Experiencing audio dropouts on Star Wars? - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Audio or video issues with Star Wars? Please select your player and receiver.
Player: Panasonic 0 0%
Player: Pioneer 0 0%
Player: Samsung 0 0%
Player: Oppo 0 0%
Player: PS3 1 100.00%
Player: Other 0 0%
Receiver: Pioneer 0 0%
Receiver: Denon 0 0%
Receiver: Onkyo 0 0%
Receiver: Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
boylan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

On the 94, is that the previous update where f=2.012? Does it only fix the audio dropouts in bitstream, or does it also bring back the missing back surround channels using bitstream?

I've watched I-IV so far and only get back surround in 6.1 with PCM. Oppo has confirmed that VI has no back surround either with bitstream or PCM.

Pioneer didn't specify which firmware release it is, only that a fix was available. I think the OPPO rear channel missing issue is only in PCM mode, when the player does the decoding. The player should not remove rear channel information from the stream in bitstream mode. If a receiver is not sending signal to the rear channel in bitstream mode, that is more likely a receiver issue.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
boylan13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Definitely upgrade! The new Panasonic players are SO much faster than the BD30 - and even the more recent BD35 and BD60 - particularly on BD-Java-heavy titles like this one. As for player-specific problems on the SW set, I know there is an issue with the BD35/BD55 (firmware fix expected mid/late October), but I'm not sure if this same issue also affects the BD30/BD50.

-CB

Kinda off topic, Chris....but on the new Panny BD players....would a BD35 owner also see various BD-Live stuff speed up when upgrading to one of the 2011 models? While I do not use those Live features much, part of why I don't is that they are too damn slow on the 35!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Boylan I owned the Integra 9.8 when I had the dts bomb which I fixed with firmware,it was a great pre-pro! I sold mine so I could get the Onkyo pro 5507 for 9.2 surround which is great also.When I fixed the original bomb, the firmware worked for the Onkyo 805 also.Ive contacted Onkyo about the bomb & they said there working on it,at least they replied to my calls & emails,if I here anything Ill let everyone know.thanks
dholmes54 is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

My apologies, Mr. Perfect. I was only passing along what the Denon rep told me but I should have confirmed that the release was 6.1 before posting. I guess, as they say, "no good deed goes unpunished."

The fact remains that someone at Denon (someone deeply involved with product development at Denon) told me that the "Golden Compass" fix also fixes the "Star Wars" issue. And the fact that Denon's existing firmware upgrades correct the "Star Wars" audio dropouts lends evidence to support this assumption. Whether Golden Compass is 6.1 or 7.1, the fact is that this issue was previously identified *and fixed* by Denon via a firmware update.



Considering the unreliability of the various sources of soundtrack data on Blu-rays, I think using the term "precisely" is probably not your best bet. Blu-raystats.com (which I have found to be a pretty good source of data) lists 31 titles (not including "Star Wars") that have some form of DTS sound in 6.1 channels. Whether it's legacy DTS, DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD HR it's hard to say definitively without owning them all. Which is why I said "under 50." 14 titles is under 50. 31 or 34 titles is also "under 50." The funny thing is that you seem to be *agreeing* with my point that there are few titles available that are encoded in DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1. But you turn it into a debate or argument because you don't like my use of the phrase "under 50 titles?" Really?

So what, *precisely* are you taking issue with in my post, other than the fact that I mistated that "Golden Compass" was a 6.1 release? What are these "couple fronts" where my post is "erroneous?"

Have a nice day,

-CB[/quote]

Chris, I did not intend to offend and no debate needed/intended. Yes I agree with you that there are "few" DTS-HD MA 6.1 releases out there. I should have been more clear as there are ~14 releases listed on the database and many of those are duplicates of various releases and many include multiple movies. So there are probably ~20 distinct "movies" out there in that format. Of course we have no idea how accurate that is. I would guess that there may be some that are omitted and few if any miss-reported. 50 just seemed like a high number and I did not key into the "less than". Course it does not matter the number when the 2 biggest BD releases of all time just happen to be DTS-MA 6.1 since many peoples equipment seem to be afflicted with these issues.

