Experiencing audio dropouts on Star Wars? - Page 18 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Audio or video issues with Star Wars? Please select your player and receiver.
Player: Panasonic 0 0%
Player: Pioneer 0 0%
Player: Samsung 0 0%
Player: Oppo 0 0%
Player: PS3 1 100.00%
Player: Other 0 0%
Receiver: Pioneer 0 0%
Receiver: Denon 0 0%
Receiver: Onkyo 0 0%
Receiver: Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 663 Old 11-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Echoing mark, that resolved the issue on my Pio 94TXH as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 663 Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

The firmware for the 905/906 are current... To hear the bomb, play the STar Wars IV disc and skip to the chapter where the star destroyer approaches the death star (chapter 14? 16?) Make sure your volume control is very low, when dialog is about the same level as a whisper, otherwise you may damage your speakers...

I just thought I would raise the issue because my 876 doesn't suffer from this issue - my Denon 3310 did but a firmware update sorted that out as well.
post #513 of 663 Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Hi ALL,

I was out of town last week and when I came back I was hoping to see an e-mail from Onkyo with an update but did not. So I sent them an e-mail and they did reply the same day.

The video clip and info I sent them had allowed the US engineers to duplicate the DTS Bomb and they then sent the info to the engineers in Japan. The e-mail indicated that the engineers in Japan are now able to duplicate the bomb and they are in contact with DTS and are working on a solution.

I also expressed my concern that this is taking a rather long time, especially when some other AVR manufacturers have already sent out firmware updates to fix the problem. I was assured that this problem is now at the highest level of support and is definitely being worked on.

So HOPEFULLY we should get something soon!! I'll keep everyone posted!

Gerry
post #514 of 663 Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hopefully they will come through with firmware for Onkyo 906 users too.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #515 of 663 Old 11-29-2011, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don’t know whether my problem qualifies as audio dropout and whether it was previously discussed, but here is what I have experienced: My AVR is Denon AVR-988, which is virtually same as AVR-2808CI spec-wise. I never installed a firmware update on it thus far. 7.1ch is selected under the amp assign settings. I enabled 2 surround back speakers in the speaker configuration setting. Auto Flag Detect Mode is set to off and while the disc is played SB CH OUT is set to DSCRT ON. My BD player is Oppo BDP-83, the non-SE version, with the latest official firmware installed on. Secondary audio is set off. I will dwell on bitstream vs LPCM setting below when explaining the problem.

I have made a very simple test to check whether I really get a discrete sound. I disconnected the speaker wires of all the channels except the surround back speakers. You can hear the discrete sound very easily at the first scene of Episode I when a space craft passes through. If you re-connect the speakers wires of your side surround speakers at the same time, you can easily discern the differences between surround back and side speakers especially in the subsequent scene that takes place within the space craft where you can hear the dialogue through the side surrounds but not from the back surrounds from which you may only hear the hum of the computers inside the space craft.

So there actually is discrete sound. The problem is that when I bitstream the track from my BD player, the same discrete sound comes from the surround back speakers extremely deep and muffled to the extent that it is barely audible. In other words, I can effectively get discrete sound only when I select LPCM in my BD player. To add to the problem, such deep and muffled sound comes from the surround back speakers both in LPCM and bitstream in Episode V and VI -therefore I need to select another mode other than DSCRT ON and off in order to get sound from the said speakers in which case I do not get discrete sound- and further, my AVR automatically turns off the surround back speakers when I mount the discs of Episode V and VI.

As a side note I did not experience this problem in 7.1 TrueHD, DTS HD-MA and LPCM encoded titles. I also did not experience this problem in the only other 6.1 title I own, which is also encoded in DTS HD-MA, namely LOTR EE blu-rays.
post #516 of 663 Old 11-29-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

So, wait the Onkyo 906/876 don't get the Bitstream Bomb?

**turns out I do.

That makes me awesome.
post #517 of 663 Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

So yes if you skip to Chapter 16 in "Star Wars" while bit streaming on an Onkyo 906 you will get a loud pop.

That makes me awesome.
post #518 of 663 Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mind you the issue only manifests when chapter skipping.

