Experiencing audio dropouts on Star Wars? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Audio or video issues with Star Wars? Please select your player and receiver.
Player: Panasonic 0 0%
Player: Pioneer 0 0%
Player: Samsung 0 0%
Player: Oppo 0 0%
Player: PS3 1 100.00%
Player: Other 0 0%
Receiver: Pioneer 0 0%
Receiver: Denon 0 0%
Receiver: Onkyo 0 0%
Receiver: Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

I wrote Panasonic about the Star Wars audio problem and I received the following reply:

Unfortunately, I already have a 2GB SD card installed in my BD35 so that suggestion is not going to fix the problem. But at least I've helped get it on Panasonic's radar.

In other news... I watched Episode III, Revenge of the Sith this evening and it lost audio and the image froze up for a few seconds in two places. When I fast reversed the playback and played the offending sections again they played fine.

I'm torn on whether these audio/video issues are being caused by mastering/replication or by players/receivers. Panasonic players are leading in the poll results while receiver brand is more evenly distributed. Hopefully Panasonic will take the reports seriously and issue a firmware update.

Mark

Was the SD card empty by chance?
Since my 2nd player, a Sharp, played it just fine after firmware update, I would think it is a player issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
so are the audio dropouts occurring only in eps 2 and 4?

same 2 movies for the pixelation mess?

neflixis our nemesis
post #93 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

So far, my only issue has been the 2 reported video glitches in EpII on a DMP-BD35. As stated before, I'm currently running audio via optical to receiver-obviously lossy DTS is unaffected in terms of audio bugs. Video is straight to display via component, not HDMI.

Hopefully, the video issues can be resolved either via BD35 update or disc replacement. Not sweating the audio bug....yet. But the day is likely soon that I will need to.

RE: the portion of the quote I put in bold:

This is the first post I've read that indicates lossey DTS (DTS core) wouldn't be affected by the audio bugs. Since I have my Pioneer 320 connected to my non HDMI processor (Anthem AVM20) via optical, I would really like to know if this is indeed the case.

post #94 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

RE: the portion of the quote I put in bold:

This is the first post I've read that indicates lossey DTS (DTS core) wouldn't be affected by the audio bugs. Since I have my Pioneer 320 connected to my non HDMI processor (Anthem AVM20) via optical, I would really like to know if this is indeed the case.

Audio has not been an issue with any of the discs (have watched I-IV all the way thru so far & most of the bouns material). Have only watched while audio is connected via optical. Just the 2 video issues via both HDMI & component @ the 1:19:30 & 2:00:00 points during AOTC.

Still going to give the SD card thing a shot tonight, but am not hopeful.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #95 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

Seems like it might be less hassle to make sure what the audio option is at the beginning of every movie by purposely selecting it to begin with (which, btw is the default), as opposed to using the pause routine and put up with the audio dropouts using bitstream.

Actually, I did check the audio setting before the movie started and I'm 100% sure I selected the 6.1 but ended up with the 5.1 but might have never known if I was feeding PCM to the AVR. I had to go back into the menu and select the 6.1 again and that time I did get the correct indicator on the AVR. This happened twice but may be a quirk with my player so I still prefer sending bitstream to the AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

I contacted Onkyo (and it took them 24 hours to return my call) and explained my problem. They said they my production run of the 906 still had the bad DTS DSP decoder so they are sending me a firmware update to flash the DSP. I am not sure if that is going to fix the issue or not.

I entered a trouble report on line but if I don't hear from them in a couple of days I'll give them a call. Could you please post the phone number you used contact them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

As I noted above, I get the DTS bomb when chapter-skipping. This has never happened before on my Onkyo TX-SR705, which does have the final firmware versions.

I bitstream from my Oppo BDP-80 only because the Onkyo's output is about 5dB louder than LPCM, and since my Onkyo produces a little bit of residual noise at the levels I normally use, bitstreaming effectively reduces that noise by 5dB.

That's my exact AVR model and you state another good reason to bitstream. Also I had updated my 705 with that last firmware to correct the DTS bomb and never had it until now!

Gerry
post #96 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

so are the audio dropouts occurring only in eps 2 and 4?

same 2 movies for the pixelation mess?

From what I have been reading the audio issue goes beyond those two video pixelation spots and to other discs as well.
post #97 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

I entered a trouble report on line but if I don't hear from them in a couple of days I'll give them a call. Could you please post the phone number you used contact them.
Gerry

1-800-229-1687... ext 2639. Ignore the message to call support at the toll number. 2639 will transfer the call to support.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #98 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

I wonder if cinavia is on this disc.
post #99 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

All that's needed is firmware patches for players to read and disregard the new metadata. THX is no longer relevant beyond it's DSP modes.