I had been buying into the theory that this was 6.1 related, but now I have my doubts about that. My theory is that it is the fault of the specific encoder used for these movies. Perhaps they used an older "buggy" encoder, or a newer one that has introduced an old bug or possibly yet a new one. They could also be using a custom encoder that just by chance has this issue. I bring this up because some are asking "why now" or "why again". Old and new buggy code it introduced all the time. For example my main BD player will not play four recent Disney titles unless it is running older code 2 releases back, but older Disney titles play fine. In addition audio drop issues are more prevalent with releases from the past year especially on DDTHD 7.1 titles. My assumption is that there is new DDTHD encoder code out there that is causing this as it mostly affects 7.1 but there are also 5.1 titles affected. The same could be happening with DTS-MA. The Golden Compass reference threw me since I was assuming like everyone else that this is a 6.1 issue, but dropouts and "bombs" have affected just about everything DTS-MA at one point or another. I think the Fly is 5.1.

Someone mentioned recently that The Decent was the reason for a DSP release in a '08 Denon model, but that release is PCM 6.1 so maybe the odd ball 6.1 format is problematic on many platforms and codecs? Who knows, it's sure to just be new (or old) buggy code being used. Probably different movies have been reported to the AVR/player manufactures over the years and for that specific model year/model they reference the 1st movie they fixed it for.

Whatever it is, seems to have missed many brands and at least for Pioneer and Denon updates are available and things fixed long ago and sounds like Sony and Onkyo still have some kinks to be worked out.

Have a great day, and pray for all of us that are awaiting various firmware updates for various issues with the "bag of hurt" Blu-Ray format.
mr.kludge is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
boylan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Kinda off topic, Chris....but on the new Panny BD players....would a BD35 owner also see various BD-Live stuff speed up when upgrading to one of the 2011 models? While I do not use those Live features much, part of why I don't is that they are too damn slow on the 35!

I spend very little time on the BD-Live stuff too, but I will tell you that the really BD-Live heavy titles like "Inglourious Basterds" do load faster on the 2011 players than on the 2009 and 2010 players. These bloated disc menus load a lot of content from the network while loading the menu, and I would say the load time of this (and similar) titles is cut around 30% to 40% compared to last year's models (e.g., BD85). But the Panasonic players are still slower than the Samsung ones in this regard.

IB loads to the menu on the 2011 Panasonic players somewhere between 82 and 100 seconds with BD-Live enabled (depending on whether it's the first time loading or a subsequent load). On the BD85, the same disc takes 150 seconds (yep, two and a half minutes) to get to the same place. A nice improvement, to be sure. But the Samsung 2011 players load the same disc to the menu in closer to a minute.

I can say that the "Star Wars" discs load *much* quicker on the BDT310 vs. the BD60 from two years ago. It's almost painful waiting for the menus to load to get into the special features on the BD60 (and earlier players). And while the network layer does load, I don't think it is really waiting for much (if any) content from the internet during the menu load. This is more a factor of the BD-Java code loading so that you can view and navigate through the menus. The 2011 players are much faster loading BD-Java.

Hope that helps.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
boylan13 is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
boylan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Have a great day, and pray for all of us that are awaiting various firmware updates for various issues with the "bag of hurt" Blu-Ray format.

May be a bag of hurt but it sure does look and sound purty. Thanks for the clarification. I agree that it can't really be a problem for *all* DTS-HD MA 6.1 discs, since no one reported problems with the LOTR series. And since "Golden Compass" is not DTS-HD MA 6.1, but this is the title that Denon specifically mentioned as having been the first example of this problem, it does lean toward there being something specific in the DTS-HD MA stream on these discs (whether they are 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1) that is causing these decoders to choke.

May all your firmware upgrades be timely and painless and may all your future components have internet jacks.


Regards,

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
boylan13 is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

May be a bag of hurt but it sure does look and sound purty.