That makes me awesome.
post #519 of 663 Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Mind you the issue only manifests when chapter skipping.

Hi Fanboyz,

Actually that's not quite correct! The very first time it happened to me all I did was pause the movie. Then when I hit Play, the Bomb occured and I like to have the volume on action movies quite loud, so I almost jumped right off the sofa!! Other people experimented and found that it can happen on certain chapter jumps but it also depends on the player and the AVR.

When Onkyo asked me to make a video I had upgraded my player to a newer model (old and new players are Panny) and on the new one whenever it chapter jumped it caused the audio to re-sync, thus muting the sound until after the bomb would have occured. But then I found that if I paused it just right after the beginning of ch 16 it would Bomb all the time.

I haven't heard from Onkyo and its almost two more weeks so I'll send them another e-mail to get an update. I'll post whatever info they send me.

Gerry
post #520 of 663 Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

I don’t know whether my problem qualifies as audio dropout and whether it was previously discussed, but here is what I have experienced: My AVR is Denon AVR-988, which is virtually same as AVR-2808CI spec-wise. I never installed a firmware update on it thus far. 7.1ch is selected under the amp assign settings. I enabled 2 surround back speakers in the speaker configuration setting. Auto Flag Detect Mode is set to off and while the disc is played SB CH OUT is set to DSCRT ON. My BD player is Oppo BDP-83, the non-SE version, with the latest official firmware installed on. Secondary audio is set off. I will dwell on bitstream vs LPCM setting below when explaining the problem.

I have made a very simple test to check whether I really get a discrete sound. I disconnected the speaker wires of all the channels except the surround back speakers. You can hear the discrete sound very easily at the first scene of Episode I when a space craft passes through. If you re-connect the speakers wires of your side surround speakers at the same time, you can easily discern the differences between surround back and side speakers especially in the subsequent scene that takes place within the space craft where you can hear the dialogue through the side surrounds but not from the back surrounds from which you may only hear the hum of the computers inside the space craft.

So there actually is discrete sound. The problem is that when I bitstream the track from my BD player, the same discrete sound comes from the surround back speakers extremely deep and muffled to the extent that it is barely audible. In other words, I can effectively get discrete sound only when I select LPCM in my BD player. To add to the problem, such deep and muffled sound comes from the surround back speakers both in LPCM and bitstream in Episode V and VI -therefore I need to select another mode other than DSCRT ON and off in order to get sound from the said speakers in which case I do not get discrete sound- and further, my AVR automatically turns off the surround back speakers when I mount the discs of Episode V and VI.

As a side note I did not experience this problem in 7.1 TrueHD, DTS HD-MA and LPCM encoded titles. I also did not experience this problem in the only other 6.1 title I own, which is also encoded in DTS HD-MA, namely LOTR EE blu-rays.

Today I upgraded my Denon AVR-988's firmware. Now I can get nice discrete sound (not deep and muffled) while both in LPCM and bitstream in all Episodes.

As to Episodes V and VI, my AVR does not automatically turn off the surround back speakers anymore. Despite this, I still believe there is something odd with the surround back channel of these two Episodes because discrete sound is produced very rarely in comparison to other Episodes. While I am typing this post I also play Episode V: Empire Strikes Back with the TV off and so far (until 33:40 when the snow battle completely finishes) I got discrete sound from the surround back speakers between roughly 04:20 to 04:25 (5 secs), 08:00 to 08:15 (15 secs intermittently), at 16:25, 17:01, 17:08 and 27:40 for just less than a second or so, and between 29:50 to 30:00 (10 seconds). This is weird because in the opening scene, likewise the opening scenes of all or most of the Episodes, a space craft passes through in space, and in all those scenes surround back speakers produce discrete sound. I will not run this test for Episode VI but after a quick look I can tell you I find it surprising that in the Jabba's place where people and some creatures dance there comes no discrete sound at all.

You may of course say that I should not expect frequent production of discrete sound from the surround back speakers for such old titles and you would normally be right. However the oldest title, i.e. Episode IV, seems to have quite frequent discrete sound coming from the surround back speakers.

