Experiencing audio dropouts on Star Wars? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Audio or video issues with Star Wars? Please select your player and receiver.
Player: Panasonic 0 0%
Player: Pioneer 0 0%
Player: Samsung 0 0%
Player: Oppo 0 0%
Player: PS3 1 100.00%
Player: Other 0 0%
Receiver: Pioneer 0 0%
Receiver: Denon 0 0%
Receiver: Onkyo 0 0%
Receiver: Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 663 Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Onkyo just released a firmware update for xxx9 receivers that appears to resolve the DTS bomb issue when skipping chapters in episode IV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 663 Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
But not for the 906, proving me right.

I do find it ironic that's THX approved DTS HD Master Audio track can't be bitstreamed to a THX approved receiver without issues...

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #543 of 663 Old 12-21-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
bitstreams through THX fine on my rc270 onkyo receiver just fine.

Jacob
post #544 of 663 Old 12-21-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Check the Samsung BD-P1400 thread starting at this link. Someone else in the UK with the UK set and I assume UK p1400 was having issues until they upgraded to the latest firmware which if I remember right is/was 2.5 and it fixed their issues. If you are relying on the player to update over the Internet via the network port you are out of luck. Samsung stopped providing the latest code over the network port several updates ago YMMV depending on model. You will need to download the update ISO and burn the ISO to a CD to update it. Don't just write the ISO file to a data CD, use the ISO to burn and create the disc. This will probably solve your issue. Many owners of the older Sammy players are running into issues like this with newer releases assuming their player is at the latest code. There is code out there on the server to update it, but it is not the newest.

To check what firmware you are running you press and hold the info button on the remote while the tray is ejected and it will show you the version. You have to compare the date stamp in the code to when the firmware was released and check it against the filename etc. that you download and are on the ISO you burn. I'm not sure of the correct string, but you should have code released late last year/early this to be current. ISO should be on the Sammy support site, but they have been mucking with it this week, so depending on when you check it may or may not be there or easy to find.

I just checked the Samsung.co.uk support website and they do have 2.5 posted released 8 April 2011.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mo.../XEU-downloads

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20954343

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcfoley View Post

Hi mr Kludge - Sorry, originally got the model number wrong, I did correct it in the message body but forgot to edit the title. It is indeed the BD-p1400/XEU, and all other discs (non-Star Wars) all work fine, so its pretty clear its an issue with the way the discs have been encoded for the Complete Star Wars set, that the player just doesn't like.

I've since complained to Samsung, realising that like most people after read a lot of postings too on here and other forums all we can do is wait for an update. Presumably returning the discs to play.com isn't going to do any good.

So much for blu-ray being a standard! So it now makes me wonder how good Samsung are in terms of bothering to regularly update firmware on older players that regularly, or is it driven by the amounts of moaning from users?

Thanks for letting me know your BD-UP5000 machines are ok with the discs, could you tell me what the loading time like in terms of minutes on your model - I keep wanting to buy a faster more recent player, as mine often take 2-3 minutes to start up (presumably due to those lovely but unneccessary java animated menus)

post #545 of 663 Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Better break open my set so I can vote.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #546 of 663 Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yikes... where's the update for the Onkyo 3008/5008 . *sigh*
post #547 of 663 Old 12-21-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I told you Onkyo wouldn't fix anything before the xx09 models.

That makes me awesome.
post #548 of 663 Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 PM

I have an Onkyo 876 AVR and have had the bomb several times tonight in Ep 4(ANH) when rewinding and then pressing play. (I haven't made it to chapter 16 yet, and I will switch my player to output PCM beforehand). I also had the bomb in Ep 2(AOTC) also when rewinding and then pressing play.
post #549 of 663 Old 12-29-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I find this mess upsetting, deeply upsetting. DTS HD-Master Audio provides same quality as every other lossless encoding scheme, but is responsible for so many issues. The "continuous innovation" of Blu-Ray authoring is also a nightmare.