We have a winner^^^^

<><

RTR
post #100 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
THX's Facebook page started going to work on me, being really mean and petty. Thus proving that I am right.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #101 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

THX's Facebook page started going to work on me, being really mean and petty. Thus proving that I am right.

No question that you are right...can't believe that Lucas would allow this major of a screwup on the biggest Bluray release ever...Wow...this is what happens when you allow engineers too much control.

<><

RTR
post #102 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 PM

they're definitely doing something different with these discs (well, new hope, haven't checked the others).

on WinDVD 11 [PC player], my CPU is max'd out throughout the entire running of the disc (even menus and even when paused). this doesn't happen on any other disc.

this is bad news for my PC as it's overheating the CPU. But that's another story.

i hope this isn't the result of some new security protection fox have added.

EDIT: Should be PowerDVD 11, not WinDVD
post #103 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Better than the problems in 2004. These can be fixed quietly with firmware. Some people won't ever even know anything was wrong.

That makes me awesome.
post #104 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Windvd2010 with gts450 had a few drop outs(hiccups) with Onkyo605 but cpu's normal.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #105 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's my whole exchange with THX on Facebook:

Zolly Becker: Media Director is nothing but a problem. Nobody wants it and all it does is confuse decoders in devices to screw up Star Wars.

David Susilo: How do you know that "nobody wants it"? Have you done a poll? Do you have concrete proof that it confuses decoders in devices? AFAIK Media Director is a metada which is separate from audio video data so in theory it should not be creating the StarWars Saga problems that I've been documenting (more than 260 complaints so far, especially regarding audio dropouts, pixelization and "DTS-bomb")

Zolly Becker: Because the people whom THX means anything to, would rather be tortured to a slow death than let some program alter the settings on their HT gear.
Secondly The SW saga is the only BD on the market that has this metadata. It's the immediate variable that seems to be different than all other releases. "The more they think up the plumbing, the easier it is to clog up the drain."
I'm not some J6p. I know the score, and the score is 80hz baby.

Andy Summers: I've hardly watched the bluray and what I found was that I was watching one of many Laserdisc versions which beats all this hyped up STAR WARS bluray with wet towel be slapped around its face.

THX Ltd.: Hi Zolly,

To take advantage of THX Media Director, your home theater system needs to be Media Director enabled. Otherwise, it does nothing with the associated meta data. And even then, the goal of the technology is only to enhance the entertainment experience, keeping in mind things like personal settings and professionals calibrations -- always offering the option to override any changes. Expect enabled devices to start rolling out in early 2012.

David Susilo: With all due respect Zolly, from what you've written, you don't know what you're talking about. Blaming Media Director for the SW Blu-ray mastering hiccup is like blaming the cat walking in front of your house for the tsunami in Japan. I'm not a fan of Media Director, as THX can attest to, but put the blame where the fault is, which is the lack of QC and compatibility tests on Fox's team.

Zolly Becker: I'm right, your answers proved me so.

Mackey Moose: Do you even understand the English languange? He just proved YOU wrong!!

Mark Levinson: Save your breath, he clearly doesn't know how things work. His logic that metadata is affecting audio or video stream is laughable at best. Next thing you know he complains about CD-Text metadata affecting the quality of his audio CD and the label on his vinyl affecting the sound quality of his turntable playback quality.

Zolly Becker: Don't be mean. I'm just saying adding new things to HDMI makes things weird, it's just how it is.
It's not like I said the DNR'd piece of crap release of T2 Skynet Blu-Ray was good, or said all the errors in the 2004 Star Wars DVD were "creative decisions". Lexicon's BD player is just an Oppo on the inside and you guys approved it even when it's analog outs have a fixed rolloff at 100hz. See I know the score it's 1138- and the only crime is love, you dig.

That makes me awesome.
post #106 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
From Chris over at BigPictureBigSound:

Quote:

Official Response from LucasFilm and Fox
Our contacts at Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and LucasFilm, Ltd. have looked into the issue and have deemed this to be hardware-related. And I quote:

"Should you encounter audio drop outs or an audio playback anomaly within your center surround speaker channel, simply switch your Blu-ray Disc player Audio Output setting from Bitstream to PCM, or consult your AV Receiver manufacturer for further assistance."

So I am seeing firmware updates in our future...

-CB

Mark
post #107 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mark

Somehow life will manage. It may be five dollars for a bottle of water for a few weeks but we will endure. Because the night belongs to Batman!!!!

