Liked: 49
Ordered. Thanks for the heads-up!
post #3 of 94 Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Seconded. Really looking forward to this release.
post #4 of 94 Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My order is in!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #5 of 94 Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Great Bernard Herrmann score. (He didn't write many weak ones).

-Bill
post #6 of 94 Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep...ordered mine. A bit pricey but well worth it. Now if Warner will get moving on their Harryhausen movies....(especially The Valley of Gwangi).
post #7 of 94 Old 10-11-2011, 06:16 AM

I just ordered mine. However, $35.00 is real price gouging. I hope there are extras on this. Reminds me too much of the days of Laserdisc and what I used to pay on occasion then. Yuck! However, since we will likely not see this on BD anytime soon, I would jump on it.
post #8 of 94 Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm in. The price does seem steep, but I guess it's becuase "Twilight Time" doesn't make many prints. ...I was delighted to see they also have a print of "The Flim-Flam Man" so I ordered that too. Thanks for pointing me at that site.
post #9 of 94 Old 10-11-2011, 11:18 AM

I just pre-ordered as well. Hope it is worth it.
post #10 of 94 Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM

This title has just shipped. I would appreciate a PQ/AQ review from some of you soon-to-be-owners.

The print used for the DVD was pretty bad. Hopefully they've cleaned it up for the Blu-ray.

Thanks.
post #11 of 94 Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
They should do a BD of "Khartoum".

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #12 of 94 Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Liked: 22
I so adore everything Harryhausen, but with the limited copies, they clearly couldn't have spent too much on a restoration and I'm sure reviews copies are a no go.

So, if someone does get the disc, please post some thoughts ASAP. If it's acceptable, I'll snag it.
post #13 of 94 Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I saw this as a teenager in 1961 and had fond memories of the movie. I purchased the (bad) DVD several months ago and was disappointed that my memories were not matched. This is a poorly shot and acted film with the exception of Herbert Lom. Ray Harryhausen's stop action animation and the Bernard Hermann's score are the only things that have saved this film from obscurity. It's a shame that producers couldn't have put together a bigger budget for a Jules Verne book, the story certainly deserved it. Just my opinion, feel free to fire away.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #14 of 94 Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

I so adore everything Harryhausen, but with the limited copies, they clearly couldn't have spent too much on a restoration and I'm sure reviews copies are a no go.

So, if someone does get the disc, please post some thoughts ASAP. If it's acceptable, I'll snag it.

Sony owns this title and did the transfer.
Twilight Time has contracted the distribution.
No extras allowed.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #15 of 94 Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I saw this as a teenager in 1961 and had fond memories of the movie. I purchased the (bad) DVD several months ago and was disappointed that my memories were not matched.

For me, it has stood the test of time. I remember having fun watching it on television back in the late 60s and early 70s...and I still have fun watching it now.

And that incredible Herrmann score! That's something I appreciate even more today.

Maybe it helps that I don't have any illusion other than it being a modestly budgeted Harryhausen/Schneer/Sci-Fi/Adventure film of the Sixties. By today's standards they're kind of cheesy, but when I was an impressionable youngster, these films (along with my heightened imagination) made the world of fantasy come true.

I guess the heart & soul of that impressionable youngster still lives within me.
post #16 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

Maybe it helps that I don't have any illusion other than it being a modestly budgeted Harryhausen/Schneer/Sci-Fi/Adventure film of the Sixties. By today's standards they're kind of cheesy, but when I was an impressionable youngster, these films (along with my heightened imagination) made the world of fantasy come true.

I guess the heart & soul of that impressionable youngster still lives within me.

Welcome to the club, pal

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #17 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The misinformation in regards to TT's releases is rampant on this board. First off, they do send out review copies of both their DVDs and BDs, though typically not in advance. Secondly, in terms of "not spending on a restoration" -- this transfer comes directly from the studio. How many films released on Blu-Ray have been fully "restored" to begin with? This will look like Sony's other Harryhausen BD's most likely. Third, someone said "no extras allowed" -- TT has put extras on some of their releases (isolated scores for the most part), so that's not true either.
post #18 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

The misinformation in regards to TT's releases is rampant on this board. First off, they do send out review copies of both their DVDs and BDs, though typically not in advance. (snip)

The problem with this is, many people especially for these kind of releases are first day buyers especially because these are "limited releases" so if there are issues with a new release, a great number of purchasers still get stuck with undesirable product because there was no advance reviews available to inform potential customers of such issues.

I'm not saying this has been or may ever will be a problem with Twilight Time releases, but from my point of view and I suspect a good number of other interested customers, not only would it be nice to have a few advance reviews to consult but it would be a good (and free) marketing tool for releases are are exemplary that some may not otherwise be inclined to buy.

T.B.
post #19 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

And that incredible Herrmann score! That's something I appreciate even more today.

So true. I'm a fan of film scores and I've been listening to portions of Herrmann's Mysterious Island score for many years. One of the things that blows me away is the score for the giant Bees. The way Herrmann re-created, musically and texturally, the sound of bees humming with the string parts is
sheer perfection.

I like the score so much that I'm kind of afraid to re-visit the movie, lest it put crappier, more disappointing images in my head to replace the ones so beautifully evoked by listening to the score.
post #20 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Welcome to the club, pal

Proud to be a member.
post #21 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I like the score so much that I'm kind of afraid to re-visit the movie, lest it put crappier, more disappointing images in my head to replace the ones so beautifully evoked by listening to the score.