That makes me awesome.
post #550 of 663 Old 12-29-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

I find this mess upsetting, deeply upsetting. DTS HD-Master Audio provides same quality as every other lossless encoding scheme, but is responsible for so many issues. The "continuous innovation" of Blu-Ray authoring is also a nightmare.

It's the reason I use HDMI LPCM for all material now: kinda negates the reason to own a complex AVR.

Isn't the real issue with the way DTS is authored and not the AVRs, since there are many DTS soundtracks already out there that don't create a bomb on susceptible equipment? I think it is up to the studios to fix this compatibility issue, not the manufacturers.
post #551 of 663 Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I have an Integra DHC-40.1 preamp and a PS3. I've had ZERO issues with any bluray so far. I can imagine though, that in the not too distant future that some issue may come up. Thankfully, with the PS3, I can always do updates, with the Integra support dying soon...

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #552 of 663 Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I have an Integra DHC-40.1 preamp and a PS3. I've had ZERO issues with any bluray so far. I can imagine though, that in the not too distant future that some issue may come up. Thankfully, with the PS3, I can always do updates, with the Integra support dying soon...

You have an issue you don't know about.

When the PS3 decodes ROTJ to PCM, the 6th and 7th channels are mute.

That makes me awesome.
post #553 of 663 Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSquared View Post

I have an Onkyo 876 AVR and have had the bomb several times tonight in Ep 4(ANH) when rewinding and then pressing play. (I haven't made it to chapter 16 yet, and I will switch my player to output PCM beforehand). I also had the bomb in Ep 2(AOTC) also when rewinding and then pressing play.

Same receiver same problem, at this point I don't think Onkyo bothered itself to do anything. Frustrating rally
post #554 of 663 Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just wanted to report no issues with my Pioneer Elite SC-07 using a Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD player (latest firmware, 2.72) bitstreaming Star Wars IV. No audio drop outs or DTS bomb at chapter 16.
post #555 of 663 Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 AM

any updates regarding Onkyo 876?
post #556 of 663 Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Onkyo? Don't even bother buying another one... They have not been answering my emails or returning my phone calls. I have a 905 and a 906 and am still awaiting for a fix. It's been four long months since the issue arose and they are too incompetent or lazy to figure the problem out. I think Denon and Pioneer had fixed the issue about two months into the time frame. Basically, i think Onkyo is hanging us out to dry...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #557 of 663 Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Huh. Updating to latest TMT solved my issues. Onkyo 605

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #558 of 663 Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll just get a Marantz pre-pro and an Outlaw Amp when the upgrade bug hits. Onkyo has lost me as a customer.

That makes me awesome.
post #559 of 663 Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Lesson learned indeed, relatively low price wasn’t so low after all
Quote:

Huh. Updating to latest TMT solved my issues. Onkyo 605

Is it compatible with 876? how to get this file?
post #560 of 663 Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Still no problems the Star Wars boxset, but had an audio drop out with Star Wars The Clone Wars Series 3 which is the first of the 3 seasons to be encoded in DTS HDMA. There was simply no sound until I stopped the disc, ejected and reloaded. All good after that.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #561 of 663 Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Im still a fan of Onkyo & Onkyo pro but they havnt returned any of my calls or emails,cant we just set are players to pcm instead of bitstream to stop the dts bomb but not knowing when to would be the issue.
post #562 of 663 Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM

I just got an email reply from Onkyo support. They said to retry the update for my 5008. There is no firmware posted on the website but my receiver IS downloading new firmware as I type this. Exciting even though it's 3 months late.

I'll reply later tonight to report if the bombs are gone.

again this is for the TX-NR5008 (which should be good for the 3008 as well), and it's NOT on the website, but online update is working.
post #563 of 663 Old 01-10-2012, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Im still a fan of Onkyo & Onkyo pro but they havnt returned any of my calls or emails,cant we just set are players to pcm instead of bitstream to stop the dts bomb but not knowing when to would be the issue.

For a time, I was having issues with Dolby True HD sound tracks and the quick fix solution was to set the player to PCM. Player at the time was a Samsung.

