Star Wars Blu-Ray Release Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericthemidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Double dip down the line

3D releases in 5 years will have the better scans. And then you will the the OOT in Blu but in mono
Ericthemidget is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I don't go in for a sort of conspiracy theory approach "We'll deliberately let this one look crappy so we can sell the next one as looking better."

That type of logic didn't work well for Sony and it's first Fifth Element release. It brought more shame and embarrassment for them than I think would have been worth deliberately undermining the quality of the first release. (I'm not saying Sony did it deliberately in the first release...they more than likely just "blew it." But the results don't support the idea that deliberately putting out substandard transfers as a way of seducing people into later product is a wise or typical business approach. It is more likely to generate bad will, than it is to generate more sales).
R Harkness is offline  
post #723 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I don't go in for a sort of conspiracy theory approach "We'll deliberately let this one look crappy so we can sell the next one as looking better."

That type of logic didn't work well for Sony and it's first Fifth Element release. It brought more shame and embarrassment for them than I think would have been worth deliberately undermining the quality of the first release. (I'm not saying Sony did it deliberately in the first release...they more than likely just "blew it." But the results don't support the idea that deliberately putting out substandard transfers as a way of seducing people into later product is a wise or typical business approach. It is more likely to generate bad will, than it is to generate more sales).

It's not like its Gladiator bad, or bad at all for that matter. It's good enough to have the fanboys rush out to buy it and feel relatively satisfied, but leaves enough room for improvement that they'll run out and buy it again once they do a full restoration, include the unaltered films, and fix the colors. I think that theory is right on the money, personally, and fully expect another release a few years down the road.
42041 is offline  
post #724 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Scamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

No you are correct. There is only one correct viewing order. 4,5,6,1,2,3. Any other order breaks order and ruins plot the way its laid out and meant to be seen.

If you were showing it to someone who never saw it before(god forbid) you would be doing them a great injustice by anything other than 4,5,6,1,2,3

Sorry, but that is incorrect. While it is true that there is only one correct viewing order it is not fact NOT 4,5,6,1,2,3. It is:

1. Star Wars
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Return of the Jedi

I know not what these other numbers you are bandying about refer to.
Scamps is offline  
post #725 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericthemidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamps View Post

Sorry, but that is incorrect. While it is true that there is only one correct viewing order it is not fact NOT 4,5,6,1,2,3. It is:

1. Star Wars
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Return of the Jedi

I know not what these other numbers you are bandying about refer to.

I still stand by my order: 4,5,1,2,3,6
Ericthemidget is offline  
post #726 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
LordAwesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

3D releases in 5 years will have the better scans. And then you will the the OOT in Blu but in mono

But will those improved scans be used for normal releases?

Converting films not shot in 3D to 3D is as bad as colourising black and white films. If only 3D versions of these films wield improvements from new scans I will be mightily p-ed off.
LordAwesome is offline  
post #727 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My order is 5.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #728 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

Converting films not shot in 3D to 3D is as bad as colourising black and white films.

I would say that interlopers converting 2D films to 3D is as bad as colorizing; filmmakers converting their own 2D films to 3D is as bad as Special Editions.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #729 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Meteor|WAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well so much for Amazon's great efforts.

I just got a tracking update saying carrier never recieved item from sender, so I opened a support chat with Amazon and they confirmed my order got delayed and will be delivered next week. I'm in the process of trying to cancel the order but they're playing tough, telling me its already in transit. Well I'm telling them they better call the carrier and put a stop order...

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
Meteor|WAR is offline  
post #730 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Member
 
batutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow. I'm surprised to be disappointed in these transfers for the original trilogy. Lucas created the THX standard. They really aren't that great, with odd black levels, artifacts and color timing issues all over the place. They are certainly the best they've looked but far from exemplary. I've seen other films from the era that look much better. At least the sound is top notch, with John Williams score no longer buried under sound effects. But it's shocking that these films didn't get the gold treatment with all new film scans.
batutta is offline  
post #731 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
bviss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
it seems like so far there are alot of people who have seen the discs and think they are great! and 1 maybe 2 who haven't seen them but say they are the worst things since communism (about 200 times in this thread)
bviss is offline  
post #732 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post


3D releases in 5 years will have the better scans. And then you will the the OOT in Blu but in mono

Ha!
Dave Mack is offline  
post #733 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

It's not like its Gladiator bad, or bad at all for that matter. It's good enough to have the fanboys rush out to buy it and feel relatively satisfied, but leaves enough room for improvement that they'll run out and buy it again once they do a full restoration, include the unaltered films, and fix the colors. I think that theory is right on the money, personally, and fully expect another release a few years down the road.

Bingo. Like only fixing SOME of the lightsaber shots. They acknowledged the issue and yet only tweaked some.

Just like with the DVDs. There's always SOMETHING wrong. Like flipped music surrounds on ANH. Amazing considering the rep of the Lucas companies when they work for others being such perfectionists yet constantly releasing their own product in a half assed, unprofessional state.

I mean, imagine if some other film, studio had hired ILM to fix all the lightsaber shots. You bet your ass they'd ALL be fixed.
Dave Mack is offline  
post #734 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 3,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

It's not like its Gladiator bad, or bad at all for that matter. It's good enough to have the fanboys rush out to buy it and feel relatively satisfied, but leaves enough room for improvement that they'll run out and buy it again once they do a full restoration, include the unaltered films, and fix the colors. I think that theory is right on the money, personally, and fully expect another release a few years down the road.

