Experiencing audio dropouts on Star Wars? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Audio or video issues with Star Wars? Please select your player and receiver.
Player: Panasonic 0 0%
Player: Pioneer 0 0%
Player: Samsung 0 0%
Player: Oppo 0 0%
Player: PS3 1 100.00%
Player: Other 0 0%
Receiver: Pioneer 0 0%
Receiver: Denon 0 0%
Receiver: Onkyo 0 0%
Receiver: Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 663 Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I think you will find that no player can internally decode DTS HDMA or DDTrHD and out put the 6.1 soundtrack as 6.1 PCM. I think what you will find is that the output stream is 8ch (7.1) and two of these channels will not contain any signal (ie the LBS/RBS). The 6th channel of the 6.1 soundtrack will be folded back to the LS and RS. Because all 8 (7.1) channels are discrete, there is no way to post decode process this to steer the back surround channel to the back surround speakers. This is certainly the case with the 2 players I have owned.

For the decoders in the AVR to work, they need to receive the raw data from the disc and not a decoded to PCM version.

Oppo's output used to output 6.1 lpcm from DTS HDMA 6.1, but not on Return of the Jedi.
They fixed all that so now it does put out the rear surrounds on ROTJ in LPCM mode.
Everythings fixed for me.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 663 Old 03-14-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I think you will find that no player can internally decode DTS HDMA or DDTrHD and out put the 6.1 soundtrack as 6.1 PCM. I think what you will find is that the output stream is 8ch (7.1) and two of these channels will not contain any signal (ie the LBS/RBS). The 6th channel of the 6.1 soundtrack will be folded back to the LS and RS. Because all 8 (7.1) channels are discrete, there is no way to post decode process this to steer the back surround channel to the back surround speakers. This is certainly the case with the 2 players I have owned.

For the decoders in the AVR to work, they need to receive the raw data from the disc and not a decoded to PCM version.

In a perfect world 6.1 bitstream should send the single SRB out both SRB channels in a 7.1 system (actually the AVR should be smart enough to do that). Also decoding internal and outputting LPCM SHOULD also do the same. I will have to check my system when I get a chance, but I am pretty sure that when I input LPCM from my Sammy that it does exactly that. Bitstream shows only 6.1 and a single SRB input and 7.1 output. I currently only run 5.1 and in both the case of 6.1 either bitstream or LPCM the SRB channel(s) get folded into the rear surrounds. With the bitstream the AVR splits (or Ys if you prefer) the SRB into the surrounds and with bitstream it knows to fold each side into the respective rear surround. In the end you get basically the same result. unfortunately it would be hard to impossible for me to tall at all what is happening without hooking up a pair of speakers to my surround back posts. However I am almost 100% sure that my player handles this correctly (which can't be said for everything with that player).

All this updating to players/AVRs to handle 6.1 properly for a newer release where older ones worked fine should give us pause and question the integrity of software (or the operators of said software) used to master the DTS-HD MA or DDTHD soundtrack. All of this stuff was figured out and standardized eons ago (at least in HD audio history).
post #633 of 663 Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

In a perfect world 6.1 bitstream should send the single SRB out both SRB channels in a 7.1 system (actually the AVR should be smart enough to do that).

Don't you mean the player? I agree. Decoded audio should exactly what was encoded because in the end of the day, it should all be PCM after decoding.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #634 of 663 Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Everything is fine now.

That makes me awesome.
post #635 of 663 Old 03-19-2012, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

What Denon did you have? AFsIK Denon issued fixes for all of their AVRs before Starwars even released (was detected on older titles and just happened to fix SW as well). I recall it being late '10 or early '11 for that and SW did not release to BD until Sep. or Oct.? Possibly you did not know about the fix or you were one of the lucky people that spent a little extra for a network or serial upgradable unit that just happened not to get a fix?

I had the 2309CI .I had no issues until SW.

May the Force be with you.
post #636 of 663 Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 PM

Onkyo has fixed the issue for the 5008/3008 with the latest firmware they've released at the end of March.

The first ship flyby in Episode 1... while chapter skipping, no longer gives the bomb which it used to 100% of the time. I've skipped around throughout the first 30 min or so of the movie and have been satisfied thus far though I've not listened to the rest of the movie nor the other 2.

