Experiencing audio dropouts on Star Wars? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Audio or video issues with Star Wars? Please select your player and receiver.
Player: Panasonic 0 0%
Player: Pioneer 0 0%
Player: Samsung 0 0%
Player: Oppo 0 0%
Player: PS3 1 100.00%
Player: Other 0 0%
Receiver: Pioneer 0 0%
Receiver: Denon 0 0%
Receiver: Onkyo 0 0%
Receiver: Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 663 Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Denon 3808 AVR & Denon 3800 BD player (Bitstream mode). I updated the fw on my 3808 as recommended in other posts. It was not a very smooth experience since it's done over the network, but the end result is that my 3808 is now completely up to date, so I'm back to bitstream. Tried the "skip to chap 16 on Ep4" test several times. No bomb. I'll watch the entire movie this weekend and see how it goes. I watched Ep3 this past weeked and no issues. Ep3 is my favorite in the saga and a definite reference quality BD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 663 Old 10-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post

Just checked the Panasonic site and the new firmware (V2.4) for the BD35 is out and available for download! Got my CD burned - will install it tonight and give Episode II a whirl to make sure those video glitches are gone. Good job Panasonic - right on the schedule they gave to Chris!

Speaking of Chris, as usual, thanks for all your help!

how come they have an update for the bd30,bd35,and bd55 but no update for the bd50.
post #453 of 663 Old 10-17-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I watched Episode IV a few days ago, my Oppo BDP-93 has latest firmware, my Denon AVR-3808CI had v2.04, not the latest. I had no audio issues bitstreaming. Today I just finished updating my 3808 to v2.07, haven't watched the other movies yet.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #454 of 663 Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch35 View Post

I'm certainly no expert on blu-ray replication but I believe as long as there aren't any visible defects to your disc I don't think exchanging disc will be much help. with vinyl records probably but optical media not the same. Using a simple toshiba bdx1100 into denon 4310ci. Dropouts in all but tpm, switch to internal decode no problems.

Yup, bits are bits and pits are pits. Though it is possible to have a bad stamper or other manufacturing defects those would be very rare in a modern optical disc manufacturing plant. Some claim they have NEVER ran into a bad BD, but I have ran into several, esp. rentals that get beat up and sent through the mail in flimsy sleeves in all kinds of temperature extremes etc. Some players (older mostly) are way more sensitive to minor issues on discs, dust, dirt and fingerprints. Others play dirty scratched discs just fine.
post #455 of 663 Old 10-17-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgray_69 View Post

how come they have an update for the bd30,bd35,and bd55 but no update for the bd50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

And Panasonic now has a release schedule for the firmware updates to be rolled out (plus or minus a couple of days depending on what else needs to go on the server or into the update). Again this issue appears to only affect playback of the Star Wars discs on the 2007/2008 players (BD30/BD50, BD35/BD55):
BD30: 10/17
BD35/55: 10/17
BD50: 11/17

Per Chris Boylan's post a couple pages back

BD50 owners have to wait an additional month, but the update is coming.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #456 of 663 Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pioneer BDP-120 - Pioneer elite VSX-23 and I watched all 6 movies with no problems here.
post #457 of 663 Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

I watched Episode IV a few days ago, my Oppo BDP-93 has latest firmware, my Denon AVR-3808CI had v2.04, not the latest. I had no audio issues bitstreaming. Today I just finished updating my 3808 to v2.07, haven't watched the other movies yet.

ThePrisoner, the reason you didn't have any issues is because you likely had the latest DSP firmware with A2.04. Firmware A2.07 is only for Feature pack upgraded units(original units did not have this, but was a paid add on feature later). All Non Feature pack units are still on 2.04. It was the DSP update back in April of 2010 that fixed this issue. The A2.07 update just reenabled Rhapsody. Check this thread to find out more about 3808 updates
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995566

Mark
post #458 of 663 Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just checked the Panasonic site and the new firmware (V2.4) for the BD35 is out and available for download! Got my CD burned - will install it tonight and give Episode II a whirl to make sure those video glitches are gone. Good job Panasonic - right on the schedule they gave to Chris!

Speaking of Chris, as usual, thanks for all your help!

All right! I confirmed that the BD35 firmware version 2.4 has fixed the video glitches in Episode II!

Overall, not bad - a month and a day from release date, Denon fixed the audio glitches and Panasonic the video ones.
post #459 of 663 Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmx View Post

ThePrisoner, the reason you didn't have any issues is because you likely had the latest DSP firmware with A2.04. Firmware A2.07 is only for Feature pack upgraded units(original units did not have this, but was a paid add on feature later). All Non Feature pack units are still on 2.04. It was the DSP update back in April of 2010 that fixed this issue. The A2.07 update just reenabled Rhapsody. Check this thread to find out more about 3808 updates
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995566

Thanks for info. When you say Feature Pack update, is that the Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Volume update. I did that update in 2008, it was $100 I believe.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #460 of 663 Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Thanks for info. When you say Feature Pack update, is that the Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Volume update. I did that update in 2008, it was $100 I believe.