That is how I think the planning process for this release also went down. This box is just the first iteration of Star Wars on Blu-ray. Lucas and Fox think they can squeeze out at least one more special edition or possibly two before Blu-ray goes away, so not everything was fixed.
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #735 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Member
 
BROMHEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EPISODE 4....Yes the colour is a little to saturated and the picture a tad darker then what we are used to but the amount of detail present is quite staggering.
The dirt and scratches and damage on the droids is so clear its amazing.The detail in the costumes model work and sets is also quite fantastic.
It makes for one ugly looking movie lol you don't realize how dirty and realistic looking this movie really is until you have seen the BLU-RAY.I guess it reminds me a little of Serenity in its grimy look.
The soundtrack is also fantastic.Its gonna shake the foundations of your room.
The picture quality really comes into its own once the Falcon has been caught by the Death Star.Up until then its a bit hit and miss.
Overall a very good presentation
BROMHEAD is offline  
post #736 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

That is how I think the planning process for this release also went down. This box is just the first iteration of Star Wars on Blu-ray. Lucas and Fox think they can squeeze out at least one more special edition or possibly two before Blu-ray goes away, so not everything was fixed.

Exactly
Dave Mack is offline  
post #737 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
DeathStalker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

3D releases in 5 years will have the better scans. And then you will the the OOT in Blu but in mono

Great..now when Greedo shoots first, I'll have to duck. * this.
DeathStalker2 is offline  
post #738 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone watched AOTC yet? How noticeable is the teal shift?
Dave Mack is offline  
post #739 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Otter0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did anyone else noticed when Obi-Wan and Vader are fighting Vader's lightsaber is pink on one side and red on the other?!
Otter0911 is offline  
post #740 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
LordAwesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm guessing the reason they didn't use a new scan is because the new effects for the 2004 DVD were done in 1.9K and if they wanted to use those again they'd have to redo the effects?

So it's all Hayden Christensen's fault, really.
LordAwesome is offline  
post #741 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Neil S. Bulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I find it absolutely head-spinning that an exceedingly rich company known for, and who prides themselves on, technological excellence and pushing the technology envelope (THX/Lucas), and who are dealing with their prime claim-to-fame material, in probably the most anticipated HD release yet...would simply use old 2004 HD scans. Rather than avail themselves of the current state of the art, as even much lower end, or less well-heeled titles and companies now do routinely.

I can't wrap my head around the logic.

They'll sell just as many copies to the general public with old transfers as they would with new transfers. The hardcore A/V person and even the hardcore Star Wars fan is not the target market. The general population is because there is way more of them. That's where the money is and that's the logic.
Neil S. Bulk is offline  
post #742 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Member
 
batutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

I'm guessing the reason they didn't use a new scan is because the new effects for the 2004 DVD were done in 1.9K and if they wanted to use those again they'd have to redo the effects?

Actually the most believable theory.
batutta is offline  
post #743 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post


They'll sell just as many copies to the general public with old transfers as they would with new transfers. The hardcore A/V person and even the hardcore Star Wars fan is not the target market. The general population is because there is way more of them. That's where the money is and that's the logic.

Yep. There will be a later tweaked version for the hardcore enthusiasts.
Dave Mack is offline  
post #744 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
giantchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't like 6.1 tracks. Just like Wall-E, my Onkyo cuts out the first second or two of the audio. The sound starts up practically halfway through the Fox fanfare. Grumble...

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
giantchicken is offline  
post #745 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member
 
mnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordawesome View Post

i'm guessing the reason they didn't use a new scan is because the new effects for the 2004 dvd were done in 1.9k and if they wanted to use those again they'd have to redo the effects?

So it's all hayden christensen's fault, really.

damn you hayden christensen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d:d:d:d:d:d

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
mnc is offline  
post #746 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Yep. There will be a later tweaked version for the hardcore enthusiasts.

And it will be called Star Wars: The Empire Edition - and it will include every version of all the movies ever made and every documentary. There will also be The Rebel Edition with the difference being the McQuarie artwork inside.
Closet Geek is offline  
post #747 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
 
RedOctober205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bviss View Post

it seems like so far there are alot of people who have seen the discs and think they are great! and 1 maybe 2 who haven't seen them but say they are the worst things since communism (about 200 times in this thread)

Welcome to the forum. This is the the norm.
RedOctober205 is offline  
post #748 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
serialmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

I don't like 6.1 tracks. Just like Wall-E, my Onkyo cuts out the first second or two of the audio. The sound starts up practically halfway through the Fox fanfare. Grumble...

Oh, my denon did the same thing. Didnt know why. I dont have this phenom on dts 6.1 dvd.

Interesting.
serialmike is offline  
post #749 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
By this point LOTS of people have seen the discs. And many reviewers. And most reviewers have said the same thing. Better than before but not as good as they could or should have been.
I think also why there is quite a bit of negativity is that lucasfilm had this whole PR campaign, inviting people down to say they have heard the complaints, concerns and have responded to them (lightsaber issues) and then they only partially do that. Saying they read the forums and are aware of the issues the fans have. Then say they have addressed them. But only partially.
That's pretty unprofessional for a company of this stature. And the fact that fans HAVE to point out these glitches, mistakes, misguided creative "decisions" that the highly paid pros of Lucasfilm and ILM don't catch? Who do they have working there? Interns? First year film students learning Final Cut Pro?
Dave Mack is offline  
post #750 of 2407 Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

By this point LOTS of people have seen the discs. And many reviewers. And most reviewers have said the same thing. Better than before but not as good as they could or should have been.

Insert dead horse here.
Closet Geek is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off