Not that the convenience isn't appreciated, but I kind of miss the magic sometimes of having to make a big deal out of getting a new movie. Still remember the day I drove up there to get the $250 Star Wars box set.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #546 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I'll be at my local Wal-Mart for their 7am opening to pick up my copy. $84.93 CAD for the saga set.

$69 at London Drugs.
post #547 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

... Now looking at the original trilogy not so much. The dvd's done by Lowry are some of the most stunning I have ever seen. Easily 5 star material for the time in 2004 for PQ. Since the blurays are the same 7 year old masters with minor tweaks based off 1.9K scans unfortunately the upgrade is moderate at best. The real shame is for a dvd set that made $100 million during it's first day of release 4K scans and transfers really should have been done and were easily affordable considering the profit margin. The difference would have been far more apparent and many of the effects shots were redone for the 2004 dvd anyway! Meaning they could have been redone properly at 4K with the other effects upscaled. ...

This is why I'm upset. I probably would have been able to get over the tweaks, changes, etc. Recycling an inadequate transfer for arguably the greatest movies in my Lifetime (OT) is what's keeping my money in my pocket.

Quote:

It appears we have to wait for the eventual 3-D release of the OT 2015-17 and the bluray release to see these titles looking thier best.

I'm afraid to ask if we'll even get the 2D versions or if it'll be 3D only.
Crossing Fingers that we get a new Transfer in 2D!

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #548 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROMHEAD View Post

Yes i know what you mean.Don't get me wrong the soundtrack on Episode III is still excellent.Just a little underwhelming after being blown out of my seat by the first 2
I would love to know why it was done this way.Im sure the same people who worked on the sound design for the first 2 would have worked on this one.Makes little sense.

Gary Rydstrom. That IS the reason why the mix for Revenge of the Sith is underwhelming, compared to Menace and Clones. It wasn't a theater problem, the DVD or isn't the blu-ray. He is the god of sound mixing and he did mix TPM and AOTC. His mixes made your ears hurt in a good way! Rydstrom left Skywalker Sound in 2003 to go work at Pixar as a director, so that meant a new mixer for ROTS. I might be wrong, but Sith was the only SW film to NOT get an Oscar nomination in either one of the sound categories.
post #549 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

I'm leaving for Kansas City tomorrow afternoon after I get back from class.
Amazon is supposed to have my package delivered tomorrow. I hope it's in the mailbox before I leave, if not I have to worry about it until Saturday night when I get back!!

There's an 80's show in KC that my wife wanted to go to. Human League and Men Without Hats. So Friday night while all of you are experiencing the force in hi-def, I'll be doing the Safety Dance.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #550 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

don't underestimate the power of the nerd rage

Don't underestimate the power of edge enhancement and DNR either, especially when both are used at the same time

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #551 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are there any screencap comparions for the OT when it comes to the HDTV vs. the BD versions?

Not intersted in the PT.
post #552 of 2425 Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Im not entirely sure I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Neither am I.

At this moment, on the West Coast, it is a 1/2 hour before Judgement Day.
My Will is notarized, instructions for body disposal written down, nothing left but The Waiting....

Should I never post on the Forum again, I want to say: Guys, it has been fun.
And hope all of you have learned from my tragic example...

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #553 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 AM

Morning to the US and if you are buying the set today,be prepared because some of you are going to have problems, mostly audio ones, when you get this home today. This is true if you have a surround system and use Bitstream out on your BR player to your amp to decode.

This won't be true of all of the hardware configurations out there, but back in England we have reporting issues all week. Of course being in England we would expect no support on the issue whatsoever, so we are looking to the US to cause a stink and get this resolved.

I actually have the imported US set (not the UK one) although it appears that the disks are the same in the US and UK with regards to this problem.

Using an example disc, "Episode IV A New Hope", the following happens with the audio...

(1) At the titles, when "A long time ago..." appears on the screen, a lot of cracking and popping can be heard from the rear channels.

(2) At the start of Chapter 16, two audio dropouts occur within the space of 2 seconds (as a star destroyer moves towards the Death Star)

These are the ones I have found so far, but there are others scattered around. The equipment I have and have tested it against are...

Sony STR-DA5300 Amp
Sony BDP-S370 BR Player (connect via HDMI to the amp on a dedicated input)
Sony PS3 UK Slim (connected via HDMI to the amp on a dedicated input)

If I select the players to output as Linear PCM the problem goes away, so it seems that there is a problem with the DTS-MA Bitstream (i.e. passing your audio unencoded to the amp for decoding) on some amps.

There are other reports against Denon and Samsung equipment also, and there appears to be other issues with the Bonus discs (slow loading, screens going black etc.)

Before anyone asks, yes firmware is updated etc. and no other reported audio problems with the setup detected in the last few years of use.

So, good luck and see how it goes for you.
post #554 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Neither am I.

My Will is notarized, instructions for body disposal written down, nothing left but The Waiting....

BTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
The only sound we will hear is sound of oink's light sabre...

Mark Techer

post #555 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post

$69 at London Drugs.

Crikey, that's an excellent price (!) -- $10 cheaper than Bestbuy or F/S ... if you're right, kudos for the tip

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #556 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishbob View Post

So, good luck and see how it goes for you.

The only "problems" in the actual movies I have experienced so far are extremely slow loading times (my Phillips player generally loads faster than an OPPO) and for some reason, the player does want to eject after playing the film.

I did get some weird stuff happening in the menus for the extra stuff the first time I loaded them. On a 2nd watch, the were no issues.

Mark Techer

post #557 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 01:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

Why bother? A few of you have already judged these without viewing the discs themselves and hit the AVS highlight reel bullet-points.
  • DNR
  • Old scans
  • Screenshots

It's a little late to start asking questions now. You've already selected your answers.