Yes, that would be the one. All units that upgraded have firmware with an A in front of the number. You should have A2.07.

Mark
post #461 of 663 Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All right! I confirmed that the BD35 firmware version 2.4 has fixed the video glitches in Episode II!

Overall, not bad - a month and a day from release date, Denon fixed the audio glitches and Panasonic the video ones.

+1. AOTC is now glitch free on my 35.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #462 of 663 Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 24
Had a few brief issues with digital pixelation while watched 'The Lincoln Lawyer' on Saturday. It's my own disc and I've viewed it at least 3 other times without any problems whatsoever. But all of those previous viewings were done BEFORE the August firmware update for the Panasonic BD35. Like Star Wars, The Lincoln Lawyer is a DTS HD MA 7.1 title.

I'm beginning to wonder if Panasonic introduced some playback problems with that August firmware update.

Either that, or my BD35 is getting long in tooth (worn out?).

Mark
post #463 of 663 Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Had a few brief issues with digital pixelation while watched 'The Lincoln Lawyer' on Saturday. It's my own disc and I've viewed it at least 3 other times without any problems whatsoever. But all of those previous viewings were done BEFORE the August firmware update for the Panasonic BD35. Like Star Wars, The Lincoln Lawyer is a DTS HD MA 7.1 title.

I'm beginning to wonder if Panasonic introduced some playback problems with that August firmware update.

Either that, or my BD35 is getting long in tooth (worn out?).

Mark

Not the forum for it, but from what I have read and heard from friends that have the BD35 it's loader has just as bad or worse longevity than the one in the Sammy BD-UP5000. The average life expectancy of the loader in the 5k is 1-2 years. I got 2 years out of my 1st, a little over a year out of the 2nd (which was used). Now on my 3rd out of a used broken (for other reasons) player. I have heard from a couple friends that their BD35s started having issues after a couple years. Not definitive, but it seems that many of the older/original BD players just were not built to last. However as you say, this could just be a new firmware bug. That sort of thing has happened way too many times with my main player, the Sammy 5k, they released code last year for Avatar that broke ~20 older movies and prevented them from being able to be played at all, they quickly released new code, but that new code has caused trouble with never Disney BDs and even some DVDs.
post #464 of 663 Old 10-25-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Turns out that firmware version 2.4 was released for the Panasonic BD35 8 days ago (10/17/11). I'm installing it now. Then I'm going to watch Jurassic Park. Fingers crossed that I won't have any pixelation issues or other problems!

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...5/bd35_na.html

Mark
post #465 of 663 Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

We are halfway through watching Jurassic Park and no pixelation issues so far. Unfortunately, I'm having the same type of image freezes and complete audio loss while watching Jurassic Park (the first movie) as I experienced with some of the Star Wars movies. It occurred in several places during the sequence where Dr. Hammond is taking them on a tour through the JP facility (just before the famous egg hatching scene where the robotic hand magically disappears when the camera angle changes). I switched my Panasonic BD35 from DTS HD MA to to PCM and the disc has played fine since, including playing back through the (previous) problematic scenes.

My gut is telling me that I'll be buying a new Blu-ray player soon.

Mark
post #466 of 663 Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Finished watching the rest of JP (with player set to PCM) without incident. Started the disc up again with the player set to Bitstream and played through all of the sections that gave me trouble the first few times. They played perfectly.

I am growing ever more convinced that my Panasonic BD35 is failing.

Mark
post #467 of 663 Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

I am growing ever more convinced that my Panasonic BD35 is failing.

Mark

Sounds exactly like what I dealt with when the Star Wars Blu-rays were released. I thought the discs were the root of my video issues (which were just like yours), but then the same issues started cropping up on discs that came out well before Star Wars, titles that I had already seen on my BD35 without problems.

New player (a Sony S580) and no issues whatsoever for Star Wars, Jurassic Park, older titles, etc...
post #468 of 663 Old 10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

Sounds exactly like what I dealt with when the Star Wars Blu-rays were released. I thought the discs were the root of my video issues (which were just like yours), but then the same issues started cropping up on discs that came out well before Star Wars, titles that I had already seen on my BD35 without problems.

New player (a Sony S580) and no issues whatsoever for Star Wars, Jurassic Park, older titles, etc...

Not that I have gone back & confirmed older discs have new issues popping up, my only problem (outside of a beat up rental BD or 2) with BD35 playback has been with the repeatable video pixelations on the Ep II BD. The most recent FW update cured that.