May all your firmware upgrades be timely and painless and may all your future components have internet jacks-CB

Actually my Sammy BD-UP5000 does have an ethernet jack, but it is worthless since they stopped providing OTI updates 4 updates ago for some strange reason. Now it's only good to set the time and date with NTP, but you can't display that except for in the set-up menu anyhow and they even broke that functionality back with the 2nd to last one when they fixed Avatar (and broke ~20 older Fox titles in the process). I wonder why I even bother to keep it hooked up. I hear from the various forums that many older Sammy players also don't check for newer releases and report you are up-to-date when you actually are not. Besides even given that the player has not had an update for 15-16 months now and there are at least 8 moves that won't play on it running the new firmware and 4 if you are running the old (and many new Fox movies that won't play if you downgrade). It's a shame since it is such a great player, when you aren't having hardware failure issues that is. Loaders in that player have about a 2-year lifespan.

And yes, my next AVR will be sure to have either an ethernet jack or built in wireless. Taking it in just under a year ago and being without it for ~3-4 weeks almost killed me ;-) but I lucked out that the DSP update was out and I killed 2 birds with one stone. Had I not been asleep at the wheel when the "boomy bass" issue was discovered in the Denon 1909/789 (and possibly others) and had the 1st update done I would be without it again this year to be able to watch Star Wars.

I still prefer D-VHS. No firmware to worry about, no surprises, just works. But of course a very limited catalog of movies to watch on that format. Even HD-DVD has been less problematic than Blu-Ray. Guess that is what you get when you try to turn a HDP into a "computer".
mr.kludge is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

........... Guess that is what you get when you try to turn a HDP into a "computer".

So true!

Saturn94 is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Member
 
jag2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sent Onkyo an email yesterday regarding this issue on my TXSR 605 but I have not recieved a response.
jag2006 is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Newbie
 
rou021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current receiver is also having problems bitstreaming HD audio (everything works fine). After contacting Pioneer support, they said that there's probably something wrong with the HDMI board or something. After I get it serviced, I'll update everyone here if this also fixes the Star Wars problems I've had.
rou021 is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
NovaKane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I've watched I-IV so far and only get back surround in 6.1 with PCM. Oppo has confirmed that VI has no back surround either with bitstream or PCM.

I've gotten so little output from my back surrounds for episodes IV - VI. I can't remember hearing a thing for V or VI, but remember hearing at least one whoosh (when R2 and C3 depart in a escape pod after Leia's ship is boarded).

I'm bitstreaming through my Denon 3808ci (with latest firmware, including the DSP that got rid of the audio dropouts). I'll try using PCM mode and see if that opens up the sound back there.

Funny thing is that the rear backs work fine with LOTR 6.1, and other movies that use those speakers.

On another note: I posted in this thread awhile back regarding video freezes that I was having with the Star Wars films. Well, I've been having them with almost every film I've thrown in recently. So it looks like my Panny BD35 is crapping out (after 3 years of faithful and well-used service). Thought I'd mention this, since it is the avSCIENCE forum, and I didn't want to skew the facts regarding these movies with an issue that seems to be only on my end.
NovaKane is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

On another note: I posted in this thread awhile back regarding video freezes that I was having with the Star Wars films. Well, I've been having them with almost every film I've thrown in recently. So it looks like my Panny BD35 is crapping out (after 3 years of faithful and well-used service). Thought I'd mention this, since it is the avSCIENCE forum, and I didn't want to skew the facts regarding these movies with an issue that seems to be only on my end.

Ya, HDP players in general especially older ones have a very short loader lifespan. Seems they overheat and either fry the electronics or the laser guidance get off kilter and causes these things. They are also very sensitive to dirt and dust on the lasers. Have you tried to use one of the many laser lens cleaning discs? My favorite is the Maxell wind tunnel ones. I was skeptical at first, but they work quite well. They have several versions marketed for various types of players and consoles, but just check Amazon and pick one up that is the cheapest DVD/Game/BD cleaner and you will be good to go. I also have a couple what I call "brute force" cleaners. One that is not made anymore from DiscWasher with a single brush. I have one with a small brush and one with a longer larger one and also a BIB CD lens cleaner that has a bunch of tiny brushes. I used the BIB to revive my Tosh A35 HD-DVD player a while back as it decided to not want to play some of my imports.
mr.kludge is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
NovaKane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, using PCM lights up my Denon AVR as Multi-channel 7.1. (with bitstream I did get the proper 6.1 signal configuration on my display).