Well, I have seen these discs because they've been out here since Monday, and I can honestly say where the OT is concerned... I'm really quite disappointed. They really don't distinguish themselves much from the DVDs. Yes, they've done a minute amount of fixing, but some of the problems that afflicted the DVDs look worse on the Blu-ray - fixed grain patterns (certain outdoor shots make this very obvious), low detail in many shots, obvious edge enhancement and DNR in places. It isn't a Traffic-level transfer, but it's far from a stellar one, either.

When old films like South Pacific are restored to such beautiful quality on Blu-ray and sell in far fewer numbers, it really is an outright travesty that huge blockbuster classics like Star Wars and Back To The Future get such shoddy treatment.
post #558 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Time and their take:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/15/...rs-fans-wrath/

Excellent article! Thanks for the link.

Mark
post #559 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

Well, I have seen these discs because they've been out here since Monday, and I can honestly say where the OT is concerned... I'm really quite disappointed.

I got mine Wednesday morning and I 2nd the above comment. TESB is my favorite of the 6 films and it seems it got the worst transfer of the OT. So far I have watched I, IV, V and VI and for all the hype surrounding the release and the time supposedly invested in the restoration, sorry, I really expected more. I'll watch the two digital captures (II and III) tonight.

Mark Techer

post #560 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

So it seems again the persistent "rumours" are true. Lesson for the "I'll believe it when I see it" folks?

Glad I'll not get another star wars until the theatrical OT are restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Neither am I.

you don't have to do it. There's no honor to die for shabbiness
post #561 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Excellent article! Thanks for the link.

Mark

Wow. Time Magazi e
post #562 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones View Post

Gary Rydstrom. That IS the reason why the mix for Revenge of the Sith is underwhelming, compared to Menace and Clones. It wasn't a theater problem, the DVD or isn't the blu-ray. He is the god of sound mixing and he did mix TPM and AOTC. His mixes made your ears hurt in a good way! Rydstrom left Skywalker Sound in 2003 to go work at Pixar as a director, so that meant a new mixer for ROTS. I might be wrong, but Sith was the only SW film to NOT get an Oscar nomination in either one of the sound categories.

SOUNDS like you hit the nail on the head.I listened to SITH again last night and it really is crap lol compared to the first two....................
post #563 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones View Post

Sith sounded fine theatrically
post #564 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 AM

Digital Bits review:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...ews091611.html

Bill Hunt's done a detailed and honest analysis about all the problems with this release - but I didn't think he'd be anything less than up front. His thoughts really sum it all up - the films don't look terrible on Blu-ray, but they could have looked a lot, lot better if more time, money and care were put into them.
post #565 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Digital Bits review:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...ews091611.html

Bill Hunt's done a detailed and honest analysis about all the problems with this release - but I didn't think he'd be anything less than up front. His thoughts really sum it all up - the films don't look terrible on Blu-ray, but they could have looked a lot, lot better if more time, money and care were put into them.

First time he and I have ever agreed, and yet he still says that "by far the best they have ever looked at home"
Reviewers saying that is such a cop out.
He also does not mention the banding and EE on TPM.

Actually in re-reading, he makes a ton of assumptions, something a writer let alone a reviewer should not do.
We don't agree all is right in the world again.
post #566 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

First time he and I have ever agreed, and yet he still says that "by far the best they have ever looked at home"
Reviewers saying that is such a cop out

I think "by far" is rather hyperbolic, but it is true that it's the best they've looked at home. But then any Blu-ray that isn't mastered from a DVD resolution master (*cough*TRAFFIC*cough*) is going to look better simply because it's presented in a much higher resolution!

I didn't notice a lot of EE going on in TPM when I watched it except in a very few select shots - a long shot of Naboo springs to mind, plus a couple of facial shots, and the odd shot occasionally. It was very random and hard to explain why it would even be there in the first place when most of the film was alright.
post #567 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think "by far" is rather hyperbolic, but it is true that it's the best they've looked at home. But then any Blu-ray that isn't mastered from a DVD resolution master (*cough*TRAFFIC*cough*) is going to look better simply because it's presented in a much higher resolution!

I didn't notice a lot of EE going on in TPM when I watched it except in a very few select shots - a long shot of Naboo springs to mind, a couple of facial shots. It was very random and hard to explain why it would even be there in the first place.

But it is there and no mention of the EE our banding, and the movies barely look better than the HDTV versions, in fact the contrast on Sith was better on the HDTV.
So by far is a massive leap, more so considering he mentions the HDTV versions.
He also misses the over scan issues.
But in saying that it reads like any other bog standard review.
post #568 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:

But it is there and no mention of the EE our banding, and the movies barely look better than the HDTV versions, in fact the contrast on Sith was better on the HDTV.
So by far is a massive leap, more so considering he mentions the HDTV versions.
He also misses the over scan issues.
But in saying that it reads like any other bog standard review.

Actually, what you say rings true when you bring HDTV broadcasts into the equation, which I wasn't thinking about (I watch very little TV and I don't bother with HD services).

Really, these sets represent little better (except larger bitrate) than HDTV broadcasts, and even then seem to have fared a little worse in other respects.

If you're coming from formats you could legally own (i.e. not rip/download) then obviously the Blu-ray set represents a reasonable improvement.
post #569 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sith sounded fine theatrically

If fine means flat and lifeless then I agree. Out of all the screwups in the history of Star Wars the soundtrack for ROTS is the most puzzling.
post #570 of 2425 Old 09-16-2011, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

If fine means flat and lifeless then I agree. Out of all the screwups in the history of Star Wars the soundtrack for ROTS is the most puzzling.

It had a ton more bass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page