post #271 of 282 Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

The 1997 versions?

I didn't know such a thing existed, but mind you Sky did show it more than once, and itv had non OAR versions hmmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 282 Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticello View Post

I would love to see those original prints transferred.

Technicolor imbibition dye-transfer print would be awesome...
http://savestarwars.com/technicoloribscreening.html
post #273 of 282 Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I didn't know such a thing existed, but mind you Sky did show it more than once, and itv had non OAR versions hmmmm

Turns out a 16x9 Enhanced version of the 1997 Versions was shown somewhere on TV but it was only decidedly SD.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #274 of 282 Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Turns out a 16x9 Enhanced version of the 1997 Versions was shown somewhere on TV but it was only decidedly SD.

Thought so
post #275 of 282 Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terapin View Post

Technicolor imbibition dye-transfer print would be awesome...
http://savestarwars.com/technicoloribscreening.html

That is what I wanted all along, Lucas had them
post #276 of 282 Old 10-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
There's a very good podcast about the blu-ray release interviewing colourist Marc Wielage who worked for ILM on the 2004 release.

http://www.fxguide.com/thevfxshow/th...u-ray-release/

I transcribed some outstanding excerpts:

Quote:
Marc Wielage: Back in 2004 I was sort of hired as a freelance colorist by Industrial Light and Magic who had set up a temporary color correction room up there is San Rafel at their old building up there on Kerner Boulevard and they had set up a Pogol color correction suite which is now considered very outdated, and we did all the color correction basically out of a closet. Entirely the opposite of what you would consider a THX color correction room. ILM wanted to handle it there rather than going to a conventional color correction suite in London or New York or Hollywood because they wanted to be very hands on and control every aspect of the transfer with great secrecy and security.

Quote:
Marc Wielage: The jury is still kind of out on that. I was able to watch Star Wars, that is to say: Episode IV completely from start to finish last night, and I am torn on whether this is an entirely new scan and new transfer, or the old scan and a new transfer, or bits and pieces of my transfer with some new bits, or what it is. I think it’s kind of a hodge-podge. I did see some certain scenes, particularly the opening shot in the white corridor where the Storm Troopers are running down the hallway and shooting blasters back and forth and I caught a few white wall color matching issues which are the kind of thing I would never let go by. They’d be a little bit blue tinted in one shot, a little bit warmish in another shot, and a little bit neutral in a third shot and I thought I don’t remember it looking quite that inconsistent. So and yet other scenes look exactly like what I did. It’s very possible that a new transfer was done, or at least a new color correction was done, and that they precisely matched it to what was done back in 2004 by myself and Rich Garabaldi who was the other person working on the show. Its possible that they diverged a little bit because you know over time peoples minds do change about how they want color.

Quote:
Marc Wielage: Yes, what I was told by a very high ranking Fox post production executive in the nineteen nineties was that the original cut camera negative of Star Wars had been extensively damaged in Japan at some point during the nineteen eighties and I think nobody had been aware of it until they opened up the cans around ninety-five or ninety-six and saw that there were massive scratches on the emulsion side of the film. The exact words of the executive to me was it looked like someone held a fork up to all seven rolls of film and just scratched them right down the centre, which sounds horrible. In addition to that there was a tremendous amount of negative fading and color shifting and density flutter and things like that going on.

post #277 of 282 Old 10-07-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Thanks for the link, interesting listening although I don't understand why one of them was talking about the idea of adding motion blur to the AT-ATs when that was the purpose of Go Motion in the first place.

Unrelated, has anyone compared Lucasfilm's TV-levels JPEG preview images with the actual Blu-rays yet?
post #278 of 282 Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I watched some Ep IV last night. What is with the blue push? R2's blue is neon blue. The scene when Uncle Owen is speaking with 3PO at the sand crawler, the shadows and smoke behind them are blue, and Owen's face and shoulders have purple in them. Many people have purple lips throughout the presentation. They spent 3 years on this set, and this is the best they could do?

It's NOT my setup. All my other content that isn't messed up looks perfectly fine. System is ISF calibrated.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #279 of 282 Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Totally agree, sharky. Artoo's blue panels practically glow in some shots. The bizarre colour is a legacy of the timing done for the 2004 version, although the very worst of it (blue haze around the Death Star explosion) has been fixed.
post #280 of 282 Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Liked: 22
Unless something has changed, which I don't think it has, dye transfer prints don't transfer well, which is why they're never used.
post #281 of 282 Old 10-09-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 189
The funny thing is, the colour on Star Wars may be so fubar because of Lucas' personal IB Tech print. I remember reading an article about the 2004 'restoration' which said that Lucas pulled his print and told his people that that rich colour was what he wanted to see on the DVDs (which were being derived from the SE negatives).

The photographs of that recent public screening of a dye transfer print certainly seem to jive with the overbearing DVD/Blu colour scheme, HOWEVER the methods used to attain that colour for the 2004 masters weren't nearly as sophisticated as they could've been (according to the above podcast) and that's why the colour's so ****ed up.

As always with Lucas, he goes in with the best of intentions but somehow manages to screw it up.
post #282 of 282 Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I know is this a pic quality thread, but I must also complain about the audio for a brief moment. The music is drowned out by the sound effects throughout the presentation, and in my personal opinion much of the LFE used is over the top. Case in point, the attack on the Princess's ship at the beginning of the film, all the blasts and explosions, I can't hear the fanfare at all. Audio is ISF calibrated and I have no issues like this on proper discs. Not an issue on my 1993 laserdisc!

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page