For episode VI the rear backs are at least active, unlike when I bitstream the signal, but they are just matrixing/mimicking the rear side speakers, and not offering a discrete mix (hope I have all my terminology correct ). I can hear a low level music score, more strident sound effects, everything exactly the same as the rear sides.

With a bitstream of LOTR I get sounds that are unique to the rear backs (for instance, no music score), and not a simple reproduction of the rear sides.

P.S. Thanks, Mr. Kludge, for the lens cleaner advice. Very helpful.
NovaKane is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Pretty sure the DMP-BD755 is Costco's version of the DMP-BD75 with an HDMI cable in the box. It's the only non-3D capable player in the 2011 line-up. It launched with a slightly reduced sample of VIERA Cast apps. Not sure if it got the VIERA Connect upgrade that the 3D-capable players got in the most recent firmware update.

But if it's based on the same transport as the 3D players (BDT110, 210, 310), then it should be pretty quick to load discs.

-CB

Thanks. It does load much faster than my old 55. And, it did come with a cable. Too bad it doesn't have a coax or optical out for CDs so I could have used it without turning on a projector for that HDMI stuff.
CharlesJ is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ca1ore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not have any audio drop-out problems, but I do have a silent rear speaker with all DTS discrete 6.1 soundtracks played from my OPPO BDP-93. My AVR, a Meridian, cannot handle bitstream, so I have to have the OPPO send PCM, however, it is apparently not replicating the rear center channel across both of my rear speaker channles leaving one of them silent. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
ca1ore is offline  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful California
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

You've had this issue for 2 weeks and haven't called Pioneer yet?

I am disinclined to disconnect my A/V receiver and take it in for firmware update for just a single set of discs. I've watched the first four episodes so far and the ONLY audio dropout that I've heard that isn't associated with a video glitch is that quick dropout right after the start of chapter 16 on episode IV (A New Hope). I've had ZERO DTS bombs.

When I started this topic I thought the video glitches were a byproduct of the audio dropouts. Now I'm confident that the video glitches are a separate issue from the typical audio dropout. The video glitches are something that Panasonic needs to fix in their firmware. That measly little audio dropout in chapter 16 of ANH is not remotely bad enough to convince me to get a firmware update for the receiver.

Mark
Mark Booth is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
boylan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

I do not have any audio drop-out problems, but I do have a silent rear speaker with all DTS discrete 6.1 soundtracks played from my OPPO BDP-93. My AVR, a Meridian, cannot handle bitstream, so I have to have the OPPO send PCM, however, it is apparently not replicating the rear center channel across both of my rear speaker channles leaving one of them silent. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Known problem on the OPPO on this title - no rear channels in PCM mode. Not sure if they have a fix yet but contact them directly for details.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
boylan13 is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
boylan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

I am disinclined to disconnect my A/V receiver and take it in for firmware update for just a single set of discs. I've watched the first four episodes so far and the ONLY audio dropout that I've heard that isn't associated with a video glitch is that quick dropout right after the start of chapter 16 on episode IV (A New Hope). I've had ZERO DTS bombs.

I don't think anyone has had a "DTS bomb" except on Onkyo/Integra receivers. I have heard sporadic static at the beginning of SW IV and other drop-outs and audio anomalies on my Pioneer VSX-94TXH watching this set, but the little one at 36:55 is the easiest to reproduce reliably. I am still waiting to get clarification back from Pioneer as to which firmware release fixes this.

Quote:


When I started this topic I thought the video glitches were a byproduct of the audio dropouts. Now I'm confident that the video glitches are a separate issue from the typical audio dropout. The video glitches are something that Panasonic needs to fix in their firmware. That measly little audio dropout in chapter 16 of ANH is not remotely bad enough to convince me to get a firmware update for the receiver.

Mark

If that's all you've heard then obviously that's your call. I've heard more than just that.