The issue raised with Star Wars is the fact that it is 6.1 and some people are concerned about losing the back surround channel. From experiments on my own system (Phillips player, Pioneer AVR), the back surround channel is not lost, rather folded back into the surrounds of the 5.1 system now delivered at PCM. You do lose the 'discrete' aspect of 6.1, but you still hear the full soundtrack if you have a 7.1 system through the use of matrix decoders like THX EX or Cinema 2. Not perfect, but way better than drop outs or buzzing.

Mark Techer

post #564 of 663 Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel View Post

I just got an email reply from Onkyo support. They said to retry the update for my 5008. There is no firmware posted on the website but my receiver IS downloading new firmware as I type this. Exciting even though it's 3 months late.

I'll reply later tonight to report if the bombs are gone.

again this is for the TX-NR5008 (which should be good for the 3008 as well), and it's NOT on the website, but online update is working.

Firmware version 1081-0600-0310-2101 does NOT fix the bitstream bombs for my TX-NR5008. It's in all the same places on each movie as before the update.
post #565 of 663 Old 01-10-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

For a time, I was having issues with Dolby True HD sound tracks and the quick fix solution was to set the player to PCM. Player at the time was a Samsung.

The issue raised with Star Wars is the fact that it is 6.1 and some people are concerned about losing the back surround channel. From experiments on my own system (Phillips player, Pioneer AVR), the back surround channel is not lost, rather folded back into the surrounds of the 5.1 system now delivered at PCM. You do lose the 'discrete' aspect of 6.1, but you still hear the full soundtrack if you have a 7.1 system through the use of matrix decoders like THX EX or Cinema 2. Not perfect, but way better than drop outs or buzzing.

Yes but it still gets sent out as 6.1 cpm with a silent Back surround channel.
You can't add THX-Surround EX to something that the receiver already thinks is in 6/7.1. So yes back surround is folded into the rear surrounds but the Oppos and the PS3 still send out a 6.1 LPCM track with an empty back channel.

That makes me awesome.
post #566 of 663 Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes but it still gets sent out as 6.1 cpm with a silent Back surround channel.
You can't add THX-Surround EX to something that the receiver already thinks is in 6/7.1.

Had a play with my system and THX works, but Cinema 2 and EX modes are disabled because the AVR thinks the input is discrete all the time. All I can select is THX Cinema, THX Music or THX Game and all 8 channel lights are on. I got the same for my PC connected over HDMI as well even for 2CH music. All 8 lights are on yet sound comes from front L and R only.

Quote:

So yes back surround is folded into the rear surrounds but the Oppos and the PS3 still send out a 6.1 LPCM track with an empty back channel.

So where does the OPPO and PS3 send the 6th channel to? If it is doing this properly, it should either send it to both back surrounds or simply fold it back into the surrounds of the main 5.1 mix. Mine appears to fold. The point I am making is that you don't lose that back surround info, you still hear it. Again, not perfect, but better than dropouts.

Mark Techer

post #567 of 663 Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The Oppo/PS3 sends the 6th channel into the Rear Surrounds, but the signal coming into the receiver is still 6.1 PCM.

So yes you don't loose any audio information, but in this configuration you can never matrix out the 6th channel from the rear Surrounds.
Leaving you with a phantom Back Surround.

That makes me awesome.
post #568 of 663 Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Does Return of the Jedi have any "DTS Bombs"?

That makes me awesome.
post #569 of 663 Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So yes you don't loose any audio information, but in this configuration you can never matrix out the 6th channel from the rear Surrounds.
Leaving you with a phantom Back Surround.

Correct and what I system appears to be doing when set to PCM.

Mark Techer

post #570 of 663 Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just wanted to post I watched through all 6 movies without issues with my Oppo 83 and Onkyo 605 which was previously patched for the DTS bomb years ago.

I will say I found the overall level of the audio to be quite low compared to other similar mixes and even the menu sound.

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVD Profiler
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page