Anyhow, I will appreciate if you guys can run a 30-minute test on your 6.1 or 7.1 system and look for whether you get discrete sound from your surround back speaker(s) in Episode V other than the times I mentioned above by disconnecting your speaker wires from the front, center and side surround channels. If this is actually what we get as discrete sound from the surround back speakers in Episodes V and VI, then it seems better to matrix the sound to these speakers rather than hearing less than one minute sound in total from these speakers and having them idle in the rest of the movies.

PS. I have just finished testing the entire film. After the 34th minute discrete sound was produced by the surround back speakers only between roughly the following times:

01:43:26-01:43:33 (7 seconds)

01:43:37 - 01:43:47 (10 seconds)

01:55:53 - 01:55:54 (2 sec)

01:59:13 - 01:59:14 (2 sec)

So it makes 45 seconds (some of which intermittent) for the entire movie!!!

If someone can confirm I will really appreciate because I would not use the DSCRT ON mode for my surround back speakers if this is the actual situation. I would rather use any type of matrix mode.
post #521 of 663 Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 AM

Anyone here using Onkyo 507 experience any problems like audio dropout or DTS "bomb" on Star Wars Blu-ray set ?

For my bluray player, I am using Sony Bdp-s360
post #522 of 663 Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

Hi Fanboyz,

Actually that's not quite correct! The very first time it happened to me all I did was pause the movie. Then when I hit Play, the Bomb occured and I like to have the volume on action movies quite loud, so I almost jumped right off the sofa!! Other people experimented and found that it can happen on certain chapter jumps but it also depends on the player and the AVR.

When Onkyo asked me to make a video I had upgraded my player to a newer model (old and new players are Panny) and on the new one whenever it chapter jumped it caused the audio to re-sync, thus muting the sound until after the bomb would have occured. But then I found that if I paused it just right after the beginning of ch 16 it would Bomb all the time.

I haven't heard from Onkyo and its almost two more weeks so I'll send them another e-mail to get an update. I'll post whatever info they send me.

Gerry

I always check this thread to see if there is an update for Onkyo. It's now more than two months and yet no fix... u r my only hope with this receiver now!!
post #523 of 663 Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt onkyo will do anything.

That makes me awesome.
post #524 of 663 Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll probably just get a Oppo 93 with a chip for Chanukah anyway, put all this behind me.

That makes me awesome.
post #525 of 663 Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana_moo_ana View Post

I always check this thread to see if there is an update for Onkyo. It's now more than two months and yet no fix... u r my only hope with this receiver now!!

Quote:

I doubt onkyo will do anything.

Hi Guys,

I too am disappointed in how long its taking for Onkyo to address this, especially when other AVR mfgs have corrected their problems. However, at least I now have a specific contact and I am quite tenacious about things like this and I will NOT let it go until Onkyo issues a firmare update or flat out says they will not do anything.

Admittedly it can be hard to duplicate the problem but now that I sent them that video and engineers in both the US and Japan can duplicate the problem hopefully a solution will come soon.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Gerry
post #526 of 663 Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I just really doubt if a fix is found Onkyo will make it readily available to anyone short of some sort of 3rd party hack.

That makes me awesome.
post #527 of 663 Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Hi ALL,

Just got a reply from my contact at Onkyo and he tells me that a firmware update WILL be available by the end of Dec 2011!! Onkyo Japan is in an "extensive testing phase" to make sure this update does not cause any other problems.

Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so until we actually get a for-real firmware update the problem is still open, but it definitely seems that a solution is on the way!!

Gerry

P. S. I was going to say "the proof is in the pudding" but decided to look it up and one of the references said that if you say it the short way it "instantly identifies the speaker as being incredibly stupid and illiterate!" So I used what the reference said was the original form of the saying!!
post #528 of 663 Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I still think they'll screw us Onkyo 906 owners, just a feeling I have.
A strong feeling.

That makes me awesome.
post #529 of 663 Old 12-03-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

Hi ALL,

Just got a reply from my contact at Onkyo and he tells me that a firmware update WILL be available by the end of Dec 2011!! Onkyo Japan is in an "extensive testing phase" to make sure this update does not cause any other problems.