And Panasonic now has a release schedule for the firmware updates to be rolled out (plus or minus a couple of days depending on what else needs to go on the server or into the update). Again this issue appears to only affect playback of the Star Wars discs on the 2007/2008 players (BD30/BD50, BD35/BD55):
  • BD30: 10/17
  • BD35/55: 10/17
  • BD50: 11/17

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
boylan13 is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
boylan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Thanks. It does load much faster than my old 55. And, it did come with a cable. Too bad it doesn't have a coax or optical out for CDs so I could have used it without turning on a projector for that HDMI stuff.

Bummer. The 3D-capable players (110, 210 and 310) all have a fiberoptic output, in addition to HDMI.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
boylan13 is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
boylan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

Okay, using PCM lights up my Denon AVR as Multi-channel 7.1. (with bitstream I did get the proper 6.1 signal configuration on my display).

Most players decode DTS-HD MA 6.1 soundtracks into 7.1-channel PCM, but I think you should get different content from the rear channels than you do from the sides when you have a discrete 6.1 source. Different players handle this differently though. What make and model player are you using?

To tell for sure if you're getting the real thing, check out the pod race sequence in Episode I. Toward the end of the race, when that pod racer blows up just in front of Anakin and a part flies over his head, there is discrete information going to the rear that is not in (or much lower in) the side channels. If you hear exactly the same stuff in the side and rear channels then your player may be decoding this incorrectly and this may or may not be something that can be fixed.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
boylan13 is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

And Panasonic now has a release schedule for the firmware updates to be rolled out (plus or minus a couple of days depending on what else needs to go on the server or into the update). Again this issue appears to only affect playback of the Star Wars discs on the 2007/2008 players (BD30/BD50, BD35/BD55):
  • BD30: 10/17
  • BD35/55: 10/17
  • BD50: 11/17

-CB

Sweet! While upgrading to a newer player was tempting, FW updates are FREE. I can live with a bit longer load time.

Still the only issues I have had w/ the SW discs are the BD35 video glitches in AOTC. On/around the 17th, those should be history.

Nice to see Panny still supporting older units. Thanks for the info, Chris!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
boylan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer is telling me they can't reproduce any player-specific problems in playback on the BDP-320 on this set. They do point out that they delivered a firmware update in August for playability and encourage owners to make sure they have the latest firmware applied.

But if anyone has a reproducible test case for the Pioneer BDP-320 player that shows glitches or drop-outs in the video, do make sure to contact Pioneer support and also post the details here or over in the Star Wars audio thread on BPBS.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
boylan13 is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Rhythmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The back channel or rear channel is used exclusively for sound effects in the SW movies. Music is not mixed in the channel, but when effects call for it, it is definitely active. The pod races have several spots of active rear channel activity. The best scene is the duel at the end of Episode 3. The rear channel is very active
During that scene especially when the wires snap.
The rear channel in these movies is not supposed to be always active. The surrounds seem to take care of most of the ambient music etc.

Mark
Rhythmx is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Pioneer is telling me they can't reproduce any player-specific problems in playback on the BDP-320 on this set. They do point out that they delivered a firmware update in August for playability and encourage owners to make sure they have the latest firmware applied.

But if anyone has a reproducible test case for the Pioneer BDP-320 player that shows glitches or drop-outs in the video, do make sure to contact Pioneer support and also post the details here or over in the Star Wars audio thread on BPBS.

Thanks,

-Chris

I've not had any video glitches so far on my 320 (I've watch ep 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 so far). Since audio is core DTS via optical, I've also not experienced any audio glitches.

There was a report in the 320/23 owners thread that turning off the player's network connection solved the video issues (mine isn't connected).

Saturn94 is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
NovaKane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmx View Post

The back channel or rear channel is used exclusively for sound effects in the SW movies. Music is not mixed in the channel, but when effects call for it, it is definitely active. The pod races have several spots of active rear channel activity. The best scene is the duel at the end of Episode 3. The rear channel is very active
During that scene especially when the wires snap.
The rear channel in these movies is not supposed to be always active. The surrounds seem to take care of most of the ambient music etc.

Hi, Rhythmx.