There is a tiny muted high pop in place of the bomb. It's about the same volume as the volume should be, sounds almost like an old record player when the needle first touches the record, but it's harmless, and just a split second but equally consistent.

I'll take it over the bomb. At least it's fixed.
post #637 of 663 Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Player: Oppo BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-2809
Episode(s) affected:4
Player set to Bitstream or PCM:Bitstream

Additional comments: At the very beginning of Episode 4 at the "a long time ago" screen I get a lot of loud screeching digital noise until the Star Wars title screen appears then it goes away and it sounds fine. For the rest of the movie though audio cuts out, pops, skips, etc. My Oppo is updated to the latest firmware.

post #638 of 663 Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaudio View Post

Player: Oppo BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-2809
Episode(s) affected:4
Player set to Bitstream or PCM:Bitstream

Additional comments: At the very beginning of Episode 4 at the "a long time ago" screen I get a lot of loud screeching digital noise until the Star Wars title screen appears then it goes away and it sounds fine. For the rest of the movie though audio cuts out, pops, skips, etc. My Oppo is updated to the latest firmware.

Have you upgraded your Denon receiver?

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #639 of 663 Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

Have you upgraded your Denon receiver?

Not yet but I am going to

post #640 of 663 Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Upgraded the firmware of the Denon but I still have the same issue. During the "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…" screen of Episode 4 I get a lot of digital noise only through my surround and surround back channels. Once the it goes away then into the Star Wars title screen the audio is fine no more digital noise. However for the rest of the film the audio randomly drops out, skips, pops, clicks, etc.

post #641 of 663 Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

bad disc?

That makes me awesome.
post #642 of 663 Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If the player is configured to send out the signal undecoded to the receiver and it has the problem, then the receiver is at fault.

If the player is sending the signal decoded to the receiver and still having issues, then the likely culprit would be either the player or disc...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #643 of 663 Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

If the player is configured to send out the signal undecoded to the receiver and it has the problem, then the receiver is at fault.

If the player is sending the signal decoded to the receiver and still having issues, then the likely culprit would be either the player or disc...

Ok so I set my Oppo to output LPCM audio instead of bitstreaming and the audio was fixed. So would that mean the problem lies in the Oppo or the disc?

post #644 of 663 Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It points to the Oppo.... Did you download the latest firmware?

post #645 of 663 Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

It points to the Oppo.... Did you download the latest firmware?

Yes the Oppo has the latest firmware. So hopefully a future firmware upgrade will fix it?

post #646 of 663 Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Please explain how this is an Oppo problem.
post #647 of 663 Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have this issue.

That makes me awesome.
post #648 of 663 Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok so I set my Oppo to output LPCM audio instead of bitstreaming and the audio was fixed. So would that mean the problem lies in the Oppo or the disc?

Actually it points to the receiver since the problem is when you are sending Bitstream

Are you sure the firmware update for the receiver completed properly?

-
post #649 of 663 Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffda View Post

Please explain how this is an Oppo problem.

Well, does it only happen on Oppo players?

It sure isn't a LG problem.. they play fine on my player.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #650 of 663 Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Well, does it only happen on Oppo players?

It sure isn't a LG problem.. they play fine on my player.

My point is that it seems like a receiver problem. When the Oppo decodes, all is good. When the receiver decodes, all is not good.
post #651 of 663 Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

if the Oppo is streaming the decoded signal and the problem occurs, then it would be an Oppo problem. If he streams the native signal for the receiver to decode and it is okay, then it would point to the Oppo.

post #652 of 663 Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

Actually it points to the receiver since the problem is when you are sending Bitstream

Are you sure the firmware update for the receiver completed properly?

