Star Wars Blu-Ray Release Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Episode One was silly and sometimes unbearably cute.

Something Ive noticed from my repeated viewings from Star Wars (A New Hope):
Obi Wan killed Owen and Breu Lars. He needed Luke to go on the heroic journey with him and the droids, and when he didn't- Ben blew up the Lars Homestead- so Luke would have nothing to tie him to Tattooine. Nobody seems to pick up on this, He blew their house up while Luke was out searching for R2. He had been planning it for years. The dead Jawas was simply an unrelated violent event, and Ben used the Mind-Trick to cement the idea that Stormtroopers were out killing everyone who may have had contact with the droids.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Count me among the strange folks who think TPM is the best of the prequels. Ignoring the Jar-Jar nonsense, it feels more like a Star Wars movie to me than the other two.
post #183 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Count me among the strange folks who think TPM is the best of the prequels. Ignoring the Jar-Jar nonsense, it feels more like a Star Wars movie to me than the other two.

Yeah. I actually consider it to be one of five best films of 1999.

* Fight Club
* American Psycho
* Star Wars Episode I
* The Matrix
* The Sixth Sense

That makes me awesome.
post #184 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Yep, release date is they only way

Why is 4,5,6,1,2,3 better than 4,5,1,2,3,6 ?

& i like the PTs too because its fun not being part of the "cool crowd."

post #185 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Why is 4,5,6,1,2,3 better than 4,5,1,2,3,6 ?

& i like the PTs too because its fun not being part of the "cool crowd."

Do you really need to even ask? It's not so much that it's better, but it is the way it was released in the theater (and rhere are those that just prefer the OT). Technically 4,5.1,2,3,6 would probably be better . This way you get the surprise of Leia and Luke being brother and sister as well as saving the birth and death of Vader until the end.
post #186 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I think the last email I got from amazon was an expected arrival date of 9/20. No thanks, I canceled my order and will also head to Target in the AM. I have company coming over to start watching them with us Friday night. I'm sure I will have gripes based on some of the indications I've seen so far but I'm confident they will be a decent upgrade from the dvd's I have and at roughly $13 a disc the cost is right.

I changed my shipping speed to 'release day delivery' and it turned out to only be about $5 more. Expected delivery date is Friday.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #187 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Obi Wan killed Owen and Breu Lars. He needed Luke to go on the heroic journey with him and the droids, and when he didn't- Ben blew up the Lars Homestead- so Luke would have nothing to tie him to Tattooine. Nobody seems to pick up on this, He blew their house up while Luke was out searching for R2. He had been planning it for years. The dead Jawas was simply an unrelated violent event, and Ben used the Mind-Trick to cement the idea that Stormtroopers were out killing everyone who may have had contact with the droids.

Sometimes I think you just enjoy being ridiculous or controversial.
post #188 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

Sometimes I think you just enjoy being ridiculous or controversial.

C'mon man. He's one of the most entertaining posters here. Look for his take on the Ewoks. Poetry. Hilarious, batshit insane poetry
post #189 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Rofl that is wrong on so many levels.

Maybe he was faking it too when he started feeling sick when Alderaan was destroyed too....
post #190 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Time to come out of the basement and expand your horizons.
Maybe get a paper route, mow some lawns or get a job at Wendy's.
Or you could just stay with the troll thing.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #191 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Just wanted to throw in my vote of support for Phantom Menace - best of the prequels. Agree with the above posters.
post #192 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I got that idea from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. In that game you have to do a few shady things to walk the heroes path.

That makes me awesome.
post #193 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM

I'm thinking 4,5,6, then 1,2,3. I like them all, some alot better than others.

I have to take all PQ reviews with a big grain of salt, most people notice little things that I don't. I will have to see them for myself on my equipment, to really know for sure.
post #194 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Yes, it's the evil of three lessers.
post #195 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 295
ROTS easily holds that title in my book. AOTC is by far the worst. TPM is the silliest of the three but that is eclipsed by Ewan McGregor, Liam, and the brief but easily best choreographed saber duel of the saga.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #196 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
TPM is certainly most consistent with the worst elements of the original trilogy, I'll give you that. The Max Rebo Band would fit right in...
post #197 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

ROTS easily holds that title in my book. AOTC is by far the worst. TPM is the silliest of the three but that is eclipsed by Ewan McGregor, Liam, and the brief but easily best choreographed saber duel of the saga.

+1 the lightsaber fighting in Ep 2 is pitiful in comparison except for the Yoda part.
post #198 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I watched it again recently and I'm afraid I can't get on the TPM love bandwagon. The kiddie elements are unbearable, it's kind of dull most of the time, and I just don't see what purpose it serves in the overall scope of the PT. It could be completely omitted and the latter two films would lose next to nothing.
post #199 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

+1 the lightsaber fighting in Ep 2 is pitiful in comparison except for the Yoda part.

AOTC is the SW film of my largest gripe. Obi-wan's skills against Dooku were unrecognizable compared to TPM. I accept that Dooku was the better swordsman but seriously you could see the choreographic deficiencies without Parks involved.

I also really don't like he fact that Yoda came in to confront Dooku. I would have preferred to see Mace come in to handle it instead of Yoda, saving his saber debut for ROTS. And while I'm at it I'd also replace Jackson with Morgan Freeman for Mace Windu.

My Rig

post #200 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Yeh and Episode 3 has some dodgy saber fights as well - particularly the parts with the Emperor... he looks like an idiot one second with the blade and then he's doing all these flips and jumps everywhere, it's like errrr what da fu*k.
post #201 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 397
I haven't watched the prequels in a while, so it should be interesting and fun.