I assume most other 35 users aquired thier players around the same time I did (XMAS season - 2009? - when they sold for $225-$249). HOwever, I have had weeks go buy without ever firing the thing up. On average, it has probably seen more SD DVD use than BD.

Guess I'm saying that I'm hopeful mine will last a while longer. I can easily get a faster loading player for less than the 35 cost back then - it's that little factor of WAF that holds upgrading back in this particular case.

post #469 of 663 Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Guess I'm saying that I'm hopeful mine will last a while longer. I can easily get a faster loading player for less than the 35 cost back then - it's that little factor of WAF that holds upgrading back in this particular case.

I hope yours lasts a long, long time. It's been a great player for me.

FWIW, mine was used exclusively for Blu. And if I remember correctly, the Blu-ray drive has been the one to give up the ghost in this unit, not so much the DVD drive.

Mr. Kludge, in a previous post, discussed the fallibility of earlier generation Blu-ray drives.
post #470 of 663 Old 10-27-2011, 10:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg View Post

The sound mix on A New Hope sounds horrible on my system. Yet none of the other five movies have problems and sound exactly as I'd expect them to.

Specifically, the opening theme over the crawl sounds like 200% timpani in the center for a good portion of it, and brass way off at the sides sort of as an afterthought. The strings seem better, but still not as loud as that timpani thundering away!

Then the Star Destroyer attacks the Rebel cruiser, and the sound effects are LOUD! So much so that I can barely hear any of the music, and have to turn down the volume after the opening theme to not go deaf.

Throughout the assault on the Rebel cruiser, I hear faint music in the background that I always remember being front an center. (Frankly, throughout the whole movie the music seems far too quiet.)

And in the scene with the trash compactor, especially when Luke is yelling at C3PO through the comlink, I hear distortion as if the vocal track was recorded at too high a gain and clipped.

I should note that the opening 20th Century Fox Home Video fanfare (the new one that plays before both the movie and the original fanfare) does not exhibit the same issues as the Star Wars theme played over the crawl.

I find it hard to believe that such a bad mix would slip through quality control, so I'm hoping that my disc is somehow defective...as unlikely as that seems.

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD310 and an Onkyo TX-SR805 with a Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD. I'm using the dual HDMI out on the Blu-ray player (i.e., video to TV and audio to amplifier). I have the Blu-ray player set to PCM, although I did try it with Bitstream and it sounded the same.

I replaced my Onkyo TX-SR805 with an Onkyo TX-NR809, changed my Blu-ray output from PCM to Bitstream, and now the dtsHD Master Audio signal is output correctly. Sounds absolutely fantastic, with everything balanced as I remember and expect. So there was definitely nothing wrong with my disc, thank goodness. This amp puts out absolutely amazing sound. Woo hoo!
post #471 of 663 Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Hi ALL,

I had posted about getting the DTS Bomb on my Onkyo AVR (TX-SR705) and I had contacted their support and was given a trouble ticket. That was several weeks ago and I had heard nothing. So I called today and gave the guy my trouble ticket and after a while he came back to tell me that Onkyo is in contact with the disc producers and he acknowledged that there is a problem. He believes a firmware update is in the works but had no time table as to when it will be out. He also said that his manager will be in contact with Onkyo Japan to get more details on the problem. The support guy told me he would call me back next week with an update.

We shall see what we shall see!!!

Gerry
post #472 of 663 Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM

Player: PS3 Slim
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH
Episode: II - AOTC, Episode IV ANH, ROTJ
Player set to: Bitstream

Must say that I have never had the issue before till now and when it happened - scared the living **** out of me! Searched online and found that amps are the issue, not the players used. Pioneer claims to have an update available now for a few receivers in the older series to correct the DTS bomb.

Changed the output to PCM and no issues, switch back to bitstream and BAM!
post #473 of 663 Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

I have a Denon 3310 that I never updated the firmware on due to all the issues people reported with the NIC card but after experiencing the audio dropouts with star wars I decided to give it a try today

It took a few mins to obtain an IP address but I was able to successully connect and update my firmware without any problems. It took about a half hour and after testing star wars ep 2 the issue appears to have been resolved

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #474 of 663 Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM

I was having similar audio and video problems with Star Wars blu ray. My dealer was surprised when I described the problems. I returned the set and got a new set. No problems now.
post #475 of 663 Old 11-04-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

Hi ALL,

I had posted about getting the DTS Bomb on my Onkyo AVR (TX-SR705) and I had contacted their support and was given a trouble ticket. That was several weeks ago and I had heard nothing. So I called today and gave the guy my trouble ticket and after a while he came back to tell me that Onkyo is in contact with the disc producers and he acknowledged that there is a problem. He believes a firmware update is in the works but had no time table as to when it will be out. He also said that his manager will be in contact with Onkyo Japan to get more details on the problem. The support guy told me he would call me back next week with an update.