I am pretty sure the firmware on the receiver updated with no issues. However I can not find in the Denon menu where it would say if the firmware has been updated. I will connect the Denon to my computer again to check to make sure another update is not available. Currently though to the best of my knowledge the Oppo and the Denon are up to date so I really can't do anything else but wait for a fix. Until the fix happens if I want to watch episode 4 I can just switch the audio output to LPCM. It is not a complete fix but it is a band aid for now.

post #653 of 663 Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I am pretty sure the firmware on the receiver updated with no issues. However I can not find in the Denon menu where it would say if the firmware has been updated. I will connect the Denon to my computer again to check to make sure another update is not available. Currently though to the best of my knowledge the Oppo and the Denon are up to date so I really can't do anything else but wait for a fix. Until the fix happens if I want to watch episode 4 I can just switch the audio output to LPCM. It is not a complete fix but it is a band aid for now.

Hi dabaudio, did you lose your Audyssey settings after the firmware update? If not maybe it didn't take but click here to read on the firmware update posted by jdsmoothie.

Also click here to read the "Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread" where others was having this issue but was correct with updated firmware.
post #654 of 663 Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Did you reset the microprocessor before attempting to install the new firmware? If not, then nothing changed. To check your Main version # firmware on your Denon - using the buttons on the front panel display (not the remote) first turn the AVR ON, then power it OFF (not in Standby). Then turn the power of the AVR-2309 on, while holding both [DIMMER] button and [STATUS] button on the front panel simultaneously. After the unit powers on, each time the STATUS button is pressed, it will cycle through the various software version numbers including the MAIN version. Remember resetting the microprocessor causes you to lose your Audyssey settings and they will have to be redone.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #655 of 663 Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi dabaudio, did you lose your Audyssey settings after the firmware update? If not maybe it didn't take but click here to read on the firmware update posted by jdsmoothie.

Also click here to read the "Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread" where others was having this issue but was correct with updated firmware.

I did not lose my Audyssey settings after the firmware update. When I get home tonight I will have to reset the microprocessor and try to update the firmware again.

post #656 of 663 Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Well it turns out all I needed to do was rest the microprocessor and it fixed the audio issues. I tried updating the firmware and it said that I was already updated to the most current version. I check the version it said I was Main Version 00.65 Sub Version 00.15. Which are neither the versions I thought it would be. However I checked the audio and it worked flawlessly. So I will take it. Thank you to everyone for all your help it is much appreciated.

post #657 of 663 Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Player: Samsung BDD6500
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3000
Episode(s) affected: IV, V, VI
Player set to Bitstream or PCM: Bitstream

Additional comments: Have there been reports of audio drop outs with the Yamaha Aventage line of receivers? I have been having the problem regularly, but randomly with all three discs (DTS-HD 6.1). I do have the latest firmware on the receiver (V 3.20). I recently returned the Samsung unit for "repair as I thought the player was responsible. The player was returned with a clean bill of health. Yamaha support reports no problems with blu ray disc playback.
post #658 of 663 Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDr View Post

Player: Samsung BDD6500
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3000
Episode(s) affected: IV, V, VI
Player set to Bitstream or PCM: Bitstream

Additional comments: Have there been reports of audio drop outs with the Yamaha Aventage line of receivers? I have been having the problem regularly, but randomly with all three discs (DTS-HD 6.1). I do have the latest firmware on the receiver (V 3.20). I recently returned the Samsung unit for "repair as I thought the player was responsible. The player was returned with a clean bill of health. Yamaha support reports no problems with blu ray disc playback.

If your sending Bitstream the problem would most likely be with the receiver. Try setting your player to PCM then test again

-
post #659 of 663 Old 05-16-2012, 06:34 AM

Thanks so much for the prompt response. I did switch to PCM and the problem was not resolved.
post #660 of 663 Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Hi, my 2 cents: Audio out from new Panasonic BDT220 to Denon AVR 2807 via Optical Digital cable; Video out from BDT220 via HDMI 1.4 cable to LG42" 3D:

All the blu ray movie content of all six movie discs and the content of the extras discs have an occasional skipping of the video. My LG screen is set to "Tru-Motion" OFF. 24p output selection of the player On/Off makes no difference.

I have around 200 BD / 3D discs. SW set is the only problem!!! So there is something up with the discs. The Denon handles sound and it is spectacular!

My screen is crisp and clear with any input and the player sends a very clear signal to the screen with NO Glitches with any of my 1,000 titles, EXCEPT this Star Wars set! If I was within my 30 days of AMZN purchase I would return it!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page