I don't know what to tell ya, clearly there is a risk. But the bee sequence you speak of was done really well in the film (especially if you understand the technological limitations of a film shot in 1961). And if the bees don't do it for ya, there's always the scantily glad beauty to look at.
post #22 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 02:17 PM

Received my copy today, just finished watching with my boys...movie is uneven. Looks great for the most part, but there are some really bad looking scenes. More troublesome however were the 4 audio dropouts and one momentary freeze where the movie paused and then jumped forward three seconds. This happened in the balloon scene at the beginning. I will test out the disc on my other players and see if it is a repeatable error. Still like the movie, but I was hoping for better. The score does sound great! And my six year old and almost 4 year old were enthralled.
post #23 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

Received my copy today, just finished watching with my boys...movie is uneven. Looks great for the most part, but there are some really bad looking scenes. More troublesome however were the 4 audio dropouts and one momentary freeze where the movie paused and then jumped forward three seconds. This happened in the balloon scene at the beginning. I will test out the disc on my other players and see if it is a repeatable error. Still like the movie, but I was hoping for better. The score does sound great! And my six year old and almost 4 year old were enthralled.

Hmm hopefully not a bad run of discs, that would be tragic considering the price...

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #24 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Looks pretty good considering the movie only place I would complain is in the encoding as they used poor settings as the grain could have a better structure.
I could do better than most studios when it comes to encoding using x264 open source decoder with blu-ray complaint settings anywho. I am overall satisfied to get it. Looks to me like
to high setting on the inloop deblocker among a few other things.
post #25 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

The problem with this is, many people especially for these kind of releases are first day buyers especially because these are "limited releases" so if there are issues with a new release, a great number of purchasers still get stuck with undesirable product because there was no advance reviews available to inform potential customers of such issues.

I'm not saying this has been or may ever will be a problem with Twilight Time releases, but from my point of view and I suspect a good number of other interested customers, not only would it be nice to have a few advance reviews to consult but it would be a good (and free) marketing tool for releases are are exemplary that some may not otherwise be inclined to buy.

T.B.

Maybe intentional. Think about it. "Limited" edition -> artificial scarcity -> premium price gouging. Now if youre gonna take a 10 year old crummy DVD transfer and "enhance" it for your new BD release, why on earth would you want to send out advance review copies to reviewers and give those collectors time to cancel their orders if the perception after the reviews is that the release is not up to the collectors standards. Follow the money. Call me cynical......
post #26 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM

post #27 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Maybe intentional. Think about it. "Limited" edition -> artificial scarcity -> premium price gouging. Now if youre gonna take a 10 year old crummy DVD transfer and "enhance" it for your new BD release, why on earth would you want to send out advance review copies to reviewers and give those collectors time to cancel their orders if the perception after the reviews is that the release is not up to the collectors standards. Follow the money. Call me cynical......

In case you are local, let me know ASAP if you're interested (via PM at Blu-ray.com) and I can leave tix for you and one guest at the Will Call window for tomorrow afternoon - http://www.americancinemathequecalen...rious-island-0

I think that upon viewing this motion picture in digital projection in an unforgiving fashion vis-a-vie on a really BIG screen and listening to the panel discussion following the presentation for some background on the subject, your cynicism will be alleviated.
post #28 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

You know, you could be called a lot worse than cynical for making suppositions which you clearly know nothing about in terms of this release. But, I shall refrain. The Mysterious Island Blu, which I saw an advance copy of three weeks ago, is splendid. No freezing or jumping on my player, but it is dual layered and that does happen occasionally with dual layered discs. As has been stated here and ignored by you, this transfer is licensed from Sony - Sony will not license ANYTHING that is, according to Grover Crisp, not ready for Blu-ray. There are no DVD transfers being licensed to anyone - they make brand new transfers using the latest technology. The word "restored" and or "restoration" has been rendered meaningless by people on these boards and by the studios themselves. If the negative is in good shape, there is no restoration - just a good transfer will do the trick, and Sony does good transfers.

As to someone's pontification that the image is uneven, of course it's uneven - half the film is multi-pass opticals and uneven is standard issue for that - the production non-optical photography looks just as it should - sharp and beautiful. Anytime an optical occurs, especially one with more than one optical element, will of course have a degraded, less sharp, and grainer look.
post #29 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub24ox7 View Post

Looks pretty good considering the movie only place I would complain is in the encoding as they used poor settings as the grain could have a better structure.
I could do better than most studios when it comes to encoding using x264 open source decoder with blu-ray complaint settings anywho. I am overall satisfied to get it. Looks to me like
to high setting on the inloop deblocker among a few other things.

Please let us all know how you have such expertise about the grain structure of this film and with encoding. I'm sure many of us a genuinely curious - there are an awful lot of "experts" out there who don't seem to be doing this for a living. Somehow, I trust Grover Crisp and the authoring house, 1K Studios, more than someone who doesn't do this for a living. Having used 1K Studios as an authoring facility, they are, I'm afraid to tell you, as good as it gets - they do great work.
post #30 of 94 Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 323
The image is better than I was expecting. Better than Jason and the Argonauts, for example. It's also the correct aspect ratio: the DVD was trimmed from 1.66 to something close to 1.78.

It varies from scene to scene, but that's the nature of the source. Brightly lit direct photography, say on the beach and in the rocks, shows fine detail. I did not see any excessive sharpening.

The colors seem a bit desaturated, especially the tropical greens, but that may be the nature of the film stock. Any memories I may have of seeing this on film are unreliable.

Subtitles. Three audio tracks: original mono, 5.1 DTS HD MA, and isolated score. Two trailers.

Eight page booklet and a Mysterious Island refrigerator magnet.

Over all, well done. I think people need to be aware of the look of the source when judging this.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page