That makes me awesome.
post #108 of 663 Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 PM

I had a long audio dropout in episode 4. the scene before the Cantina bar scene. I reversed the whole scene back (rewound), and when it played through a second time, the audio played fine. Very strange. I couldn't help but laugh, when I heard the new Krayt Dragon call. All the images from youtube flashed through my head. Especailly the Michael Jackson one. Damn youtube.
post #109 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Finally got to watch Ep VI last night and interestingly no audio dropouts or video issues like pixelation.
post #110 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Official Response from LucasFilm and Fox
Our contacts at Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and LucasFilm, Ltd. have looked into the issue and have deemed this to be hardware-related. And I quote:

"Should you encounter audio drop outs or an audio playback anomaly within your center surround speaker channel, simply switch your Blu-ray Disc player Audio Output setting from Bitstream to PCM, or consult your AV Receiver manufacturer for further assistance."

So I am seeing firmware updates in our future...

-CB

So what does this really mean to all of us? Has it been determined that this is a player issue, receiver issue or a combo of both? If a player issue, I can see Panasonic issuing a firmware update. If a receiver issue, I find it unlikely that Denon will support my almost 3-year old AVR-889 with new firmware. I can live with the whole PCM workaround for the audio but not with the pixellating video issues...
post #111 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post

So what does this really mean to all of us? Has it been determined that this is a player issue, receiver issue or a combo of both? If a player issue, I can see Panasonic issuing a firmware update. If a receiver issue, I find it unlikely that Denon will support my almost 3-year old AVR-889 with new firmware. I can live with the whole PCM workaround for the audio but not with the pixellating video issues...

I'm in the same boat with the 3808ci. *crosses fingers*
post #112 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The only player-specific issue I'm personally aware of is the Panasonic BD35 with some video glitches, which Panasonic is aware of and will hopefully be able to fix. These don't seem to occur on other Panasonic players. Anyone who has video glitches should report them to their player manufacturer for investigation.

The audio issues appear to be receiver-specific and can be worked around by putting the player in PCM mode (which means the receiver won't have to deal with the raw DTS-HD MA stream).

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #113 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is the part that intrigues me. I can bitstream Episodes I and III with out a single problem with the audio but Episode II has numerous audio drop outs.

post #114 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Latest update from Oppo:

"We have confirmed this to be true on the BDP-8x and BDP-9x platforms, at least with Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. We have not tried the other discs in the series to confirm if the same errors occur.

The Surround Back channels are not working with the player set to LPCM (HDMI) or when using the analog outputs."

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

So, at this point we can probably expect Oppo to be all over it if there's anything that can be done on their end.

That is my (A New) Hope.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #115 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

The only player-specific issue I'm personally aware of is the Panasonic BD35 with some video glitches, which Panasonic is aware of and will hopefully be able to fix. These don't seem to occur on other Panasonic players. Anyone who has video glitches should report them to their player manufacturer for investigation.

The audio issues appear to be receiver-specific and can be worked around by putting the player in PCM mode (which means the receiver won't have to deal with the raw DTS-HD MA stream).

-CB

Chris - First, thanks for all your help with these audio and video issues and pursuing the manufacturers to investigate and, hopefully, issue a resolution. Your hard work is greatly appreciated!!!

I have already contacted Panasonic directly and was given the token "insert a 2GB SD card..." response. I replied, explaining I already had one installed and informed them of the video glitches with Episode II. They responded back asking for some player specific information from me (serial number, date of purchase, etc.). Here's hoping they issue a fix as the BD35 is my primary player in my HT. I have BD60 upstairs on another TV and am going to try Episode II on that to see if the glitches still occur or not. I would swap the players, but the BD60 has internet apps and is located about 10' from my router, and I have a hard-wire connection to it, so I prefer it stay where it is.
post #116 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chris - First, thanks for all your help with these audio and video issues and pursuing the manufacturers to investigate and, hopefully, issue a resolution. Your hard work is greatly appreciated!!!

Here Here!
post #117 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I just noticed last night the PS3 has a firmware update. Anyone tried SW after the update?

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #118 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Did anybody get a reply from Denon? I sent them an email 4 days ago and still didn't get a reply
post #119 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I'm in the same boat with the 3808ci. *crosses fingers*

Same here with my 2808. Looks like I may just set my BD player to PCM and leave it. Yes, I'll miss DTS HD lighting up but, whatever.

Also, to LucasFilm and Fox; of course it is a hardware issue, one that is related to whatever new crap you have put on these disc that isn't present on past BDs (ie. THX Media Director or whatever new BD+ junk Fox has thought up).

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #120 of 663 Old 09-22-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Same here with my 2808. Looks like I may just set my BD player to PCM and leave it. Yes, I'll miss DTS HD lighting up but, whatever.

Also, to LucasFilm and Fox; of course it is a hardware issue, one that is related to whatever new crap you have put on these disc that isn't present on past BDs (ie. THX Media Director or whatever new BD+ junk Fox has thought up).

Exactly! None of my other BD's have a "hardware issue".
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page