Regarding AOTC, I really liked it when I saw it on opening day in 2004; in fact, I saw it four times that summer with different friends and family (including an IMAX viewing). I remember liking it much better than Phantom Menace. However, as years passed, AOTC just didn't quite hold up for me and the Anakin/Padme romance dialogue just became unwatchable for me. It's been maybe 3-4 years since I've watched it (on DVD), so I am curious how it will stand for me now.

post #202 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I recently discovered that I havnt removed the "plastic seal(?)" from my episode I DVD.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #203 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:

Yeh and Episode 3 has some dodgy saber fights as well - particularly the parts with the Emperor... he looks like an idiot one second with the blade and then he's doing all these flips and jumps everywhere, it's like errrr what da fu*k.

I hated the overuse of the flips and flying across the room elements in the saber fights (apart from tpm final scene,which was awesome) and other scenes
Its like when dooku did his somersault in Sith down the stairs. just looked stupid
I assume because the darth maul fight worked so well they tried to emulate it in all the fights. But just never really worked
post #204 of 2407 Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish b View Post

I hated the overuse of the flips and flying across the room elements in the saber fights (apart from tpm final scene,which was awesome) and other scenes
Its like when dooku did his somersault in Sith down the stairs. just looked stupid
I assume because the darth maul fight worked so well they tried to emulate it in all the fights. But just never really worked

That's because lame cgi fights < the real ones. Even the final duel between Obiwan and Anakin was well done I thought. I loved some of the moves, the force push standoff, etc but again it goes back to Obiwan being a excellent fighter in TPM to mediocre at best inATOC and great again in ROTS.

My Rig

post #205 of 2407 Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Rofl that is wrong on so many levels.

Maybe he was faking it too when he started feeling sick when Alderaan was destroyed too....

It would also explain why Obi-wan didn't recognize R2.
post #206 of 2407 Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post

It would also explain why Obi-wan didn't recognize R2.

Nah that's just called Alzheimer's
post #207 of 2407 Old 09-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Just finishing Jedi now.

Right I was not going to post this here as I was expecting a lot of flack (I posted it elsewhere).
But I borrowed the actual UK set from a friend, no rips no MKV's just actual discs. (He went on holiday Monday and got his in the post Saturday, so he is not missing out much)
Watched on a 50" isf calibrated THX rated plasma, and listened to in 5.1 lossless.
But my (kind of) review of the set:

Focusing on PQ

The OT movies are in places, Sky shots for example plagued by frozen grain.
This being typical of a Lowry restoration I expected that, they improve over the 2004 Dvd's but offer little over the HDTV broadcasts bar better compression and some better resolution of the added grain.
Is it the best the films have looked on home video? Yes but looking at even low budget fair like The Evil Dead there is no way they should look this close to a HDTV broadcast with half the bitrate.
Some issues with the 2004 transfers have been fixed, but many others have not, Hoth is still blue and there are still contrast problems.
The PT fairs better but 2 + 3 also share contrast issues, 3 comes off the best however with the pure CGI moments looking amazing.
TPM is a mess, one of the worst DVD's that THX have put their name to has been rescanned and would have blown away any previous version including HDTV (That always looked low resolution and with a pink cast) if not for the DNR added.
People are saying that this was to bring it into line with the other PT films, but there is no reason to remove detail on what could have been the stand out transfer of this set.

Extras I feel are a mixed bag, great documentary's like The Beginning and Empire of dreams are missing, and what is left is a hodge podge of things that feels thrown together.
The deleted scenes (the few that were not already on youtube) are great to see and deserve a place on the set.
The vintage making of's are ok for what they are but I didn't watch much of them past a few mins.
The spoofs is weird, I was thinking they would be in chronological order, or some kind of order but they are kind of just one after another and nothing I had not seen before.

This could have been the release to end all releases to show other studios how it could be done, but with releases like Bridge On The River Kwai, Taxi Driver, Rocky Horror and even The Evil Dead showing how amazing period film based productions (on any mm size) this set can look distinctly low rent and needed to be so much more.

I would also like to add that I am a fan of Star Wars, a huge fan so before the accusations of we hating Star Wars come in.
I have seen / owned Star Wars on every format bar CED, VCD and 8mm, traveled 30+ miles to see the SE's in Dolby AC3 as my local cinema was only Dolby Stereo!
I have seen 70mm blow ups of the movies, and know them by heart.

I could not agree more. The PQ of all six movies is disappointing, to say the least. This set is neither for videophiles, nor for true fans of SW, it's a half-baked effort at best. I think the BDs are nevertheless worth buying, but only as an upgrade on the DVD, not as a beautiful and satisfying release.
post #208 of 2407 Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Yeh it's odd that they have gone to so much effort on the audio-side of things, yet very little with the video.
post #209 of 2407 Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 AM

Is Star Wars really about the "quality" of the lightsabre fights? To me the fights in the prequel trilogy just look over rehersed, over choreographed. At least the fights in the OT look spontanious and natural. Besides, is that what people really want? Awesome lightsabre fights? I thought people were "film" fans?
post #210 of 2407 Old 09-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
just picked up the trilogy today
have flicked thru them for a quick look
on a 120 inch screen detail is ok--best I have seen of them.The faces are pasty too--guess have been spoilt by later movies quality.Some older ones like forbidden planet are much better in video quality.
Sound to me disappointing as I remember in thx in the cinema much better--i am using proffessional speakers that are used in cinemas.The intos still have red ghosting around the type in the begining.A little disappointed but will sit down later tonite to check out more.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page