post #331 of 340 Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

For the record, I have nothing invested in this thread and it was not my intention to copy what others have already stated, merely to express my opinion about the film itself and the quality of the disc. I only want to state that I had finally seen the film and either due to external influence or due to my own findings, I'm only sharing my opinion:

1. It's like ET, but more violent (not as family friendly)
2. It's loud, but in 4-year-old-banging-pots-in-the-kitchen sorta way
3. It's pretty, but lens flares are distracting
4. It's a decent movie and easy to recommend as a rental, but not as a purchase

I apologize if anyone is butthurt about it. That's it, I'm out, carry on.

It is loud in a bright/harsh way in several scenes and like I posted above yours I honestly thought I had a defective disk with a blue line going across the screen in several scenes along with a bright to dark flashing in dark scenes. I'm not sure about all the artistic style stuff I've been reading about but it's really distracting. It was a blind buy for me based on reviews and a pretty darn good movie but due to the "artistic style" I'll never watch it again.

I really wish Abrams didn't do all the flare stuff because it's a good movie. The blue lines/flares are just so distracting.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 340 Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

For the record, I have nothing invested in this thread and it was not my intention to copy what others have already stated, merely to express my opinion about the film itself and the quality of the disc. I only want to state that I had finally seen the film and either due to external influence or due to my own findings, I'm only sharing my opinion:

1. It's like ET, but more violent (not as family friendly)
2. It's loud, but in 4-year-old-banging-pots-in-the-kitchen sorta way
3. It's pretty, but lens flares are distracting
4. It's a decent movie and easy to recommend as a rental, but not as a purchase

I apologize if anyone is butthurt about it. That's it, I'm out, carry on.

I, too, agree with your analysis. I wasn't as bothered by Abrams' frequent use of the lens flare device as some posters were but nevertheless agree that he used it too often. In short, Super 8 is a pretty good movie despite some weaknesses.
post #333 of 340 Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Trek, but it's the only interview I could find where he addresses the flare

Would have been nice to know that up front. I wouldn't have even bothered replying since the quote is meaningless when talking about Super 8.

John
post #334 of 340 Old 02-07-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post

Would have been nice to know that up front. I wouldn't have even bothered replying since the quote is meaningless when talking about Super 8.

John

No it's about how it is practical and he went over the top.
Point was it shows they are not cgi and were scaled back.
Plus it's his style, get over it.
I don't like Shawn Levy or Brett Ratner's "style" so I don't watch their crap, simple really.
post #335 of 340 Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No it's about how it is practical and he went over the top.

It was about Star Trek. His reasons for doing it there don't fit here. I'm sure he had reasons to do it here, but I don't have to agree with them.

I did like the movie, but couldn't get over the flares. It's a shame, really.

Quote:

Plus it's his style, get over it.

It's funny you should say that. People have been saying that to you in other threads, but you persist in commenting (until they get deleted). And that's fine, but don't tell others to do something you're not capable of doing yourself.

John
post #336 of 340 Old 02-07-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It was about Star Trek. His reasons for doing it there don't fit here. I'm sure he had reasons to do it here, but I don't have to agree with them.

I did like the movie, but couldn't get over the flares. It's a shame, really.

It's funny you should say that. People have been saying that to you in other threads, but you persist in commenting (until they get deleted). And that's fine, but don't tell others to do something you're not capable of doing yourself.

John

Point = missed.
The lord of the rings deletions were there to call out the double standards of the mods, and nothing else.
I don't feel the narcissistic need to tell everyone in a thread devoted to a movie how much I hate it.
When others do it's ok, as long as the mods agree, and yet the star wars and drive threads are free game.
I avoided the rings thread on the whole as I dislike the films, and other threads have suffered deletions due to negative comments.
So, transformers is ok to hate on, and scarface is not? Garbage
Lines are blurred here now, they never used to be.
We have a film forum and a bluray forum, they may as well merge now, as people are not bothering to use them.
If people want to know about the quality of a disc, do they really need to hear 10 pages of winging on flare?
Go and read the OP on the Star Wars thread I spent ages making, and the rules that were made under mod supervision and then read the last 5 pages...
post #337 of 340 Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The lord of the rings deletions were there to call out the double standards of the mods, and nothing else.

If that's really what you did, then that's extremely bad form. The Mods have enough to handle without people making more work on purpose. Send your comments and complaints to the mods directly. Don't do it in the forums and threads.

Quote:

Lines are blurred here now, they never used to be.

I've been here a long time and the moderation style hasn't changed much, if any, during that time.

Quote:

If people want to know about the quality of a disc, do they really need to hear 10 pages of winging on flare?

I'll kinda agree with you here, but most people seems to also mention other things in the same post (like the over the top, harsh train wreck sound).

Quote:

Go and read the OP on the Star Wars thread I spent ages making, and the rules that were made under mod supervision and then read the last 5 pages...

Star Wars is, and will always be, a problem thread. And you can go much further back than 5 pages to read off topic (and repetitive) comments. You even have many off topic (and stirring the pot) posts in that thread.

Anyway, we're completely off topic here. Can we get back to talking about the lens flare now?

John
post #338 of 340 Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If that's really what you did, then that's extremely bad form. The Mods have enough to handle without people making more work on purpose. Send your comments and complaints to the mods directly. Don't do it in the forums and threads.

I've been here a long time and the moderation style hasn't changed much, if any, during that time.

I'll kinda agree with you here, but most people seems to also mention other things in the same post (like the over the top, harsh train wreck sound).

Star Wars is, and will always be, a problem thread. And you can go much further back than 5 pages to read off topic (and repetitive) comments. You even have many off topic (and stirring the pot) posts in that thread.

Anyway, we're completely off topic here. Can we get back to talking about the lens flare now?

John

I reported the issue to the mods twice, and was ignored.
post #339 of 340 Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

John

I reported the issue to the mods twice, and was ignored.
post #340 of 340 Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
^OK, now that's funny....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page