Great news, I anxiously await the ability to resume bitstreaming.
post #530 of 663 Old 12-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I still think they'll screw us Onkyo 906 owners, just a feeling I have.
A strong feeling.

You continue to make statements like this but don't seem to have anything to base it on other then a feeling

From what ive read they are working on a fix so I don't think they will be intentionally screwing anyone or any specific model numbers

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #531 of 663 Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What I don't like about Onkyo is that it took them over a month to even acknowledging there is a problem... I called to inform them of the problem the day I bought the Star Wars movies... Even after explaining on how to replicate the issue, they denied that the problem existed for several weeks.

Now that they acknowledged there is an issue, there has been no word from them on how long it will be before a fix will be released, if at all. It has been nearly three months since the problem cropped up, you would think a fix would have been done by now... After all, it did not take that long to fix the original DTS bomb three years ago.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #532 of 663 Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What I don't like about Onkyo is that it took them over a month to even acknowledging there is a problem... I called to inform them of the problem the day I bought the Star Wars movies... Even after explaining on how to replicate the issue, they denied that the problem existed for several weeks.

Now that they acknowledged there is an issue, there has been no word from them on how long it will be before a fix will be released, if at all. It has been nearly three months since the problem cropped up, you would think a fix would have been done by now... After all, it did not take that long to fix the original DTS bomb three years ago.

To put a timetable on any software / firmware fix is almost impossible bc not meeting that timeline just makes things worse so most of the time you won't get one not to mention can't put a timetable on a fix before u hv one on place

If they couldn't replicate the problem right away then that just delayed the design and testing of a fix which they probably thought was already resolved.

It's frustrating but if I had an onkyo I'd rather wait for a reliable fix then get one that isn't properly tested

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #533 of 663 Old 12-04-2011, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

You continue to make statements like this but don't seem to have anything to base it on other then a feeling

Well Onkyo's horrible past history with dealing with problems that could have easily been fixed with a firmware update, yet they never did offer one, and instead the needed fixes were included only in the next years model. Definitely counts for something against Onkyo, and their sometimes very poor treatment of owners of their product.
post #534 of 663 Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:

. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

It's frustrating but if I had an onkyo I'd rather wait for a reliable fix then get one that isn't properly tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Well Onkyo's horrible past history with dealing with problems that could have easily been fixed with a firmware update, yet they never did offer one, and instead the needed fixes were included only in the next years model. Definitely counts for something against Onkyo, and their sometimes very poor treatment of owners of their product.

Hi ALL,

I agree 100% with all your comments!! But at least they have finally acknowledged the problem and are actively working on a fix. Yes, it took a lot of prodding from all of us to get them to do something, but they still could have just ignored us completely and then we would have never have gotten any thing done. I have dealt with companies that would do just that - totally ignore all user complaints and just happily go about their business.

Anyway, as soon as I hear anything I'll let everyone know!

Gerry
post #535 of 663 Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just happy there's hope. But still my faith in Onkyo is very little.

That makes me awesome.
post #536 of 663 Old 12-16-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got an Oppo 93.
Still no 6th channel in ROTJ when using PCM via HDMI.

That makes me awesome.
post #537 of 663 Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Hi there, I've had problems with Playback with my Samsung Samsung BD-P1400/XEU.
What is unusual in terms of the theories I've read about being receiver/amp related is that in my case it is not, as I don't have a receiver plugged in, merely the player HDMI'd up to the TV, which is UE46C6000.

Star Wars Ep 4 - audio drop out about half a second, at least once a minute consistently. Made it impossible to hear most of the dialogue properly through the film.

Star Wars Ep 5 - not quite so bad, audio drop outs regular as before, this time at a slower interval, approx every 2-3 minutes, and approx 1/4 of a second making it less distracting to watch, but still highly annoying

Star Wars Ep 6 - very occasional audio glitches.

From what I can see, especially on Ep6, it seemed to occur during extremely loud scenes, e.g. explosions, fight scenes etc.

Even updated firmware to latest version - and no improvements.

Also tried switching between bitstream and PCM sound on BDP audio settings as suggested in other forums, no change, same problems.