We shall see what we shall see!!!

Gerry

Gerry,
Any word from Onkyo? Inquiring minds want to know...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #476 of 663 Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Gerry,

The way Onkyo handling this is really frustrating!! let's hope fixed will be coming soon and for me, lesson learned!
post #477 of 663 Old 11-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Gerry,

Hi Jon,

Well, actually I had a good deal of contact with them the week of 10/24! I got a couple of calls from them asking for more info. Things like the firmware version of my AVR and of the Panny player. Since I first submitted the trouble ticket I bought a new Panny player but didn't really try to make it bomb.

The last call I got from them asked me if I could try to make it bomb and make a video of it as it seems they are having difficulty reproducing it. I don't have a video camera but my photo camera can make videos. So I told them I would try to make the video.

Here it gets a little interesting. So now my system has the newer Panny (DMP-BDT110 vs the old DMP-BD30) and the first thing I tried was to jump to ch 16. Of course my speakers were VERY low!! So I did the jump and . . . nothing! What? I tried it many times and also jumping at random to other chapters and still nothing. Then I noticed on the AVR every time I jumped the audio stream would re-sync which takes only a couple of seconds but enough to mute any bomb if it happened. As I recall the old Panny player did NOT re-sync when jumping to a chapter.

I really didn't want to hook up the old Panny so I tried this. I jumped to ch 16 and waited for the audio to re-sync. Then I used Rewind to go backwards a few seconds to the end of ch 15. The end of ch 15 is where Obi-Wan is talking to Luke and then there is a "wipe" to the beginning of ch 16 which is where a Star Cruiser flies across the screen. Once I got a few seconds into the end of ch 15 I let it Play. As soon as the wipe between scenes is done I hit Pause. Then I hit play and you can see the video start to move again and within a second BANG!! Even though the volume was quite low the bomb is relatively very loud. Nothing that would do any harm to the speakers but still quite loud. (When playing a movie at normal to loud volume the bomb is EXTREMELY loud!!)

So the above procedure produces the bomb 100% of the time. Then I make a video with my photo camera and it looks OK but its 45 MBytes! To make a long story shorter I re-made the video at a lower resolution and it was 5 Mbytes.

I e-mailed the video along with a description on how I made the bomb occur and I got a reply that they got it and were able to watch the video and they said it should help quite a bit.

However this last week I had not heard from them so as soon as I finish this post I will send them a new e-mail asking them for an update. By the way, they did say they are aware of AVS and this specific thread so the more people who post here about their Onkyo problems the quicker it may be solved. If you do post please include a detailed procedure to produce the bomb and the specific equipment (firmware version numbers if you have them) in your setup.

If I hear anything else I'll post it as soon as I can.

Gerry
post #478 of 663 Old 11-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Hi ALL,

Just got off the phone with the US Onkyo support engineer and based on the video I had sent them they ARE able to duplicate the DTS Bomb in their labs. That is very good news. The problem has now been escalated to the engineers in Japan who hopefully will be able to come up with a solution and a firmware update for us!

I'll keep everyone posted.

Gerry
post #479 of 663 Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

Hi ALL,

Just got off the phone with the US Onkyo support engineer and based on the video I had sent them they ARE able to duplicate the DTS Bomb in their labs. That is very good news. The problem has now been escalated to the engineers in Japan who hopefully will be able to come up with a solution and a firmware update for us!

I'll keep everyone posted.

Gerry

thats amazing you had to send them a video but glad to hear its being worked on

i had an Onkyo when this problem first happened few years ago and they had an update out fairly quickly

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #480 of 663 Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

i had an Onkyo when this problem first happened few years ago and they had an update out fairly quickly

Hi T-smith,

Yes, but that's when Blu Ray was just coming out, DTS Master HD was rather new and the DTS Bomb was much more universally happening. It was happening on many mfgs' AVR and on many discs. This time around it seems to be happening only on the Star Wars discs and only on certain AVRs. I know of Onkyo and Denon were affected and I believe Denon has sent out a firmare update to fix their AVRs.

The popular supposition is that the SW discs are using a new feature of DTS (I think called DTS-X) which is supposed to allow more precise placement of sounds from the various speakers. Only new AVRs that specifically support that new feature will benifit from it and older AVRs are supposed to simply ignore the extra data. The theory is that some how this extra data is not being ignored and is then screwing up the decoders and thus causing the Bomb! And it only happens under certain circumstances and can sometimes be hard to duplicate.

So I was kind of lucky to find a repeatable way to cause the Bomb and now that Onkyo can duplicate it hopefully they will be able to send out a firmare update to fix it.

Gerry
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page