My surround backs work fine for episode IV, as I do hear a discrete "whoosh" when the pod carrying R2D2 and C3PO is ejected from Princess Leia's boarded ship.

Haven't tried the prequels, so I can't report on the pod race that Chris Boylan mentioned in his earlier post directed to me.

My question to you, or Chris Boylan, or anyone : Do you remember any discrete activity in the rear backs for episode VI, Return of the Jedi? I had a Panny BD-35, and replaced it with a Sony S580, and neither player, along with my Denon 3808ci, has produced any information on those speakers for that movie (don't remember much in the Empire Strikes Back either).

So, maybe the Oppos, like my players, aren't having a problem with that title, as was reported. Maybe there's nothing in those rear backs to begin with.

Thanks, Rhythmx and Chris Boylan, for your continued help.
NovaKane is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: good old USA
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

Hi, Rhythmx.

My surround backs work fine for episode IV, as I do hear a discrete "whoosh" when the pod carrying R2D2 and C3PO is ejected from Princess Leia's boarded ship.

Haven't tried the prequels, so I can't report on the pod race that Chris Boylan mentioned in his earlier post directed to me.

My question to you, or Chris Boylan, or anyone : Do you remember any discrete activity in the rear backs for episode VI, Return of the Jedi? I had a Panny BD-35, and replaced it with a Sony S580, and neither player, along with my Denon 3808ci, has produced any information on those speakers for that movie (don't remember much in the Empire Strikes Back either).

So, maybe the Oppos, like my players, aren't having a problem with that title, as was reported. Maybe there's nothing in those rear backs to begin with.

Thanks, Rhythmx and Chris Boylan, for your continued help.

Per Oppo, they are investigating why on (only) Episodes V and VI, the players are not decoding the back surround channel in LPCM. They have done so bitstreaming, though with my particular Pioneer 94TXH, none of the episodes will play the surround back channel when bitstreaming.

I got back surround using LPCM from the Oppo 83 on all episodes except V and VI.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
NovaKane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Per Oppo, they are investigating why on (only) Episodes V and VI, the players are not decoding the back surround channel in LPCM. They have done so bitstreaming, though with my particular Pioneer 94TXH, none of the episodes will play the surround back channel when bitstreaming.

I got back surround using LPCM from the Oppo 83 on all episodes except V and VI.

I don't recall getting anything on episode V either. Interesting that it's working for some episodes, but not others, at least with our set-ups.

If someone could point out a specific scene in either V or VI where there is a discrete surround back effect, I'd greatly appreciate it. First of all, so I can test it myself. And secondly, to prove that there is, indeed, any discrete audio coming from those pesky speakers.

And I keep mentioning the word "discrete" because I did read a post (I don't think it was on AVS) in which someone raved about the surround backs producing really great Ton Ton sounds in the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back...and...here is what made the claim sound dubious...how the music score was so much fuller because of its use in the rear backs. The fact that they heard a music score mixed in leads me to believe that their set-up was simply matrixing the rear side speakers.
NovaKane is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

I don't think anyone has had a "DTS bomb" except on Onkyo/Integra receivers.

I read on another thread that a couple of Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer owners having the issue as well. Only Denon has provided a fix for it though...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Rhythmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My guess would be that Episode V and VI don't have much in the way of discrete back surround mix. The back surround is only used for certain effects. I haven't had the chance to check out 5 or 6 yet, but all of the first 4 episodes have discrete back surrounds active. However, they are not like the side surrounds, they are quiet through a lot of the movie.

Mark
Rhythmx is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WLA CA
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My local video shop has the complete series 1.60 a disc for 6 days so far I've watched IV, V, VI on my BDT-300 hooked up to SC-07 with perfect playback no audio or pixel glitches with dts-HD MA 6.1 bitstreamed. My receiver did get a FW update when I took it in for a mainboard replacement a year or so ago for DD+ drops.

Playing back the same discs and .iso's on my PC using MPC-HC I do get the bomb and pixellation. But I haven't updated FFDshow I'll test TMT 5 and PDVD 11 after I get some more stuff archived to the PC.
Nimo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off