Whats worse for me is the main reason I bought the discs is to watch the extras - every time I try watching the extras the menus freeze and I have to reboot the player - utterly frustrating and ridiculous.

What do we do, return the discs so Lucasfilm gets their house in order? Do I buy a new player (seems daft, surely a blu-ray player is just that, and should just work with any disc).

I think this is something to do with the way the disks have been mastered, as there seems to be something that is totally "non standard" about the audio -

What worries me with this, is that Blu-ray as a format is never going to gain much confidence in users if you can't just play a disc properly - Consumers don't expect to have to upgrade their players every few years!
post #538 of 663 Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcfoley View Post

Hi there, I've had problems with Playback with my Samsung Samsung BD-P1400/XEU.
What is unusual in terms of the theories I've read about being receiver/amp related is that in my case it is not, as I don't have a receiver plugged in, merely the player HDMI'd up to the TV, which is UE46C6000.

Star Wars Ep 4 - audio drop out about half a second, at least once a minute consistently. Made it impossible to hear most of the dialogue properly through the film.

Star Wars Ep 5 - not quite so bad, audio drop outs regular as before, this time at a slower interval, approx every 2-3 minutes, and approx 1/4 of a second making it less distracting to watch, but still highly annoying

Star Wars Ep 6 - very occasional audio glitches.

From what I can see, especially on Ep6, it seemed to occur during extremely loud scenes, e.g. explosions, fight scenes etc.

Even updated firmware to latest version - and no improvements.

Also tried switching between bitstream and PCM sound on BDP audio settings as suggested in other forums, no change, same problems.

Whats worse for me is the main reason I bought the discs is to watch the extras - every time I try watching the extras the menus freeze and I have to reboot the player - utterly frustrating and ridiculous.

What do we do, return the discs so Lucasfilm gets their house in order? Do I buy a new player (seems daft, surely a blu-ray player is just that, and should just work with any disc).

I think this is something to do with the way the disks have been mastered, as there seems to be something that is totally "non standard" about the audio -

What worries me with this, is that Blu-ray as a format is never going to gain much confidence in users if you can't just play a disc properly - Consumers don't expect to have to upgrade their players every few years!

Do you have a BD-UP5000 or a BD-p1400/XEU? in your title you say UP5000, but in the body BD-P1400. You likely have a failing loader in your player, unless you have a p1400 and may be a completely different issue? I haven't had any issues with any of my 5 BD-UP5000s and these titles, at least the reported problem spots.
post #539 of 663 Old 12-17-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Just got an Oppo 93.
Still no 6th channel in ROTJ when using PCM via HDMI.

Oppo confirmed that problem to me with my 83. Fortunately, an update to my Pioneer receiver in the last week has brought bitstream back surrounds back into play on Star Wars, at least on episodes IV and V where I've checked. Episode V reportedly has only about 21 seconds of back surround! I'm assuming it'll work on ROTJ, though I haven't gotten around to that one again yet.

Oppo's track record says they'll fix it with PCM, but it didn't happen on the last update. It does take a good bit to run a fix through the system, what with all the doublechecks it must take to be sure nothing old breaks with a new firmware update.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #540 of 663 Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Hi mr Kludge - Sorry, originally got the model number wrong, I did correct it in the message body but forgot to edit the title. It is indeed the BD-p1400/XEU, and all other discs (non-Star Wars) all work fine, so its pretty clear its an issue with the way the discs have been encoded for the Complete Star Wars set, that the player just doesn't like.

I've since complained to Samsung, realising that like most people after read a lot of postings too on here and other forums all we can do is wait for an update. Presumably returning the discs to play.com isn't going to do any good.

So much for blu-ray being a standard! So it now makes me wonder how good Samsung are in terms of bothering to regularly update firmware on older players that regularly, or is it driven by the amounts of moaning from users?

Thanks for letting me know your BD-UP5000 machines are ok with the discs, could you tell me what the loading time like in terms of minutes on your model - I keep wanting to buy a faster more recent player, as mine often take 2-3 minutes to start up (presumably due to those lovely but unneccessary java animated menus)
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page